"The Problem With Disney Fans"

HongKongFu

I agree that we sometimes forget that IPs have existed for almost as long as the Disney parks themselves have existed,

I think your use of first person plural is out of place.

No, we don't sometimes forget.......we( and I feel safe to say) have known and constantly know. And for the super few uninformed who don't pay attention to basics there are those like you who keep bringing it up in one way or another to enlighten them

Last edited:

stratman50th

Too much negativity? Just what are we being too negative about?

IP injections where they don't make sense?
Price increases on hotels, park admission, upcharges?
Declining show quality and cuts to live entertainment?
Crowded parks with long, slow lines on both the stand-by and FP sides?
Rising food prices with lowered food quality?
My thoughts exactly. We hadn't been since 2012 and I said I wasn't going back for these specific reasons. It just wasn't what we knew and there are other places to go and see. My wife had seeing the Christmas decorations on her bucket list so we went last Dec. (2018).
I still feel the same way after going again.
I'm waiting for someone to say "glad you aren't going any more! Less people for us to deal with". Makes me laugh. For every family who no longer goes from the US, there's 747 loads full of people from the UK, Europe, and South America to take our place so enjoy our 2 square feet of pavement! LOL.

mharrington

Original Poster
Actually yeah they do. They made that decision during that fiasco a few weeks back.

Really? That surprises me, given that they are all complaining about all the bad things that happen now. For example, there, as here, they have a thread all about that one article from The Federalist that accuses Disney of "losing its way". And also, what fiasco?

God forbid people share an opinion. I get so sick of the high and mighty on this board acting like we are indignant snobs for sharing a critical opinion. Frankly, I find the people who can't pull the pixie dust needle outta their veins and (to be fair to everyone) the people who constantly moan about Disney to be comparable to a patch of acne; always around and hard to get rid of. There has to be a balance. I don't think you're a true fan if all you do is praise a multibillion dollar company. Real fans are able to critically see the good and bad. I take the same approach to my favorite singer. I worship her almost like a god, but that doesn't mean she is free of criticism.

Tl;dr this guy is an Alien Swirling Saucer who can't handle opinions different from his own.

Unfortunately, it seems there are way too many threads seeing, in any way, shape or form, the bad, and very, very few threads seeing the good. If there's supposed to be a balance, then there should be just as many threads, if not more, about the good as there are about the bad.

If there are a few threads here and there about the bad, that would be one thing, but when you see almost nothing but negativity everywhere you look, it gets really old really fast.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Really? That surprises me, given that they are all complaining about all the bad things that happen now. For example, there, as here, they have a thread all about that one article from The Federalist that accuses Disney of "losing its way". And also, what fiasco?

Not going to rehash the entire thing all over again nor really get into the other forum, but their head admin made a rule that constant negativity would no longer be tolerated over there during the Al Lutz stuff.

Sharon&Susan

People forget that IPs have actually been around since the beginning of Disneyland. Davy Crockett was an IP and so are all those Disney movies, many of them based off of old stories.
And in what show were the Davy Crockett segments created for?

Hint: It starts with a “Disney” and ends in “Land”.

FettFan

Again, nobody is against IP integration.
Some of WDW's greatest rides were and are IP based. Current notable examples: Splash Mountain, Star Tours, and the Tower of Terror.

Nobody complains about these because they make thematic sense to their locations.
Splash is in the Frontierland area of the Magic Kingdom and retains the same aesthetic as the Country Bear Jamboree, while Star Tours and Tower of Terror exist in a park that was originally conceived as a working studio and celebration of movies and television.

The problem is in BAD IP integration. The folks who complain about Frozen in Norway are generally silent when it comes to the Three Caballeros in Mexico or Ratatouille in France, or the upcoming Mary Poppins attraction at the United Kingdom. Why?
Because the 3C's are actually touring across Mexico, and are seen animated over several actual locations in Mexico. It's still not a great ride, and a MAJOR downgrade from the original El Rio Del Tiempo, but at least it DOES present the actual country.
GranFiestaTour.png

Ratatouille? That movie actually takes place in Paris.
giphy.gif

Frozen? The look of that movie was "inspired by" Norway, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual country of Norway.

Hell, 'Atlantis: The Lost Empire' would be a better thematic fit for Norway than Frozen simply because that movie, at least in the prologue, has actual Norwegian characters in it.
latest

The only reason Frozen is there is because they wanted to get people and their dollars into World Showcase as quickly as possible.

mharrington

Original Poster
Frozen? The look of that movie was "inspired by" Norway, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual country of Norway.

Hell, 'Atlantis: The Lost Empire' would be a better thematic fit for Norway than Frozen simply because that movie, at least in the prologue, has actual Norwegian characters in it.
latest

The only reason Frozen is there is because they wanted to get people and their dollars into World Showcase as quickly as possible.

Actually, I would like to disagree with you there: Arendelle is a real place. Or at least, it's named after a real place: https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/southern-norway/arendal/about/.

And furthermore...

"Per Disney, Arendelle gets its name from Arendal, a 16th-century shipping town about a three-hour drive southwest of Oslo"
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trav...outhern-fjords-180956427/#btdCgAs5lKEvxDhT.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

In closing, the IP integration of Frozen in Norway is not so bad after all.

I realize that everyone is going to have an opinion on what Disney has done/is doing/is going to do with the theme parks. I also realize that forums such as this one are where those opinions are going to be displayed and discussed. What I don't understand is the level of hatred, bitterness and vitriol that is often associated with the opinions. It seems to be a fairly rare occurrence where a discussion about any subject on here does not devolve into statements based purely on emotion and devoid of any fact and logic. Most of us on here are passionate about Disney & Disney theme parks, but if the new plans for Epcot, for example, make you angrier than the constant corruption, injustice and tragedy in our society, then your priorities are completely misplaced. Most people are dealing with multiple areas of their life that cause undue stress, anxiety, etc-why would you allow anything surrounding any leisure/entertainment activity to add to that?

Exactly. I couldn't have said this any better myself. It frustrates me and my family. It seems as though the fans/nostalgists seem to know what's best for the company, and Tiki Gods forbid they allow any deviation from such. If positive opinions can only come from people "paid" by Disney to offer them, then I'd rather read the opinions from them. Besides Offhand Disney, another web series that is more or less positive of Disney that I like is the Disney Food Blog.

Sharon&Susan

If positive opinions can only come from people "paid" by Disney to offer them, then I'd rather read the opinions from them.
ECHO.jpg

Why are you on a public forum, if you do not want to hear any opposing opinions? The main purpose for a forum is to have a discussion, which to my mind brings the thought of differing viewpoints.

Who am I hurting by saying I don't like Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters? I doubt anyone at Disney or ever worked at Disney cares what I think. If it's anyone who likes Astro Blasters, I'd love to have a discussion with any one of them as long as they're not blatantly trolling. I'm not going to lose sleep over it and no one really should. It's a family friendly amusement park that is on the pricy side.

I don't claim to know what is the best for Disney and I don't really care about it business wise. Just the same as I don't care about why they made any assorted high blockbuster movie. I'll criticize it and crack jokes at its expense if I don't like it either way.

I'm sorry if someone called you or someone else told you to shut up for being positive about Disney. But, Disney isn't free from criticism or any other multimedia conglomerate either.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Again, nobody is against IP integration.
Some of WDW's greatest rides were and are IP based. Current notable examples: Splash Mountain, Star Tours, and the Tower of Terror.

Nobody complains about these because they make thematic sense to their locations.
Splash is in the Frontierland area of the Magic Kingdom and retains the same aesthetic as the Country Bear Jamboree, while Star Tours and Tower of Terror exist in a park that was originally conceived as a working studio and celebration of movies and television.

The problem is in BAD IP integration. The folks who complain about Frozen in Norway are generally silent when it comes to the Three Caballeros in Mexico or Ratatouille in France, or the upcoming Mary Poppins attraction at the United Kingdom. Why?
Because the 3C's are actually touring across Mexico, and are seen animated over several actual locations in Mexico. It's still not a great ride, and a MAJOR downgrade from the original El Rio Del Tiempo, but at least it DOES present the actual country.
GranFiestaTour.png

Ratatouille? That movie actually takes place in Paris.
giphy.gif

latest

This. THIS.

THIS THIS THIS THIS.

bUU

Again, so what.
So all whining about IP is disingenuous: What's wrong with just saying that you aren't happy about something? Why try to distort that into something someone else is doing wrong? Of course, the answer is to make a personal disappointment sound more important than it actually is.

bUU

Who am I hurting by saying I don't like Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters? I doubt anyone at Disney or ever worked at Disney cares what I think. If it's anyone who likes Astro Blasters, I'd love to have a discussion with any one of them as long as they're not blatantly trolling. I'm not going to lose sleep over it and no one really should. It's a family friendly amusement park that is on the pricy side. I don't claim to know what is the best for Disney and I don't really care about it business wise.
And that distinguishes you from many of the other posters here. As you rightfully pointed out, the conflict isn't about saying what we like and don't like. Rather, it is claiming to know what's best for Disney when the reality is that what you actually know and are sharing is what's best for yourself.

The_Jobu

If positive opinions can only come from people "paid" by Disney to offer them, then I'd rather read the opinions from them

Then why are you even on a discussion forum? If you only want to listen to shills that are another arm of the Disney marketing machine where everything is the best thing ever, you can just post in the comments of the Disney Parks Blog.

This is a forum. Where people discuss and debate things. It's like you're opening a steam pipe and getting mad it's full of steam.

HongKongFu

Inarguably, yes.

So according to you if Disney practiced something in the past then 'inarguably' it should be accepted and practiced today. Got it.

Do you know how wack jack that line of thinking is? .....better to sit back, breathe in some logic and fairness and rethink your absurd position.

Last edited:

FettFan

Actually, I would like to disagree with you there: Arendelle is a real place. Or at least, it's named after a real place: https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/southern-norway/arendal/about/.

And furthermore...

"Per Disney, Arendelle gets its name from Arendal, a 16th-century shipping town about a three-hour drive southwest of Oslo"
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trav...outhern-fjords-180956427/#btdCgAs5lKEvxDhT.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

But in the movie the characters are still not Norwegian any more than the Andals in ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ are the Angles of actual history.

Rupert901

So all whining about IP is disingenuous: What's wrong with just saying that you aren't happy about something? Why try to distort that into something someone else is doing wrong? Of course, the answer is to make a personal disappointment sound more important than it actually is.
Why do you care so much that some people on the internet dislike New Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAGICFLOP

I realize that everyone is going to have an opinion on what Disney has done/is doing/is going to do with the theme parks. I also realize that forums such as this one are where those opinions are going to be displayed and discussed. What I don't understand is the level of hatred, bitterness and vitriol that is often associated with the opinions. It seems to be a fairly rare occurrence where a discussion about any subject on here does not devolve into statements based purely on emotion and devoid of any fact and logic. Most of us on here are passionate about Disney & Disney theme parks, but if the new plans for Epcot, for example, make you angrier than the constant corruption, injustice and tragedy in our society, then your priorities are completely misplaced. Most people are dealing with multiple areas of their life that cause undue stress, anxiety, etc-why would you allow anything surrounding any leisure/entertainment activity to add to that?
Problem is, that some (I mean some) people in here are fans and some are fanatical, to the fanatical saying anything negative about Disney is the same as saying their 3yo looks like Yoda. Others, like myself are people that like Disney, but are able to see it for what its worth. I see Disney going the wrong way and to me its not the end of the world. If they wanted to knock out the speedway in MK and build Star Wars land, so be it, to me its just another poor decision and destroying the land themes of Disney.
I think the hate comes in when they see themselves as the know alls of Disney and someone dares to challenge/contradict there statement..

I have been to Disney parks hundreds of days in my life AP holder for about 15 years, you would think that I would qualify as a know all, but I know less about whats in the parks than anyone in here and know nothing about AK (spent a total of 8hrs there). I saw a few Pooh shows on TV as a kid, never saw a Disney cartoon, the only Disney movies I saw was Poppins (didnt like), Herbie and apple dumpling and maybe another.

With all said, I can see clearly the Good, Bad and Ugly of Disney... and some get angry if they are faced with it... but no honest conversation can avoid it..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom