The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

Mammymouse

What about just Disney Studios? I still have a huge soft spot in my heart for the man who started it all and his brother who helped to make it a reality. I don't think that "Hollywood" in the name is that relevant anymore. Heck the bygone age of Hollywood could still be incorporated, but honestly what famous movies in the last 20 years were made there? It's only significance is to me would be that of nostalgia.

Mawg

as of recently. i think going down a Stars Wars path is definitely reaching out, it's using a brand that had nothing to do with Disney and Disney's brand to promote their parks. it's an unfit piece that they are just shoving in. it ruins the magic imo. same with Avatar.

I think the original Disney brand does not appeal to boys enough specially in the 8-18 range. Lucas films gives them Indiana and StarWars to work with. The park down the street seems to do a better job with this demographic. Boy's tend to out grow Disney much faster than Girls. Pixar is good and universally liked by both genders but let's face it nothing attracts more boys than super hero's (marvel) and Sci-Fi Action. If you want the ultimate in Fun for the whole family you have to expand to include more of this.

lazyboy97o

What about just Disney Studios? I still have a huge soft spot in my heart for the man who started it all and his brother who helped to make it a reality. I don't think that "Hollywood" in the name is that relevant anymore. Heck the bygone age of Hollywood could still be incorporated, but honestly what famous movies in the last 20 years were made there? It's only significance is to me would be that of nostalgia.
Because Walt Disney Studios Park already exists?

Mike S

The more I see it the more I like the idea of Disney's Hollywoodland. It captures the theme of a Hollywood that never was and always will be and also ditches the "Studios" name without tacking something else on the end like "Adventure". I think it's perfect.

Capsin4

They own Star Wars hardly reaching out ...
I don't get people being upset with them going when the vast majority of Disney movies have been lifted from books and fairytales. I get that their stylized characters are their own and stand out from other versions.
The only one who is reaching is yourself.

I've never gotten the issue people have with using outside or acquired IP. It's not like Disney's never used material that wasn't completely original. They may have cornered the best "looks" for their characters, but the majority of disney animation movies are from or inspired by books/fairy tales/legends.

Heck, Iger supposedly got the idea to buy Pixar when he was watching a parade in 2005 and realized none of the characters created in the previous 10 years had been created by Disney.

DrewmanS

Why does everyone assume the name change would focus on dropping "Studios" instead of "Hollywood"? To me, adding Hollywood to the name was the most confusing and does not fit. It's not in Hollywood and most of the IP in the park was not made in Hollywood.

The term "studios" does not have to refer to an active studio but to the celebration of making all types of media: Live action film, animation, television, music, even video games.

The park can focus on certain movie franchises (Star Wars and Pixar), several eras (Old Hollywood, Classic Rock, Golden TV), and revolving shows to promote current IP (like Pirates and Frozen)

The name has to be carefully chosen to avoid any specific IP. Disney-Lucus-Pixar Studio does not work because they could always sell off one of those divisions. It also limits the park name to movies.

The word "Adventure" would only cause move confusion with a park down the street. Adding Florida to the name does not make sense since the park is not themed to FLA.

So, if they don't want to go with simply "Disney Studios" to avoid confusion with actual studios in Cali, then my humble suggestions:
Disney Studios Experience
Disney Studio Land (might be to close to Disneyland)
Disney Exploration Studios
Disney Studios Park

flyerjab

I listened to the Jim Hill podcast and several things did stick out to me that were interesting. The one general comment he made that didn't resonate with Len Testa at the time was when he said that when this project gets underway there will be construction walls literally everywhere you turn (sounds eerily similar to Disney Springs). The cost of this redo, if true, should hopefully be hefty. Maybe this is one of those times when we can get on our knees and thank UNI for doing what they are doing - i.e., imagineers going to DA, coming back to WDW and saying, "we need more money!"

I am excited as more individuals seem to be talking about this phenomenon that is going to happen to DHS. Can't let Jim Hill have all of the fun. I'll take this as more of real thing now that Spirit has served up this latest dish (with some @Ranch Dressing on the side ;)).

SirLink

Most WDW guests probably wouldn't even know what the second park in Paris is called, that's if they even know that there is a second park there. Most of TDO probably don't even know what the Paris Studio park is called.

But TDO wouldn't be resposnible for the name that would come straight from Burbank. Also if I'm on the BoD and I'm about to pump $800million+ into a park in the swamps I would want to make the name unique as possible so the park with Star Wars doesn't get confused with Universal Studios/Islands of Advanture ... hence why Disney's Hollywoodland is really the only choice and you don't even need to redo Eisners dedication plaque.

Otamin

Why do I have a feeling Jim Hill will be right about TGMR closing (or being ruined)?

I'm not one to trust his opinion, but if the park is changing focus I could see it happening.

lazyboy97o

The "Hollywoodland" sign that existed years ago was there to promote housing development in the suburbs nearby. It had nothing to do with the entertainment business or fame. So calling DHS "Disney's Hollywoodland" literally sounds like "Disney's Suburban Housing Development".
It'd be a new inverse Disney detail since the actual suburban housing development is named for an entertainment production facility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom