The Official 1971-1999 Picture Thread

Minnie1976

1976 or 1977
197710DwMainStStore-Copy.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I miss the old Main St. Cinema! Widh they would bring it back Main St. does not need another store.

It's still there, though greatly reduced...it's at the back of the art gallery. My kid loves to plop down there...and it's hard to get her out (as it was hard to get me out of there when I was her age!)

NiarrNDisney

It's still there, though greatly reduced...it's at the back of the art gallery. My kid loves to plop down there...and it's hard to get her out (as it was hard to get me out of there when I was her age!)

Oh yeah I know but now it has lost all of its theater appeal now that seating is gone and its ope to the shopping traffic.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh yeah I know but now it has lost all of its theater appeal now that seating is gone and its ope to the shopping traffic.

Agreed. I remember my Grandfather trying to rip me out of that place...I could sit there all day and watch old cartoons...

I smile every time I run into that with my kid there...but, agreed, it is not what it was. Now it's a shop with a theatre.

Reade's Dad

This isn't my own picture and I know a lot of people hated it, but I thought the 1997 25th anniversary castle cake was AWESOME! I really wanted to go see it, but we opted to wait a year so we could experience Animal Kingdom. I wouldn't mind at all if they did something like this again!

4b.jpg
I did get to see this and I agree, I thought it was unbelievable! I don't understand the reason as to why people hated it? I thought it was creative and over the top..what I expect from Disney....would love to see them do something as grand as this again!

Goofyernmost

4b.jpg

I did get to see this and I agree, I thought it was unbelievable! I don't understand the reason as to why people hated it? I thought it was creative and over the top..what I expect from Disney....would love to see them do something as grand as this again!
Sadly, the complainers have won and in the process we have all lost something. We lost Disney's motivation to do something spectacular. This one must have cost Disney 100's of thousands of dollars just for the 25th Anniversary. I thought it was incredible. What a creative design, what a jaw dropper.

The argument was that people have come here and were disappointed that they didn't see the actual castle. These are the same people that are all breathless about those cardboard overlays on HM and Small World for seasonal changes. Well, I say the same thing that they do when justifying changing it. If someone wants to see the original all they have to do is come back at another time. In the mean time there are plenty of pictures of it to look at. We wonder why there is no more imagination and creativity coming out of Disney. Somebody was very excited about the castle cake and rightly so...it was stupendous. All they got out of it was grief. They want the parks to be fresh and vigorous just as long as they don't change anything to achieve that goal. Can't be done.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
4b.jpg

Sadly, the complainers have won and in the process we have all lost something. We lost Disney's motivation to do something spectacular. This one must have cost Disney 100's of thousands of dollars just for the 25th Anniversary. I thought it was incredible. What a creative design, what a jaw dropper.

The argument was that people have come here and were disappointed that they didn't see the actual castle. These are the same people that are all breathless about those cardboard overlays on HM and Small World for seasonal changes. Well, I say the same thing that they do when justifying changing it. If someone wants to see the original all they have to do is come back at another time. In the mean time there are plenty of pictures of it to look at. We wonder why there is no more imagination and creativity coming out of Disney. Somebody was very excited about the castle cake and rightly so...it was stupendous. All they got out of it was grief. They want the parks to be fresh and vigorous just as long as they don't change anything to achieve that goal. Can't be done.

It was unique.

But, it was ugly, and a bad decision. Doing an overlay on a side ride is fun, and unique. Completely revamping the primary symbol, the iconic symbol, of Disney...into a giant birthday cake...is not.

I will never forget when my kid first saw the castle...

She screamed (from the TTC, I wanted to take the ferry in for old times sake)...Daddy, look, it's the MAGIC CASTLE!

I don't see her screaming "Daddy, look, a huge birthday cake!"

It's the icon of the park, one that is visible from all parts of the park, and should be left along (with respect to major wraps like that)...

Then there is the "pretend" aspect which is key...as you enter Fantasyland, you do that through a garish cake, not an unmatched and iconic Castle?

I appreciate the work that was done on it, and I think it was done well...but I will always think it was a stupid idea.

Goofyernmost

So annoying lol. The only thing I can understand was that a lot of people cancelled their wedding at Disney that year bc they wanted the actual castle in the background, not a big pink cake - I can totally see that. Oh well.
I agree that it would be a deal breaker for a wedding, even though many of us managed to get married and stay that way for quite a while without the benefit of a castle. Still, I can understand that, however, the question is two fold. The first being, should someone feel that they can rely on a theme park to be exactly what they want it to be at all times? And Second, even if it is a personal disappointment does that mean that the creativity isn't there, that the sheer being of it is not awe inspiring? Who else would have had the imagination and willingness to pull off such a major endeavor just for our entertainment. Yes, the fake castle was covered over by a fake cake. It wasn't going to last forever, it was meant to be light hearted and celebratory, yet so many couldn't be flexible enough to see it for what it was. A fun thing at a fun theme park. We all take our Disney, way to seriously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom