The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

Goofyernmost

Both are very well known American idiomatic expressions such as "Busy as a one-armed paper hanger". Both have deeper meanings that are revealed by folklore stories . Hence they are immortalized in the American English language. Not to mention that a number of U.S. politicians have regretted using the term "tar baby" because some people have interpreted that expression to be a derogatory racist utterance.

In Splash Mountain, Disney didn't want to deal with the possibility of any tar baby racist overtones so they substituted a bee hive to avoid any pejorative interpretations.
I do see your point, but, I still wouldn't put it in the category of Immortalized. This is especially true with kids. When I saw the movie originally years and years ago as a young child. Tar Baby was completely literal, because that was the way it was depicted from what I could see. It was made out of tar and made to look like a baby. Black and White meant nothing to me at that stage and I never reinterpreted it even as an adult. I had no reason to do so. It was still literal to me. I can appreciate that others put a more symbolic meaning on it. I just don't think that it was wide spread until someone decided to make an issue out of it by defining it as derogatory.

I guess I'm to literal for my own good or maybe I was brought up to not really recognize color in relation to people. Whatever, the case I don't think I was the only one.

Skippy

I can appreciate that others put a more symbolic meaning on it. I just don't think that it was wide spread until someone decided to make an issue out of it by defining it as derogatory.

I guess I'm to literal for my own good or maybe I was brought up to not really recognize color in relation to people. Whatever, the case I don't think I was the only one.
I think the issue is when people watch it today, they view it through the lens of what they believe the country was like in 1946. They need to in order to contextualize some of the questionable portrayals of african americans in the film. Unfortunately, that knowledge of the past is limited to each individual, and I think the immediate reaction upon seeing the tar baby is that perhaps it was not as innocent as it, in fact, was. (Personally, it seemed odd but not malicious, but I definitely was compelled to do additional research because I was not certain in the least).

Cesar R M

Has a sequel been announced? I don't know if I'm in the minority but I hope not. I was disappointed by the film.. Tried to hard to get an emotional reaction and was too predictable villain-wise. (imho) Not saying it was bad. Just mediocre.

And a good decision, that. Without historical knowledge of where the term/story comes from, the first thought most people will have is if it is or once was racially insensitive, even though it was not.

Odd film, Song of the South. Just watched it again earlier this week.
I didnt find it that predictable.
The style is pretty similar built as Wreck it ralph (structure wise).
Perhaps thats how you feel like it was "predictable" ?

As for racially insensitive? how so? that almost all the chars were asian looking and some were stereotyped? (like Wasabi, being an expert swordsman and sushi maker )

Matt_Black

Regarding the original comic, it might be considered racially insensitive. However, since Chris Claremont worked on it, it's quite possible that he was trying to do what he & John Byrne did with Alpha Flight, satirizing Americans view of stereotypes.

Brer Panther

On the subject of Song of the South, considering the number of old Brer Rabbit folk tales, I think a cartoon about him could be pretty cool.

Skippy

I didnt find it that predictable.
The style is pretty similar built as Wreck it ralph (structure wise).
Perhaps thats how you feel like it was "predictable" ?
I saw the 'big surprise' of who the villain was a mile away.. but maybe that is me being too critical of a kid's/family movie. What's not me being too critical is their overplay of every emotional card they had in their deck. When the movie is trying too hard to match Up's opening act, it gets to the point where I roll my eyes instead of connecting with the character.
As for racially insensitive? how so? that almost all the chars were asian looking and some were stereotyped? (like Wasabi, being an expert swordsman and sushi maker )
I was talking about Song of the South, not BH6 there ;).

On the subject of Song of the South, considering the number of old Brer Rabbit folk tales, I think a cartoon about him could be pretty cool.
Honestly, the cartoons are the the most timeless part of Song of the South. And apart from the Tar Baby scene (not really racist, but perceived as such as discussed earlier) the animated sequences could definitely be released today. The only question is why would they? What can they gain by doing that that would offset drawing attention to a film them want everyone to forget about?

(Watching videos today, fun fact of the day for the younger folk. Brer Rabbit and the gang did not make their WDW debut at Splash Mountain, They appeared as animatronics starting a rousing 'Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" in Mickey Mouse Revue.)

Phil12

The fundamental problem is that Brer Rabbit is a trickster and a con man. He is amoral. But here's a modern cartoon version on DVD:
615Q17FWFXL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Brer-Rabbit-Wanda-Sykes/dp/B000E6V07W

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I saw the 'big surprise' of who the villain was a mile away.. but maybe that is me being too critical of a kid's/family movie. What's not me being too critical is their overplay of every emotional card they had in their deck. When the movie is trying too hard to match Up's opening act, it gets to the point where I roll my eyes instead of connecting with the character.
Maybe for you.. most were expecting the bad guy to be the "owner" of the company that wanted Hiro's invention.
And I'm not talking 1-2 persons. I'm talking about 90% of the fandom in social sites.

I was talking about Song of the South, not BH6 there ;).

Honestly, the cartoons are the the most timeless part of Song of the South. And apart from the Tar Baby scene (not really racist, but perceived as such as discussed earlier) the animated sequences could definitely be released today. The only question is why would they? What can they gain by doing that that would offset drawing attention to a film them want everyone to forget about?

(Watching videos today, fun fact of the day for the younger folk. Brer Rabbit and the gang did not make their WDW debut at Splash Mountain, They appeared as animatronics starting a rousing 'Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" in Mickey Mouse Revue.)
hu.. ok

Matt_Black

Maybe for you.. most were expecting the bad guy to be the "owner" of the company that wanted Hiro's invention.
And I'm not talking 1-2 persons. I'm talking about 90% of the fandom in social sites.

I think Skippy is referring to Frozen. And even then, many didn't see it coming. Their were notable gasps during the reveal in the theater I saw it in.

Magenta Panther

Ah-ha! So you agree that a Disney-adapted Marvel property can in fact have "magic"!

By the time Disney got through adapting Big Hero 6, it wasn't really Marvel's anymore. (Was the Marvel logo in the opening credits? All I remember is seeing the Disney castle and Mickey Mouse). So yeah, if Disney adapts an obscure, never-fully-exploited bit of Marvel lore, and, by the time it hits the big screen, there's hardly any Marvel in it, then, yeah, I can get behind that. :D

Magenta Panther

Matt_Black

By the time Disney got through adapting Big Hero 6, it wasn't really Marvel's anymore. (Was the Marvel logo in the opening credits? All I remember is seeing the Disney castle and Mickey Mouse). So yeah, if Disney adapts an obscure, never-fully-exploited bit of Marvel lore, and, by the time it hits the big screen, there's hardly any Marvel in it, then, yeah, I can get behind that. :D

The names are all the same. The power concepts are roughly the same. And, most importantly, Stan Lee is in the film. He's about as Marvel as it gets. EXCELSIOR!

Cesar R M

I think Skippy is referring to Frozen. And even then, many didn't see it coming. Their were notable gasps during the reveal in the theater I saw it in.
We were talking about BH6 from the start.. no idea why he would mention frozen..

And Hans was honestly the least expected villain. At least on everyone who I've talked with (including online sites)
they were expecting the brother soldiers of the dude with the toupee.

Mr. Peabody

The names are all the same. The power concepts are roughly the same. And, most importantly, Stan Lee is in the film. He's about as Marvel as it gets. EXCELSIOR!
Marvel Baymax:
Baymax_%28Marvel_Comics%29.jpg

Disney Baymax:
BaymaxgivesHiroahug.png

Honestly, you're only proving his point. The story was inspired by a Marvel comic, but the animated Big Hero 6 is unmistakably Disney. This is exactly what @Magenta Panther is referring to.

Matt_Black

Whatever. I just want the success of this to inspire a Squirrel Girl animated film. Because that's the film we both need and deserve!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom