The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

AEfx

Wouldn't it be mind blowing for most ppl if TWDC allowed Uni to use MCU materials at MSHI and a refresh of the land was embraced by Marvel / Dis.

I think that is far more likely that Marvel becomes more involved in MSHI than TWDC buying back the rights.

I just can't see that - they aren't going to invest even more to pimp the competition's product.

I honestly don't think that Universal is all that heck bent on keeping Marvel. They've been content with it for awhile, but eventually - I think that's a very large plot of land that could be very easily re-purposed for something else they have the rights to that isn't nearly as complicated.

I mean, when you think about it - they could re-theme MSHI practically overnight. Besides Spidey itself, the other attractions and features are all flat facades and signage that makes it "Marvel", which are easily replaceable. Close up Spidey and re-theme it, and they are all set.

Ten years ago, getting rid of MSHI would have been unthinkable - it would have been like losing a major organ. At this point, post-Potter (and Simpsons, and Transformers, etc.) it's more like a gall bladder. It doesn't hurt to have, but it really isn't a great loss to lose.

Given how forward thinking, and moving, Universal has been - I have no doubt that plans have already been drawn up for that eventuality, when they have something else they want to put there.

Last edited:

AEfx

I believe the contract between Marvel and Universal was very specific as to what IP was covered.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Daredevil, and a few others are free I believe.

Actually, from my limited understanding (and so not trying to start a "what the contract says" war LOL), it's that the contract between them wasn't specific enough in really naming all the lesser properties, so they don't even really know themselves. There was the thought among some insiders that the Guardians thing they did (I can't even remember - meet and greet?) was specifically done during a hard-ticket event and was kind of poking their toe out to see what would happen. Kind of like the Avengers monorail wrap (which Universal did indeed complain about as it entered Epcot technically).

Again, from my limited attention on the topic, I gathered the the Guardians were not specifically named, as they were a comic obscurity at the time, and it depends on how one interprets what character "family" they are a part of (which is the uncertainty as they have been peripheral to several).

I've seen arguments on both sides, and I don't think anyone truly knows for certain - even the parties involved. Like many contracts, there are definitely places for interpretation.

FigmentJedi

I just can't see that - they aren't going to invest even more to pimp the competition's product.

I honestly don't think that Universal is all that heck bent on keeping Marvel. They've been content with it for awhile, but eventually - I think that's a very large plot of land that could be very easily re-purposed for something else they have the rights to that isn't nearly as complicated.

I mean, when you think about it - they could re-theme MSHI practically overnight. Besides Spidey itself, the other attractions and features are all flat facades and signage that makes it "Marvel", which are easily replaceable. Close up Spidey and re-theme it, and they are all set.

Makes me wish they had decided to save Kong for that purpose instead of eating Jurassic Park's remaining unused expansion pad. Could do a whole "Monster Island" featuring Kong, Pacific Rim and Godzilla.

lazyboy97o

Ten years ago, getting rid of MSHI would have been unthinkable - it would have been like losing a major organ. At this point, post-Potter (and Simpsons, and Transformers, etc.) it's more like a gall bladder. It doesn't hurt to have, but it really isn't a great loss to lose.

Given how forward thinking, and moving, Universal has been - I have no doubt that plans have already been drawn up for that eventuality, when they have something else they want to put there.
The big thing Marvel Suler Hero Island has going for it is the licensing fees as they are likely very, very,very low and, baring serious economic turbulence, quite predictable.

AEfx

The big thing Marvel Suler Hero Island has going for it is the licensing fees as they are likely very, very,very low and, baring serious economic turbulence, quite predictable.

That could very well be true, but let's not forget the properties they have access to which don't have any licensing costs, at all.

As much as I love Spidey, and would hate to see it go, at this point I don't think it's any where near the specific draw that, say, Potter is - or that a whole lot of folks would care if the Hulk coaster was repainted and themed another way. The other two rides are just skinned carnies.

I don't think they have been itching to get rid of it, but I really don't think they have a great love for it, either, and when they feel they have something to use up that space, it does seem like a prime plot.

AEfx

Makes me wish they had decided to save Kong for that purpose instead of eating Jurassic Park's remaining unused expansion pad. Could do a whole "Monster Island" featuring Kong, Pacific Rim and Godzilla.

Now that would be cool.

I don't follow Universal construction and development much (it's too much to keep up with!) - so does that mean there won't be any Jurassic expansion? I know it was rumored to be a few projects down the line. I too have really wanted another good Jurassic ride - though the existing one could use a complete make-over, as well.

FigmentJedi

Now that would be cool.

I don't follow Universal construction and development much (it's too much to keep up with!) - so does that mean there won't be any Jurassic expansion? I know it was rumored to be a few projects down the line. I too have really wanted another good Jurassic ride - though the existing one could use a complete make-over, as well.
Jurassic Park is pretty much boxed in. Forbidden Journey took up the other expansion plot which was conceived as a place for a Jeep ride in early plans. Would have to use Camp Jurassic or the old Triceratops trail for new attractions.

AEfx

Jurassic Park is pretty much boxed in. Forbidden Journey took up the other expansion plot which was conceived as a place for a Jeep ride in early plans. Would have to use Camp Jurassic or the old Triceratops trail for new attractions.

That's too bad - though I would be fine if they used those plots, too - if they built a really kick-butt ride. Wait a minute, what am I saying - duh, this is Universal, of course it would have some quality to it. Always loved the jeep concept, hope to see it on this continent someday.

lazyboy97o

That could very well be true, but let's not forget the properties they have access to which don't have any licensing costs, at all.

As much as I love Spidey, and would hate to see it go, at this point I don't think it's any where near the specific draw that, say, Potter is - or that a whole lot of folks would care if the Hulk coaster was repainted and themed another way. The other two rides are just skinned carnies.

I don't think they have been itching to get rid of it, but I really don't think they have a great love for it, either, and when they feel they have something to use up that space, it does seem like a prime plot.
Yes, but there are also a lot of licensed properties in use that all probably have fees higher than what desperate Marvel was willing to take. Toon Lagoon is a mess of different properties cobbled together and similarly utilizes a lot of stylized flats.

AEfx

Yes, but there are also a lot of licensed properties in use that all probably have fees higher than what desperate Marvel was willing to take. Toon Lagoon is a mess of different properties cobbled together and similarly utilizes a lot of stylized flats.

Sure - I could also see that area on the chopping block as well if they decided they needed some space. Between the two lands, that's some prime grade-A real estate there.

When it comes to licensing, I do keep in mind it's all relative - if they had something truly blockbuster (like Potter part 3) the gains would be worth it.

In any case, as Universal continues it's rapid expansion, it will be interesting to see what the landscape ends up looking like in say 5 or 10 years.

FigmentJedi

It's actually less random then you might think. There's only two big IP families there: The Kings Features Syndicate library that consists of Popeye and the entire Main Street and the Jay Ward studios stuff.

Universal was really reaching when they couldn't secure the Looney Tunes rights.

rricks26

I don't know if anyone has posted about this yet, but there is avengers merch in studios at youse guys on the streets of america. How did this happen? I thought they couldn't have any avengers products in the parks themselves only dtd.

Magenta Panther

It's a good thing you didn't mention the Muppets, or he'd be all like this...

inside_out_03_anger_by_miacat7-d8a4fkj.jpg

Happily, Disneyland is now free of that felt-and-foam-rubber plague, and ironically, I have this lady to thank:

images

As for WDW, it's likely just a matter of time...

Magenta Panther

You do realize that not everyone can take a vacation and spend an extra 100+ dollars per person plus hotel rooms and time off work/school so they can ride a couple of Disney rides in Universal. Also, I wouldn't mind if they had the same themes, I could go to Uni less that way.

You do realize that most people go to Disney parks to see Disney-created/adapted stuff, right? Otherwise, why would WDW be the most popular park in the world, when there's Universal, with its hodge-podge of IPs including SUPERHEROES!!!! right down the street?

Again, if you gotta get your fix of adolescent power fantasies while in Florida, go to Universal. It's that simple.

Tony Perkis

You do realize that most people go to Disney parks to see Disney-created/adapted stuff, right? Otherwise, why would WDW be the most popular park in the world, when there's Universal, with its hodge-podge of IPs including SUPERHEROES!!!! right down the street?

Again, if you gotta get your fix of adolescent power fantasies while in Florida, go to Universal. It's that simple.
This is a maddening and very incorrect assumption I keep seeing people make.

bhg469

Wdw's bread and butter attractions, and the ones that were most popular for years have been completely unrelated to Disney IPs. I know I'm the minority but I loved the parks over any Disney movies for years. I really don't like many disney movies at all and I truly admired wdw as an engineering marvel.

As far as the hodge podge of IPs up the road... The hodge podge entertained the heck out of me a few months ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom