The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6: ODYSSEY- Hype Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
Ad Astra is on my list too. I haven't gotten to it yet but it's up there
Parasite and ad astra are the twoficks I hope to catch on my flight to Korea
Hey I saw it on a plane too!

I thought it was pretty good, of course space-themed movies though are my favorite so I'm probably biased

I liked the music choices too it sounded like could have worked as background music in Wonders of Life

kmbmw777

Saw Knives Out yesterday, so I thought I would rank all of the 2019 releases that I have seen.

17. Alita Battle Angel
16. Aladdin
15. Frozen 2
14. Captain Marvel
13. Joker
12. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
11. Shazam!
10. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
9. Yesterday
8. Zombieland 2
7. Toy Story 4
6. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
5. Detective Pikachu
4. Spiderman: Far From Home
3. Jojo Rabbit
2. Knives out
1. Avengers: Endgame

PerGron

Saw Knives Out yesterday, so I thought I would rank all of the 2019 releases that I have seen.

17. Alita Battle Angel
16. Aladdin
15. Frozen 2
14. Captain Marvel
13. Joker
12. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
11. Shazam!
10. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
9. Yesterday
8. Zombieland 2
7. Toy Story 4
6. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
5. Detective Pikachu
4. Spiderman: Far From Home
3. Jojo Rabbit
2. Knives out

I’m glad others saw Jojo Rabbit! I feel like that was such a sleeper and nobody went to see it, despite it having a lot of buzz beforehand.

Here’s my ranking (so far, I’m still watching movies all through tomorrow for my own arbitrary deadlines)

kmbmw777

I’m glad others saw Jojo Rabbit! I feel like that was such a sleeper and nobody went to see it, despite it having a lot of buzz beforehand.

Here’s my ranking (so far, I’m still watching movies all through tomorrow for my own arbitrary deadlines)

I really need to see once upon a time in Hollywood

Flippin'Flounder

Just saw ROS and I really liked it. I think it was a great ending for Star Wars, especially with what they had to work with after TLJ. Hopefully Disney starts treating Star Wars like Marvel, they need to have a plan ahead of time for the franchise to work. Anyway, here's my ranking of movies I saw in 2019.

11. Five Feet Apart
10. Cats
9. A Dog's Journey
8. Rocketman
7. Detective Pikachu
6. Captain Marvel
5. Spider-Man: Far From Home
4. Aladdin
3. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
2. Frozen II

D Hulk

I s'pose we're doing our annual movie rankings now, eh. Here go mine, then, from worst to best, with explanations/justifications for the placements.

64. Straight-to-streaming movies I’ve forgotten (so, so much garbage!)
63. Cats (incomprehensibly terrible; I genuinely loved every misbegotten minute of it!)
62. Serenity (a future so-bad-it’s-good cult classic)
61. The Lion King (I walked out of it)
60. Rambo: Last Blood (laughably bad & depressingly cynical)
59. The Curse of La Llorona (I felt no emotions while watching this)
58. Dark Phoenix (everything that’s wrong with Hollywood today)
57. Men in Black: International (the Dark Phoenix of the MIB franchise)
56. Black Christmas (a pointless remake that’s way too didactic)
55. Glass (what the hell was this?!)
54. Pagal Panti! (a really sloppy Bollywood movie; but so much fun to watch in Jaipur, India!)
53. The Dead Don’t Die (lazy & aimless)
52. Annabelle Comes Home (don’t remember it)
51. Stuber (dumb comedy with bad action)
50. Rocketman (musical biopics don’t work if you can quote Walk Hard while watching)
49. IT Chapter Two (about 90 minutes too long)
48. Pet Sematary (too flippant to match the novel’s dire tone)
47. Happy Death Day 2U (just a bland copy of the first)
46. Jumanji: The Next Level (just a bland copy of the first)
45. Zombieland: Double Tap (just a bland copy of the first)
44. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (just a bland copy of the first)
43. Dumbo (it had interesting production design at least)
42. Missing Link (Laika’s first boring offering)
41. Captain Marvel (among Marvel’s blandest movies)
40. Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbes & Shaw (this franchise is wearing thin)
39. Good Boys (I laughed with it)
38. Ma (one of the dumber horror movies I’ve seen, but Octavia Spencer was magnificent)
37. The Irishman (I was hyped on this but sadly it never got out of first-gear)
36. Wandering Earth (China’s first sci-fi blockbuster is very silly)
35. Escape Room (better than expected, with really neat sets)
34. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu (splendid CGI creatures but a lackluster story)
33. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (it’s stupid in the same way the old Toho entries were)
32. Star Wars, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (did this trilogy have a point?)
31. Yesterday (cute, disposable fluff)
30. Frozen 2 (Elsa’s solo journey is a masterpiece!; the rest bored me to near sleep)
29. Terminator: Dark Fate (this was pretty OK)
28. Aladdin (there’s enough originality in here to justify its creation)
27. Child’s Play (much better than it had any right to be; pairs well with Toy Story 4)
26. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (in a better world, every Hollywood sequel would be at least this good)
25. The Art of Self Defense (enjoyable, nasty, unwieldy satire)
24. Shazam! (I like how unique this is within the superhero genre)
23. Alita: Battle Angel (yeah, this was fun)
22. Jojo Rabbit (I applaud Taika’s ambition, but Hunt for the Wilderpeople did it better)
21. Freaks (a fun little low-budget X-Men riff)
20. Ford v Ferrari (solid & workmanlike)
19. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (just a sweet, soothing Mr. Rogers movie)
18. Us (more ambitious than successful; Lupita is fantastic)
17. Spider-Man: Far From Home (fairly average Marvel with some standout sequences)
16. Knives Out (I respect the artistry even while I alone was somewhat underwhelmed)
15. Toy Story 4 (solid, charming, funny, adorable)
14. Booksmart (this is a surprisingly well-made teen comedy)
13. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (the least of the franchise remains a masterclass of action)
12. Midsommar (delightfully creepy arthouse horror)
11. Shadow (it has the year’s best action sequence – umbrella kung-fu!)
10. The Farewell (Awkwafina is great, the story is touching)
9. Joker (overrated, saved by a great lead performance, design, score & cinematography)
8. Ad Astra (underrated, boosted by a great lead performance, design, score & cinematography)
7. Crawl (the Citizen Kane of killer alligator flicks!)
6. Avengers: Endgame (not flawless but a perfect popcorn movie seen with a crowd)
5. Ready or Not (the low brow horror-comedy version of Parasite)
4. Uncut Gems (the year’s best performance; a cinematic anxiety attack)
3. Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood (I could watch a 10-hour cut of this)
2. The Lighthouse (extremely good & extremely weird)
1. Parasite (perfect)

Wow do I watch too many movies! Gotta blame the AMC Stubbs A-List for that. It saves me 100s of dollars.

PerGron

I s'pose we're doing our annual movie rankings now, eh. Here go mine, then, from worst to best, with explanations/justifications for the placements.

64. Straight-to-streaming movies I’ve forgotten (so, so much garbage!)
63. Cats (incomprehensibly terrible; I genuinely loved every misbegotten minute of it!)
62. Serenity (a future so-bad-it’s-good cult classic)
61. The Lion King (I walked out of it)
60. Rambo: Last Blood (laughably bad & depressingly cynical)
59. The Curse of La Llorona (I felt no emotions while watching this)
58. Dark Phoenix (everything that’s wrong with Hollywood today)
57. Men in Black: International (the Dark Phoenix of the MIB franchise)
56. Black Christmas (a pointless remake that’s way too didactic)
55. Glass (what the hell was this?!)
54. Pagal Panti! (a really sloppy Bollywood movie; but so much fun to watch in Jaipur, India!)
53. The Dead Don’t Die (lazy & aimless)
52. Annabelle Comes Home (don’t remember it)
51. Stuber (dumb comedy with bad action)
50. Rocketman (musical biopics don’t work if you can quote Walk Hard while watching)
49. IT Chapter Two (about 90 minutes too long)
48. Pet Sematary (too flippant to match the novel’s dire tone)
47. Happy Death Day 2U (just a bland copy of the first)
46. Jumanji: The Next Level (just a bland copy of the first)
45. Zombieland: Double Tap (just a bland copy of the first)
44. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (just a bland copy of the first)
43. Dumbo (it had interesting production design at least)
42. Missing Link (Laika’s first boring offering)
41. Captain Marvel (among Marvel’s blandest movies)
40. Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbes & Shaw (this franchise is wearing thin)
39. Good Boys (I laughed with it)
38. Ma (one of the dumber horror movies I’ve seen, but Octavia Spencer was magnificent)
37. The Irishman (I was hyped on this but sadly it never got out of first-gear)
36. Wandering Earth (China’s first sci-fi blockbuster is very silly)
35. Escape Room (better than expected, with really neat sets)
34. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu (splendid CGI creatures but a lackluster story)
33. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (it’s stupid in the same way the old Toho entries were)
32. Star Wars, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (did this trilogy have a point?)
31. Yesterday (cute, disposable fluff)
30. Frozen 2 (Elsa’s solo journey is a masterpiece!; the rest bored me to near sleep)
29. Terminator: Dark Fate (this was pretty OK)
28. Aladdin (there’s enough originality in here to justify its creation)
27. Child’s Play (much better than it had any right to be; pairs well with Toy Story 4)
26. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (in a better world, every Hollywood sequel would be at least this good)
25. The Art of Self Defense (enjoyable, nasty, unwieldy satire)
24. Shazam! (I like how unique this is within the superhero genre)
23. Alita: Battle Angel (yeah, this was fun)
22. Jojo Rabbit (I applaud Taika’s ambition, but Hunt for the Wilderpeople did it better)
21. Freaks (a fun little low-budget X-Men riff)
20. Ford v Ferrari (solid & workmanlike)
19. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (just a sweet, soothing Mr. Rogers movie)
18. Us (more ambitious than successful; Lupita is fantastic)
17. Spider-Man: Far From Home (fairly average Marvel with some standout sequences)
16. Knives Out (I respect the artistry even while I alone was somewhat underwhelmed)
15. Toy Story 4 (solid, charming, funny, adorable)
14. Booksmart (this is a surprisingly well-made teen comedy)
13. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (the least of the franchise remains a masterclass of action)
12. Midsommar (delightfully creepy arthouse horror)
11. Shadow (it has the year’s best action sequence – umbrella kung-fu!)
10. The Farewell (Awkwafina is great, the story is touching)
9. Joker (overrated, saved by a great lead performance, design, score & cinematography)
8. Ad Astra (underrated, boosted by a great lead performance, design, score & cinematography)
7. Crawl (the Citizen Kane of killer alligator flicks!)
6. Avengers: Endgame (not flawless but a perfect popcorn movie seen with a crowd)
5. Ready or Not (the low brow horror-comedy version of Parasite)
4. Uncut Gems (the year’s best performance; a cinematic anxiety attack)
3. Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood (I could watch a 10-hour cut of this)
2. The Lighthouse (extremely good & extremely weird)
1. Parasite (perfect)

Wow do I watch too many movies! Gotta blame the AMC Stubbs A-List for that. It saves me 100s of dollars.

well now I’ve gotta check out AMC Stubbs A-List. I’m so over buying movie tickets and there aren’t any Regal cinemas close enough to me to make Regal Unlimited worth it.

Also, I just finished Doctor Sleep, and as a Shining fanboy, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember in OLS season 1 when I redid Tower of Terror to have a theme to a literal representation of the song Hotel California, I remember how bad I just wanted to make it a “The Shining” ride. Some theme park has to get on that ASAP

Outbound

Original Poster
12. 47 Meters Down 2 (I saw this with friends with the intention of laughing at it. Afterwards, I felt guilty of wasting money).
11. Captain Marvel (Just very boring).
10. Toy Story 4 (I just can't agree with the ending of this movie... as much as I liked Forky, I think it should have ended with 3).
9. Glass (It's slow and weird, but I kinda like it's ending meta-narrative).
8. Lego Movie 2 (It tries to bring in some interesting themes, but I just couldn't get into it).
7. Hobbs and Shaw (A fun movie - but only with the right people).
6. Shazam! (A fun superhero adventure).
5. Rise of Skywalker (Bad, but fun. Every time it does something stupid, I laugh, and I'm not really sure if I'm laughing at it or laughing with it).
4. Avengers Endgame (A great blockbuster).
3. Far From Home (Feels like an epilogue of the MCU so far. I love how it reflects off the past films while feeling like a breath of fun air).
2. Joker (Sure it's overrated, but it has an important message that elevates it above your typical comic book movie).
1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (I don't understand how Tarantino breaks all the rules and makes great movies out of it).

D Hulk

well now I’ve gotta check out AMC Stubbs A-List. I’m so over buying movie tickets and there aren’t any Regal cinemas close enough to me to make Regal Unlimited worth it.

Also, I just finished Doctor Sleep, and as a Shining fanboy, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember in OLS season 1 when I redid Tower of Terror to have a theme to a literal representation of the song Hotel California, I remember how bad I just wanted to make it a “The Shining” ride. Some theme park has to get on that ASAP
The Doctor Sleep movie is one that completely came and went while I was abroad. Would've liked seeing it; maybe when it comes to streaming... (Never read the book.)

I like - no, love - that idea of a Hotel California Tower of Terror! A year or two ago we had a group project for a dream Universal Studios resort in, like, Australia. It included a Shining dark ride which was done with trackless vehicles and moving rooms to try recreating the disorientation of Kubrick's movie. Not sure how to look that up now. Sure @spacemt354 would know where to look.

Suchomimus

overrated
Sure it's overrated
336qw6.png

spacemt354

Chili's
The Doctor Sleep movie is one that completely came and went while I was abroad. Would've liked seeing it; maybe when it comes to streaming... (Never read the book.)

I like - no, love - that idea of a Hotel California Tower of Terror! A year or two ago we had a group project for a dream Universal Studios resort in, like, Australia. It included a Shining dark ride which was done with trackless vehicles and moving rooms to try recreating the disorientation of Kubrick's movie. Not sure how to look that up now. Sure @spacemt354 would know where to look.
Oh yes that's the one! :p

spacemt354

Chili's
I'll add my 2019 movie list as well though granted I didn't see a lot this year

9. Fractured - it was serviceable
8. El Camino - as a Breaking Bad fan I was satisfied but expected more.
7. John Wick Chapter 3 - not as great as 1 or 2 but still looking forward to more
6. Avengers: Endgame - Infinity War was much better in my opinion story and stylistically. This one's color palate just looks very bland, especially the final battle, but wraps a bow on the 10 year MCU story the best it could.
5. Ad Astra - my annual space film, was better than First Man last year and the cinematography/score was great.
4. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - It's not perfect by a long shot, but it's fun, and it could have been way worse. I think this sequel trilogy mess combined with the well-thought out Mandalorian will be the turning point for Disney Star Wars - we will be watching your future with great interest!
----
(a big gap between these and the top 3)
----
3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - the least plot driven Tarantino film, and one where I was confused during the second act where it was going, but the masterclass of a 3rd act was probably the most satisfying this year.
2. The Irishman - Films like these just don't get made as often anymore. Brilliant acting, music choices, and themes that really keep you thinking. It's a bit long, probably should have been 3 hrs or less, but then again I'd rather see Pacino, Pesci, and DeNiro in a mafia movie an extra 30 mins for the final time than watch most anything else.
1. Joker - I usually rank films in the order of which I would turn on the TV first and this would definitely be at the top. Amazing performance, but moreover the eerie score, decrepit 1980s backdrop, the cinematography. Everything crescendos to the final act beautifully and shows that the comic-book genre doesn't need a bunch of CGI and high budgets to be effective. Just a team with a vision.

tcool123

Ight lemme jump on this movies of the year rundown train too:
16. Togo - Wow the reviews were great for this film, but I was bored as heck watching this film. Thank goodness this was Straight-to-Disney+ as this would’ve ended up flopping. I fee like if you’re really into the genre of dog films you may like this flick.
15. Lady and the Tramp - Wow. The human acting was awful, and made this film is bad to watch at times. The animals talking looked a little bit off, and a certain point it felt like C-List comedian bingo. However it also has Janelle Monae singing which makes the film a little fun.
14. Captain Marvel - I don’t remember this film in this slightest, forgot it even came out this year, and truly have no desire to watch this film again.
13. Dumbo - I loved Dumbo growing up, and I had tepid expectations going into the film. With those expectations the film still fell flat, but the film still has a good score, and some beautifully filmed moments.
12. Rocketman - I am no Elton John stan, nor will I likely ever be. While I don’t remember much from this film I’d still rank it higher than the first few on this list.
11. Lion King - Not a huge fan of the original, not a huge fan of this one. RIP Be Prepared.
10. Noelle - It’s a cute Holiday film with harmless fun but is sure to bring a sense of merriness to your day.
9. Zombieland 2: Double Tap - Saw the original the night before, and I thought they were both in the same caliber of film. Fun to watch, and I believe the dumb blonde was a standout character.
8. Toy Story 4 - After rewatching all the Toy Stories for the first time in a decade or so, I have to say this ranks below the third one as the second best film in the series.
7. Detective Pikachu - A fun film, and as a Pokemon fan I loved the film. Exciting action, fun story, good score too. Can’t wait for the likely sequel.
6. Star Wars Episode 9: Rise of Skywalker - Middle of the pack Star Wars, but a fun film overall with a compelling score and stronger characters and narrative than Last Jedi; IMHO.
5. Aladdin - Not a good Aladdin film, but its still an extremely fun film to watch.
4. Spiderman: Far From Home - A great film, fun romp through Europe. All around good time.
3. Avengers: Endgame - Fat Thor, Time Travel, Valkyrie, Portals. By far my favorite Avengers film, and the only one that kept my interest on repeat viewings.
2. Booksmart - GIGI.
1. Frozen 2 - I do think this film is better than the original, with better songs, and the characters just feel stronger. Just one question: Who’s Samantha?

tcool123

Ight lemme jump on this movies of the year rundown train too:
16. Togo - Wow the reviews were great for this film, but I was bored as heck watching this film. Thank goodness this was Straight-to-Disney+ as this would’ve ended up flopping. I fee like if you’re really into the genre of dog films you may like this flick.
15. Lady and the Tramp - Wow. The human acting was awful, and made this film is bad to watch at times. The animals talking looked a little bit off, and a certain point it felt like C-List comedian bingo. However it also has Janelle Monae singing which makes the film a little fun.
14. Captain Marvel - I don’t remember this film in this slightest, forgot it even came out this year, and truly have no desire to watch this film again.
13. Dumbo - I loved Dumbo growing up, and I had tepid expectations going into the film. With those expectations the film still fell flat, but the film still has a good score, and some beautifully filmed moments.
12. Rocketman - I am no Elton John stan, nor will I likely ever be. While I don’t remember much from this film I’d still rank it higher than the first few on this list.
11. Lion King - Not a huge fan of the original, not a huge fan of this one. RIP Be Prepared.
10. Noelle - It’s a cute Holiday film with harmless fun but is sure to bring a sense of merriness to your day.
9. Zombieland 2: Double Tap - Saw the original the night before, and I thought they were both in the same caliber of film. Fun to watch, and I believe the dumb blonde was a standout character.
8. Toy Story 4 - After rewatching all the Toy Stories for the first time in a decade or so, I have to say this ranks below the third one as the second best film in the series.
7. Detective Pikachu - A fun film, and as a Pokemon fan I loved the film. Exciting action, fun story, good score too. Can’t wait for the likely sequel.
6. Star Wars Episode 9: Rise of Skywalker - Middle of the pack Star Wars, but a fun film overall with a compelling score and stronger characters and narrative than Last Jedi; IMHO.
5. Aladdin - Not a good Aladdin film, but its still an extremely fun film to watch.
4. Spiderman: Far From Home - A great film, fun romp through Europe. All around good time.
3. Avengers: Endgame - Fat Thor, Time Travel, Valkyrie, Portals. By far my favorite Avengers film, and the only one that kept my interest on repeat viewings.
2. Booksmart - GIGI.
1. Frozen 2 - I do think this film is better than the original, with better songs, and the characters just feel stronger. Just one question: Who’s Samantha?
Also wanted to include this, but here's the films/shows I'm looking forward to in 2020. In no specific order:
  • Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn - I just really think Harley Quinn is an enjoyable character.
  • Eternals - It just seems like the weird Marvel movie that shouldn't work like Guardians of the Galaxy. I am here for it.
  • Mulan - It honestly looks like it'll be a good movie just not a good remake.
  • Free Guy - Ryan Reynolds, 'nuff said.
  • West Side Story - Loved the original film, and because of the remake I'm only three degrees away from Steven Spielberg.
  • The King's Man - A stan of the franchise, and here for the prequel along with more of the hopeful insanity from the franchise.
  • In the Heights - I knew nothing before the trailer. I cried in the trailer, and I am so excited to see more major Hispanic representation. I am going to see this film like once a week when it comes out hopefully.
  • Tepid Expectations, but watching cause I'm a Disney sheep: Jungle Cruise, Onward, Soul, Raya and the Last Dragon.
  • Scoob! - My cousin worked on this film so I may watch in a way to support him.
  • Diary of a Future President: I'm Cuban American, the main character is Cuban American, and I already have Disney+.
  • Sabrina Season 3: I love Sabrina so much, it's so much fun to watch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom