The One Sentence Competition Retrospectives: Seasons 1-8

Disney Warrior

"1992: Design a quick service restaurant anywhere throughout the newly opened Disneyland Paris, ideally with great views for the guests to show offs the park's lovely scenery that it is known for."
Last time I made a barbecue cart in front of big thunder mountain so this time I’m proposing a cart somewhere in fantasyland near the castle

Miru

The new Parisian restaurant is called “Dream to Find”, a JII-themed eatery that showcases the scenery of Paris and the surrounding area, amplified with creative hedge work and forced perspective tricks, not to mention the charming musical accompaniment and creative meal designs.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A Pete's Dragon-themed bakery in Fantasyland called Brazzle Dazzle Bakery, with murals depicting scenes from the film and a few hints that Elliot might be hiding in the rafters.
I love that! And it is just the kind of thing Paris would make blending walkthrough attraction elements into nearly everything they do!

A quick service restaurant on top of space mountain where you would go up an elevator
This is such a simple premise but also such a strong one. I would adore this and the sights you could see from up there would be astounding!

Last time I made a barbecue cart in front of big thunder mountain so this time I’m proposing a cart somewhere in fantasyland near the castle
I always support more barbecue in the parks, and outdoor dining venues that allow guests to eat while staying immersed in the land are a lovely thing!

The new Parisian restaurant is called “Dream to Find”, a JII-themed eatery that showcases the scenery of Paris and the surrounding area, amplified with creative hedge work and forced perspective tricks, not to mention the charming musical accompaniment and creative meal designs.
Journey Into Imagination would fit like a glove into Paris's Discoveryland. Especially closer to opening day. And this very unique take on it as a subtley themed yet incredibly whimsical restaurant is perfect!

Phantom Manor becomes a restaurant. That’s it. That's the concept.
Short, sweet, and to the point lol. Sometimes all you need is a few words to full communicate a great idea

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 8, Episode 1 - Summer Fun

osc-logo-png.647233

Hosted by: @tcool123
Started on: June 20th, 2022
Won by: @Suchomimus once again

Season 8 also wasn't really an official season, but for the sake of keeping this organized, what I'm calling season 8 started with a special Summer Celebration!

This episode saw the return of @tcool123 as host once again! This was one of the longest gaps between Episodes of the 1SC in a LONG time, but it returned in a truly grand fashion with a celebration of Summer Fun! This went beyond simply a theme for the prompts, the summer vacation motif inspired a new logo, tons of new graphics, fully rewritten templates that didn't use anything from past seasons, and even the start date of the competition (beginning on the first day of summer). With @tcool123 even going as far as to make special icons for any players that signed up with their avatars wearing sunglasses. You can see the sunglasses still on @Brer Panther's and @Suchomimus's profile pics! Not to mention replacing the Medals that were used for every round since season 2 (With a visual update in Season 6 onwards as the only change since they were introduced) with the all new Surfboards!

1702960501875.png
1702960513116.png
1702960522784.png
1702960532408.png

The theme went beyond the visuals and phrasing, every single prompt tied into the summer vibes. Seasonal Celebrations, trips to the waterparks, blockbuster movies, and much more! The prompts were fun, the players were excited to participate, and the host went all out putting in a TON of effort to make this Episode something unique and special. Couple that with the pent up demand from the long break between Episodes and you have a recipe for a great season with a truly insane number of players! 30 different people submitted at least one project! Most Episodes are lucky to even crack 20 players total and unless I missed something, this is the highest number of players EVER!!!
With your help though, I bet we can beat it, tell your friends :p

This was truly one of the greatest Episodes of the One Sentence Comp ever! @tcool123 always finds a way to top themselves every time they come back to this game and this is truly a tough act to follow. Obviously, with this being a more casual game by nature and a great way for first time hosts to get started, no one expect quite this level of effort or engagement from every Episode. But when it can be done, these efforts can really transform the 1SC into a real event!

This Episode is a perfect example of how the One Sentence Comp can be so much more than just a simple side game when it is treated as a Main Event for the forum! Something I'll keep in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the Summer Fun here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Summer Fun!

"The Summer Blockbuster: Design a new nighttime spectacular hosted on the Chinese Theater in Disney's Hollywood Studios."

Last edited:

WaltWiz1901

"1992: Design a quick service restaurant anywhere throughout the newly opened Disneyland Paris, ideally with great views for the guests to show offs the park's lovely scenery that it is known for."
Big Top Treats is a food court near Dumbo the Flying Elephant in Fantasyland, with a row of carts offering snacks like popcorn and peanuts and grandstand seating so guests can watch Dumbo fly around.

In the Parks
No
The Summer Blockbuster: Design a new nighttime spectacular hosted on the Chinese Theater in Disney's Hollywood Studios.
Starlight Serenade
[in the alternate universe in which DHS is still centered on Hollywood in general]:

Starlight Serenade is an ode to the Golden Age of Cinema taking place every night on the Chinese Theatre, featuring clips and projections from the biggest musical cinema hits of the 1940s-1950s, set to the scores from these films. The stars then come to life, literally, as drones form caricatures of the stars (a la The Brown Derby) and create a twinkling swing dance in the sky above the Chinese Theatre.
[image is the closest I could come to swing dancing in the sky]
1702873934320.png

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
Well, this is the Chinese Theatre, so how about a projection show about Chinese Mythology. If it’s unpopular here, then move it to China Pavilion!
For some reason I’m not surprised by your pick for a show. Anyways I literally got nothing maybe a show revolving around famous movies through film history, kinda like a spiritual successor to the great movie ride

Tony the Tigger

1SC Retrospective
Season 8, Episode 1 - Summer Fun

osc-logo-png.647233

Started on: June 20th, 2022
Won by: @Suchomimus once again

Season 8 also wasn't really an official season, but for the sake of keeping this organized, what I'm calling season 8 started with a special Summer Celebration!

This episode saw the return of @tcool123 as host once again! This was one of the longest gaps between Episodes of the 1SC in a LONG time, but it returned in a truly grand fashion with a celebration of Summer Fun! This went beyond simply a theme for the prompts, the summer vacation motif inspired a new logo, tons of new graphics, fully rewritten templates that didn't use anything from past seasons, and even the start date of the competition (beginning on the first day of summer). With @tcool123 even going as far as to make special icons for any players that signed up with their avatars wearing sunglasses. You can see the sunglasses still on @Brer Panther's and @Suchomimus's profile pics! Not to mention replacing the Medals that were used for every round since season 2 (With a visual update in Season 6 onwards as the only change since they were introduced) with the all new Surfboards!

View attachment 759130View attachment 759131View attachment 759132View attachment 759133

The theme went beyond the visuals and phrasing, every single prompt tied into the summer vibes. Seasonal Celebrations, trips to the waterparks, blockbuster movies, and much more! The prompts were fun, the players were excited to participate, and the host went all out putting in a TON of effort to make this Episode something unique and special. Couple that with the pent up demand from the long break between Episodes and you have a recipe for a great season with a truly insane number of players! 30 different people submitted at least one project! Most Episodes are lucky to even crack 20 players total and unless I missed something, this is the highest number of players EVER!!!
With your help though, I bet we can beat it, tell your friends :p

This was truly one of the greatest Episodes of the One Sentence Comp ever! @tcool123 always finds a way to top themselves every time they come back to this game and this is truly a tough act to follow. Obviously, with this being a more casual game by nature and a great way for first time hosts to get started, no one expect quite this level of effort or engagement from every Episode. But when it can be done, these efforts can really transform the 1SC into a real event!

This Episode is a perfect example of how the One Sentence Comp can be so much more than just a simple side game when it is treated as a Main Event for the forum! Something I'll keep in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the Summer Fun here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Summer Fun!

"The Summer Blockbuster: Design a new nighttime spectacular hosted on the Chinese Theater in Disney's Hollywood Studios."

Oh, I remember this one!
IMG_2273.png

@tcool123 did a great job.

I’m going to put an idea here and then go back and read what I really submitted. It was probably Star Wars. And now…

Muppet Star Wars ExSTARavaGonzo!

Featuring Piiigs…Innn…Spaaaaace!

The Muppets have played Star Wars characters before, and the Muppet Show’s “Pigs In Space” recurring skit was their answer to Star Wars & Trek.

This will be a comical, fun Muppet spoof of Star Wars with a big screen combined with a stage show. overhead spaceship drones…and possibly an appearance by the real Darth Vader confronting Gonzo the Sith Imposter!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Big Top Treats is a food court near Dumbo the Flying Elephant in Fantasyland, with a row of carts offering snacks like popcorn and peanuts and grandstand seating so guests can watch Dumbo fly around.
Salty Snacks and a circus aesthetic. Sounds great!

Starlight Serenade
[in the alternate universe in which DHS is still centered on Hollywood in general]:

Starlight Serenade is an ode to the Golden Age of Cinema taking place every night on the Chinese Theatre, featuring clips and projections from the biggest musical cinema hits of the 1940s-1950s, set to the scores from these films. The stars then come to life, literally, as drones form caricatures of the stars (a la The Brown Derby) and create a twinkling swing dance in the sky above the Chinese Theatre.
[image is the closest I could come to swing dancing in the sky]
View attachment 759276
I love the look back at that era of hollywood! I've heard that Fireworks over the chinese theater aren't possible anymore since the addition of Toy Story Land (it gets in the way of the drop zone for the shells or something like that). A drone show is a perfect substitute and setting it against classic film scores is a lovely idea

Well, this is the Chinese Theatre, so how about a projection show about Chinese Mythology. If it’s unpopular here, then move it to China Pavilion!
A bit of an oddball pick for the movie studio park, but the idea of the Chinese Theater itself coming to life to tell grand mythic stories is just so exciting that I don't care if it clashes thematically a bit

For some reason I’m not surprised by your pick for a show. Anyways I literally got nothing maybe a show revolving around famous movies through film history, kinda like a spiritual successor to the great movie ride
Great Movie Ride but as a nighttime show is pretty strong idea. It would be the perfect nighttime spectacular for me because I love movies

Last time I made something called “Iger’s IP Spectacular,” this time, how about an all-Pixar themed show with luxo jr, the Pixar ball, and characters from all of their films making appearances
A big Pixar Celebration could be a lot of fun! And so many Pixar movies have incredible scores that would lend themselves so well to a nighttime show

Since the theater now hosts a Mickey Mouse ride, how about an hour of Mickey, Minnie, Crack Addict Goofy, and the others acting LOL SO WACKY and making deranged expressions projected onto the Chinese Theater?
Only an hour? I want a glorious 3 Hour Tribute to all modern Mickey shorts but mostly Potatoland

Oh, I remember this one!
View attachment 759340
@tcool123 did a great job.

I’m going to put an idea here and then go back and read what I really submitted. It was probably Star Wars. And now…

Muppet Star Wars ExSTARavaGonzo!

Featuring Piiigs…Innn…Spaaaaace!

The Muppets have played Star Wars characters before, and the Muppet Show’s “Pigs In Space” recurring skit was their answer to Star Wars & Trek.

This will be a comical, fun Muppet spoof of Star Wars with a big screen combined with a stage show. overhead spaceship drones…and possibly an appearance by the real Darth Vader confronting Gonzo the Sith Imposter!
A nighttime show centered around the Muppets parodying one of Disney's biggest franchises which also takes up a third of the park. That's such a fun and goofy idea that could be fantastic if done right

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The real game begins in just about 24 hours!

But first, we have our final look back at the past!

1SC Retrospective
Season 8, Episode 2 - Holiday Fun

untitled-png.685329

Started on: December 15th, 2022
Won by: @TheSorcerersApprentice

Season 8 also wasn't really an official season, but for the sake of keeping this organized (And to continue my personal tradition of kicking off every third season), what I'm calling season 8 ended with a Holiday Special!

This episode saw @tcool123 host once again for another very special Episode! This was a short and sweet Episode giving everyone a bit of imagineering magic for the busy holiday season. With only 5 rounds this was the shortest Episode (aside from ones that ended early unintentionally), but that made it a perfect fit for that time of year. All the extra flourishes seen in the Summer Fun Episode were found here with a ton of custom graphics and Ornaments as a new version of the medals/surfboards.

Ergg5wv.png

The holiday theme extended to every round with players posting their ideas for overlays, TV Specials, seasonal shows, etc. It was very much a fun focused Episode with the competitive aspect of the competition taking a back seat to the simple joy of that special time of year and getting to hang out with each other on the forum. Having a grand old time throwing out ideas and encouraging each other. This might seem more or less the same as Summer Fun but smaller scale and with less players, but really this distinguished itself by some very subtle shifts in the tone. Summer Fun felt like an EVENT, a big blockbuster experience. Holiday Fun felt like a treat, a fun time with friends. @tcool123 lead another really great episode putting in a ton of effort, encouraging players to get involved, and rewarding them for their hard work. Another great Episode!

Sadly, it wound up being the last episode for over a year now. 2023 marked a transitionary period in the forum as a whole. It started with @TheOriginalTiki leading the 20th and final season of So, You Want to be an Imagineer (at least in its current form) marking the end of an era as that game was perhaps the oldest still ongoing Armchair Imagineering competition on the internet. Unofficial leaders of the 1SC and the forum as a whole like @spacemt354 @tcool123 and @D Hulk becoming increasingly busy with their careers and other "real life" stuff. Veteran Players (like myself) who started in high school and college are now in our mid to late 20s or older with careers needing to step away more frequently (I may have won the big Spring Competition this year, SYWTBAI, but I was offline most of the summer since that's the busy season at my current job (hint: my boss is a rat)). The big boom of 2020-2022 was dying down and activity on the forum was beginning to drop again as the big shoes left behind were waiting to be filled. But judging by the activity on this thread, looking around the forum, and seeing the incredible work done by @Dark PerGron @JokersWild and @mickeyfan5534 on the Manor of Mystery's Competition I have absolutely no doubts in my mind that we are headed to a new BOOM that has already started with a new generation of leaders and iconic players coming into their own! I'm excited to try and do my part to nurture that by reviving the One Sentence Competition!

I truly believe that supporting forums like this one is going to be increasingly important especially as many of the major social media sites are becoming increasingly erratic, unreliable, and outright hostile (especially to queer people and other minority groups). Smaller online communities like this one are more important than ever. Not to mention that with the rise of AI art/writing programs, a forum like this that serves as a celebration of real art made by real people AND as a great place to learn and develop creative talents is a beautiful thing!

Anyways, getting off of my soap box, @tcool123 did an amazing job once again! This Episode is a perfect example of how FUN the One Sentence Comp is when the focus stays on having a good time and encouraging others to grow and develop their talents! Something I'll keep in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the Holiday Fun here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Holiday Fun!

"Overlay the Halls: Design a new holiday overlay for any attraction at any theme park."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom