The Official 1971-1999 Picture Thread

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember watching the pylons being removed during our January/February 1993 trip. It was a sad day, but I also remember how excited I was at the updated Tomorrowland that was coming in '94.

Jan Feb 94 :wave:

The pylons were still intact through end of summer 93.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Jan Feb 94 :wave:

The pylons were still intact through end of summer 93.

We went in the winters of '92,'93, and '94 and I just guessed that it must have been '93. I just wished I'd taken pictures of them coming down. At that point in my life, we had two little girls and it seems the only pictures I took for a number of years, involve characters and my kids. What was I thinking? :hammer: Thanks for the clarification Martin! Right back at you :wave:

PS I really enjoyed all of the "pylons in motion" photos above. A Retro-Tomorrowland museum-style gallery, would make a great exhibit somewhere at WDW. Maybe some dead wall space at the Contemporary would do.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No worries. I visited summer 93 and wrote guest relations afterwards (on paper. Remember that?) about the state of Mission to Mars, and they informed me of the plans for 94.

I've video somewhere of the pylons coming down. Sad. I agree they'd be great in a new retro Tomorrowland. Like once planned.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No worries. I visited summer 93 and wrote guest relations afterwards (on paper. Remember that?) about the state of Mission to Mars, and they informed me of the plans for 94.

I've video somewhere of the pylons coming down. Sad. I agree they'd be great in a new retro Tomorrowland. Like once planned.
You will probably know the answer to this better than anyone, but has the removal of water features be due partly to conservation efforts as well as a continued drought in Florida? I am assuming that the #1 reason is that they are expensive and problematic to maintain.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You will probably know the answer to this better than anyone, but has the removal of water features be due partly to conservation efforts as well as a continued drought in Florida? I am assuming that the #1 reason is that they are expensive and problematic to maintain.

Well, not anyone :D but all I've heard is mainly due to cost.

UPbeekeeper

Am I the only one who scrutinizes every face in the crowd in these old pics, hoping to catch a glimpse of myself and my family? How amazing would it be to find yourself? My Father passed away in 2002 and he started my love for Disney. It would be a gift of unimaginable levels if I ever find him in one of these pics. I know I have about as much chance of that as I do of winning the lottery, but finding that pic would mean more to me than any lottery win.

Disnut

Am I the only one who scrutinizes every face in the crowd in these old pics, hoping to catch a glimpse of myself and my family? How amazing would it be to find yourself? My Father passed away in 2002 and he started my love for Disney. It would be a gift of unimaginable levels if I ever find him in one of these pics. I know I have about as much chance of that as I do of winning the lottery, but finding that pic would mean more to me than any lottery win.
I have been looking for my family also. LOL.

I_heart_Tigger

Same story here right down to my Dad starting my love for Disney...he passed in '96, just a few days before I moved to Disney to start working there. I've been scanning the pics for our family as well. You're not alone

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
steve2wdw - Thanks for the awesome pics! I can't believe how many memories are coming back from just seeing some of the sights in these photos.

Am I the only one who scrutinizes every face in the crowd in these old pics, hoping to catch a glimpse of myself and my family? .

NOPE! Me too. It would be amazing wouldn't it? Like you said though you have a better chance of winning lotto..hehehehe....

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I agree, like that story a few years ago where a married couple were looking through their old Disney photos and found that they were BOTH in the same picture, years before they had ever met.

I don't have the story now, but maybe someone else can post it, if they have a link.

Minnie1976

I am really enjoying all the pictures that have recently appeared on this thread of the MK. I've really enjoyed the Tomorrowland pictures since I don't really have any old ones. Thanks for sharing! These pictures are really bringing back memories. As time goes on I tend to forget how areas looked back in the 70's and 80's. I do remember I wasn't excited about the new Tomorrowland look. It was great seeing the Skyway. I really miss that attraction and also 20,000 Leagues. It was a beautiful area.

MissM

I agree, like that story a few years ago where a married couple were looking through their old Disney photos and found that they were BOTH in the same picture, years before they had ever met.

I don't have the story now, but maybe someone else can post it, if they have a link.
Oh yeah, that was great! Here's a link: http://www.neatorama.com/2010/06/13...ried-couple-on-film-15-years-before-they-met/ And another: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...over-paths-crossed-Disney-World-toddlers.html

Minnie1976

19840306WDCrystalPalaceScan2322.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom