The One Sentence Competition Retrospectives: Seasons 1-8

"CHALLENGE 1: Propose a theme for a 5th gate for WDW"
This would work better for a new theme park complex elsewhere in the country I think, but I've thought a Rivers of Disney (Rio Disney - if it were in Brazil, where I initially conceived it being placed) would be great. Lands themed around the different major rivers of the world: Mississippi, Rhine or Danube, Yangtze, Nile, Amazon, etc. Lots of opportunities for new attractions taking place in the various regions represented, plus if this were built somewhere new, some other rides could be imported from previously existing locations.

Miru

For this prompt, Iโ€™d go with a music themed park, as Cosmic Rewind largely failed to address such an important part of Disneyโ€™s film, television, and even gaming catalog since the beginning, not to mention the many, many standalone songs published under the companyโ€™s Disney Music Group, which includes the likes of Queen of all people (though how much these count as โ€œDisney songsโ€ is extremely nebulous), which opens up room for a lot of third-party/โ€œguestโ€ attractions on top of various IP like A Goofy Movie, the Disney Channel tween star empire, Guardians of the Galaxy, the various Princesses, the Muppets, and many, many more.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
In the place of Rafikiโ€™s Planet Watch is South America, where guests can go on an Amazon River Expedition, take a ride along the Aracuan Railways as Donald, Josรฉ, and Panchito run afoul of the eccentric Aracuan Bird, zip through the canopy of the Amazon Rainforest, and encounter many of the species that inhabit it. Like Planet Watch before it, this land is only accessible via the Wildlife Express.
A day late (I think the forum delayed your post going live, it happens sometimes especially with newer members for ), but I really like this! I would love to see something like Aracuan Railways in the real life South America land that DAK is making

Iโ€™ve tossed around music before, but how about a park themed to literature? (like rides themed to IPs that are based on novels, stories, fairytales, comics, manga, history, utopian stories, etc)
Literature is such a great theme. Islands of adventure wasn't actually based on this theme (I actually made a video about that myth a while back), but the idea of it as a sort of retrofitted theme from the early days was always fascinating. It serves as a good real life proof of concept of how strong the idea is and I'd love to see Disney go all in on it.

This is not practical and would never fly; just wishful thinking. Fifth gate:

โ€œWhat ifโ€ฆโ€

And that could be interpreted in several ways, from โ€œWhat if we still had Mr. Toadโ€™s Wild Rideโ€ (and put that attraction there) to a more anything goes approach - such as casting without regard to race or gender.

Elements of Beastly Kingdom would fit into โ€œWhat ifโ€ฆโ€

Alternate versions of attractions that were scrapped would fit (such as a walk through version of Haunted Mansion.)

Villains could feature prominently. (What if Peter Pan lost to Captain Hook? Welcome to โ€œPeter Panโ€™s Last Flight.โ€)

A meet & greet with Deadpool in an Ironman style suit would fit.

A year round Christmas attraction or overlay would fit.
Sure that isn't realistic, but that's something I love about this forum. Getting to do big, crazy, bold ideas! I used to be very concerned with all of my ideas being as realistic as possible, but over the years I've learned that being uniquely "me" was way more important that being realistic. Your best work is always going to come from being passionate about what you are doing and by showcasing that little spark that makes you unique. There's a balance obviously and going full blue sky might not be the best idea, but I love these kinds of crazy ideas

DisneySpires (other potential name: Mythica), Walt Disney Worldโ€™s fifth gate, is primarily themed around portals to the worlds, myths, and folklore of centuries past: the (19th century) British Isles, the Mediterranean, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Medieval China, Ancient Peru, Atlantis, and (Gilded Age) New England. Each portal (land) around the parkโ€™s central lagoon has a โ€œGreat Spireโ€, or lighthouse, which shines some light during the parkโ€™s nighttime spectacular.
You can never go wrong with myths and legends for a theme park! It's an idea that pops up a lot on these forums, but it pops up so frequently because it's such a good idea and it is an idea that can be so easily taken in so many new and creative directions!
Kind of a cliched choice, but a "Disney's Florida Adventure" park comes to mind - lands can be based on the Everglades, a seaside boardwalk a la Daytona, an orange farm, what have you.
Gotta have a Pirate ride hunting for the lost treasure of Gasparilla!

This would work better for a new theme park complex elsewhere in the country I think, but I've thought a Rivers of Disney (Rio Disney - if it were in Brazil, where I initially conceived it being placed) would be great. Lands themed around the different major rivers of the world: Mississippi, Rhine or Danube, Yangtze, Nile, Amazon, etc. Lots of opportunities for new attractions taking place in the various regions represented, plus if this were built somewhere new, some other rides could be imported from previously existing locations.
Rivers is such an interesting and unique thematic/visual tie for a theme park. I really love that idea! Plus you can never have enough water features in a park lol

This is not specifically a myth park but I was thinking maybe like an urban legend park. With like a Flying Dutchman boat ride or a suspended dark ride with the moth man of West Virginia.
Urban Legends is a really cool idea for a park and a neat twist on the common myth idea. Potentially a bit limiting for a whole park, but if it was pulled off right it could be something truly special

For this prompt, Iโ€™d go with a music themed park, as Cosmic Rewind largely failed to address such an important part of Disneyโ€™s film, television, and even gaming catalog since the beginning, not to mention the many, many standalone songs published under the companyโ€™s Disney Music Group, which includes the likes of Queen of all people (though how much these count as โ€œDisney songsโ€ is extremely nebulous), which opens up room for a lot of third-party/โ€œguestโ€ attractions on top of various IP like A Goofy Movie, the Disney Channel tween star empire, Guardians of the Galaxy, the various Princesses, the Muppets, and many, many more.
I've always wanted a submarine ride like Nemo/20,000 Leagues themed to the Yellow Submarine by the Beatles in a big music park, but I've never done anything else with the concept because that's roughly as far as my idea for it went lol

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 3, Episode 3 - Channel Chasers

Hosted by: @spacemt354 (Based on the concepts of @CraniumCommand89)
Started on: June 29th, 2017
Won by: @D Hulk

Season 3, Episode 3 continues the trend of big bold ideas and creative themes!

This episode had a bit of a rocky start. @CraniumCommand89 had planned to host, had a theme ready, and even had half of the prompts written. But personal issues/obligations caused Cranium to step back a bit from the forum. They asked @spacemt354 to fill in and he took over the season using the plans Cranium had. Space, being both an all around cool dude as well as one of the most supportive people on the forum, agreed and hosted the season. Even beyond the plans Cranium had in place to give the forum a very fun and satisfying game. Of course, some @spacemt354 specialties were brought over like the Dundies Awards to give it a personal touch.

The theme was television! Each round was based around a different TV channel with a prompt related to said channel. This lead to it being a great compliment to The Great Movie Ride competition by @Disney Dad 3000 which this Episode ran alongside. TV and movies, a perfect fit! And the tradition of 1SC either being directly or indirectly tied to an ongoing larger scale game is always a fun one.

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture, and a 1 sentence bonus.

The bonuses were now simply trivia or discussion questions. Not graded, no points. Just a simple added extra to the thread. Nice and simple. Much like this whole Episode. There was a solid theme, but everything was kept very simple. A classic feeling episode.

It did add something new that became an occasional tradition going forward. The grand finale. A final round with multiple prompts! This time up to 6 different prompts! There was a list of 6 attraction types and a separate list of 6 parks and you could mix and match how you'd like. An intriguing concept that gave people a ton of freedom to work with nearly any concept they'd like! Many of the Episodes since then have featured a final round with either multiple prompts, bigger prompts, or multiple bonuses to help it stand out and feel extra epic.

This Episode did a great job of finding the balance between simplicity and boundary pushing. And did a fantastic job working as a compliment to a longer game. Two things I intend to emulate heading into the future (though with a simpler theme).

Check out the 3rd Episode of the 3rd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 3, Episode 3!

"CHALLENGE 10: History Channel - Bring back a Defunct Disney ride into a different park than it was originally in."

WaltWiz1901

"CHALLENGE 10: History Channel - Bring back a Defunct Disney ride into a different park than it was originally in."
Walt Disney Worldโ€™s version of Snow Whiteโ€™s Scary Adventures, originally located in the Magic Kingdom, returns to the resort in Disneyโ€™s Hollywood Studios, residing in the replica of the Carthay Circle Theater on Sunset Boulevard (an homage to the gala premiere of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs being held at the real Carthay Circle). Enhanced with the same upgraded effects as Disneylandโ€™s renovation of their incarnation of the ride, now known as Snow Whiteโ€™s Enchanted Wish, this classic dark ride is back to please - or spook - old and new generations of guests.

Tony the Tigger

1SC Retrospective
Season 3, Episode 3 - Channel Chasers

Hosted by: @spacemt354 (Based on the concepts of @CraniumCommand89)
Started on: June 29th, 2017
Won by: @D Hulk

Season 3, Episode 3 continues the trend of big bold ideas and creative themes!

This episode had a bit of a rocky start. @CraniumCommand89 had planned to host, had a theme ready, and even had half of the prompts written. But personal issues/obligations caused Cranium to step back a bit from the forum. They asked @spacemt354 to fill in and he took over the season using the plans Cranium had. Space, being both an all around cool dude as well as one of the most supportive people on the forum, agreed and hosted the season. Even beyond the plans Cranium had in place to give the forum a very fun and satisfying game. Of course, some @spacemt354 specialties were brought over like the Dundies Awards to give it a personal touch.

The theme was television! Each round was based around a different TV channel with a prompt related to said channel. This lead to it being a great compliment to The Great Movie Ride competition by @Disney Dad 3000 which this Episode ran alongside. TV and movies, a perfect fit! And the tradition of 1SC either being directly or indirectly tied to an ongoing larger scale game is always a fun one.

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture, and a 1 sentence bonus.

The bonuses were now simply trivia or discussion questions. Not graded, no points. Just a simple added extra to the thread. Nice and simple. Much like this whole Episode. There was a solid theme, but everything was kept very simple. A classic feeling episode.

It did add something new that became an occasional tradition going forward. The grand finale. A final round with multiple prompts! This time up to 6 different prompts! There was a list of 6 attraction types and a separate list of 6 parks and you could mix and match how you'd like. An intriguing concept that gave people a ton of freedom to work with nearly any concept they'd like! Many of the Episodes since then have featured a final round with either multiple prompts, bigger prompts, or multiple bonuses to help it stand out and feel extra epic.

This Episode did a great job of finding the balance between simplicity and boundary pushing. And did a fantastic job working as a compliment to a longer game. Two things I intend to emulate heading into the future (though with a simpler theme).

Check out the 3rd Episode of the 3rd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 3, Episode 3!

Letโ€™s take the submarine ride from MK and plop those vehicles right into Epcot - but not in World Showcase. Build the ride right into the (reinforced and possibly expanded) aquarium, giving passengers a lot to look at.

CHALLENGE 10: History Channel - Bring back a Defunct Disney ride into a different park than it was originally in.
One obvious one: Country Bear Jamboree to DCA. I think that's already been brought up.

Another: Timekeeper into the Imagination theater space. It boggles my mind how they've kept that stupid Disney-Pixar Short Film Festival for so long.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Walt Disney Worldโ€™s version of Snow Whiteโ€™s Scary Adventures, originally located in the Magic Kingdom, returns to the resort in Disneyโ€™s Hollywood Studios, residing in the replica of the Carthay Circle Theater on Sunset Boulevard (an homage to the gala premiere of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs being held at the real Carthay Circle). Enhanced with the same upgraded effects as Disneylandโ€™s renovation of their incarnation of the ride, now known as Snow Whiteโ€™s Enchanted Wish, this classic dark ride is back to please - or spook - old and new generations of guests.
That would be fantastic and a great nod to Disney/Cinema history

Letโ€™s take the submarine ride from MK and plop those vehicles right into Epcot - but not in World Showcase. Build the ride right into the (reinforced and possibly expanded) aquarium, giving passengers a lot to look at.
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Legoland does have a submarine ride through an aquarium and that is such a cool idea!

Lets bring back the great movie ride and put it in dca (I was almost tempted to do the reverse for superstar limo lol)
I always support more Great Movie Ride and ESPECIALLY more Superstar Limo lol

1972 Mr Toad and Snow White at the only place I trust to handle them: Tokyo Disneyland
Spooky fun dark rides are always a good idea imo

Splash Mountain - a cross between Disneyland's and the Magic Kingdom's versions - is rebuilt in Hong Kong Disneyland's Fantasyland.
I would love to see a spiritual successor that captures the charm of Splash Mountain while fully divorcing it from Song of the South and the offensive connotations that come with that. There was so much good in that ride that a new version that cuts the bad, updating it for more modern sensibilities would be amazing to see. And Hong Kong could use some more classic feeling Disney experiences

One obvious one: Country Bear Jamboree to DCA. I think that's already been brought up.

Another: Timekeeper into the Imagination theater space. It boggles my mind how they've kept that stupid Disney-Pixar Short Film Festival for so long.
If the Disney-Pixar short film festival was a special temporary thing for Festival of the Arts or something I would adore it! The fact that it is just a seemingly permanent thing at this point is mind boggling. Timekeeper would be an excellent replacement

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Iโ€™m still salty about zip a dee do dah
Obviously making the parks more inclusive and welcoming to everyone is way more important than a fun song (hopefully something we can all agree on, theme parks are great but not worth more than respect of real actual people), especially when Disney has a nearly infinite number of fun songs with more new ones every year. But it was definitely a really fun song that worked great in parades and other park stuff

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Personally, I've always thought a version of the original Journey into Imagination would be really fun in a Tomorrowland somewhere. Serving as a thematic bridge between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland while giving some fun classic epcot Vibes to the sci-fi section. In my mind Tokyo would be a good fit because I feel like their love of cute creatures created for the parks would make Figment a huge hit there

cdunlap

I would love to see a spiritual successor that captures the charm of Splash Mountain while fully divorcing it from Song of the South and the offensive connotations that come with that. There was so much good in that ride that a new version that cuts the bad, updating it for more modern sensibilities would be amazing to see. And Hong Kong could use some more classic feeling Disney experiences
Well, we could always go with another mythology. The Pacific Northwest has several interesting Native American myths about Raven who, like Brer Rabbit, often tricks their fellow animals. (I'm using the gender neutral pronouns because the Natives aren't consistent as to whether or not Raven is a male or female)

WaltWiz1901

1972 Mr Toad at the only place I trust to handle [it]: Tokyo Disneyland
Personally, I've always thought a version of the original Journey into Imagination would be really fun in a Tomorrowland somewhere. Serving as a thematic bridge between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland while giving some fun classic epcot Vibes to the sci-fi section. In my mind Tokyo would be a good fit because I feel like their love of cute creatures created for the parks would make Figment a huge hit there
As strong as Tokyo's attraction roster is, these would make it even moreso. Half-1971/half-1983 Snow White, elaborate trackless Pooh, the Frozen/Peter Pan/Tangled rides coming to Fantasy Springs (DisneySea, yes, but they would work just as well in Disneyland), the cancelled two-story version of "small world", and two-tracked Mr. Toad...these and quite a few others would make for a very strong Fantasyland dark ride roster in particular!

In regards to your thought about Imagination in Tomorrowland (again, Tokyo especially would be a good place for it), I was similarly thinking about a revitalized Horizons in Tomorrowland, and specifically in the version of it I'd had in mind for my dream resort's castle park; honestly, any of the Future World E-tickets would be a natural fit.
More foreshadowing...and come to think of it, a Mirror Tokyo Disney Resort is sounding more and more tempting to imagine

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
Tokyo Disneylands Tomorrowland does need some help. I know the space mountain overhaul is coming but that is just the mountain and the plaza. Some old Epcot attractions would definitely help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom