The Smells of Disney

rob0519

I would have to say:
  • the popcorn aroma on Main St. just after you pass under the tracks
  • the Main St. bakery, more so several years ago, but it's still enticing
  • the lobby at the Polynesian, though I've heard the air freshener has changed since our last visit.
While definitely distinctive, I can't say I'm a fan of the musty odor in POTC.

dopeylover

I was at my friends wedding last year, and as they were bringing the meals out, I grabbed my husbands arm because it smelled just like Liberty Tree! It's a weird smoky/meaty smell, but it took me right to MK. That's weird, right?

I also am a HUGE fan of POTC smells, I have to look into that fireside candle...

jbdorman

Original Poster
I was at my friends wedding last year, and as they were bringing the meals out, I grabbed my husbands arm because it smelled just like Liberty Tree! It's a weird smoky/meaty smell, but it took me right to MK. That's weird, right?

I also am a HUGE fan of POTC smells, I have to look into that fireside candle...
Not weird at all! Some of the strangest stuff brings me to one of the parks.

disneynut4u

100% Rome Burning in SE. My dad was a fireman for almost 30 years. When we went to WDW for the first time & smelled that, it brought back so many memories of what he smelled like when he came home from a fire. Now my son is a fireman, & every time he comes back from a fire, I smell him, and think "Man, I wish I was back at Disney!"

DisneyGirl3820

This probably doesn't count but how about the resorts? I find that the Contemporary, GF and Polynesian all have their distinctive smells as well.

My favorite ride smells are the Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Thunder Mountain.

jbdorman

Original Poster
This probably doesn't count but how about the resorts? I find that the Contemporary, GF and Polynesian all have their distinctive smells as well.

My favorite ride smells are the Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Thunder Mountain.
Resorts totally count. Love the GF smell!

George Lucas on a Bench

The smells are more powerful than anything, aren't they? Take Haunted Mansion, for example. It's very modernized compared to when I went as a kid. You can barely see the house when you're in line, people are screwing around on their phones and **** instead of realizing they're actually in WDW, there's that annoying interactive queue with all these zany sound effects which are totally out of place and they barely even play the howling dog sound anymore! Yet, as soon as you walk in the door and you get a whiff of that old HM aroma, it's like nothing at all has changed in the world.

jbdorman

Original Poster
The smells are more powerful than anything, aren't they? Take Haunted Mansion, for example. It's very modernized compared to when I went as a kid. You can barely see the house when you're in line, people are screwing around on their phones and **** instead of realizing they're actually in WDW, there's that annoying interactive queue with all these zany sound effects which are totally out of place and they barely even play the howling dog sound anymore! Yet, as soon as you walk in the door and you get a whiff of that old HM aroma, it's like nothing at all has changed in the world.
I agree and I am soooo thankful that it has stayed that way for a lot of things at WDW. With changes in suppliers and out-scourcing of a lot of the things Disney used to do themselves, Im at least glad they have tried to stay true to the original smells.

Grumpy1973

We love the smell of the GF lobby as well..my wife found a Bath and Body Works scent that smells very close, just can't remember the name of it right now, lol.. we always park and walk through the GF when we go for convenience and always comment on the smell there..

kings&giants

Not at all. Floridian aquifer has a slightly sulphur smell and then that with the water chlorination makes the Disney water I know. Whenever I am in a place with similar water I always wish I was in WDW. Now who is crazier since I have figured all that out? Haha
Who am I to judge...
images

jbdorman

Original Poster
I think the GF smell has a lot to do with the Basin shop on the upper level from the lobby.
Then again, it just smells expensive to me lol ;)
Yeah I get the expensive smell for sure! We stop in to usually get a buffet at 1900 Park Fare but I'm to afraid to touch anything outside of the buffet line! Haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom