august_1978.jpg

TLand_spire_fountain_CUweb1.jpg

Between77-80b.jpg

524067715_d237d823fe_o.jpg

428650442_ffbbfc977c_o.jpg

Tland_pylon_and_fountains_entrance.jpg

Between77-80a.jpg

The Empress Lilly

I tell you, if these pylons and fountains had been build in a central plaza in New York or Chicago, they would by now be considered a top-ten postwar monument in either city, fully protected.

They are that good. What a grandiose entrance, what splendour!

To think people look at me funny when I say that Paris and Anaheim have got nothing on the MK. Yes, they do now, now that the MK has Pixarland Space Port for Tomorrowland. Now Paris' ugly Discoveryland beats ours.
But return TL to it's authentic 1970s look - which by now is no longer outdated but brilliantly retro! - and the MK is instantly the world's greatest park again.

Rescue Ranger

Breaks my heart to see those gone.....its like we were more advanced way back then than we are now. Those are amazing. They do look like something out of Mass Effect.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I remember watching the pylons being removed during our January/February 1993 trip. It was a sad day, but I also remember how excited I was at the updated Tomorrowland that was coming in '94.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
A few days ago I posted some '70's pictures of a trip aboard the Skyway to Fantasyland. I believe my last photo was of Space Mountain (from the Skyway). Here's a continuation of the trip.

We've made the turn and are heading over Fantasyland now...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Our Skyway journey is just about over....one last look back, before we disembark at the Fantasyland station.

picture.php

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
How about some Fantasyland pictures, featuring 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

Here's one of the queue....

picture.php

Another of the entrance. Note that it's closed for rehab...

picture.php

The rehab from above....

picture.php

Directly across from 20,000 Leagues was my favorite Fantasyland attraction...

picture.php

And another shot of Toad with the Mad Tea Party and Space Mt in the backround...

picture.php

The Fantasyland west end...

picture.php

Gotta love the Small World CM costumes, and the "old style" strollers...

picture.php

Note the old Troubadour Tavern next to Peter Pan. It's a FastPass distribution point now.

picture.php

The old "rising" stage at Fantasy Faire...

picture.php

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Moving on to Frontierland...I believe these were all taken in February of '76, '77,'78 or '79...

The entrance to Frontierland, with the "little Mississippi" under the entrance bridge, and the Shootin' Gallery. Notice the absence of the Frontierland boardwalk.

picture.php

The Country Bear Jamboree, sponsored by Pepsi! Notice the huge line to see the Bears!

picture.php

The Mile Long Bar (now Pecos Bill's Cafe)....remember how there were mirrors placed on each end of the bar, so that when you looked left or right, it gave the impression that the bar went on for miles....Also, the line for the Country Bears is on the porch and into the area that is now a candy store. Boy, those Bears were popular....

picture.php

The old entrance to Pecos Bill's...there is indoor seating here now...

picture.php

The Diamond Horseshow Saloon....pre boardwalk....

picture.php

A HUGE line for the Diamond Horseshoe. Everyone in line had reservations, which were acquired at a podium in front of the saloon, first thing in the morning. At rope drop, the group running towards the Diamond Horseshoe rivalled that of the group heading to Space Mountain.

picture.php

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Retro Adventureland (late 70's)....

No Aladdin spinner....

picture.php

Sunshine Pavillion with the water feature...

picture.php

Another picture of the Sunshine Tree Terrace, way before Aladdin...

picture.php

A few of Liberty Square...

The original Concord Bridge, into Liberty Square....

picture.php

Son's and Daughter's of Liberty presentation, featuring the Fife and Drum Corp...

picture.php

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
For you rabid Tomorrowland fanatics, here's a picture of the "original" Tomorrowland stage. This is also from the late '70's....

picture.php

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Here's an old Magic Kingdom map. Sorry for the checkmarks, but my sister and I wanted to make sure we'd experienced all the magic that the MK had to offer!

picture.php

Here's another piece of ephemera from '76....

picture.php

How about some Main Street USA shots?

Here's one from the train platform. Town Square certainly had more atmosphere back in '76. Benches! Nice big trees, and even a bigger planter around the flagpole....

picture.php

Now for the same shot, at night....with some pretty big crowds on the street...

picture.php

And now a quick dash to the Hub...looking back down Main Street. Oh....the trees!

picture.php

Is this the Pearly Band? Well, whoever they are, they're on West Center Street in the Flower Market, another lost treasure of the early MK....

picture.php

Deeper into West Center Street, smell the plastic flowers....

picture.php

The entrance to the Walt Disney Story, a shame that it doesn't exist in the MK anymore. At least DHS has One Man's Dream!

picture.php

The character mural, located between the entrances of the "twin" theatres of the Walt Disney Story. Do we know if it's still intact somewhere? I've lost track of its existance....

picture.php

A nice overview of the Gulf Hospitality House, now the Main Street Theatre...I like the Omnibus in the foreground....

picture.php

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
The Hallmark Shop and the Emporium, on the corners of West Center Street...

picture.php

Let's cross the street and head into the New Century Clock Shop on the corner of East Center Street. I believe this is Crystal Arts now....

picture.php

And for a few stragglers that got left behind...

An overview of the Rivers of America with a Keel Boat in operation...

picture.php

The Empress Lilly under construction at what was then known as the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village...I see Bob-A-Rounds at the dock!

picture.php

I'll be back soon with more photos....I've got two or three more photo albums to go through. Somewhere I've got pics of America on Parade and also the very early Main Street Electrical Parade!

The Empress Lilly

Wow, Steve, that was one of the greatest collections of vintage WDW I've seen! I am going to take these pictures, and smite with them anybody who defies me when I argue that pre-vandal MK is the greatest theme park ever build.

Some of your pictures are from 1980 - Thunder is rearing its pretty head above the canopy.

Also, you are now my new God
anbet2.gif
:
The Empress Lilly under construction at what was then known as the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village...I see Bob-A-Rounds at the dock!

picture.php

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Wow, Steve, that was one of the greatest collections of vintage WDW I've seen! I am going to take these pictures, and smite with them anybody who defies me when I argue that pre-vandal MK is the greatest theme park ever build.

Some of your pictures are from 1980 - Thunder is rearing its pretty head above the canopy.

Also, you are now my new God
anbet2.gif
:

Empress....you are quite right about Thunder. I didn't realize that I had inadvertantly mixed some photos. The 70's and 80's shouldn't be co-mingling in my opinion. Needless to say, I've got many more photos (from both the 70's and 80's) to scan and will post when time permits. So happy that you've enjoyed what I've posted so far.

PS I really miss the paddle wheel on the Empress...it just looks wrong now.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Found a few more on my computer that I thought I'd share....

Here's the Contemporary from Seven Seas without the Convention Center....ain't she pretty?

picture.php

I had this labelled as "if you had wings", so I didn't really look at it (cause I'd already posted one of IYHW), but it's really Mission to Mars! I've seen very few pics of the entrance of either Flight to the Moon, or Mission to Mars from this angle!

picture.php

And one more, full of pylon goodness, from the center of the hub!

picture.php

I'm pretty sure the preceeding three pictures were from February of '79. I remember it being really cold that year, and we stayed in the old RV's at Ft Wilderness that year, hence the picture of the Contemporary from the boat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom