"The Problem With Disney Fans"

mharrington

Original Poster
There is definitely some truth to this video from Offhand Disney, and I have to agree with it to a degree:

I agree that we sometimes forget that IPs have existed for almost as long as the Disney parks themselves have existed, for starters. However, I really have nothing to say about Star Wars, mainly because I'm nowhere near as emotionally invested in it.

But anyway, I think this video has some truth to it.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I'm fine with the changes coming to EPCOT.. it's what's happening in California, that I find repulsive.

I don't quite understand why some people feel the need to defend IP integration? Is this what we really want taking over every Disney park? The last non-IP attraction was Expedition Everest in 2006. Think about that for a sec.

I don't have a problem with IP integration here and there: But when it's a cheap re-skin, not necessary, non-imaginative, and the only focus.. that has me concerned.

The_Jobu

There is definitely some truth to this video from Offhand Disney, and I have to agree with it to a degree:

I agree that we sometimes forget that IPs have existed for almost as long as the Disney parks themselves have existed, for starters. However, I really have nothing to say about Star Wars, mainly because I'm nowhere near as emotionally invested in it.

But anyway, I think this video has some truth to it.

I prefer the answer: they’re willing to pay anything.

mharrington

Original Poster
I'm fine with the changes coming to EPCOT.. it's what's happening in California, that I find repulsive.

I don't quite understand why some people feel the need to defend IP integration? Is this what we really want taking over every Disney park? The last non-IP attraction was Expedition Everest in 2006. Think about that for a sec.

I don't have a problem with IP integration here and there: But when it's a cheap re-skin, not necessary, non-imaginative, and the only focus.. that has me concerned.

People forget that IPs have actually been around since the beginning of Disneyland. Davy Crockett was an IP and so are all those Disney movies, many of them based off of old stories.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
People forget that IPs have actually been around since the beginning of Disneyland. Davy Crockett was an IP and so are all those Disney movies, many of them based off of old stories.

Sure.. but there's a disconnect between Disney parks, and Marvel (or modern superheroes, for that matter), Star Wars, etc IMO. And the ones that aren't a disconnect, well, we've been provided with trash like Pixar Pier.

mharrington

Original Poster
Sure.. but there's a disconnect between Disney parks, and Marvel (or modern superheroes, for that matter), Star Wars, etc IMO. And the ones that aren't a disconnect, well, we've been provided with trash like Pixar Pier.

How is there a disconnect from Star Wars, Marvel, etc., but not from old stories or Davy Crockett?

I like this video because it argues that it's not fair to blame Disney for everything; fans also deserve a bit of the blame, too.

And really, there's too much negativity here, which the video calls out.

BoarderPhreak

festivus-619-386.png

The_Jobu

How is there a disconnect from Star Wars, Marvel, etc., but not from old stories or Davy Crockett?

I like this video because it argues that it's not fair to blame Disney for everything; fans also deserve a bit of the blame, too.

And really, there's too much negativity here, which the video calls out.

The old stories were used for inspiration and adapted into new attractions. Which is different that slapping IP overlays onto old attractions or pushing IPs that they own for more "synergy".

There's not enough negativity, if there was, they'd change their style, but they still pull in all the dollars and will never change.

mharrington

Original Poster
The old stories were used for inspiration and adapted into new attractions. Which is different that slapping IP overlays onto old attractions or pushing IPs that they own for more "synergy".

There's not enough negativity, if there was, they'd change their style, but they still pull in all the dollars and will never change.

I personally think there is too much negatively. Frankly, I take Offhand Disney's side here, because I think as much as Disney is not perfect, neither are the fans.

And what does "he has been bought" even mean?

The_Jobu

I personally think there is too much negatively. Frankly, I take Offhand Disney's side here, because I think as much as Disney is not perfect, neither are the fans.

I agree no one's perfect. But the discussion here is much more balanced than many Disney boards that actively chase out negative opinions. But seeing as how the youtuber is in Disney's graces, I'm not surprised with his arguments that the fans are being too hard.

DoleWhipDrea

And what does "he has been bought" even mean?

It means he’s being paid by Disney to talk about Disney, so he’s not going to be overly critical of the company. I like him, but I don’t believe he’s going to be totally subjective in his expressed opinions.

bUU

I agree that we sometimes forget that IPs have existed for almost as long as the Disney parks themselves have existed, for starters.
IP existed since the very beginning. Mickey and Donald were on hand at Disneyland Park for Opening Day, July 17, 1955. I think people forget that that's IP, just like some forget that the ice cream parlor on Main Street was branded "Carnation", a corporate sponsorship.

However, I really have nothing to say about Star Wars, mainly because I'm nowhere near as emotionally invested in it.
And that's a critical aspect: We each individually may only be "emotionally invested" in a small portion of what Disney offers. Given that we will all differ with regard to which small portions resonate with us, expecting them to custom-craft the theme parks to our own personal affinities is irrational.

Sure.. but there's a disconnect between Disney parks, and Marvel (or modern superheroes, for that matter), Star Wars, etc IMO.
If there is a disconnect then it is your own personal creation. It isn't real beyond the scope of you and those who agree with you. It's perfect reasonable to decide what you like/care about and what you don't, and to hope Disney offers what pleases you. What isn't reasonable is to expect Disney to reflect your own personal preferences and nothing but.

I don't quite understand why some people feel the need to defend IP integration?
By contrast, I do understand why some people feel the need to attack IP integration. See above.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Too much negativity? Just what are we being too negative about?

IP injections where they don't make sense?
Price increases on hotels, park admission, upcharges?
Declining show quality and cuts to live entertainment?
Crowded parks with long, slow lines on both the stand-by and FP sides?
Rising food prices with lowered food quality?

HongKongFu

Hey mharrington,

Serious question:
What does the fact that Disney was using IP early on have to do with anything?

Is that your feeble justification for dropping Frozen in Norway? Guardian in Epcot.

So your argument is since it has been done yesterday it should be accepted and practiced today. That is pure folly.

Last edited:

seggerman

if IP works it dosn't matter where the initial idea comes from - look at FoP's continuing popularity - or Toy Story Land, for that matter. Star Wars in contrast, in spite of its huge fan base seems to have missed the mark - but this is speculation because I haven't been to Disney in 18 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom