The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season 3

Sam Magic

I hope it okay to post here, on the official competion thread...but I am going to. First, I am currently just a fan of these competitions. I am watching to see what would be required should I decide to enter "some day". I have been impressed by competitors in these competitions but am extremely dismayed by what I have read over the past few days. Participants and judges need to remember, there are others who particpate in this website that are new to the Imagineer area and really thinking of joining this forum. I am really re-thinking why I am considering this imaginative venue. I would love to put my imagination to work in something fun such as these competitions but have to wonder why I would subject myself. I have the time and I am learning the skills necessary. I really wanted to become a part of it. However, I don't want to be part of a contentious group or a bunch of people whose ego is so wounded by a critical opinion that they will just quit. Please contestants and judges...some of us non-participants actually look forward to your submissions and critiques.
As someone involved with what happened over the past few days I would like to be the first to let you know that those issues are being resolved peacefully so that we can repair the forum and continue with Imagineering. Thursday night was a first for this community, and I pray a last. It was a night filled with misunderstandings and miscommunications and something I know many of us our ready to put behind us. In a few days we will resume with the conversation on the future of the competitions and I personally hope that the new members will participate in those discussions. We want to make this an amazing, involved community and help it be a welcoming and warm place for all those who like to 'dream'. We've hit a rough patch, but I'm confident with your help and the help of many others we will overcome it and go back to doing what we all love, Imagineering. :)

ThemeParkJunkee

As someone involved with what happened over the past few days I would like to be the first to let you know that those issues are being resolved peacefully so that we can repair the forum and continue with Imagineering. Thursday night was a first for this community, and I pray a last. It was a night filled with misunderstandings and miscommunications and something I know many of us our ready to put behind us. In a few days we will resume with the conversation on the future of the competitions and I personally hope that the new members will participate in those discussions. We want to make this an amazing, involved community and help it be a welcoming and warm place for all those who like to 'dream'. We've hit a rough patch, but I'm confident with your help and the help of many others we will overcome it and go back to doing what we all love, Imagineering. :)

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I do enjoy reading these Imagineering threads. I was asked to join based on my interest earlier and do not feel my computer skills are quite there. I appreciate that the issue is being rectified. I will continue to watch and learn.

Sam Magic

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I do enjoy reading these Imagineering threads. I was asked to join based on my interest earlier and do not feel my computer skills are quite there. I appreciate that the issue is being rectified. I will continue to watch and learn.
I'm glad you are interested in participating in these competitions and furthering your abilities. You guys are the reason we are resolving this issues as peacefully as we can. This year and next year will have some exciting things in store so look out for upcoming contests and challenges. I also really encourage you to join even the smallest of comps, they in the past helped me develop some skills that I have and they continue to reinforce them.

If you're interested in graphic design, a fantastic and free tool to use is called Pixlr. I recommend making images transparent and saving them as .png. A great picture hosting website that I use is tinypic. There's a great thread called the Imagineer's Workshop with fantastic tips and tricks to making some of the stuff we make. It may be a few pages back though.

ThemeParkJunkee

I'm glad you are interested in participating in these competitions and furthering your abilities. You guys are the reason we are resolving this issues as peacefully as we can. This year and next year will have some exciting things in store so look out for upcoming contests and challenges. I also really encourage you to join even the smallest of comps, they in the past helped me develop some skills that I have and they continue to reinforce them.

If you're interested in graphic design, a fantastic and free tool to use is called Pixlr. I recommend making images transparent and saving them as .png. A great picture hosting website that I use is tinypic. There's a great thread called the Imagineer's Workshop with fantastic tips and tricks to making some of the stuff we make. It may be a few pages back though.

Thank you. I'll check it out. I also have to learn some of my expensive software anyway.

I hope it okay to post here, on the official competion thread...but I am going to. First, I am currently just a fan of these competitions. I am watching to see what would be required should I decide to enter "some day". I have been impressed by competitors in these competitions but am extremely dismayed by what I have read over the past few days. Participants and judges need to remember, there are others who particpate in this website that are new to the Imagineer area and really thinking of joining this forum. I am really re-thinking why I am considering this imaginative venue. I would love to put my imagination to work in something fun such as these competitions but have to wonder why I would subject myself. I have the time and I am learning the skills necessary. I really wanted to become a part of it. However, I don't want to be part of a contentious group or a bunch of people whose ego is so wounded by a critical opinion that they will just quit. Please contestants and judges...some of us non-participants actually look forward to your submissions and critiques.
I have to agree with you from an outsiders perspective and as someone who as been watching the competition it was slightly disconcerting. I, unfortunately, do not have the time nor skills to compete in anything such as this but it is fun to watch all of your ideas. That being said perhaps the last few days are the most like the TV show yet. Typically board rooms on the show can be contentious, here they could be vanilla especially given how you all respect each other's abilities [and that is important]. So perhaps you all should embrace it as your Omarosa moment and move forward with the competition.

TheOriginalTiki

I have to agree with you from an outsiders perspective and as someone who as been watching the competition it was slightly disconcerting. I, unfortunately, do not have the time nor skills to compete in anything such as this but it is fun to watch all of your ideas. That being said perhaps the last few days are the most like the TV show yet. Typically board rooms on the show can be contentious, here they could be vanilla especially given how you all respect each other's abilities [and that is important]. So perhaps you all should embrace it as your Omarosa moment and move forward with the competition.

You just raised a terrific point, and that's how to progress through comps in an exciting way versus a "vanilla" kind of way. A lot of the time this sort of dynamic is really up to the host, and I agree that in SA season three we've definitely had a bit more controversial boardrooms than in the past. I can tell you all that I absolutely look out for new people when it comes to this board, and that is by far the thing that frustrates me the most when stuff like this happens is the potential to scare off newer members who might have otherwise been interested in pursuing a contest. This site is an absolutely FANTASTIC place for geeks such as us to express our Disney love, and I'm completely and totally onboard for everyone who says there shouldn't be a lot of drama poking through the surface.

This is an organization built on the minds of a variety of different people, so like any organization there's going to be a natural level of conflict that comes up every so often, but what we need to take from this incident is to not let the conflict override everything and leak out into the main boards. That is why we have the conversation system, and we all know it.

The analogy is really on point. This was DEFINITELY our Omorossa moment (Or our Colton Cumbie moment, or our Big Brother 15 racism moment. Take your pick of controversial reality TV moments ;) ) And the best thing to do is learn our lessons from that and move forward. I genuinely hope that we don't loose any potential newer members over what went down, because as far as I'm concerned keeping new members engaged and made to feel like this is the safe and comfortable place it should be should always be our number one priority.

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Challenge 5: Theme Parks Are Universal
This week, all three teams are tasked with developing a brand new land for Universal Studios Florida at the Universal Orlando Resort. You must create a sleek new area fitting with the park's cohesive theme of cities featured in film. You could make a replacement for KidZone, you could develop the expansion pad behind Springfield and World Expo, or you could put your new land somewhere else in the park (no holds barred...you may remove what you like, but be realistic). Wherever it goes, make sure to include a map of the new area, with attractions, eateries, merchandise and more neatly labeled. As long as you stick with the adventure of riding the movies, you'll see the stars at the end of the boulevard...

19308830654_24a2ea96c1_o.jpg

This weeks Project Managers are;

Mickey
@JokersWild
Goofy
@MonorailRed

@RMichael21 has the immunity idol, as he was Project Manager of the winning team last challenge.

This week, as usual, @Vipraa and @TheOriginalTiki will be acting as advisers, like Donald Trump's children and associates on the show.

DOUBLE ELIMINATION!
rocky-2-o.gif

That's right, one person will be eliminated from each of the bottom two teams. The bottom team's Project Manager will select two others for the Board Room, while the third place Project Manager will select two other contestants as well.

Please provide at least 3 photos and no more than 15, in order to give a good sense of your land and its place at Universal Studios. You may communicate amongst your teams in a PM I will create and watch over. Ask me any questions there. Due date is Monday, August 3rd, at 8 PM. After you post your ideas please do not get into personal conflicts with the other team about concepts, or actions of punishment will take place. Good Luck! :)

Due date for Challenge 5 has been adjusted and everybody may continue concept creation.

spacemt354

Chili's
This thread has become extremely full and cluttered with non-competition material. Would it be possible to delete some posts from the past week so that everything from Challenge 5 is closer together?
Just to make it easier i would delete everything from the bottom of page 11 (the infamous letter :p) up until the season 3 theme song on pg 18

And then this one after the posts have been deleted ;) I'll do mine now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom