The return of a Disneyland in Brazil - in a new location (open brainstorming)

mharrington

Original Poster
The character could also be a female based off Amelia Earhart.

Maybe, but we need to come up with a name for this character, something befitting the Society of Explorers and Adventurers.

Actually, on the Disney Wiki site, there is an article devoted to the Society, and it shows that there are at least two members of the Society, who don't have associated attractions. One of them, whose portrait is seen Hong Kong's Mystic Manor, is named Prof. R. Blauerhimmel, and he is dressed in aviation duds:

The only question is what should the R stand for?

spacemt354

Chili's
A lot of S.E.A. character names tend to roll off the tongue or use alliteration. Barnabas T. Bullion, Harrison Hightower, Henry Mystic (Mystic Manor), Mary Oceaneer, etc

Maybe create an entirely new S.E.A. character? then you don't have to worry about what the R stands for.

Professor Rudolfo Blauerhimmel doesn't really roll off the tongue.

mharrington

Original Poster
A lot of S.E.A. character names tend to roll off the tongue or use alliteration. Barnabas T. Bullion, Harrison Hightower, Henry Mystic (Mystic Manor), Mary Oceaneer, etc

Maybe create an entirely new S.E.A. character? then you don't have to worry about what the R stands for.

Professor Rudolfo Blauerhimmel doesn't really roll off the tongue.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at coming up with these names. The only thing I can think of is something like Prof. Santos Soaren, but it sounds kind of lame.

mharrington

Original Poster
o_O

Multiple people just praised the name you came up with. You are only one saying it isnt good.

That's because I'm the one who originally created it, and I already stated right out how lame it was.

That should tell you that maybe you're too overly critical of your own ideas and should listen to others' compliments.

I wasn't even the one who suggested a S.E.A. connection in the first place.

The thing is, I tend to be critical of a lot of my ideas, because I want to be done just right. "Santos Soren" doesn't sound natural to me.

spacemt354

Chili's
That's because I'm the one who originally created it, and I already stated right out how lame it was.

I wasn't even the one who suggested a S.E.A. connection in the first place.

The thing is, I tend to be critical of a lot of my ideas, because I want to be done just right. "Santos Soren" doesn't sound natural to me.
If it doesnt sound natural to you then why did you even say it?

mharrington

Original Poster
If it doesnt sound natural to you then why did you even say it?

I was having difficulty with a name, so I looked up the Society on Disney Wiki, and I found a couple of characters that have yet to be linked to attractions. One of them was Prof. R. Blauerhimmel, who at this point only has a portrait in Mystic Manor. I thought maybe he could be used for the Brazil park's Soarin' ride, since (if his portrait is any indication) he already is dressed in pilot garb anyway, and the theme basically is flying through the air over various landmarks throughout the world. The idea is that he is putting a new flying contraption on display at the Expo and he is looking for volunteers (i.e., the guests) to help him try it out.

The trouble started when I was just trying to figure out what the "R" could mean, and since it was Brazil, I proposed an appropriate Portuguese name (maybe he could be a German living in Brazil or something, since I'm told Brazil has a German community anyway), but it was rejected for not rolling off the tongue, as most of the S.E.A.'s members names do apparently. But I was having difficulty coming up with anything, and it was obvious that I was alone, so I had to come up with the first thing that popped into my mind. I didn't like my choice (it didn't sound worthy of the Society), and I half-expected people to at least to come up with suggestions.

It is possible for something to be liked by fans without being liked by its creator. TVTropes.org calls it "Creator Backlash":

Fandom is an interesting entity. Nobody can quite tell how people will react to anything, making the creation of a popular work a crapshoot. However, it's assumed that most creators hold an equal or greater amount of affection for their work than their fans. After all, they had to actually make it in the first place. So obviously, anything that's popular must be something the creator likes, right?

Not quite. See, the creators are people too, and even if they're the origin of a particular work, that doesn't stop them from holding a negative opinion about it. This is what is referred to as creator backlash. It's the most high profile form of hatedom possible, since it's the very creator(s) of the work denouncing it. As they bring up their feelings of hatred for their work in interviews, public forums, and their other creations, it brings a certain amount of discord into being a fan when the very source has denounced it. It might even trigger feelings of betrayal, or resentment that the author has (apparently) become a holier-than-thou hypocrite.

And then someone pointed out that "Blauerhimmel" is German for "blue sky", so perhaps the first name "R" should be German, too. Even so, it will seem rather weird to have this alleged German speak Portuguese for the safety spiel.

spacemt354

Chili's
I was having difficulty with a name, so I looked up the Society on Disney Wiki, and I found a couple of characters that have yet to be linked to attractions. One of them was Prof. R. Blauerhimmel, who at this point only has a portrait in Mystic Manor. I thought maybe he could be used for the Brazil park's Soarin' ride, since (if his portrait is any indication) he already is dressed in pilot garb anyway, and the theme basically is flying through the air over various landmarks throughout the world. The idea is that he is putting a new flying contraption on display at the Expo and he is looking for volunteers (i.e., the guests) to help him try it out.

The trouble started when I was just trying to figure out what the "R" could mean, and since it was Brazil, I proposed an appropriate Portuguese name (maybe he could be a German living in Brazil or something, since I'm told Brazil has a German community anyway), but it was rejected for not rolling off the tongue, as most of the S.E.A.'s members names do apparently. But I was having difficulty coming up with anything, and it was obvious that I was alone, so I had to come up with the first thing that popped into my mind. I didn't like my choice (it didn't sound worthy of the Society), and I half-expected people to at least to come up with suggestions.

It is possible for something to be liked by fans without being liked by its creator. TVTropes.org calls it "Creator Backlash":

Fandom is an interesting entity. Nobody can quite tell how people will react to anything, making the creation of a popular work a crapshoot. However, it's assumed that most creators hold an equal or greater amount of affection for their work than their fans. After all, they had to actually make it in the first place. So obviously, anything that's popular must be something the creator likes, right?

Not quite. See, the creators are people too, and even if they're the origin of a particular work, that doesn't stop them from holding a negative opinion about it. This is what is referred to as creator backlash. It's the most high profile form of hatedom possible, since it's the very creator(s) of the work denouncing it. As they bring up their feelings of hatred for their work in interviews, public forums, and their other creations, it brings a certain amount of discord into being a fan when the very source has denounced it. It might even trigger feelings of betrayal, or resentment that the author has (apparently) become a holier-than-thou hypocrite.

And then someone pointed out that "Blauerhimmel" is German for "blue sky", so perhaps the first name "R" should be German, too. Even so, it will seem rather weird to have this alleged German speak Portuguese for the safety spiel.
This is just a case of you being overly critical when it comes to this kind of stuff.

You ask for help with imagineering things, then criticize the help. You come up with a name that everyone else supported, and you shut it down.

It makes it incredibly difficult to work with you because we just talk in circles.

mharrington

Original Poster
This is just a case of you being overly critical when it comes to this kind of stuff.

You ask for help with imagineering things, then criticize the help. You come up with a name that everyone else supported, and you shut it down.

It makes it incredibly difficult to work with you because we just talk in circles.

The thing is, I have ideas, and I feel like my ideas are not being appreciated very much. It seems to me that if everyone else likes it, then I should be required to like it, too? You criticize my ideas, yet I can't criticize yours?

Anyway, how about "Raimundo" for the first name? It is German, as well as Portuguese. Look it up here: http://www.babynameguide.com/categorygerman.asp?strAlpha=R&strCat=German&strGender=M. It sounds perfect!

And the ride itself is the same as other versions, save for the ending scene. Instead of Disneyland (as in the CA Adventure), Epcot (as in, well, Epcot) and Shanghai (as in Shanghai Disneyland), it will have a flyover of some locale in Brazil. Maybe it could be Rio during the Carnival or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom