The Red Button Option

mwf5555

I guess it is to educate on where things are with a differing viewpoint. It seems to be a green field that needs some good counterpoint and proper info. That is not welcome? Also.... I am certain that layoffs are coming very soon so people need to see what is going on.

I have 2 other posts that are waiting for Mod approval with more info. Look for those when the Mod gets to them.
certain layoffs are coming? speculation of 100% factual?

UCFWildlife

The unreputable site is saying that both locations of Ample Hills are closing permanently. Definitely interesting in light of what pro just mentioned

el_super

I would assume any and all of them. The long term tourism travel / attendance challenges are not going to be unique to Florida. Or the United States, for that matter.

Exactly, and I think that's the point: it doesn't take insider knowledge or deep sources to know that some businesses are going to go bankrupt and lots of people are going to lose their jobs between now and next year. Anyone watching the news should know it's going to be rough, and there have been people here posting this for months.

Lilofan

Exactly, and I think that's the point: it doesn't take insider knowledge or deep sources to know that some businesses are going to go bankrupt and lots of people are going to lose their jobs between now and next year. Anyone watching the news should know it's going to be rough, and there have been people here posting this for months.
Anyone with discretionary spending income to help support business, consider themselves very lucky for now.

Ldno

I mean seriously though going back to march and the news regarding pre closures, almost ALL the chatter was like oh nawww stop being negative, things will turn around, it’s not going to get rough, it will be for two weeks only, etc etc, every single Disney defender was completely against the negativity and going after it also, now it’s oh damn, well we did not see that coming, when will they re open disney, oh no re close the parks because of safety blah blah, etc it’s been entertaining see how opinions shift regarding this.

Piebald

I have zero insight into WDWPro's source of information but I can think of a few 3rd party vendors that I'm shocked have survived all of this to be honest. And by "all of this" I mean just the initial closing. I'm not sure how they're still around especially now.

Chomama

The unreputable site is saying that both locations of Ample Hills are closing permanently. Definitely interesting in light of what pro just mentioned
The founders of ample hills had to sell and have now left completely and have no involvement with the company as of this summer. I think that situation was already a mess (follow the family on IG)

Piebald

Also not to beat a dead horse and apologies for not quoting the OP but whoever said college football is happening .. el oh el.

NFL I can see for the time being. It wont be easy but they have the resources. College? I've already assumed college fb is dead this year no matter what the conferences or ADs say. Just not gonna happen. Which will kill Disney because ESPN spends so much on those TV contracts. Gonna be a lot of boring Saturdays in the fall

VaderTron

I guess it is to educate on where things are with a differing viewpoint. It seems to be a green field that needs some good counterpoint and proper info. That is not welcome? Also.... I am certain that layoffs are coming very soon so people need to see what is going on.

I have 2 other posts that are waiting for Mod approval with more info. Look for those when the Mod gets to them.

Interesting that you want to "educate" when your supposed career choice is in the entertainment field. (Which is about all your posting here is accomplishing. Popcorn-worthy entertainment.) If you truly wish to educate you can tell Disney you want to leave and go college to become an educator.

Warning: You will have to be willing to listen to others and grow/adapt your understanding based on new information or your money will be wasted.

asianway

Also not to beat a dead horse and apologies for not quoting the OP but whoever said college football is happening .. el oh el.

NFL I can see for the time being. It wont be easy but they have the resources. College? I've already assumed college fb is dead this year no matter what the conferences or ADs say. Just not gonna happen. Which will kill Disney because ESPN spends so much on those TV contracts. Gonna be a lot of boring Saturdays in the fall

_caleb

I'm both surprised, and not surprised, that this Splash theme wasn't leaked before hand.
It kind of was leaked. See this OC Register article, published 6 days before Disney's official announcement of the Splash Mountain retheme. It was supposedly a CM engaging in a bit of armchair imagineering:

Disneyland cast member Frederick Chambers’ idea to retheme Splash Mountain with a “Princess and the Frog” backstory sparked an online debate about the racist undertones inherent in the ride based on the controversial 1940s Disney movie “Song of the South.”

An online petition signed by tens of thousands of supporters calls on Disney to retheme Splash Mountain to “Princess and the Frog.” Any retheme of a Disney theme park attraction would be handled by Walt Disney Imagineering, the creative arm of the company.

Chambers, who works in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland, has been armchair Imagineering a Princess and the Frog makeover of Splash Mountain for four years."

Point is, leaks (intentional and otherwise) do come out- through Cast Members, Insiders, and Influencers. The "Red Button Option" may be one of those leaks that attempts to gauge and sway public opinion about something the company may or may not be considering.

mwf5555

I'm hearing talks are beginning with third party vendors holding leases and contracts for businesses on property. There may need to be emergency measures to protect them from exiting the resort. It looks like some businesses are viewing the numbers moving forward as unsustainable.
any updates on layoff timeframes?

mwf5555

This is the kind of rumor that sounds plausible on paper, but will fall apart given any serious scrutiny.

I generally find it doubtful that any business would be considering bailing on a Disney contract. Even if the numbers look bad for Disney moving forward, they would still look a whole lot worse without them. There aren't a lot of opportunities for say, Landry's to bail on restaurants inside the park and think they would make more money setting up shop on I-Drive
If the plan is to subsidize 3rd party even further for retention, that must mean even more layoffs for Disney Cast to mitigate the substantial losses...

mwf5555

Wouldn't it be more an issue of the businesses bleeding money with the current level of attendance and them not seeing things getting better anytime soon? This whole thread is largely based around the idea that Disney is concerned about running out of money and considering desperate measures, so it would stand to reason that in an emergency such as the present smaller companies would rush to offload anything that was draining cash such as expensive restaurants and shops to operate at WDW.
....and non-operations Labor...

Nubs70

Wouldn't it be more an issue of the businesses bleeding money with the current level of attendance and them not seeing things getting better anytime soon? This whole thread is largely based around the idea that Disney is concerned about running out of money and considering desperate measures, so it would stand to reason that in an emergency such as the present smaller companies would rush to offload anything that was draining cash such as expensive restaurants and shops to operate at WDW.
Correct.

If third party venors are not providing revenue to WDW and WDW is in cash conservation mode, why subsidize non revenue generating 3rd parties? By assuming the "3rd party bleeding of cash", WDW would just increase their own "bleeding of cash". It is in the best interest of WDW to cut loose the 3rd parties.

The hope that crowd levels would return in a reasonable timeframe are gone. Now is the time to go to Plan B.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom