The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 5: ENDGAME - Hype Thread

DisneyManOne

Aladdin did what Beauty and the Beast attempted to do and succeeded but Will Smith brought it down a peg and Naomi Scott might need a chiropractor after carrying that entire 2 hour movie

I've heard Mena Massoud did an excellent job as Aladdin, and he and Scott had perfect chemistry. However, I'm still a bit apprehensive about seeing it myself. I may see it eventually, but I'm still not sure. Frankly, I think the biggest reason why this movie is not looking good to me is solely because of my musical biases; and I say that because I cannot stand Pasek and Paul.

If you don't know who they are, Pasek and Paul, who composed such popular hits as The Greatest Showman and Dear Evan Hansen, are basically to the 2010s musical scene what Andrew Lloyd Webber was to the 80s musical scene: cliched, over-hyped pop trite. Needless to say, I was none too pleased to learn that they were going to be co-writing a new song for the film; and from what rumblings I've heard, it's pretty much par for the course with the rest of the Pasek and Paul oeuvre.

mickeyfan5534

I've heard Mena Massoud did an excellent job as Aladdin, and he and Scott had perfect chemistry. However, I'm still a bit apprehensive about seeing it myself. I may see it eventually, but I'm still not sure. Frankly, I think the biggest reason why this movie is not looking good to me is solely because of my musical biases; and I say that because I cannot stand Pasek and Paul.

If you don't know who they are, Pasek and Paul, who composed such popular hits as The Greatest Showman and Dear Evan Hansen, are basically to the 2010s musical scene what Andrew Lloyd Webber was to the 80s musical scene: cliched, over-hyped pop trite. Needless to say, I was none too pleased to learn that they were going to be co-writing a new song for the film; and from what rumblings I've heard, it's pretty much par for the course with the rest of the Pasek and Paul oeuvre.
I liked the placement of the song. I liked how the song was directed. The actual song was bottom tier broadway but Naomi Scott performed the hell out of it and at least somewhat elevated it.

Suchomimus

Hello there
tumblr_pb64pvbu6w1sasycvo2_500.png

Disney Dad 3000

I believe the great movie ride should be starting soon. We are nearing the end of May and I’m wondering if it is still coming.

@Disney Dad 3000 ?

Hey, yeah, i'd originally planned for it to actually start 5/15 expecting some slowdown around here after a few months of S.A. and then end of school year, but it seemed to die even more so than usual so wasn't sure there seemed to be much of an appetite for anything right now. I also partially had second thoughts about some of the direction of the comp. Happy to put a feeler out there in the GMR thread and see if there's any kind of pulse for enough folks to get it going though with maybe a mid-June start.

kmbmw777

What are your all thoughts. I think it looks fun and could be great. But it didn’t feel like Pixar for some reason, it felt like Dreamworks. I don’t know why but that was the vibe I got.

But I’m still 200% gonna see it because Pixar has almost never let me down, and it’s got my two favorite actors starring!

NateD1226

What are your all thoughts. I think it looks fun and could be great. But it didn’t feel like Pixar for some reason, it felt like Dreamworks. I don’t know why but that was the vibe I got.

But I’m still 200% gonna see it because Pixar has almost never let me down, and it’s got my two favorite actors starring!

I had the same idea! It feels off to me! But I will still watch

Outbound

Pixar's trailers are their one flaw. While you can watch to get an idea of what the movie will be like (and how beautiful the animation keeps getting) don't let it turn you off the movie. They like to randomly show a few entire sequences.

Sure enough, I looked it up on wikipedia and found an interesting plot summary: The film is set in a suburban fantasy world where humans do not exist, instead populated with elves, trolls, and sprites, where unicorns are as common as rodents. Two teenage elf brothers, Ian and Barley, embark on a quest to discover if there is still magic in the world in order to spend one day with their father, who died when they were too young to remember him.

Oh come on Pixar, not again...
giphy.gif

kmbmw777

Pixar's trailers are their one flaw. While you can watch to get an idea of what the movie will be like (and how beautiful the animation keeps getting) don't let it turn you off the movie. They like to randomly show a few entire sequences.

Sure enough, I looked it up on wikipedia and found an interesting plot summary: The film is set in a suburban fantasy world where humans do not exist, instead populated with elves, trolls, and sprites, where unicorns are as common as rodents. Two teenage elf brothers, Ian and Barley, embark on a quest to discover if there is still magic in the world in order to spend one day with their father, who died when they were too young to remember him.

Oh come on Pixar, not again...
giphy.gif
I remember reading that it’s inspired by the directors life as he lost his father at a young age, so I’m excited.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Saw Aladdin. Actually loved it. Thought Will Smith carried the movie and made the role his own. Jasmine and her handmaiden was a close second. Aladdin himself was decent, but clearly wasn't good at talking to cgi characters which was half his scenes. Musical numbers fell flat more often than not (other than Friend Like Me), but Aladdin was never as focused on the songs as some others Disney films.

I'd even say I liked this take on Jafar. Him being a former street rat like Aladdin. Framing him as less of a mad villain and more of a dark mirror of Aladdin. It wotked really well! But very different from movie Jafar.

Hey, yeah, i'd originally planned for it to actually start 5/15 expecting some slowdown around here after a few months of S.A. and then end of school year, but it seemed to die even more so than usual so wasn't sure there seemed to be much of an appetite for anything right now. I also partially had second thoughts about some of the direction of the comp. Happy to put a feeler out there in the GMR thread and see if there's any kind of pulse for enough folks to get it going though with maybe a mid-June start.

My contribution would have to be mostlt writing and pencil drawings right now, but I've been wanting to get back on the forum more and id love a good competition!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Saw Aladdin. Actually loved it. Thought Will Smith carried the movie and made the role his own. Jasmine and her handmaiden was a close second. Aladdin himself was decent, but clearly wasn't good at talking to cgi characters which was half his scenes. Musical numbers fell flat more often than not (other than Friend Like Me), but Aladdin was never as focused on the songs as some others Disney films.

I'd even say I liked this take on Jafar. Him being a former street rat like Aladdin. Framing him as less of a mad villain and more of a dark mirror of Aladdin. It wotked really well! But very different from movie Jafar.

My contribution would have to be mostlt writing and pencil drawings right now, but I've been wanting to get back on the forum more and id love a good competition!
and I'll add this about Aladdin.

I hated Cinderella, Dumbo, and Beauty and the Beast. And wasmwasn't that crazy for Maleficent or Jungle Book. This is the only live action disney remake I've actually liked and want to see again at some point.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I started a new open brainstorming thread! New prompt every day! Our goal is to keep a streak going of at least 10 days in a row, and we can make a new goal after that.

If you guys want to help come up with prompt ideas or with posting prompts, let me know! It's also totally cool to just brainstorm even if you don't have prompt ideas

DisneyManOne

Well, if there was ever one video that showcased why the "it ruined my childhood" excuse is a bunch of baloney...

I give you fair warning, this is cringe incarnate, even for someone like Doug Walker. Of course, I didn't watch it, nor do I plan to watch it, but clips of it were being shown on Twitter, and from what I've seen and heard...holy guacamole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom