The One Sentence Competition Retrospectives: Seasons 1-8

Chaos Cat

I don't know how many of you guys have seen this yet, but Park Lore has once again knocked it out of the park (pun intended)!

Honestly, this is giving me inspiration to go back and take a look at my Mirror Magic Kingdom. I'd like to add some of his amazing concepts to my own ideal MK!
Shared it on another thread already.

Not that I'm complaining, that buildout is amazing

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
A Darkwing Duck adventure...never watched DuckTales (each version was before and after my time, respectively), but I always loved Darkwing Duck! Only saw like five episodes on Toon Disney during a couple trips to WDW, but a Darkwing Duck ride could be pretty cool for Tokyo's Toontown, showing the dark underbelly of the jolly place.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I'll catch up on reading through everyone's stuff tomorrow but it all looks great from skimming through!

1SC Retrospective
Season 6, Episode 3 - California Adventure

1eUOt02.jpeg

Hosted by: @spacemt354
Started on: April 3rd, 2021
Won by: @Sharon&Susan

Season 6 ended by bringing together some of the best elements from past Seasons

This episode saw the return of @spacemt354 who might not have the same free time now that they once did, but used to be the unofficial "leader" of the forum. Not because they ever tried to take control or be bossy or anything like that. They just have such a talent at bringing people together and building up others. Plus, Space has always understood exactly what it is that makes an Armchair Imagineering competition (no matter the scale) work so well. With this Episode, he brought back a lot of things that worked in the past making this a great culmination of everything that came before. @D Hulk popping in to do bonus prompts again, Space's trademark ties for nearly every medal, no "Dundies Awards" but a big focus on encouraging players by shouting out very specific things, and a very fun theme balanced by the basic gameplay.

The theme was a California road trip! Taking players all across the Golden State and way outside the Disney bubble and into Six Flags, Pacific Park, Knott's Berry Farm, and more! There was some mild pushback over how obscure some of these parks could be (this being a Walt Disney World forum, players tend to be most familiar with Disney or Florida parks. Although the member base has definitely grown over the years especially on the Imagineering side), but Space's trademark uplifting nature and fun style kept players engaged despite the niche prompts. Plus, the standard 1-3 sentence format kept it from ever being overwhelming.

CqOt7da.jpeg

If you look at that image Space made for the road trip, one park might jump out at you. Disney Sky? It might not be real, but it was one of the most ambitious and well made Dream Park projects ever presented on this forum! Created by @D Hulk (a big figure in 1SC History as I'm sure you've noticed, winning and hosting several games) over the course of more than a year putting together all of his talents to create a true masterpiece! The One Sentence Competition has often been tied to other parts of the forum over the years; often tying into larger scale competitions either directly or indirectly. Sometimes Episodes would be intentionally timed as a way to keep activity high on the boards when there was no major events going on or rushed out to give the forum a boost in energy when things are slow around here. But unless I've missed something, this is the ONLY time the major event the 1SC was tied to was someone's personal project! It really goes to show both how well respected @D Hulk is on the forum as one of the best armchair imagineers ever AND how exciting his dream park was.

Check out DisneySky here!
Although sadly it seems a lot of the incredible artwork has been eaten up by the internet over the years

This Episode is a perfect example of pulling elements from past seasons together to help ground some more ambitious idea. A concept that is definitely being kept in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the 3rd Episode of the 6th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 6, Episode 3!

"STOP 6: Pitch a Pinball Machine or an indoors Mini-Golf course for Pacific Park at Santa Monica Pier "

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
"STOP 6: Pitch a Pinball Machine or an indoors Mini-Golf course for Pacific Park at Santa Monica Pier "
Hmmm, I drove past Santa Monica Pier, stopped in the parking lot and took a picture with Mr. Met (I don't know why he was there, and I'm a Cubs fan so it didn't really change my life). But I didn't go into Pacific Park, so I don't know what really belongs there.

How about a pinball machine themed to the animated movie Robots, which I loved growing up. It has nothing to do with anything, but I want to spread the Robots-love.

WaltWiz1901

Maybe a pinball machine with a turn-of-the-century theme?

Having said that, part of me was also more than swayed to pitch something or two for another prompt that caught my eye even more (concurred verily that DisneySky is a thing of beauty!)...

"STOP 3: Create a new merchandise item for DisneySky"
A series of die-cast vehicles modeled after the ride vehicles for such attractions as...
- DisneySky JetRail
- In an Ocean of Stars
- Flight to the Top of the World
- Mickey’s Plane Crazy
- Mt. Helios Funiculars
- IMPACT!
- Atomic Boneyard
- Avengers: Infinity Gaunlet
...and a motorized/remote-control JetRail playset, in the tradition of those for the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Monorails and Tokyo’s Disney Resort Line

Suchomimus

"CHALLENGE 7 - DHS gets an interactive park game (like Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom, Ducktales World Showcase Adventure, or Wilderness Explorers). What should the theme be?"
The game would be called Cartoon Capers and would be themed to famous Silly Symphony and Mickey and Friends. Located in the Hollywood half of the park, these activities would involve clues that lead to props that reference those cartoon titles.
"CHALLENGE 3: Create a new Daytime Show for the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater (The Fantasmic Theater) without using Star Wars, the MCU, or Toy Story"
Oswald and Ortensia's Oceanic Odyssey is a 40 minute-long show where the two titular characters take a leisure cruise only to discover mystical and exotic locations, making new friends along the way.
"CHALLENGE 1: E.P.F.O.T - Add a new Flat Ride to any existing EPCOT Pavilion"
Kotobuki Parade is a derby-race carousel located in the Japan Pavilion. Kotobuki is a truly bizarre chimera, being a combination of all twelve animals of the Zodiac, with the ride vehicles themselves being the individual animals of the Zodiac dressed ornately and inviting human riders to partake in the celebration.
"1972 : in real life, Disney was concerned that Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't be exciting to Floridians since we are so close to the actual Caribbean so they originally planned to replace it with a similar attraction but with a different theme. In this scenario, you as imagineers have to come up with an 'elevator pitch' for an E-ticket style dark ride in Adventureland or Frontierland, to fill in the void of Pirates in the Magic Kingdom."
Since Frontierland has no major draws, this would be the perfect place for Spirits of The Far West. This is a dark ride where guests board will board a horseless carriage brought to life by spirit guides as you venture from the ghost town that is Dry Gulch and set out on a hauntingly beautiful expedition to help bring peace to restless spirits with the help of the owl Hoot Gibson.
"CHALLENGE 2: Replace any ride in Disneyland Paris with the park's first (as of the time of the comp) E-Ticket in the 21st Century"
In place of Indiana Jones is Fire Mountain, a dueling roller coaster where riders choose to ride as two rival explorers who are in a race to discover the mountain's main diamond deposit first, only to enrage the spirits that call this mountain home and send riders hurling through haunted caverns and magma chambers.
"CHALLENGE 7: Design a Replacement for Rafiki's Planet Watch, but it must remain a "separated" land (only accessible by train or other transportation methods)."
Take the Eastern Star Railway's Wildlife Express from Harambe to the Gateway to the Red Sea, a brand new extension to Africa set in an Egyptian coastal village along the Red Sea. This land will include an aquarium with animals native to the Red Sea such lionfish and dugongs and a trail with North African animals such as camels and addaxes, as well as a splash pad, a terrain powered coaster themed to the North African Python and a Sky Fly themed to the Peregrine Falcon.
"CHALLENGE 1: Propose a theme for a 5th gate for WDW"
Located to the right of the Magic Kingdom's parking lot, Port Disney is the American take on Tokyo's DisneySea, with the park's icon being the towering Mt. Proteus. Making up the parks ports of call are, London Docklands (the entrance), Bucaneer Bay, San Francisco Wharf, Vulcania Base (in the center of the park), Nemo's Reef, Prehistoric Harbour (different from Dinoland USA as the prehistoric beasts are descendants of more familiar names such as Tyrannosaurus and Stegosaurus), Delta of the Red Dragon and Grecian Gulf.
"CHALLENGE 10: History Channel - Bring back a Defunct Disney ride into a different park than it was originally in."
As part of their Tomorrowland revamp, the Tomorrowland Peoplemover makes its way over to Tokyo Disneyland, curving high above the land's streets. The cars will be enclosed much like the old Disneyland counterpart and will go through many of the land's show buildings in an non-intrusive manner like the 2 US incarnations.
"CHALLENGE 8: Take one of the four WDW park icons (You can choose whatever for DHS as it always seems to be changing) and give it a temporary re-theme (like Mickey’s Wand for EPCOT or the Birthday Cake Castle). It can be for an anniversary, a celebration, or something else that you think would work."
Celebrating Animal Kingdom's 30th anniversary, the Tree of Life is decorated with ornaments that represent animals real, ancient, and imagined. The animals that make up the roots and bark of the tree are also decorated in turquoise details.
"August - Lazy Day (yes this is a real holiday): Create a new mini-land like Ratatouille's in Walt Disney Studios Paris. With one E-ticket, one shop and one restaurant, create for WDSP a “must visit” fully-themed addition. The one caveat: You cannot use any properties which presently have a ride in any Disney park."
Following the success of Coco, Santa Cecilia is built as this small but quaint mini-land with its highlight being Coco: Miguel's Musical Journey, a highly advanced suspended dark ride following the story of Coco. Additional offerings here include Riveria's Familia de Zapateros where authentic handcrafted shoes are made and Elena's, where Miguel's grandmother serves authentic Mexican homestyle meals.
"CHALLENGE 4: Revamp the Imagination Pavilion, creating something entirely new. And before you bring back the original Journey into Imagination ride, you have to know the rules. There are 2 rules. The first is that whatever you add to the pavilion CAN NOT INCLUDE FIGMENT OR DREAMFINDER (or Bleamfinder & Bligment) and the second is that the pavilion must still revolve around Imagination. But other than that, you can include whatever you want! Simulators, roller coasters, dark rides, whatever! Fully revamp this pavilion without Figment, but keeping the Imagination theme."
Replacing the current JiI is a suspended dark ride called The Arts of Imagination. Three masters of the arts; one for the medium of musical art, the medium of visual arts, and the medium of written arts and all named after famous people who contributed to Disney's history; have come together to present the world with the intention of inspiring others to dream up wonderful ideas and enjoy the beauty of the human mind, with each room showcasing the majesty of each medium like never before.
"CHALLENGE 4: Add a Muppet themed attraction to Animal Kingdom!"
Located in the new Mickey's Hidden Habitat expansion, Muppets Menagerie of Madness is a tea cups style ride where guests board boats destined to be loaded with Muppet-style creatures before chaos erupts when Bunsen's own experimental airship creates a whirlwind within the storehouse!
"CHALLENGE 1a: Create a Dark Ride for any park based on a live action Disney movie made before 1970 (no Mary Poppins!)"
Davy Crockett and the River Pirates is an indoor rapids ride that replaces the other half of the long abandoned Nature's Wonderland section where Bear Country and Cascade Peak used to be. This ride captures the thrills of Davy Crockett and Mike Fink's race off and their fight against the pirates, and as well would serve as an in-between for Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain/Tiana's Bayou Adventure.
"CHALLENGE 2: Create a new slide for the Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach Water Parks"
Coming to Blizzard Beach is Glacial Gusher, a raft slider like Karakatau. Complete with this version is an indoor cave portion where riders float past multicolored ice crystals before plunging down the final drop.
"CHALLENGE 7: 2010s - Propose something new Disney could do with Magic Bands (and/or Magic Band+)"
A new version of the Magic Bands that light up during in-sync with key visual moments during nighttime shows such as fireworks going off.
"CHALLENGE 9: Write a Jungle Cruise Joke"
"Could you folks keep your eyes peeled for a red box of animal crackers? It was given to me as a promotion for not crashing the boat in... *notices the box, floating on a piece of ship wreckage surrounded by crocodiles.* Ah, now I just feel crumby inside."
Propose a new Adaptation of a theme park ride!
This can be a Movie, a Disney+ Series, or a Video Game
"
Thunder Mesa Explorer can be best described as a Disney version of the Red Dead Redemption series. A combination of the cancelled Thunder Mesa complex, Big Thunder Mountain, and the original Rainbow Ridge area, this open world game follows Jason Chandler as he fights off against bandit gangs, explores the hidden Nature's Wonderland, and witnesses the fall of the Thunder Mesa Mining Company.
"SCENE 4: Pitch a method of implementing DuckTales (either the 1987 series or 2017 series) in Tokyo Disneyland. It can be an attraction, a restaurant, whatever you wish."
Lucky Dime Cafe is a retheme of the Existing Huey, Dewey, and Louie's Good Time Cafe to the 2017 series. Along the walls and shelves are mementos from some of the series' most well known and beloved (mis)adventures.
Sweet Rewards is a mini-golf course themed to Big Rock Candy Mountain. Putt your way around this sugary oasis to the Castle of the Chocolate Chili Cookie Countess.

Last edited:

Miru

Challenges I missed.

JC Joke: “Here, we are proud to feature the one kind of animal nowhere else in this resort has… but I don’t have a clue what that kind is.”

Media Adaptation of a ride: America Sings becomes a game similar to Rhythm Heaven, with quick minigames based around American pop hits and folk favorites.

Ducktales in the Parks: Tokyo DisneySea gains a new section, none other than The Moon, which is primarily based on the 2017 Ducktales, but also features Marvel’s Moon Knight making an appearance.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Only a few more days until the game begins for real! I'm back home and will be catching up on the thread and making final preparations tomorrow afternoon. If there's any parks or prompts you want to see in the game let me know!

1SC Retrospective
Season 7, Episode 1 - Platinum Edition

1622646965379-png.561438

Hosted by: @tcool123
Started on: June 2nd, 2021
Won by: @montydysquith-navarro

Season 7 wasn't really an official season, but for the sake of keeping this organized, what I'm calling season 7 started off with a celebration of WDWMagic's 20th anniversary!

This episode saw the return of @tcool123 who, if you'll remember, essentially created the 1SC by turning the really simple concept by @Turtle into what it is known as today! @tcool123 wasn't just hosting this game, but was organizing an imagineering forum wide event to celebrate its 20th anniversary! The Platinum Celebration stretched to several games/threads across the entire year, but it all started HERE with the One Sentence Competition!

Click Here for More Info on the Platinum Celebration

The theme was pretty simple. A mix of new prompts and old ones from past scenes updated for the modern era. It was a celebration of what came before it, but without ever feeling stuck in the past. This might be, in many ways, the quintessential 1SC Episode. There's not much specific to note as in many ways it is a very "standard" season, but "standard" in no way means bad as this was one of the all time best Episodes! Including a catch up round to help keep it accessible, occasional bonuses thrown in for extra fun, and even a tie-in to a separate game, "It Could Always be Worse" by @MickeyWaffleCo.

This even saw the return of the Grand Finale tradition which had been missing for a hot minute. A final round featuring SEVEN different prompts going on at once to give it a really epic feeling! A Grand Finale like that only works in a game where both the hosts and the players are active, excited, and committed. It was an amazing celebration of the game that was itself a celebration of all the seasons that came before it AND the forum as a whole! @tcool123 trusted the players to pull off a Grand Finale of 7 prompts at once, and the players trusted @tcool123 to reward them for their hard work.

This Episode is a perfect example a host bringing their A-Game and being very in touch with the players. Tailoring the game to the people playing and enjoying it! Something I'll keep in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the Platinum Edition here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from The Platinum Edition!

"SCENE 3: Design a new float for the Main Street Electrical Parade, HOWEVER it must be based on a Disney property created in 2010 and onwards."

Suchomimus

The game would be called Cartoon Capers and would be themed to famous Silly Symphony and Mickey and Friends. Located in the Hollywood half of the park, these activities would involve clues that lead to props that reference those cartoon titles.

Oswald and Ortensia's Oceanic Odyssey is a 40 minute-long show where the two titular characters take a leisure cruise only to discover mystical and exotic locations, making new friends along the way.

Kotobuki Parade is a derby-race carousel located in the Japan Pavilion. Kotobuki is truly bizarre chimera, being a combination of all twelve animals of the Zodiac, with the ride vehicles being the individual animals of the Zodiac dressed ornately and inviting human riders to partake in the celebration.

Since Frontierland has no major draws, this would be the perfect place for Spirits of The Far West. This is a dark ride where guests board will board a horseless carriage brought to life by spirit guides as you venture from the ghost town that is Dry Gulch and set out on a hauntingly beautiful expedition to help bring peace to restless spirits with the help of the owl Hoot Gibson.

In place of Indiana Jones is Fire Mountain, a dueling roller coaster where riders choose to ride as two rival explorers who are in a race to discover the mountain's main diamond deposit first, only to enrage the spirits that call this mountain home and send riders hurling through haunted caverns and magma chambers.

Take the Eastern Star Railway from Harambe to the Gateway to the Red Sea, a brand new extension to Africa set in an Egyptian coastal village along the Red Sea. This land will include an aquarium with animals native to the Red Sea such lionfish and dugongs and a trail with North African animals such as camels and addaxes, as well as a splash pad, a terrain powered coaster themed to the North African Python and a Sky Fly themed to the Peregrine Falcon.

Located to the right of the Magic Kingdom's parking lot, Port Disney is the American take on Tokyo's DisneySea, with the park's icon being the towering Mt. Proteus. Making up the parks ports of call are, London Docklands (the entrance), Bucaneer Bay, San Francisco Wharf, Vulcania Base (in the center of the park), Nemo's Reef, Prehistoric Harbour (different from Dinoland USA as the prehistoric beasts are descendants of more familiar names such as Tyrannosaurus and Stegosaurus), Delta of the Red Dragon and Grecian Gulf.

As part of their Tomorrowland revamp, the Tomorrowland Peoplemover makes its way over to Tokyo Disneyland, curving high above the land's streets. The cars will be enclosed much like the old Disneyland counterpart and will go through many of the land's show buildings in an non-intrusive manner like the 2 US incarnations.

Celebrating Animal Kingdom's 30th anniversary, the Tree of Life is decorated with ornaments that represent animals real, ancient, and imagined. The animals that make up the roots and bark of the tree are also decorated in turquoise details.

Following the success of Coco, Santa Cecilia is built as this small but quaint mini-land with its highlight being Coco: Miguel's Musical Journey, a highly advanced suspended dark ride following the story of Coco. Additional offerings here include Riveria's Familia de Zapateros where authentic handcrafted shoes are made and Elena's, where Miguel's grandmother serves authentic Mexican homestyle meals.

Replacing the current JiI is a suspended dark ride called The Arts of Imagination. Three masters of the arts; one for the medium of musical art, the medium of visual arts, and the medium of written arts and all named after famous people who contributed to Disney's history; have come together to present the world with the intention of inspiring others to dream up wonderful ideas and enjoy the beauty of the human mind, with each room showcasing the majesty of each medium like never before.

Muppets Menagerie of Madness is a tea cups style ride where guests board boats destined to be loaded with Muppet-style creatures before chaos erupts when Bunsen's own experimental airship creates a storm within the storehouse!

Davy Crockett and the River Pirates is an indoor rapids ride that replaces the other half of the long abandoned Nature's Wonderland section where Bear Country and Cascade Peak used to be. This ride captures the thrills of Davy Crockett and Mike Fink's race off and their fight against the pirates, and as well would serve as an in-between for Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain/Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

Coming to Blizzard Beach is Glacial Gusher, a raft slider like Crush N' Gush. Complete with this version is an indoor cave portion where riders float past multicolored ice crystals before plunging down the final drop.

A new version of the Magic Bands that light up during in-sync with key visual moments during nighttime shows such as fireworks going off.

"Could you folks keep your eyes peeled for a red box of animal crackers? It was given to me as a promotion for not crashing the boat in... *notices the box, floating on a piece of ship wreckage surrounded by crocodiles.* Ah, now I just feel crumby inside."

Thunder Mesa Explorer can be best described as a Disney version of the Red Dead Redemption series. A combination of the cancelled Thunder Mesa complex, Big Thunder Mountain, and the original Rainbow Ridge area, this open world game follows Jason Chandler as he fights off against bandit gangs, explores the hidden Nature's Wonderland, and witnesses the fall of the Thunder Mesa Mining Company.

Lucky Dime Cafe is a retheme of the Existing Huey, Dewey, and Louie's Good Time Cafe to the 2017 series. Along the walls and shelves are mementos from some of the series' most well known and beloved (mis)adventures.

Sweet Rewards is a mini-golf course themed to Big Rock Candy Mountain. Putt your way around this sugary oasis to the Castle of the Chocolate Chili Cookie Countess.
And that's everything else complete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom