The return of a Disneyland in Brazil - in a new location (open brainstorming)

WowFactor

About the transition (JC to RoA), I think you could add something magical: A cave full of fireflies / a sudden dense fog / a waterfall that opens. Also you can add a lot of sound effects, smells and lights.

mharrington

Original Poster
About the transition (JC to RoA), I think you could add something magical: A cave full of fireflies / a sudden dense fog / a waterfall that opens. Also you can add a lot of sound effects, smells and lights.

I've kind of solved the problem with the fire and water gods' feud, which somehow causes a lot of steam to spew and block your view (that could be the denseness idea you provided). You then find yourself climbing up a lift hill through a cavern full of stalactites, waterfalls and spurting geysers. You emerge to find yourself in the ROA side of the ride and the rapids continue from there.

The problem now is I'm having some difficulty tying the second half together. All I know is it that involves going up a lift hill and going down rivers based on the Rio Grande, the Mississippi and the Colorado. There would be an effect involving a forest fire, run-ins with wild animals like bears, and, as in most Disney river rapids rides, a plunge over a waterfall. I need to figure out some way of tying them together, especially the run-ins with animals part.

Again, any help there would be great.

mharrington

Original Poster
It's late, so I will do a short one. You climb up a lift hill, past stalactites, spurting geysers and rushing waterfalls. At the top, you emerge to float down what looks like the Rio Grande. This part of the ride is interconnected with this park's version of Big Thunder. You may even see a train blast by at one point or another. You float down a canyon river, past teetering rocks that threaten to fall in on you. As well, a mountain lion growls at you from one rock:
DSC_6646.jpg

The mountain lion crouches, ready to pounce (rather like the tiger in the Jungle Cruise). On another ledge, a coyote howls:
KT_50s60s_NWCoyote_N01.jpg

Up ahead, trees appear...

That's it for now. What are your thoughts?

mharrington

Original Poster
Before I proceed, what are your thoughts, @SeAraujo? What can be done with the Columbia River, beyond a gorge with waterfalls? This is the area with the trees I mentioned, and it will lead to a small plunge into a climax, so what can be done here?

WowFactor

How about a bunch of AA Indians that appear dressed in a war suit (like a real threat) making the boat have to escape through the plunge?

WowFactor

Imagine this: You are distracted seeing cutes raccoons in a tree log and suddenly you realize that several animals are entering the river trying to reach the other side. It is strange to see deer, wolves, horses together because they are enemy species. Your boat makes a curve and you then realize that the animals are running from a huge part of the forest which is in flames. Your boat when deflecting a burning floating log enters a rapids and ends in the final plunge.

What do you think? This way we can show several animals and we have a twist to get the rapids.

mharrington

Original Poster
Imagine this: You are distracted seeing cutes raccoons in a tree log and suddenly you realize that several animals are entering the river trying to reach the other side. It is strange to see deer, wolves, horses together because they are enemy species. Your boat makes a curve and you then realize that the animals are running from a huge part of the forest which is in flames. Your boat when deflecting a burning floating log enters a rapids and ends in the final plunge.

What do you think? This way we can show several animals and we have a twist to get the rapids.

That's a good idea, except I just had an idea for your route to be blocked off by a beaver dam, forcing you into the forest where numerous wildlife is all together, because the forest is ablaze.

And then the plunge, not very high, takes you to a climax involving a teleportation to primeval times! You see dinosaurs about, similar to the Primeval World diorama at Disneyland and also at Tokyo Disneyland. Yes, the Western River Railroad in Tokyo also concludes with its own diorama on dinosaurs. The rapids never slow, as you approach a climactic battle between a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a stegosaurus. Passing beneath their fight, you plunge down another waterfall and blast back out into daylight. The rapids now become more gentle as you float by a few more geysers before returning to port relatively safe and sound, if a bit more soggy.

And that concludes "Expedição do Rio Aventura" (Adventure River Expedition), here at Disneyland Curitiba!

mharrington

Original Poster
Ok moving on. What's next?

Well, before we move on, I would like to take this moment and double back to talk about something I didn't really talk about yet. As I had previously mentioned, the trains around the park have special table seating so you can bring your Starbucks-type drinks and snacks on board. As such, this Disneyland Railroad will be sponsored by Starbucks.

I had thought about the setting up the number system on the trains, although I'm having difficulty with names for them. Most parks' train numbers are just 1, 2, 3, etc. The only train system that does not do this is the Western River Railroad in Tokyo, whose train numbers are thus (each with their own Disney significance, at least according to Wikipedia):
  • #20: MISSISSIPPI ("20" refers to 1920, the year Walt Disney, with Ub Iwerks, formed his first company, the Iwerks-Disney Commercial Artists)
  • #25: RIO GRANDE ("25" refers to 1925, the year Walt got married to Lillian Bounds)
  • #28: MISSOURI ("28" refers to 1928, the year of the debut of "Steamboat Willie" and, by extension, of Mickey Mouse)
  • #53: COLORADO ("53" refers to 1953, the year when Walt first revealed his plans for the original Disneyland)
Anyway, for this park's trains, I thought about setting up the number system thus:
  • #55: the year Disneyland opened
  • #83: the year the first Disney park opened in Asia
  • #92: the year the first Disney park opened in Europe
  • #??: the year the first Disney park opens in South America (hence, this park)
I'm drawing a blank on the estimate for an opening, so I will leave that blank and have that train come by later. It's not the first time Disney parks have had new trains come on after the park opens. However, I'm having difficulty coming up with names for the trains. For reference, here are the names of the other parks' trains (I've already mentioned Tokyo, so I won't repeat it here):
  • DISNEYLAND: #1: C.K. Holliday, #2: E.P. Ripley, #3: Fred Gurley, #4: Ernest S. Marsh, #5: Ward Kimball
  • WALT DISNEY WORLD: #1: Walter E. Disney, #2: Lilly Belle; #3: Roger E. Broggie; #4: Roy O. Disney
  • DISNEYLAND PARIS: #1: W.F. Cody; #2: C.K. Holliday; #3: G. Washington; #4: Eureka
  • HONG KONG DISNEYLAND: #1: Walter E. Disney, #2: Roy O. Disney; #3: Frank G. Wells
So, again, any help on names for these trains for the Brazil park would be great.

WowFactor

• #55: O.S. Martinez (Oscar Martinez the longest tenured cast member at the Disneyland)
  • #83: E.C. Walker (Esmond Cardon Walker, no need to speak about)
  • #92: P.H. Gas (Philippe Gas, CEO at DP from 2008 to 2014)
  • #??: J. Oliveira (The Jose Carioca's voice in Saludo Amigos - 1943)

mharrington

Original Poster
  • #55: O.S. Martinez (Oscar Martinez the longest tenured cast member at the Disneyland)
  • #83: E.C. Walker (Esmond Cardon Walker, no need to speak about)
  • #92: P.H. Gas (Philippe Gas, CEO at DP from 2008 to 2014)
  • #??: J. Oliveira (The Jose Carioca's voice in Saludo Amigos - 1943)

Actually, I just came up with the idea of naming the #55 train the C.K. Holliday, as a nod to Disneyland history. In addition, one of the trains in Paris is also called the C.K. Holliday. The rest are fine, though.

I also had another idea. The new look for Mickey and Minnie was introduced in Shanghai and eventually made its way to most of the other parks worldwide. I was thinking of doing the same thing here, with another character who has changed relatively little over the last 40(!) years. And that is Goofy (or Pateta, as he is known in Brazil).

Goofy has changed relatively little since 1978. The only major changed made since then was that he had had eyelashes that were removed around 1999. Here's how he looked with the eyelashes...

And here's how he looks without the eyelashes (ergo, how he looks today)...

As you can see, there is not much difference between the two, so it's safe to say Goofy has remained the same for 40 years!

That is why I was thinking of using this park to introduce a new look to Goofy that will ultimately be added to all the parks worldwide, one relatively more in line with how he looks in the cartoons:

It's crude (i.e., the pupils need to be made smaller), but it gives you a rough idea of what I had in mind. What are your thoughts?

WowFactor

I liked the idea and the join of the white... I don't know about the pupils. Seems that in Brazil he is still with the small oval ones.
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 16.29.23.png

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
So far in this Adventureland, there have been at least two major attractions, a new Pirates ride and a river rapids ride that is also equal parts Jungle Cruise and the Rivers of America, but there is at least one more major ride in this area, a new take on still another classic ride, the wildest ride in the wilderness.

In this case, I was thinking of merging Big Thunder with elements of Expedition Everest, Grizzly River Run and Journey To the Center of the Earth.

I was thinking about taking some inspiration from an early concept for this ride back when it was considered as part of the Western River Expedition way back when. According to Jim Hill...

Climbing the steps up to a rickety old train platform, they [the guests] could have then boarded ore cars for what was supposed to be a scenic tour of the old mine.

This mine train ride would have started out peacefully enough, with a wheezy old johnny engine slowly pulling the guests through dark caverns full of stalactites and stalagmites. But - once the train got back out into the sunshine and tried to make it up a particularly steep hill - something unfortunate would happen.

At this point in the ride, the ore cars full of WDW visitors would have inexplicably become uncoupled from the johnny engine up front. Quickly rolling back downhill, the ore cars would have picked up speed and suddenly burst into a previously closed off section of the mine. This part of the ride would be the thrill portion of the attraction - as participants rode backwards through several hundred yards of dark tunnels full of quick twists and turns.

The finale of this ore car ride would have come when visitors - who had been warned earlier about the bottomless pit that lay at the heart of Big Thunder Mesa's mining operation - only escaped certain death thanks to the quick thinking of the miner who had been running the johnny engine. This crusty old character would throw an emergency brake just before the ore cars plunged into the abyss. He would then reattach the johnny engine to the ore cars and pulled the guests back to the relative safety of the ride's unload area.

There will be more to it than that, of course, and unlike this concept, it will be pretty much fast-paced every step of the way like other versions out there. I'm trying to come up with some monster to haunt the mountain. I was thinking of this creature called the Glawackus, a fierce brute resembling a combination of a bear, a lion and a panther, but the problem there is that it was spotted primarily in the East and only as far west as Colorado.

What do you think?

WowFactor

So far in this Adventureland, there have been at least two major attractions, a new Pirates ride and a river rapids ride that is also equal parts Jungle Cruise and the Rivers of America, but there is at least one more major ride in this area, a new take on still another classic ride, the wildest ride in the wilderness.

In this case, I was thinking of merging Big Thunder with elements of Expedition Everest, Grizzly River Run and Journey To the Center of the Earth.

I was thinking about taking some inspiration from an early concept for this ride back when it was considered as part of the Western River Expedition way back when. According to Jim Hill...

Climbing the steps up to a rickety old train platform, they [the guests] could have then boarded ore cars for what was supposed to be a scenic tour of the old mine.

This mine train ride would have started out peacefully enough, with a wheezy old johnny engine slowly pulling the guests through dark caverns full of stalactites and stalagmites. But - once the train got back out into the sunshine and tried to make it up a particularly steep hill - something unfortunate would happen.

At this point in the ride, the ore cars full of WDW visitors would have inexplicably become uncoupled from the johnny engine up front. Quickly rolling back downhill, the ore cars would have picked up speed and suddenly burst into a previously closed off section of the mine. This part of the ride would be the thrill portion of the attraction - as participants rode backwards through several hundred yards of dark tunnels full of quick twists and turns.

The finale of this ore car ride would have come when visitors - who had been warned earlier about the bottomless pit that lay at the heart of Big Thunder Mesa's mining operation - only escaped certain death thanks to the quick thinking of the miner who had been running the johnny engine. This crusty old character would throw an emergency brake just before the ore cars plunged into the abyss. He would then reattach the johnny engine to the ore cars and pulled the guests back to the relative safety of the ride's unload area.

There will be more to it than that, of course, and unlike this concept, it will be pretty much fast-paced every step of the way like other versions out there. I'm trying to come up with some monster to haunt the mountain. I was thinking of this creature called the Glawackus, a fierce brute resembling a combination of a bear, a lion and a panther, but the problem there is that it was spotted primarily in the East and only as far west as Colorado.

What do you think?

WowFactor

I don't know if a beast is necessary in this ride. Don't get me wrong, Glawackus seems a good character but I rather think it's best just a simple ride in a mine wich is falling apart (or about to explode).

The backward section is a very good effect but IMO a track drop inside the mountain would add much more "wow" factor.

Check this out:

mharrington

Original Poster
I don't know if a beast is necessary in this ride. Don't get me wrong, Glawackus seems a good character but I rather think it's best just a simple ride in a mine wich is falling apart (or about to explode).

The backward section is a very good effect but IMO a track drop inside the mountain would add much more "wow" factor.

Check this out:

Cool! But I don't want it to just be another Big Thunder copy. I want to do something different, which is why I thought of the Glawackus.

Another idea I thought is that it is cursed by a wrathful Thunder God that natives feared. There was a mining operation that discovered the possibility of gold in them there hills and went after it. However, the Thunder God that protects the mountain does not take kindly to strangers desecrating the mountain for profit, and so doomed the mining operation to failure. The mine fell apart, and the miners were killed, their spirits were doomed to live in the mine for eternity. At least one miner, a crusty old character, managed to escape the ordeal stands guard at the entrance to the mine, cautioning guests against entering, especially since there is a bottomless pit at the center of the mountain where the Thunder God originates. However, they disregard his admonitions like the fools they are and board the trains anyway.

The ride begins with trains going quickly (but not too quickly yet) down an outside track toward the entrance to the mine, and climb a hill through a cave full of stalagmites and stalactites, where the ghostly wails of miners are already heard. The sound of the Thunder God is heard here, and the next thing that is know, the trains pick up speed and race down hills, around turns and through tunnels. But things really turn surreal in one tunnel, where the train climbs another hill inside. Once at the top, the train starts forward slowly, but the spirits uncouple the engine from the rest of the train! The next thing that is known, the ground gives way under the rest of the train, and, similar to @SeAraujo's suggestion, the train drops down to a lower level and proceeds apace without the engine!

The mine cars continue the speedy journey, until they come across another mine riddled with gold, and dynamite poised to blow up. The wailing spirit of one miner lights the dynamite, and the Thunder God appears and tries to curse the guests, as the miner was cursed, but the dynamite explodes and the train plows forward again. The mine cars meet the Thunder God near the mysterious bottomless pit and it tries to condemn guests to the pit. Miraculously, however, the old miner from the beginning manages to throw an emergency brake before the cars plunge into the abyss. He then has the missing engine reattached to the mine cars, and the train pulls into the unload area.

What do you think of this ride? I'm thinking of calling it the Thunder God Mountain Railroad. Part of the river rapids ride will also share this ride complex with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom