The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 5 - ENDGAME

kmbmw777

Cinderella’s Joyful Ball: NateD1226

Cinderella is such a classic IP that I had to double check that it hasn't really been a dark ride yet. Wow! A sensible and smart choice. I would say almost a little too safe, but really that wouldn't be fair. You saw a gap in the market, and then you fulfilled it.

The notes/progress updates on your brainstorming were very fun and left me very curious about what your final project would entail. Built hype, much like the endgame trailers. Your website was clean and easy to navigate - just what the doctor ordered.

I actually have't seen Cinderella (am I even a real Disney fan?) in the animated form, so I can't comment too much on if its a book report. I feel like it might be leaning a little too much towards just retelling the story based on my knowledge from other Cinderella media, which is what the older generation of rides did. There is some room to innovate I think. Ways to shake up the formula.

Mother Goose’s Silly Symphony: Disney Dad 3000

I really liked the way in which you expanded the canon on Disneyland Brazil. It's a lonely park, which wasn't visited until now this season, so taking the opportunity to clean it up is another point in your favor.

Your IP choice was definitely out of left field (even more than Fantasia). You had to combine unrelated scenes into a ride, and I feel that you did that pretty well. Including music in your proposal is really what solidified it into one cohesive ride.

Overall, you have been a great father figure to everyone this season and I think that you will do great things going forwards on these boards. :)

kmbmw777

Curse of the Cauldron: PerGronStudio

Having a preshow for a dark ride is something really unique and it always signifies a great attraction (Haunted Mansion is the only dark ride I can think of that has a pre show, so...)

Choosing an IP that I know nothing about means I can't call you out on book reporting like I have done to everyone else. So way to dodge the bullet there ;) . Also the judges say you don't so that is really double awesome.

I share Ace's concerns with length and the amount of land you are taking up, as well as D Hindley's concerns as to ruining eyesights, something which is important in the Magic Kingdom. Also, I feel like you should've mentioned a slight retheme of the surrounding fair, even if just a few paragraphs.

Overall, great project with the typical PerGron passion embedded into it. Once you have a vision, it is awesome to see you complete it.

Belle’s Enchanted Adventure: Pi on my Cake

Alright let's do this one last time. My name is kmbmw777 and I am one of three judges for the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Created some prompts, brainstormed stories, wrote reviews, and saved the city a few times... You know the rest. In all seriousness, I love superhero themed media so these references just had me smiling the whole way through.

84 pages - I was there for that. Though ngl the first thing I did was scroll to see if it was, and thank god it wasn't. I would've had to skip Greek Mythology (which I ended up doing anyways).

Your references to the SAU are what made your proposal shine. Your map-making, writing style , and everything is so "Pi-specific" that I could tell it had your passion reeking through.

As for IP choice - I love Beauty and the Beast. In my top 10 animated movies easily. Even though it was a safe pick, I am still a huge fan of it. That being said, I've criticized other rides for book reporting, but I think yours suffers the most from it. Not because its executed bad - its executed greatly - but because Beauty and the Beast is such a well-known franchise that I fear another reamek (in ride form though) would be so repetitive. Other individuals who book reported did it with more unfamiliar IPs.

Overall, I thought you had a really great proposal and ride system with just that one small weakness.​

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

It is no hyperbole to say that all eight projects were extremely impressive, with each of them representing Armchair Imagineering at its finest. Thanks you your combined efforts, Yen Sid's hat has been completed!

enhance

Additional cheers to our heroes for slaying Maleficent!

uhoh_by_maxfunnies2550-dbm7l22.gif

But an even greater evil will soon emerge!

Three Finalists shall lead our other players in a final, decisive battle.

Ultimately, across the three cohosts' rankings, only a single point separated first place from third place. Based on those results, our three Finalists are as follows...

Outbound
An original and bold idea, a strong presentation, and overall an incredibly impressive feat of solo Imagineering!

James G.
A robust and heartfelt project turned an obscure IP into a classic Disney dark ride.

Evilgidgit
Another impressive dark ride effort which combined an ideal IP with an exceptional modern approach.

Good luck to you! I'll see everyone in Stanza XIV!

mickeyfan5534

enhance

It is no hyperbole to say that all eight projects were extremely impressive, with each of them representing Armchair Imagineering at its finest. Thanks you your combined efforts, Yen Sid's hat has been completed!

enhance

Ultimately, across the three cohosts' rankings, only a single point separated first place from third place. Based on those results, our three Finalists are as follows...

Outbound
An original and bold idea, a strong presentation, and overall an incredibly impressive feat of solo Imagineering!

James G.
A robust and heartfelt project turned an obscure IP into a classic Disney dark ride.

Evilgidgit
Another impressive dark ride effort which combined an ideal IP with an exceptional modern approach.

This was absolutely not the Top 3 I expected. Bravo.

James G.

My son and I went through all the proposals together, so that he could see how many different styles of presentations there were. We finished, and he said, "You got this." I chalked it up as him being loyal- and wanting money. I'm still in a bit of disbelief. I saw seven other proposals that I would have ranked (and judged) superior to mine, but here I am, and frankly I feel a bit guilty. Once again- a true story- but the best thing is that I still get to work with the best Imagineers and the nicest, most inventive people I've ever been honored to be associated with- and get to compete against the best, most inventive people I've ever been honored to compete against. I don't expect my competitors to be "nice", though, at least not until we're finished. I expect them to go for the win...but now that we're in this situation, all I can say to @Outbound and @Evilgidgit is, "Fasten your lapbars- I'm going for the win, too!"

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
enhance

enhance

Outbound

James G.

Evilgidgit

So many great players in this game I had no idea who was gonna be the finalists! In the end, A very well deserving final three! It's been a pleasure working with you all this season, and I can't wait to help someone win the finale!

NateD1226

enhance

enhance

Outbound

James G.

Evilgidgit

Congrats everyone! I had so much fun playing and can't wait to see what you all come up with!

D Hulk

Original Poster
ENDGAME

Maleficent lies defeated. From her form, a magical moon emerges. It hovers over to Yen Sid’s hat and takes its rightful place.

The Sorcerer’s Apprentice hat is finally completed!

But our heroes’ celebration is short-lived. The hat rumbles and sparks – a curse placed upon the hat by Maleficent now comes to fruition! An unearthly glow bathes the nearby Matterhorn. Has all this work been in service of Maleficent’s ultimate plan?

The dark lord Chernabog emerges from the Matterhorn! His evil shadow glides across Disneyland.

enhance

Darkness falls across the land. The midnight hour is close at hand. Creatures crawl in search of blood to terrorize your neighborhood.

Walt Disney furrows his brow. “The only thing which can stop Chernabog is the power of creativity.”

Roy Disney turns to Figment. “This is the endgame you’ve been training these heroes for throughout all these months. Now it’s time for each of us to choose a champion.”

Walt scans the remaining heroes. "@Outbound I choose you.”

Roy weighs his options. “
@James G. do me proud.”

Mickey Mouse emerges between the two Disneys. "@Evilgidgit, you're my guy."

"No thanks, Mouse," responds @Evilgidgit. "I don't feel like being a Finalist. I'd rather just play on James' team."

MIckey stands flabbergasted. "Ummmm...okayyyy."

enhance

As Chernabog’s dark powers bend Disneyland into a twisted, corrupted shadow of itself, our finalists muster their forces. They retreat to the horizons, readying their final creative counterattack.

Will our heroes succeed in defeating the greatest threat the Sorcerer’s Apprentice Universe has ever faced?

Will Chernabog fall to the forces of good?

We’re in the endgame now.

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

enhance

A NEW GATE ON BALD MOUNTAIN

“The final villain on our Sorcerer’s Apprentice program is Chernabog, the source of all evil. He aims to conquer Disney with his infernal army. Will our remaining Imagineers, and their creative ideas of hope and life, triumph over his unholy powers?”
- Deems Taylor

Welcome to our two finalists. Congratulations @Outbound and @James G.

Welcome as well to our runners-up. Finalists, you still rely upon teamwork, because in order to defeat Chernabog forever it takes more than one person...

One of the most persistent Disney Park rumors is a fabled “Villains Park.” A park for the bad guys, whatever exactly that might be. This is the only thing which can end Chernabog’s reign.

For your final task, design a villains-themed park to permanently trap Chernabog and his minions.

• The park’s location is “players’ choice.” You can utilize any existing Disney Resort, or even use your park as the anchor for an all-new resort. Just be aware of the unique challenges which come with each option.​
  • What do we mean by “villains-themed park?” We don’t want to limit your creativity, so interpret that idea however you like.​
  • Remember those villain attractions you made for Friends on the Other Ride? Include any of those you'd like in your park!​
  • Finalists, you are the Project Managers. An entire theme park is a lot of work without a clear vision. Work carefully and precisely with your team to create a theme park which you can all be proud of!​
Team Walt
Outbound
Brer Oswald
Disney Dad 3000
PerGronStudio
TwilightZone

Team Roy
James G.
Evilgidgit
NateD1226
Pi on my Cake
FireMountain

Evilgidgit has opted to forfeit his spot as a finalist...so here we are.

Guest Reviewers
mickeyfan5534, Tux, spacemt354

This Project is due Monday, April 15th, at 11:59 PM EST

Time Zones

Pacific Standard Time - 8:59 PM
Eastern Standard Time - 11:59 PM
Greenwich Mean Time - 3:59 AM
Central European Time - 4:59 AM

Thank you, best of luck to everyone, and have a great finale!​

Last edited:

Tux

Cinderella's Joyful Ball/Disneyland/@NateD1226
An absolute masterpiece. I can't really name any flaws about it at all. It works almost seamlessly with it's messages and themes about making and finding your own ending. The little details are something I love, and I enjoy the new system you came up with that allows a bigger capacity. It's E-Ticket Status is well justified with the story being a Instant classic.

Curse of the Cauldron/Magic Kingdom/@PerGronStudio
Don't get me wrong, the ride is well designed and has a wide attention to details, but, I have issues with the story. It feels like it's trying to be it's own thing, but, also tell the story of The Black Cauldron. I find that it wants to have it's cake and eat it. Otherwise It's a well designed and themed attraction.

Belle's Enchanted Adventured/Tokyo Disneyland/@Pi on my Cake
I love the fact that it tries to use atmosphere to build it's own story rather than words, but, I feel like a trackless ride would fit the ride better as it would also allow you to move to simulate certain movements like dancing in the Ballroom scene. Other than that, I thought the idea of using the Restaurant as space in a attraction was clever, although that scene in particular felt lacking.

Sword In The Stone/Disneyland Paris/@James G.
I absolutely loved how the story the ride told all came together towards the end. It felt complete in a sense, and my only real complaint about this ride was the vehicle design choice. I would actually love to see this in an actual park someday. Watching Merlin teach Arthur was quite a joy, and I was NOT expecting the Boss Fight's ending.

Fantasia: Symphony of Sorcery/Hong Kong Disneyland/@TwilightZone
I'm glad to see that the Travelling theatres found a (Hopefully Permanent) home in this ride. I will say that Fantasia: 2000 a hundred percent fits the Great Movie Ride format. I loved how the Gift Shop represented a Rhapsody In Blue, and utilized the scene even when it didn't make the Ride's final cut.

The Monkey King/Shanghai Disneyland/@Outbound
This is a ride that perfectly fit's Shanghai, while being an original concept, being targeted to all ages, and teaching good morals. It's like Mystic Manor and Sinbad's Storybook Voyages had a beautiful love child. The ride has a motif throughout the story involving creatures worshipping Sun Wukong that shows his development throughout the story, which starts with him being worshipped by monkeys, then Mammals, then the Birds and Fish for what he says, and finally Humans for his kindness.

The Legends of Hunkules Hercules/Shanghai Disneyland/@Evilgidgit
It understands the Content of the movie thoroughly, although it could cut some content out, and has an awesome Queue. The Projections in the Queue allow the same purpose as the opening from the movie; which allows an awesome performance and allows a little bit of exposition in-between. Pretty Solid if you ask me.

Mother Goose's Silly Symphony/Disneyland Brazil/@Disney Dad 3000
I think my biggest problem with this ride is that it wants to be about Silly Symphonies, but, then it feels the need to shove in another, completely unrelated IP five seconds later. It would've been fine if it had been just Yen Sid going through Fantasyland-Themed Disney movies or just Mother Goose and the Silly Symphonies. Everything else is pretty nice about this ride.

My apologies for being late! I should've paid more attention to the time before this ended up happening!💙

REASON FOR EDIT: Felt like I was being rude and I added a Reason For Edit.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom