The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 5 - ENDGAME

mickeyfan5534

OUTBOUND PRESENTS...
THE MONKEY KING

View attachment 360892
This project has been made with Google Slides. Remember to click present. If you cannot click present (example: mobile) I'd ask for you to wait til' you can to get the full effect, but if that is not an option you should be able to understand it all through the preview interface alone. The animations don't block (most of) the screen. When you are in the present mode, you will have to click to reach the next slide but not for the animations. During the ride through phase only, they start up a few seconds after the new slide appears. You should get a feeling when they are done and can then click forward.
So I'm gonna start with the same critique I gave Evilgidgit. Shanghai Disneyland has so much space available for expansion right now, you should not be closing things down to replace them. Ok, we have that done and over with. Now, you're telling me that of all the IP you could have chosen, none of it appealed enough to you to work in Shanghai Disneyland and instead, you decided to create an IP. I'm not gonna say it wasn't good, but you do have a Chinese IP that is not well represented in the park and in this plan will only have a parade float and a dining room in the park.
p21118_v_v8_ae.jpg
And I like the idea of a Fantasy China miniland. It could be a spectacularly beautiful area. But you had an unused IP already and could use the exact same system and ride vehicle for a just as spectacular dark ride as you've created here. And that is you number one problem. Fantasyland IS where the Disney movies come to life, more than any other land in the park. That theme is somewhat disregarded, despite how easy it would have been for one line in the presentation you could have changed and I would have been ok with creating an IP. This is the SAU. You can manipulate releases to say that this Monkey King movie came out, was a massive success, and The Monkey King was greenlit for a Shanghai Disneyland expansion. So with that out of the way, on to the actual ride. Take this as the bitter topping to a really sweet dessert because...

OH MY GOD THIS IS SO GOOD! The new take on the omnimover is fantastic, the story is well told, and forgive the phrase, authentically Chinese and distinctly Disney. There's a lot of humor, a lot of heart, and a lot of really beautiful and clever ideas to tell a simple but powerful story. I know this seems like the antithesis to the paragraph above, but I think you did something really special despite my problems with it.

D Hulk

Original Poster
enhance

Preamble

Every player who has reached this stage has already proved themselves creative, passionate and skilled. All 8 projects are testaments to your abilities and to your growth throughout this season. Each of you, even the veteran players, can look at how you’ve progressed from Stanza I and feel pride in what you’ve created.

All 8 Fantasyland dark rides are now officially a part of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice Universe!

Fantasyland dark rides are a tricky beast. They can be incredibly simple 1955 bus bar charmers or elaborate E-ticket trackless wonders, but the same storytelling demands apply. For my reviews, I’ll be ignoring presentation skills (as varied and impressive as they’ve been across the board) in order to level the playing field and judge each ride fairly. How does it satisfy as a Fantasyland dark ride? How have you tackled the storytelling limitations of a ride? Have you fallen into the “book report” trap? Have you used rider’s/reader’s knowledge of the original IP as a crutch? Or have you made something which can stand independently as a timeless piece of Imagineering?

124738.jpg

@NateD1226

Cinderella’s Joyful Ball
Disneyland

Disneyland’s Fantasyland is possibly the most difficult spot to add a new ride. The existing suite of dark rides, the most fleshed out in the Disney Parks pantheon, covers a lot of ground…emotionally, thematically, spatially. Cinderella is a wise (if safe) choice. With other dark rides being frightening, awe-inspiring, beautiful or frenetic, you’ve dived directly into the decency and goodness at the heart of Disney’s Princess brand. That focus on tone is highlighted even in your ride’s title, a great touch.

With existing SAU changes like the Tomorrowland redo or that Frozen ride @AceAstro used to eradicate the “wonder bra” theater and Toontown, it’s not at all clear where a new ride could go. Replacing something is inevitable. I dunno if the Fantasyland Faire area was the right choice, as you’ll have a big boxy show building extending out towards the Hub and possibly overpowering Sleeping Beauty Castle. Not that I have a better location offhand…

Trackless dark rides are a crutch in Armchair Imagineering, so thankfully you’ve put more thought into the trackless element than many do. I love how the pumpkin carriage vehicles respond to the scenery, from fearing the Wicked Stepsisters to dancing along at the ball. A few descriptions, like the lifting box in Cinderella’s gown transformation scene, could use more clarity, but solid descriptions overall. The ride is a little “book reporty,” but I think this IP warrants that approach more than many, and you’ve handled it well with a consistent emotional throughline. Good focus on queue and ride stats. If you could actually achieve a 3,300 hourly throughput, this would add capacity to a park which desperately needs it!

Nice work.

107415.jpg

@PerGronStudio
Curse of the Cauldron
Magic Kingdom

From the niceness of Cinderella to the darkness of The Black Cauldron! What a neat, obscure pick! For Magic Kingdom’s Fantasyland – the only one I haven’t been to, incidentally – this adds a nice balance to the fluffier stuff that’s there now. It feels like a next-gen Snow White’s Scary Adventures, tonally, with juuuust a bit of Indiana Jones Adventure – a frightening, adventurous journey through a unique world.

I very much like how you’ve avoided doing a book report by creating a sequel story instead…even if we wind up largely repeating events from the original film. This makes the tale accessible to the 99% of guests who won’t be intimately familiar with a 1985 flop movie, plus it lets you bring in additional elements from the source novels. The ride-through makes guests a part of the story rather than mere observers, which mitigates the typical Fantasyland dark ride pitfalls. There’s a single scene where we seem to jump spatially from Taran’s quest over to the Horned King, breaking that coherence, but otherwise it’s solid.

You could’ve said a lot more about what exactly a “trackless/dark ride hybrid” is. The ride-through barely addresses what the riding sensation itself would be like, which is a missed opportunity. There is good attention to detail concerning animatronics and other effects. Breaking every ride scene into a separate page breaks the reading flow. The ride-through is a little chatty, though at least you’re not relying on dialogue over visuals. Overall this is a strong effort with a few distinct blind spots holding it back.​

D Hulk

Original Poster
114491.jpg

@Pi on my Cake
Belle’s Enchanted/Scary Adventure
Tokyo Disneyland

Let’s all ignore Pi’s wild ramblings on the margins and go straight to the ride… :rolleyes:

Kudos on doing a 1955 bus bar ride! Removed of all bells (Belles) and whistles, can you still create an engaging ride? You’ve done an admirable job. The layout gives off definite Snow White’s Scary Adventures vibes, which is a bit of an issue since Tokyo Disneyland has that already. While that ride has a singular tonal aim – to scar children for life with terror! – yours is more broadly focused. This leads into the book report trap. We’re simply riding through scenes witnessing events from Beauty & the Beast. That said, these scenes are nicely staged and paced. Dividing the ride into distinct acts, and defining those acts by location (village, then chateau) gives structural clarity. Within the limitations of a century-old ride tech, you’ve done some unique things such as the restaurant pass-through.

Considering that Tokyo Disneyland will be receiving a B&tB dark ride in real life – and a next-gen trackless showstopper at that – I question your choice to do the exact same thing. Tokyo Disneyland is sort of a blank slate park; the options here are endless. (The Aristocats is weirdly, specifically popular in Japan for some reason – coulda done that!) I have to assume you’re locating this by the defunct Tomorrowland Speedway where the actual Fantasyland expansion is taking place. Your presentation doesn’t really clarify that. And is the ride Scary or Enchanted?!

There is a good generic Fantasyland dark ride at the core, but unfortunately it lacks some of the detail your competition included. It doesn’t respond to the Japanese audience or the Oriental Land Company style. Pi on my Cake, you’ve proved yourself time and again to be an exceptionally talented Armchair Imagineer, and this is below what we’ve come to expect of you.

125717.jpg

@James G.
The Sword in the Stone
Disneyland Paris

Your personal frame story – while it doesn’t impact my critique of the ride itself – is charming. This is what Sorcerer’s Apprentice is all about! Bonding with your son, fondly recalling your father, there is so much heart here. I love it! :inlove:

When developing this prompt, us villainous judges all thought that Disneyland Paris would be the toughest park (given is recent SAU Fantasyland makeover). You’ve handled that challenge with aplomb. Replacing Snow White and Pinocchio, while sad, is inevitable…and you’ve softened the blow by relocating (and plussing?) one ride. Additionally – not sure if you know this – your Sword in the Stone is set in Fantasyland’s west side where the other British IPs like Toad and Pan are placed. Nice care there.

You do an admirable job justifying why this specific forgotten flick needs more love. I’m on board! The façade and queue and ride vehicles…all carefully detailed. You’ve threaded the needle between traditional and modern, wisely taking inspiration from Shanghai’s Peter Pan – which is the very best “classic” Fantasyland dark ride I’ve enjoyed.

The Sword in the Stone doesn’t immediately suggest a suspended ride system (or any type, really), but as written it’s fitting. There is inevitably a bit of “book report” going on here. For a story this simple and episodic, that’s fine. (It’s not like Ariel’s Undersea Adventure artlessly glossing over plot twists, nothing like that!) With the flying mop buckets and the care in your scene staging, you’ve engaged riders to the fullest extent this IP allows. This is a very healthy concept, presented well and nicely fitted to Paris.​

D Hulk

Original Poster
110986.jpg

@TwilightZone
Fantasia: Symphony of Sorcery
Hong Kong Disneyland

The first thing which stands out here is the Traveling Theater ride system. Let’s not allow this to fade into the mists of history! It fits Fantasia (& 2000) so perfectly! Even the vehicles’ slow, thoughtful speed would fit the films’ deliberate, classical structure. Incidentally, for this prompt I would’ve accepted a combo of both Fantasias over JUST 2000, which could’ve given you more creative freedom.

The façade works for me. Located alongside It’s a Small World, your opera house would have similar shapes and proportions while remaining distinct. On the far side of the Railroad, it wouldn’t clash with that Fantasyland medieval aesthetic. And it would look striking with Hong Kong’s mountains in the background. Speaking of local conditions, creating a slow ride with an indoors queue…in this awfully muggy tropical climate…Hong Kong’s visitors thank you. I don’t lament the loss of Frozen whatsoever.

The ride-through could use more detail. Each scene as written is simply a summary of what happens the movie. You could improve on that by describing how the theater vehicle interacts, or how specifically the scene is staged (special effects, animatronics, etc.). It isn’t clear how lengthy each scene is. Will riders enjoy abridged musical selections, or will these scenes be closer in length to their cinematic counterparts? Fantasia is a unique property, one which allows for almost limitless freedom , and your effort – while certainly admirable – only scratches the surface of what could be done!

125687.jpg

@Outbound
The Monkey King
Shanghai Disneyland

:eek: WOW! :eek:

Your presentation is the best and most elaborate of the bunch! Too bad for you I’m not judging this round based on presentations…

Fortunately for you, everything else here is A+ level too!

It was a stroke of genius to look beyond Disney IPs. Monkey King fits Shanghai like a glove, it automatically frees you from the “book report” criticism, it is original yet familiar, it appeals to the local audience. I’m reminded most of Mystic Manor (perhaps because Monkey King gets a cameo there), not in any specifics but rather in how satisfying this is as a singular Imagineering triumph.

The ride system is top notch. There’s nothing else like it, yet I grasp it instantly. Floating “teacup” omnimovers would be such a distinctive on-ride experience, you’ve instantly distinguished yourself from any other ride on earth. The lead-in is wonderful too, with a conversational, self-aware, jokey writing style almost like something Sun Wukong himself would write! (BTW, current day Shanghai Disneyland really whiffs on its attempted Chinese theming; Wandering Moon Tea House feels like a Panda Express. You’ve one-upped real Imagineering!)

Off all our competitors, I think you’ve best grasped how to tell a dark ride story. There’s no dialogue as a crutch. The visuals are so simple, universal and bold, a 3-year-old could grasp this tale, yet it is rich enough with beauty and humor that it would appeal to adults across cultures and languages. I even applaud dumb little presentation gags like turning Xi Jinping into Pooh. Take that, Xi! :p You have easily exceeded what was expected for this prompt, and by doing so you’ve created one of the finest possible Sorcerer’s Apprentice additions!​

D Hulk

Original Poster
124628.jpg

@Evilgidgit
The Legend of Hercules
Shanghai Disneyland

Voyage to the Crystal Grotto deserves to be replaced. It takes up valuable real estate (even though Shanghai Disneyland is simply swarming with expansion pads), and it is deeply underwhelming. Replacing it with a show building is potentially troublesome, as you would lose the pastoral forest at the center of Fantasyland. Your façade and structure – Mt. Olympus over the rolling Grecian fields – help to keep that open, green feel. All the additional elements, like the meet ‘n’ greet, help to flesh out the central ride.

Hercules is a good choice. In isolation, suspended golden chariots using Shanghai’s Peter Pan tech are absolutely the right choice! Placed here, though, directly across the walkway from Shanghai’s Peter Pan, I fear this ride system would feel just a bit redundant. For park-wide balance, better perhaps to replace Crystal Grotto with another boat ride…though that wouldn’t fit Hercules as well. What a conundrum!

But as it is, the ride system fits the ride itself very nicely. Your descriptions throughout are effortlessly immersive, starting with the Muse projections in the queue and continuing on with the staging of every scene. You never lose sight of the vehicles’ actions, nor of the effects which bring the scenes to life. Both of these qualities help improve on a pretty basic “book report” core. The video at the end helps out as well, especially the film’s soundtrack. While I would prefer riding alongside Hercules & Pegasus on a unique adventure, rather than a retelling of the movie (which isn’t 15-years-old!), you’ve done a lot to make your approach work! All of the fundamentals are here.

105159.jpg

@Disney Dad 3000
Mother Goose’s Silly Symphony
Disneyland Brazil

This one is so old-fashioned, it feels like something Walt might’ve created a decade before Disneyland! That goes from the super old-school IP choice to the Laff-in-the-Dark ride system. Whether or not it would fit in the wholly fictional Disneyland Brazil, there’s no way of knowing. Spatially alone, the ride fits Brazil’s Fantasyland, and it would aesthetically fit any given European storybook Fantasyland.

Your IP choice (Silly Symphonies) presents the same challenge as Fantasia: What sort of storytelling structure could connect all these unrelated scenes? There’s no concrete answer given for that, as we plunge into scene after scene after scene. Maybe something like a “master of ceremonies” character, something in the vein of Haunted Mansion’s Ghost Host, that could’ve given your Symphony a spine. Perhaps that’s what you were going for with the Disney character cameos throughout? Those play out like the cameos on Hong Kong’s Small World (controversially reapplied to Disneyland). They momentarily take me out of the ride…though they might be other riders’ favorite element.

It’s a weird thing to say, but you could’ve gone even more low-tech with this! Like, go full Coney Island! Full Knoebels! A really rinky- 19th century ride system, done safely, would complement the rambunctious old Silly Symphony personality. Your IP choice is among the boldest and best of this challenge. The specifics of the ride need to complement that choice.​

PerGron

enhance

Preamble

Every player who has reached this stage has already proved themselves creative, passionate and skilled. All 8 projects are testaments to your abilities and to your growth throughout this season. Each of you, even the veteran players, can look at how you’ve progressed from Stanza I and feel pride in what you’ve created.

All 8 Fantasyland dark rides are now officially a part of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice Universe!

Fantasyland dark rides are a tricky beast. They can be incredibly simple 1955 bus bar charmers or elaborate E-ticket trackless wonders, but the same storytelling demands apply. For my reviews, I’ll be ignoring presentation skills (as varied and impressive as they’ve been across the board) in order to level the playing field and judge each ride fairly. How does it satisfy as a Fantasyland dark ride? How have you tackled the storytelling limitations of a ride? Have you fallen into the “book report” trap? Have you used rider’s/reader’s knowledge of the original IP as a crutch? Or have you made something which can stand independently as a timeless piece of Imagineering?

124738.jpg

@NateD1226

Cinderella’s Joyful Ball
Disneyland

Disneyland’s Fantasyland is possibly the most difficult spot to add a new ride. The existing suite of dark rides, the most fleshed out in the Disney Parks pantheon, covers a lot of ground…emotionally, thematically, spatially. Cinderella is a wise (if safe) choice. With other dark rides being frightening, awe-inspiring, beautiful or frenetic, you’ve dived directly into the decency and goodness at the heart of Disney’s Princess brand. That focus on tone is highlighted even in your ride’s title, a great touch.

With existing SAU changes like the Tomorrowland redo or that Frozen ride @AceAstro used to eradicate the “wonder bra” theater and Toontown, it’s not at all clear where a new ride could go. Replacing something is inevitable. I dunno if the Fantasyland Faire area was the right choice, as you’ll have a big boxy show building extending out towards the Hub and possibly overpowering Sleeping Beauty Castle. Not that I have a better location offhand…

Trackless dark rides are a crutch in Armchair Imagineering, so thankfully you’ve put more thought into the trackless element than many do. I love how the pumpkin carriage vehicles respond to the scenery, from fearing the Wicked Stepsisters to dancing along at the ball. A few descriptions, like the lifting box in Cinderella’s gown transformation scene, could use more clarity, but solid descriptions overall. The ride is a little “book reporty,” but I think this IP warrants that approach more than many, and you’ve handled it well with a consistent emotional throughline. Good focus on queue and ride stats. If you could actually achieve a 3,300 hourly throughput, this would add capacity to a park which desperately needs it!

Nice work.

107415.jpg

@PerGronStudio
Curse of the Cauldron
Magic Kingdom

From the niceness of Cinderella to the darkness of The Black Cauldron! What a neat, obscure pick! For Magic Kingdom’s Fantasyland – the only one I haven’t been to, incidentally – this adds a nice balance to the fluffier stuff that’s there now. It feels like a next-gen Snow White’s Scary Adventures, tonally, with juuuust a bit of Indiana Jones Adventure – a frightening, adventurous journey through a unique world.

I very much like how you’ve avoided doing a book report by creating a sequel story instead…even if we wind up largely repeating events from the original film. This makes the tale accessible to the 99% of guests who won’t be intimately familiar with a 1985 flop movie, plus it lets you bring in additional elements from the source novels. The ride-through makes guests a part of the story rather than mere observers, which mitigates the typical Fantasyland dark ride pitfalls. There’s a single scene where we seem to jump spatially from Taran’s quest over to the Horned King, breaking that coherence, but otherwise it’s solid.

You could’ve said a lot more about what exactly a “trackless/dark ride hybrid” is. The ride-through barely addresses what the riding sensation itself would be like, which is a missed opportunity. There is good attention to detail concerning animatronics and other effects. Breaking every ride scene into a separate page breaks the reading flow. The ride-through is a little chatty, though at least you’re not relying on dialogue over visuals. Overall this is a strong effort with a few distinct blind spots holding it back.​

Wait, did my page about how the ride operates not get published? I had written one up on the website knowing that I'd get questions...

Outbound

I'm not gonna say it wasn't good, but you do have a Chinese IP that is not well represented in the park and in this plan will only have a parade float and a dining room in the park.

Yeah... :) Mulan crossed my mind but I never really considered it. It all felt too easy, like an imagineering crunch whenever a china land pops up. Although perhaps the most realistic choice.

I have never been to China, so to quote James doing my research was critical

AceAstro

Reviews

Fantasia: Symphony of Sorcery - TwilightZone

To start, I think Fantasia 2000 was an interesting choice. While there are definitely fun scenes, it typically has more “mixed” reviews than the original.

My first concern is the land that you used. As you mentioned, that area is being used for the Frozen expansion. I’m not sure if replacing Frozen with Fantasia is the strongest plan, but is more of a high-risk/ high-reward idea.

From there, I love the transition into a full website! I like the idea of a new travelling theatre attraction. While they have flaws, they also have very high capacity making them successful. The facade idea is absolutely beautiful although I am not 100% how it would look next to the Small World facade.

I am glad you started the attraction with Pines of Rome. It is probably one of the better scenes from the film (at least in my opinion) and really sets the tone for the rest of the attraction. I like the inclusion of The Sorcerer’s Apprentice in a Travelling Theatre attraction as an homage to the GMR. Nice touch for sure!

Overall, while I was concerned about the IP you chose, it was a very successful attraction! Great work!

The Legend of Hercules: Evildigit

I haven’t even started reading yet and I am already sold. We need more Hercules in Disney parks and if that means starting in Shanghai Disney, then let’s do it! (It is important to note now that Hercules is my favourite Disney movie so I have high hopes for this attraction).

Both the closure of the Voyage of the Crystal Grotto (widely considered the worst Shanghai attraction) and the opening date (anniversary) are very solid points in the introduction.

One thing: in the note from Bob you say it will open in 2022 but then the first line after that says it opens in 2021… While I LOVE the idea of Mt. Olympus I am concerned about sightlines. Shanghai’s Castle is 197 feet tall. The Matterhorn is 183 feet tall. I fear at that height you would see too much of it through the castle and I am unsure how it would look.

I love your description of the area around Mt. Olympus. You are replacing a large space with a fairly vertical attraction. You used the rest of the space effectively.

“But, in each room, the Muses come to life via artwork on the wall (animated projections), performing “The Gospel Truth” as guests go onwards to the loading bay.”... I have never wanted something in a queue more than this…

The ride vehicles make sense but at the same time it feels like a more “classic” fantasyland attraction so may have worked better if the vehicles were a single row of up to 3.

Getting into the attraction itself, it is beautiful! Between the Pegasus Effect, Go The Distance (which that scene on an attraction would give me guaranteed goosebumps), and the giant Audio-Animatronic Hydra, it is all just so much to take in! This would rival Pirates for the best Shanghai attraction easily! The one thing I worry about is the attraction may be too long. I could realistically see it ending after the Hydra battle. I also would have loved to see a map of the track layout.

Overall, it is a great attraction for an IP that I feel doesn’t get enough love!

Oh, what’s this? Bonus material?

The video was a very nice touch of combining all of the work into a quick video. I really enjoyed it along with all the great music from the film!

And then the inclusion of the whole dialogue script?? I am utterly speechless!​

AceAstro

Epee Dans la Pierre: James G.

I’ll be honest. I was concerned that you wanted Sword in the Stone. After the improvements made in New Fantasyland just in SA 4, I considered Disneyland Paris to be the most difficult Fantasyland’s of them all. But I think you accepted the challenge and ran with it!

For someone who calls themselves “Technologically illiterate,” you made a beautiful google site! A simple forum post would’ve done but you went out a tried something new to you and it worked marvellously!

There are definitely some changes that could’ve been to our new Fantasyland ( not everything I do can be perfect ;) ). Getting into the attraction itself, it is very solid! I love the use of bucket cars as the vehicles. After the success of Shanghai Pirates, a mix of screens and practical effects seems like it could become the norm. I think using this for a Fantasyland attraction is definitely something we would see in the future.

My personal favourite scene is scene 4 with Madam Mim. It’s a very visually stunning scene. It would be a very large and lavish scene that would be absolutely memorable. My one concern with the attraction is that it may feel a bit “short”. At only six scenes, it may leave people wanting more.

The dining option is logical and makes sense in here.

The personal note is very touching. I wasn’t expecting to be on the verge of tears reading an Armchair Imagineering project. It really gives us a personal POV of why you chose the IP you chose.

Overall, this is a very good project and I am impressed about how well it worked in one of the harder Fantasyland.

The Monkey King: Outbound

Going with a non-Disney IP is a bold strategy. But I think it works. Shanghai likes to go bold with many attractions and that’s why I feel like this works. The story that you go with fits very nicely here and I could see it work as a successful attraction as well as a successful Disney film after the success of the attraction ;).

I am not sure about the location. Closing Frozen to move it may not be that successful. If I were to close anything, I would close Winnie the Pooh area as it is highly noted about how the Chinese President feels about Winnie. To me, it would have been a much safer bet.

Making the palace a whole mainland is smart. It is a continuation of Fantasyland while also being its own little thing (like Storybook Circus). I think that it works quite nicely when it’s done so this would be another example of that.

The queue is very nice. I love the idea of the game in the queue. We definitely need more interactive queues and this is a great spot to do it!

Your choice of ride vehicles is interesting. I like the idea of a spinning omnimover. And then it moves up and down? I don’t even know if that is possible but it would be very cool if it is!

Getting into the attraction now, I love the map! It is very stunning and I could just look at the map without the ride through descriptions!

Scene 6 is probably my favourite scene of them all (both if the attraction was real, and in the presentation). It looks like a visually stunning scene that would attract anybody to the attraction

In conclusion, this attraction is very good I just had some concerns about the location and how possible those ride vehicles are.​

AceAstro

Cinderella’s Joyful Ball: NateD1226

Another tough Fantasyland to work with. While there is a lot missing from their Fantasyland, the real challenge comes for the fact that there isn’t a lot of space (especially after I took over Toontown).

I love the presentation style you went with with the little notes/ memos. It’s a lot of fun! Going into the actual website, it looks very clean.

The IP you chose to go with makes sense. To me, Cinderella is the Disney Princess that doesn’t get enough love (Aurora doesn’t deserve love. She never talks). I think Cinderella definitely deserves an attraction and it definitely works here.

The location you chose is interesting. The Fantasy Faire area is fairly new. It also is where the princess meet and greet area is. That being said, it is realistically one of only two spots that a new attraction could go (with the other being replacing Casey Jr. and the Storybook Land Canals). You treat the area very well to mix in Fantasyland while also working at the entrance of Frontierland.

The queue is detailed, but simple which fits what the rest of Disneyland’s Fantasyland. A trackless carriage ride definitely fits the feel of a Fantasyland attraction. It makes sense that whatever the next Fantasyland attraction is, it’ll be a trackless ride.

Getting into the attraction, it’s very sound. I really love the 4th scene. Using those effects to make the wall break down is one of my favourite Mystic Manor effects and I think it would work quite nicely here. All of the other scenes around this scene are very stunning as well but I feel like this one sticks out the most to me due to the effect.

Overall, this is a very good attraction that works in a very challenging Fantasyland. Well done!

Mother Goose’s Silly Symphony: Disney Dad 3000

A classic IP! It’s one that a lot of people don’t talk about but I feel like more should! It is a great IP choice and I love the idea of re-using the original film music.

The ride vehicles are very good and simple for a classic Fantasyland lap bar attraction.

The new map looks very clean and I wouldn’t be able to tell at first without the updated legend at the bottom. The track layout map is very nice and makes it clear how it’ll all look.

Getting into the attraction, I really like scene 8 - rub a dub dub. It is a cute little scene that also adds in a very fun IP in the Three Caballeros. The rest of the attraction keeps the same theme and does it very well. The dining shopping attached is simple yet a logical addition.

All in all, I like the idea of the attraction and location, and I like that you went with the classic Fantasyland style ride vehicles.​

AceAstro

Belle’s Enchanted Adventure: Pi on my Cake

Starting off, this is a fun little presentation that connects the whole season together. But I swear, if this is actually 84 pages Pi you are instantly eliminated…

Getting to the project, I am not sure how I feel about the IP choice for that park. Beauty and the Beast is already coming to Tokyo Disneyland next year and will be a state of the art trackless ride with beautiful AA’s. Going with a new BatB attraction may not have been the best IP choice.

I like the use of the classic Fantasyland busbar ride vehicles again. It feels very classic Fantasyland but at the same time feels like it is missing the unique “Tokyo” touch. The track layout map is very beautiful and visually appealing. It makes it clear how it is going to look reading through the attraction.

Getting into the attraction, I really like the idea of the attraction going through the dining area. They do a similar thing with Ratatouille in Paris where you can see the mice go by just before the unloading station while at the sit-down restaurant. It offers a new and exciting dynamic that you don’t see often. The Be Our Guest scene is lavish but I feel like it could’ve been bigger just due to how much goes on there.

Also, thank you for not making it 84 pages!

Overall, this is a very good project but I think you get hurt from the IP you went with for the park you chose.

Curse of the Cauldron: PerGronStudio

A very bold project! But you are taking up a large chunk of land to do it effectively! My biggest fear with that, however, is that making it a large castle it could/ would compete with Cinderella’s Castle. It is also a fairly large landmark with a weenie in Space Mountain right beside it. I am also concerned with how the “dark” look would work right beside Dumbo and the rest of Storybook Circus.

The queue is lovely and highly detailed! I like how you split groups into 40 or so for the preshow as it reminds me a lot of how they do Tower of Terror or Test Track and it works fairly successfully. The preshow itself is very good as well to start off the attraction.

Getting into the attraction, it’s long. Probably too long. 15 scenes is a lot even for the area being used. I don’t know if this is possible with Google Sites (never used it), but I would have loved if at the bottom of each scene there was a next scene button instead of going to the dropdown and clicking the next one every time. My favourite scene is easily Scene 3. I have always loved the Horned King and that scene in the film scared me as a kid. Putting it in the attraction is bold but I think could work quite well.

Overall, It is a very nice project but I think you went too ambitious on the size of the facade and the size of the attraction.

kmbmw777

kmb's Reviews

Fantasia: Symphony of Sorcery - TwilightZone

To be honest, writing these reviews will be an immense challenge. In order to help organize my thoughts, I’m going to be describing general thoughts, then presentation, then the ride itself. This goes for all of my reviews.

First, I wanted to say how awesome it has been to see you grow as an imagineer this season. You are one of the mostly improved imagineers on these boards and I can’t wait to see what you do in the future.

I thought using Fantasia for your IP was a little risky - it’s a niche movie and super unfamiliar with most outside hardcore Disney fans. One of my greatest fears about this ride would be that it wouldn’t be enough to draw in a crowd - fans of the movie would love it, but the majority of Disney park go-ers would probably be confused.

Also, your presentation was kind of confusing. First, I didn’t realize to click on the image until I came back to it today. Maybe I’m just dumb, but it seemed a little unclear. Also, I had a hard time navigating through the website, especially during the ride description. It would have been helpful to include links at the bottom of each page.

Onto the ride itself, it was the perfect representation of what Fantasia is - a montage of unrelated scenes. While you recreated the movie in ride format almost exactly, I still am unsure of whether it would translate well in the modern audience’s eyes, but for the purpose of this review let’s say it would. Your choices on scenes were wise, and you correctly identified which scenes are most memorable to the Audience (or at least me; only thing I would’ve modified is adding a night on bald mountain, but that is whatever.

The biggest thing your missing is music! Fantasia is a movie about music just as much as visual, and it would’ve made your ride from an A to an A+.

Overall your proposal was wise and rock solid. Perfect for any artsy person.

The Legend of Hercules: Evildigit

Evil, as I said to Twilight, it has been awesome to see your progression throughout the competition. You have grown a lot and I really hope to see you around in the future.

I think Hercules is an awesome IP choice and it lends itself nicely to a mini-land which you identified and described. In an ideal world, I wish there was a map to describe this mini-land you created, because I was slightly confused by the placing of everything. But the important thing is that you identified how awesome Greek mythology is and how it can support a lot of attractions.

My initial fear about your attraction is that it seemed like just a book report type ride. Most modern rides have tried to tell new stories based on the locations and characters of the movie and while that is very hard to do. But then I realized Hercules could support a book report ride, because most audiences are unfamiliar with the concept. The majority of the individuals I know have not seen the movie so this ride would still be new to them

I still wish that you added some justification for this in your proposal (explaining why you made it the way you did), so I don’t have to guess and try to justify.

The video and script were awesome additions. I am a huge fan of the music of the movie and it really helped your ride come to life. Also I always love reading scripts (they’re super fun).​

kmbmw777

Epee Dans la Pierre: James G.

I could feel the passion in your report and I commend you for that - your ride was super wholesome. Especially the bit about you and your son bonding, andSword in the Stone’s personal connection to you. I loved it. Huge fan! Let’s try to not let that pathos (that is appeal to emotion right?) Influence my views on the ride.

Your ride was told with your signature voice - your writing skills are extraordinary, man! I wish I could be as good as you. I feel like I could be immersed in the ride as I read it.

I’m going to be completely honest - I have never watched A Sword in the Stone. I know the story well - my dad is a huge nerd on things related to Camelot. Your ride seemed to be more than just s simple retelling of the movie which is awesome.

As a whole, I have few critiques on the project. I thought you nailed it and did exactly what this round tasked you to do. After reading your proposal, I think I can say Man, This will be hard to decide.

The Monkey King: Outbound

I loved your presentation method - the slideshow comic book deck is awesome and I cannot praise it enough. I am also a huge fan of your video making skills and writing skills - all of which are on display in this awesome project.

Your IP choice - or lack thereof was inspiring and probably the most creative of the entire round. I think it would be hard to pull off, but if its done successfully, man would it be worth it.

Your choice for ride vehicle was really cool, though I'm not sure if there is precedent so that we could assume that it would work. If we could assume that it works, it would make for a one of a kind experience.

As a whole, you have been an awesome competitor this season, and I look forwards to seeing what you can do in the future. Your skills as a leader have improved drastically and I think they will continue to improve throughout your career here. I can't wait to see what you accomplish.​

Evilgidgit

In an ideal world, I wish there was a map to describe this mini-land you created, because I was slightly confused by the placing of everything.

I did consider try making a map of the ride or the whole area, but didn't really have the time or know-how on where to start with that, since I don't really draw much anymore. Nate's way of doing a map in the Cinderella attraction was simple to follow. Maybe I'll use that as inspiration in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom