The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

Mr D

I wonder if Jebb Bush has considered "nuking" this beast....

There was actually a government study of that very sort and in the last year there was another method of "super saturating" if i recall correctly that would be a massive cloud seeding in front of the storm track to in effect cool it down.

This storm is in my guess going to take a sharp left turn and head to Houston.

Tim G

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=large>STORM STATUS</TD><TD class=small align=right>September 2, 5:26 AM EDT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Name: Hurricane Frances</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top>Location: About 35 miles, 60 km, north of mayaguana island in the bahamas. This is also about 520 miles, 835 km, East-Southeast of Palm Beach Florida.
Lat/Long: 22.9N, 73.0W
Max Winds: 145 mph
Category: 4
</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap>Heading: West-Northwest
Speed: 13 mph
Pressure: 27.64 inches
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2055Frances-05.gif

disnyfan89

on the news they just said the storm is bigger than Texas!!! My dad went and bought supplies yesterday so we are all set. You would be surprise to see how much a Sams club has left during a hurricane :lol:

barnum42

Hank Scorpio said:
When is this exactly going to hit?
I have a friend who is flying into Orlando on sunday. Will it have passed by then?
You have one here supposedly flying on Saturday ;)

I would anticipate a probable delay on Sunday flights, because if the flights out on Saturday are delayed (and this looks like it will be the case) then the return flights on Saturday evening will be delayed. The knock on is that the plane will not be back in time for the Sunday flight back to Orlando.

MrPodar

Pixie Duster said:
Unfortunetely I am not evacuating, we are bunkering down at my parents' house, at least that's the plan right now.
Hurricanes suck. :(

I actually have reservations for the Port Orleans French Quarter resort this weekend (Friday, Sept. 3 - Monday, Sept. 6, 2004) and I was going to surprise my girlfriend with dinner Friday night at the California Grill (atop the Contemporary Resort Hotel). :(

Even as I type this, I'm on hold with Walt Disney World Resort reservatiions (listening to Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious). I'm hoping I can shift my reservation to a different weekend before October.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

- Skip :(
Interlachen, FL

TURKEY

Squalls out on the gulf stream,
Big storms coming soon.
I passed out in my hammock,
God, I slept way past noon.
Stood up and tried to focus,
I hoped I wouldn't have to look far.
I knew I could use a Bloody Mary,
So I stumbled next door to the bar.

[Chorus:]
And now I must confess,
I could use some rest.
I can't run at this pace very long.
Yes, it's quite insane,
I think it hurts my brain.
But it cleans me out and then I can go on.

There's something about this Sunday
It's a most peculiar gray
Strolling down the avenue
That's known as A1A
I was feeling tired, then I got inspired.
And I knew that it wouldn't last long
So all alone I walked back home, sat on my beach
And then I made up this song.

[Chorus]

Well, the wind is blowin' harder now
Fifty knots of there abouts,
There's white caps on the ocean.
And I'm watching for water spouts
It's time to close the shutters
It's time to go inside.
In a week I'll be in gay Paris;
That's a mighty long airplane ride.

[Chorus]
Yes, It cleans me out and then I can go on.

JIMMY BUFFETT lyrics - "Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season"

chancellor

KevinPage said:
Can't those shlubs in Tampa get hit with this one? :D

Well, there are a few computer models that have the storm popping out over Tampa, but that would ruin our Hurricane teflon. :)

Seriously, though, I think just about everybody in the state is going to be affected by this thing one way or another. I'm fully expecting at least tropical storm, if not hurricane, conditions in Tampa late Saturday/early Sunday. My wife decided to take the kids up to her parents for the weekend, just to be safe. So I'll be riding out whatever we get by myself.

Yeah, almost all the gas in Pompano and Deerfield is out when I went out earlier. We still dont have our shutters up, or any supplies. Im hoping home depot gets some new lumber in soon, cause Im under a mandatory evacuation and I have to get out by tomorrow morning. There is no way Im leaving my house with no protection since Im kind of hoping to come back and it still be standing.

MrPodar

Skip's reservation follow up!

Well, it's not the dream weekend I had planned, but I guess it's close enough.

The folks at WDW Resort reservations let me shift my reservation from this weekend to the weekend of FRIDAY, SEPT 17 - SUNDAY, SEPT 19. My deposit for this Friday night was transferrable (thank heavens).

My Mom always says "the 3rd time is the charm". My first reservation was ironically for the weekend of August 13-15 (Hurricane Charley). So I switched that to this weekend, Sept 3-6 (Hurricane Frances). Gosh gumm it, I'm taking my girlfriend to Walt Disney World! Friday, Sept. 17th it is! :D

Oh, and they let me move my dinner reservation at the California Grill. Unfortunately, Wishes is at 8 PM that evening, however we might be able to view it from the roof of the Contemporary just before our reservation at 9 PM.

Ok, just wanted to give you all a report on how my planning went.

Oh, and here's a short list of all the music I heard while I was on hold (for 45 minutes) :) :

1. Bibbidy-bobbidy-boo (from Cinderella)
2. Bear Necessities (from The Jungle Book)
3. Beautiful Briny (from Bedknobs and Broomsticks)
4. M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E (from The Mickey Mouse Club)
5. Chim Chim Cheree (from Mary Poppins)
6. Winnie The Pooh (from Winnie The Pooh, of course!) :)
7. Supercalifragilisticexpialdocious (from Mary Poppins)

After about 20 minutes, I just turned on my speaker phone and cranked it up and had "free" Disney music in the office. I guess it wasn't really free due to the long distance charges. :)

Interestingly though, they did mention when I first called that all reservations had been filled (probably their way of saying, that "in light of the impending hurricane, they aren't taking any more reservations").

Oh well... hang in there guys. We'll make it through this. Off I go to by water, ice and gasoline. :)

skip-multiplicity7-magical.jpg

- Skip :)

Gail Hayden

Guess I am the "dumb" one here, I am flying in on Friday. Staying at OKW.
The hurricane has slowed down (not a lot) but, perhaps it will swing NNW (present course) and avoid FL all together while it is slow. Hope and faith spring eternal with me. :)
SWA anticipates flying on Friday.

MrPodar

Gail Hayden said:
Guess I am the "dumb" one here, I am flying in on Friday. Staying at OKW.
The hurricane has slowed down (not a lot) but, perhaps it will swing NNW (present course) and avoid FL all together while it is slow. Hope and faith spring eternal with me. :)
SWA anticipates flying on Friday.
I wouldn't say "dumb". I too was planning on being at WDW when the hurricane arrived. If you check out the Hurricane Charley threads, WDW has a very good Hurricane preparedness plan and everyone seemed to be safe and sound. In my situation though, I was also planning to attend a wedding in Orlando this Saturday. My friend who's getting married e-mailed me this morning saying that he's postponing the wedding, which now makes it MUCH more difficult for me to justify dragging my girlfriend away from her family during the storm. :(

Be aware though, once you're in FL, you might not be able to fly back home for a while, depending on the condition of the airport after the hurricane passes.

Be safe, ok?! :(

Hank Scorpio

Ok so the planes might be delayed on Sunday, but will the Hurricane have passed through by then, or will it still be hitting Orlando full force?

Gail Hayden

MrPodar said:
I wouldn't say "dumb". I too was planning on being at WDW when the hurricane arrived. If you check out the Hurricane Charley threads, WDW has a very good Hurricane preparedness plan and everyone seemed to be safe and sound. In my situation though, I was also planning to attend a wedding in Orlando this Saturday. My friend who's getting married e-mailed me this morning saying that he's postponing the wedding, which now makes it MUCH more difficult for me to justify dragging my girlfriend away from her family during the storm. :(

Be aware though, once you're in FL, you might not be able to fly back home for a while, depending on the condition of the airport after the hurricane passes.

Be safe, ok?! :(

Hi Skip,
Yes, I do plan on being safe!!! Thank you.
We were at WDW during Floyd and WDW is wonderful in their preps.
We are planning to be there for 10 days, so, I don't think that getting home will be an issue. In all honesty, I would rather be "stuck" in FL than here in CT, lol.
I wonder, however, if WDW ever loses power. Do they generate their own?

CrashNet

Look at this:

strm6_strike_720x486.jpg

Am I wrong, or is Francis looking to hit WDW head on? The only major hurricane I can think of that hit Florida when WDW was there was Andrew (please correct me if I'm wrong), but it really didn't hit WDW directly if I remember correctly. This one looks like it may hit WDW head on. I hope if it does that everyone and all of the animals in Animal Kingdom stay safe, and that WDW doesn't sustain much damage. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom