The One Sentence Competition Retrospectives: Seasons 1-8

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Well, we could always go with another mythology. The Pacific Northwest has several interesting Native American myths about Raven who, like Brer Rabbit, often tricks their fellow animals. (I'm using the gender neutral pronouns because the Natives aren't consistent as to whether or not Raven is a male or female)
That would be perfect!

As strong as Tokyo's attraction roster is, these would make it even moreso. Half-1971/half-1983 Snow White, elaborate trackless Pooh, the Frozen/Peter Pan/Tangled rides coming to Fantasy Springs (DisneySea, yes, but they would work just as well in Disneyland), the cancelled two-story version of "small world", and two-tracked Mr. Toad...these and quite a few others would make for a very strong Fantasyland dark ride roster in particular!

In regards to your thought about Imagination in Tomorrowland (again, Tokyo especially would be a good place for it), I was similarly thinking about a revitalized Horizons in Tomorrowland, and specifically in the version of it I'd had in mind for my dream resort's castle park; honestly, any of the Future World E-tickets would be a natural fit.
More foreshadowing...and come to think of it, a Mirror Tokyo Disney Resort is sounding more and more tempting to imagine
You've got some great ideas and some real passion! I'd love to see your take on a full Mirror Tokyo Disney!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 3, Episode 4 - Choices

t1tXEY9.png

Hosted by: @AceAstro
Started on: September 10th, 2017
Won by: @D Hulk (a 3rd win in a row!)

Season 3 finished off with an episode that continued to build off of what the rest of the season had set up.

This episode was hosted by @AceAstro who was still relatively new to the forum. Which brings up something I haven't really taken time to discuss. The One Sentence Competition is almost always passing hands to different hosts. This is a big part of what has kept the game going strong for so many years and so many episodes! Each host brings their own personality and vision to the game giving the entire concept a refresh with each Episode while still building on and emulating the hosts that came before! The game is always new while keeping the same core.

Beyond just keeping the game from getting stale, it also is a great place for newer people to the forum (Or veterans who have just never hosted) to try their hand at running a game. The 1SC is a lot simpler and can be a great way to learn some of the difficulties that come with hosting something that people might not expect. The first thing I hosted was the one sentence comp and what I learned there was invaluable to hosting the first One Little Spark Competition and co-hosting Season 6 of the Sorcerer's Apprentice. The first thing @AceAstro hosted was this Episode of the One Sentence Competition before also going on to co-host Sorcerer's Apprentice Endgame and Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 7, two of the biggest games in this forum's history! If anyone is looking into hosting a game in the future, I would 100% recommend starting with an Episode of the 1SC.

This Episode's theme was all about choices. Every prompt would have 2 or 3 different options players could choose to focus on. Would you rather retheme Grizzly Peak Airfield or Critter Country? Would you rather bring back Flying Saucers or Rocket Rods? Stuff like that. Very outside the box prompt ideas too that hearkened back to the more crazy "What If?" theme from the Season 2 finale.

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture format. But did away with bonuses. The presentation of this game was kept similar to past Episodes and some of the added frills were cut, but this allowed the sometimes confusing "choices" premise have some room to breathe. The simplified aspects allowed the more complex aspects to shine.

This Episode did a great job of giving the players freedom to always be working on something they are interested in while still giving them the guidance to keep the whole experience on track. Giving players more freedom is something I plan to do as we head into the future.

Check out the 4th Episode of the 3rd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 3, Episode 4!

"CHALLENGE 8: Take one of the four WDW park icons (You can choose whatever for DHS as it always seems to be changing) and give it a temporary re-theme (like Mickey’s Wand for EPCOT or the Birthday Cake Castle). It can be for an anniversary, a celebration, or something else that you think would work."

Tony the Tigger

1SC Retrospective
Season 3, Episode 4 - Choices

t1tXEY9.png

Hosted by: @AceAstro
Started on: September 10th, 2017
Won by: @D Hulk (a 3rd win in a row!)

Season 3 finished off with an episode that continued to build off of what the rest of the season had set up.

This episode was hosted by @AceAstro who was still relatively new to the forum. Which brings up something I haven't really taken time to discuss. The One Sentence Competition is almost always passing hands to different hosts. This is a big part of what has kept the game going strong for so many years and so many episodes! Each host brings their own personality and vision to the game giving the entire concept a refresh with each Episode while still building on and emulating the hosts that came before! The game is always new while keeping the same core.

Beyond just keeping the game from getting stale, it also is a great place for newer people to the forum (Or veterans who have just never hosted) to try their hand at running a game. The 1SC is a lot simpler and can be a great way to learn some of the difficulties that come with hosting something that people might not expect. The first thing I hosted was the one sentence comp and what I learned there was invaluable to hosting the first One Little Spark Competition and co-hosting Season 6 of the Sorcerer's Apprentice. The first thing @AceAstro hosted was this Episode of the One Sentence Competition before also going on to co-host Sorcerer's Apprentice Endgame and Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 7, two of the biggest games in this forum's history! If anyone is looking into hosting a game in the future, I would 100% recommend starting with an Episode of the 1SC.

This Episode's theme was all about choices. Every prompt would have 2 or 3 different options players could choose to focus on. Would you rather retheme Grizzly Peak Airfield or Critter Country? Would you rather bring back Flying Saucers or Rocket Rods? Stuff like that. Very outside the box prompt ideas too that hearkened back to the more crazy "What If?" theme from the Season 2 finale.

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture format. But did away with bonuses. The presentation of this game was kept similar to past Episodes and some of the added frills were cut, but this allowed the sometimes confusing "choices" premise have some room to breathe. The simplified aspects allowed the more complex aspects to shine.

This Episode did a great job of giving the players freedom to always be working on something they are interested in while still giving them the guidance to keep the whole experience on track. Giving players more freedom is something I plan to do as we head into the future.

Check out the 4th Episode of the 3rd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 3, Episode 4!

"CHALLENGE 8: Take one of the four WDW park icons (You can choose whatever for DHS as it always seems to be changing) and give it a temporary re-theme (like Mickey’s Wand for EPCOT or the Birthday Cake Castle). It can be for an anniversary, a celebration, or something else that you think would work."
Spanning 2032-2033: Epcot celebrates its 50 year anniversary, and then 50 years of Figment with a huge representation of the dragon perched atop SSE.

(This is the idea, but in a better position.)
IMG_2096.jpeg

Disney Warrior

You know how the spaceship earth is like a golf ball, right? Why not turn it into one?

cdunlap

The Tree of Life but with a huge [INSERT NUMBER DIVISIBLE BY 10 HERE] in front of it!

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
The Tower of Terror is adorned with dazzling lights as the hotel is returned back to it's original state back in the 1920s. But that is not all, the ride itself will also change with the tower. We go through the queue as we see interactive displays and time travel portals giving hints on the journey ahead. The twilight zone theme is temporarily pushed aside as a host tells us we are going on a time traveling adventure. The scenes that we will be witnessing will be roaring 20s 4th of July, a disco party in the 70s, a 90s block party, and a futuristic new years eve in 2050.

In the Parks
No
I was going to go with Tower of Terror as well (though I would never suggest changing the ride—I'm terrified enough that they'll do that anyway and I love it as it is!).

For 2024 - The 100 Years of Rod Serling Celebration (he was born on Christmas 1924)
The Tower retains its rundown appearance, but a creepy scavenger hunt (a la Kim Possible WS Adventure, etc) has been added to the gardens in front of the ride, and a restaurant (with additional Twilight Zone references and theming) has been added to behind the attraction. This would all start out as temporary, but would likely become permanent.

I know this one's kind of avoiding the prompt of "changing" one of the icons, but I love the Tower of Terror too much to do anything but add to it.

WaltWiz1901

Cinderella Castle is turned into a velvet cake for Mickey Mouse’s 100th, with adornments and toppings in the colors of the mice of honor - red/yellow for Mickey, pink/blue for Minnie, and black and white for both.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Spanning 2032-2033: Epcot celebrates its 50 year anniversary, and then 50 years of Figment with a huge representation of the dragon perched atop SSE.

(This is the idea, but in a better position.)
View attachment 757532
They gotta get the pose for Figment just right. Tell the Imagineers to draw him like one of their French dragons :p

You know how the spaceship earth is like a golf ball, right? Why not turn it into one?
This is admittedly a joke answer, but...

The Tree of Life but with a huge [INSERT NUMBER DIVISIBLE BY 10 HERE] in front of it!
Ya'll nailed it lol

The Tower of Terror is adorned with dazzling lights as the hotel is returned back to it's original state back in the 1920s. But that is not all, the ride itself will also change with the tower. We go through the queue as we see interactive displays and time travel portals giving hints on the journey ahead. The twilight zone theme is temporarily pushed aside as a host tells us we are going on a time traveling adventure. The scenes that we will be witnessing will be roaring 20s 4th of July, a disco party in the 70s, a 90s block party, and a futuristic new years eve in 2050.
I was going to go with Tower of Terror as well (though I would never suggest changing the ride—I'm terrified enough that they'll do that anyway and I love it as it is!).

For 2024 - The 100 Years of Rod Serling Celebration (he was born on Christmas 1924)
The Tower retains its rundown appearance, but a creepy scavenger hunt (a la Kim Possible WS Adventure, etc) has been added to the gardens in front of the ride, and a restaurant (with additional Twilight Zone references and theming) has been added to behind the attraction. This would all start out as temporary, but would likely become permanent.

I know this one's kind of avoiding the prompt of "changing" one of the icons, but I love the Tower of Terror too much to do anything but add to it.
I love that you both took the idea of temporarily redoing Tower of Terror into exact opposite directions lol. Both turned out great though

Cinderella Castle is turned into a velvet cake for Mickey Mouse’s 100th, with adornments and toppings in the colors of the mice of honor - red/yellow for Mickey, pink/blue for Minnie, and black and white for both.
As a castle cake defender, love this!

WaltWiz1901

You've got some great ideas and some real passion! I'd love to see your take on a full Mirror Tokyo Disney!
Wouldn't be much aside from a few things like, say, dual-track Toad being part of the initial attraction lineup and Sci-Fi City becoming a reality...but I did think about alternate takes on the expansions the resort's seen in recent years and a few other tweaks:

Grand Avenue​

(Almost) stem-to-stern reimagining of World Bazaar. The glass roof over the main street is obviously eschewed, and all four quadrants receive a covered arcade to account for Japan’s frigid weather; the buildings now take on the feel of an urban city at the height of the Gilded Age

Adventureland​

- The costuming building is moved to make room for Temple of the Golden Naga, a dark ride/coaster tying into the Jungle Cruise nearby

Fantasyland​

- As was once planned at around the time Hunny Hunt was being developed, Snow White, Peter Pan (or, in another scenario, its replacement), and PhilharMagic are all shorn of their tournament tent facades and given village facades to match those of Pinocchio, Brave Little Tailor, Kingdom Treasures, etc.
- Dumbo is finally given the 16-elephant refresh it has received elsewhere and slightly moved a few feet to ensure enough room for the parade route
- The Haunted Chateau (gothic European retheme of the Haunted Mansion; the Holiday Nightmare overlay of the existing Mansion is also modified to account for this)
- Assuming the Peter Pan area of Fantasy Springs will render it redundant in the long term (which I doubt as Never Land Adventure is apparently a thrill dark ride versus a classic ride without a height restriction), Peter Pan’s Flight is swapped out with a Mary Poppins or AristoCats dark ride

In a tempting scenario I was also thinking about, turning the clock back by almost a decade, the New Fantasyland expansion project goes more or less as originally announced - and then some, annexing not just the Raceway, but Toontown as well (but I do have a few things to make up for that; the things I mentioned above are also part of this project). Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast and its surrounding area are built, as are...
- “it’s a small world” (moved and overhauled two-story version of the classic E-ticket, with choice of boat or hot-air balloon transport and a restaurant on the second floor; built on the site that would ultimately become occupied by the Fantasyland Forest Theatre, so PhilharMagic is converted into a theater for live shows)
- Rapunzel’s Lantern Festival (D-ticket boat dark ride; this is essentially what’s being built in Fantasy Springs at DisneySea IRL)
- Wacky Wonderland Whirl (E-ticket spinning dark ride/coaster)
- A D-ticket Mickey Mouse dark ride (maybe with him as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice or the Brave Little Tailor and coupled with a nearby meet-and-greet)

Tomorrowland​

The Space Mountain overhaul is looking pretty cool, so that goes on as planned, but the rest of Tomorrowland could use an accompanying refresh...and an expansion with a district on part of the parking lot:
- A new version of the EPCOT classic Journey Into Imagination and its accompanying ImageWorks play area
- A saucer or Dreamcatcher-inspired spinner, maybe similar to the Magic Kingdom’s Astro Orbiter or Hong Kong’s Orbitron

Split-off mini-lands​

- New Orleans Square/Royal Street, off of Adventureland
- Pixar Place, off of Tomorrowland; consists of Ride & Go Seek! and an Al’s Toy Barn retheme of Toy Station

Lost River Delta​

- In the expansion pad once slated for the site of a Scandinavian port (as will be touched on below) is a Central Americas jungle rapids ride

...and that's pretty much it, unless we swing the clock by almost a decade again:

Glacier Fjord​

This proposed Scandinavian port is built on the expansion pad adjacent to Lost River Delta as was originally planned, anchored by Anna and Elsa’s Frozen Journey, the same E-ticket magnetically-guided boat dark ride coming to Fantasy Springs IRL

Tropical Springs​

Alternate approach to Fantasy Springs, featuring mini-lands devoted to Moana, Peter Pan (like IRL), and Saludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros:
- Moana’s Monstrous Voyage (E-ticket rapids dark ride)
- Peter Pan’s Never Land Adventure (E-ticket suspended KUKA/SCOOP dark ride)
- Tinker Bell’s Busy Buggies (C-ticket track ride)
- Donald’s Train to Baia (richly themed family coaster with colorful pop-up book stylings; think Snoopy’s Great Race at Universal Studios Japan or the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train)

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A little early, but I'm headed to bed so...
1SC Retrospective
Season 4, Episode 1 - The Disney Year

24383187427_31596d97e5_o_d.jpg

Hosted by: @D Hulk
Started on: December 25th, 2017
Won by: @Pi on my Cake

Season 4 came out the gate running with an exciting and grand episode!

This episode was hosted by @D Hulk because him hosting seemed to be the only way to stop his winning streak lol.

This Episode's theme was about going through the twelve months. Each round had a new month and a new park. We celebrated Earth day with an Animal Kingdom prompt, Turkey day in Hollywood Studios, and many more holidays in every single Disney park around the world!

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture format. Though some prompts upped the sentence count back up to 5 for larger concepts like lands. Bonuses returned with some changes. Everyone who submitted a bonus got a bonus point. Usually these were just 1 extra sentence for a separate but related prompt to the main one. Sometimes these bonuses got way outside the box! For the project celebrating everyone's favorite holiday, Talk like a Pirate Day, the bonus was to write your main project in pirate speak. And if ye don't think that be a golden nugget of an idea, then ye be nothing more than a land lubber, argh!

There was a big focus on fun with this episode. There was a competitive edge, but there were often ties and extra bonuses and other stuff to keep the playing field even. The prompts weren't usually anything too crazy or challenging, but they were all creative and fun ideas. A lot of people got really into it and it was not at all uncommon to see people doing original art or maps for their projects. Things that usually aren't done for the 1SC, but people were having a lot of fun going all in this Episode. Sometimes this game was maybe a bit too large scale. Pushing the limit of how big this game can get before it gets too big. But it never quite crossed that line and went down in history as one of the stronger Episodes of the game!

This focus on fun projects and big ideas will definitely be kept in mind as we head into the future!

Check out the 1st Episode of the 4th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 4, Episode 1!

"August - Lazy Day (yes this is a real holiday): Create a new mini-land like Ratatouille's in Walt Disney Studios Paris. With one E-ticket, one shop and one restaurant, create for WDSP a “must visit” fully-themed addition. The one caveat: You cannot use any properties which presently have a ride in any Disney park."

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Totally agree on the fountain. Did you see Luminous?
Yes! I really enjoyed it (especially all the fountains, I've a big fountain guy lol).

The "Play" section using almost the exact same songs as Happily Ever After felt weird and it needed a real showstopper moment, but overall I thought it was well handled and felt very "EPCOT" despite all the disney songs. The fountains really were mesmorizing and the original music was great

In the Parks
No
August - Lazy Day (yes this is a real holiday): Create a new mini-land like Ratatouille's in Walt Disney Studios Paris. With one E-ticket, one shop and one restaurant, create for WDSP a “must visit” fully-themed addition. The one caveat: You cannot use any properties which presently have a ride in any Disney park.
Oh YES!

New York Street for WDSP headlined by Oliver's Big Adventure! A Radiator Springs Racers-style race through New York following the story of the 80s classic Oliver and Company. An A1000 Animatronic Fagin is featured in the queue, and the other major moments include a terrifying Sykes animatronic chasing you in his black sedan and Dodger singing Why Should I Worry.

The Hot Dog stand would be one of the food offerings, but a standard American-fare diner would the main sit-down location.

Fagin's Garbage - the little shop on the docks where you can have all the garbage of Fagin's that Sykes didn't want (in other words, a standard shop themed to Fagin's residence).

Last edited:

WaltWiz1901

"August - Lazy Day (yes this is a real holiday): Create a new mini-land like Ratatouille's in Walt Disney Studios Paris. With one E-ticket, one shop and one restaurant, create for WDSP a “must visit” fully-themed addition. The one caveat: You cannot use any properties which presently have a ride in any Disney park."
For the first time ever, the world of Inside Out comes to life in Walt Disney Studios! Guests can journey into Riley’s inner mind as they embark on an Emotional Escapade (LPS trackless dark ride), have some Food for Thought, and refresh their Long Term Memory while shopping for a souvenir or two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom