The "Not So" Grand Floridian

Tigerdaly

I have just been reading around the posts over the last few days and I saw someone mention the Grand Floridian has been down graded on its star rating.
Has something happened to cause this ? Has Disney intentionally let this happen or has it always been teetering on the edge and now fallen now its aging.
I was looking to book this hotel next year however I'd hate to put my money into a failing resort when there are so many other beautiful ones about.

Tigerdaly

Original Poster
You dont think that it might be a Disney driven rating reduction to try and help Four Seasons when it opens.
If the GF stayed up there as the resorts top hotel then the Four Seasons gang would have to up the ante a bit to try and get top spot........all costing precious wonga.
De-rate you top resort would be a nice intro for the new guys.

Upvote 0
The rating is not important to me but the prices for rooms do.Im a DVC member so staying on-site will not ever change but for those who do have to pay it's getting harder.When will they price you out of staying on-site?
With the four seasons coming the prices will sky rocket.Lets worry about how they stop those who are on the fence with being able to afford a Disney trip istead of a rating that has no meaning at all.
tiggerguy

Upvote 0

head mouse

Probably service. The Disney "Deluxe" hotels do NOT measure up to the standards on the service/amenities side. The theory on "swmsuits" etc might explain a failure to receive a five star. Failure to provide the acceptable service levels will dump them to a 3 star and I think that's what has happened.

The thing to realize that with Disney you are paying DRAMATIC amounts for LOCATION. Compare the pricing at the GF to the pricing of the Ritz Carlton in Orlando. Generally the GF is MUCH more costly. I have stayed at both. NO COMPARISON, service, room quality, amenities etc. win hands down at the Ritz. The only positive on the GF side would be the location. IMHO Disney has reached the rip off stage with the Deluxe resorts and I won't pay them those prices anymore. The Ritz generally gets a four star....

If you read standards for rankings and compare them to the GF, I think you will find it's service. (or the lack thereof!)

You hit the nail on the head. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

maharet97a

I can't see it as being a Disney driven thing. They would eventually have to lower their prices to coincide with the reduction in status. From my way of thinking anyway.

And they're pretty much getting there with keeping families like mine from staying on site. At $120 a night for value resorts during peak season, it's getting rediculous. I can stay for $50 offsite or $80 at Shades of Green (which is moderate/deluxe equ.). And the only benifit we're really getting by staying on site most of the year is EMH (which I get at SOG), and if I'm paying less for my room, I can afford to stay longer and spend more time doing the parks at a slower pace. Some of the promotional packages through out the year are good deals, but they don't always work out best for every family. But then you've also got the Swan and Dolphin with their promotional packages that are putting people in a Deluxe hotel with on site benifits for around that same $120.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

I can't see it as being a Disney driven thing. They would eventually have to lower their prices to coincide with the reduction in status. From my way of thinking anyway.

And they're pretty much getting there with keeping families like mine from staying on site. At $120 a night for value resorts during peak season, it's getting rediculous. I can stay for $50 offsite or $80 at Shades of Green (which is moderate/deluxe equ.). And the only benifit we're really getting by staying on site most of the year is EMH (which I get at SOG), and if I'm paying less for my room, I can afford to stay longer and spend more time doing the parks at a slower pace. Some of the promotional packages through out the year are good deals, but they don't always work out best for every family. But then you've also got the Swan and Dolphin with their promotional packages that are putting people in a Deluxe hotel with on site benifits for around that same $120.

I agree!:animwink:

Upvote 0

fizzle75

I have never stayed at The Grand Floridian so I really have no business commenting but all I will say is that this past Christmas my wife and I spent several hours wandering around the GF and we thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Regardless of a ratings drop we still would love to stay there one day but 1. We can't afford it 2. Staying at GF would totally chew up our DVC points.

Hopefully someday...*sighs*:( .

Upvote 0

scpergj

I can't tell you why the GF was lowered to a 3 star...or even how or whom (other than AAA as stated earlier, with their diamonds) rates hotels. I've seen some good responses here, but would like more information...like who actually is rating them, and which companies rating dropped.

Kevin

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

The rating is not important to me but the prices for rooms do.Im a DVC member so staying on-site will not ever change but for those who do have to pay it's getting harder.When will they price you out of staying on-site?
With the four seasons coming the prices will sky rocket.Lets worry about how they stop those who are on the fence with being able to afford a Disney trip istead of a rating that has no meaning at all.
tiggerguy

I'm not sure the Four Seasons will have an impact on the price of rooms one way or the other. Prices will keep going up as they have. The Four Seasons seems like an attempt to sway people who normally would never stay on-site to do so, whether it's because they're all highfalutin' and fancy-schmancy (sp?) :D OR whether they're looking for a less kid-friendly, more-adult-but-not-Hedonism vibe. If anything, having Four Seasons on site might better stabilize Disney Deluxe Resort rates for a year or so, as people who may have stayed at the highest-end resorts but were still used to even better service/more pomp & extravagance will have another option. For a lot of people, the Disney "magic" is a nice way of saying "fake" (I am not one of those people, BTW). To them, Disney Deluxe resorts are "adequate" resorts made up to look like extravagant resorts to the Joe Six-Pack who wouldn't know a REALLY nice resort. And the truly discerning guest know when they're getting less then they deserve and blah de blah blah blah... Again, it's a perception, and one that might not jibe with reality. Perhaps Disney Deluxes are just as nice, if not nicer, than the absolute best resorts on Earth, but the hoi polloi have a bias against anything as gauche as Disney.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
The GF is currently listed as a 4 diamond on AAA. The following information was taken from their site.

What the Hotel Ratings Mean
One Diamond
These establishments typically appeal to the budget-minded traveler. They provide essential, no-frills accommodations. They meet the basic requirements pertaining to comfort, cleanliness, and hospitality.

Two Diamond
These establishments appeal to the traveler seeking more than the basic accommodations. There are modest enhancements to the overall physical attributes, design elements, and amenities of the facility typically at a moderate price.

Three Diamond
These establishments appeal to the traveler with comprehensive needs. Properties are multifaceted with a distinguished style, including marked upgrades in the quality of physical attributes, amenities, and level of comfort provided.

Four Diamond
These establishments are upscale in all areas. Accommodations are progressively more refined and stylish. The physical attributes reflect an obvious enhanced level of quality throughout. The fundamental hallmarks at this level include an extensive array of amenities combined with a high degree of hospitality, service, and attention to detail.

Five Diamond
These establishments reflect the characteristics of the ultimate in luxury and sophistication. Accommodations are first class. The physical attributes are extraordinary in every manner. The fundamental hallmarks at this level are to meticulously serve and exceed all guest expectations while maintaining an impeccable standard of excellence. Many personalized services and amenities enhance an unmatched level of comfort.

Upvote 0

shanny

Probably service. The Disney "Deluxe" hotels do NOT measure up to the standards on the service/amenities side. The theory on "swmsuits" etc might explain a failure to receive a five star. Failure to provide the acceptable service levels will dump them to a 3 star and I think that's what has happened.

The thing to realize that with Disney you are paying DRAMATIC amounts for LOCATION. Compare the pricing at the GF to the pricing of the Ritz Carlton in Orlando. Generally the GF is MUCH more costly. I have stayed at both. NO COMPARISON, service, room quality, amenities etc. win hands down at the Ritz. The only positive on the GF side would be the location. IMHO Disney has reached the rip off stage with the Deluxe resorts and I won't pay them those prices anymore. The Ritz generally gets a four star....

If you read standards for rankings and compare them to the GF, I think you will find it's service. (or the lack thereof!)

the theory on swimsuits? am i going to have a dress code if i stay at a disney resort?? not that ill be wearing a skimpy tiny little thong suit...but still?

Upvote 0

cooleo

Stayed @ the Grand Floridian once & I won't do it again. I understand some people like the extra luxury & location. I howerver felt it was extremely overrated. I'll stick with my moderate resorts. I sleep just as well, get all the service I need & spend alot less money.

Upvote 0

CBOMB

Why spend a fortune on a place to sleep and store your clothes. Money that could be better spent on beer.

Most of the ratings are pants anyway, when I go into a room I dont get the tape measure out. If its clean and tidy and the electrics work thatll do for me.
A very wise, and sensible use of your money.

Upvote 0

CTXRover

I had picked up a AAA brocure at my local travel office and was surprised and disheartened to see a number of Disney hotel's ratings had dropped in that book. I did a search and found this thread that I hadn't seen before concerning this subject. However, looking at AAA's website this evening, I was comforted to know that a few also received an upgrade and there was obviously a well thought out reasoning to some of the changes.

Of note, all of the value resorts have been downgraded from 3 diamond resorts to 2 diamond resorts. Honestly, if they rate the moderates and even some of the deluxes 3 diamonds, the values are surely not of the same level of service or attention to detail both inside and outside the rooms, so that rating is fair in my opinion for what you get at the values. I never felt that Animal Kingdom Lodge and the All Stars were ever in the same league to both be considered 3 diamond resorts as they had been last year.

I was very surprised though to see that the Boardwalk, the Boardwalk Villas and the Beach Club Villas were downgraded from four diamond resorts to three diamond resorts. I've always felt these continue to offer a four diamond experience, but obviously AAA didn't and hopefully this scares Disney into fixing whatever went wrong there.

Proof that changes and improvements make a difference, I was excited to see the refurbishments of the Polynesian and Contemporary was recognized by AAA as both these resorts were awarded a Four Diamond award this year, up from three diamonds as they have been for several years.

Current AAA ratings:

The following are now considered Four Diamond Resorts after AAA's latest review: Grand Floridian, Contemporary (an upgrade), Polynesian (an upgrade), Beach Club and Yacht Club.

The following are Three Diamond Resorts: Port Orleans, Coronado, Caribbean Beach, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk (a downgrade), Boardwalk Villas (a downgrade) and Beach Club Villas (a downgrade).

The following are Two Diamond Resorts (all of which are a downgrade): All Star Music, Movies, and Sports, Pop Century

Upvote 0

CTXRover

One addition to the original question asked in this thread:

It does not appear that AAA downgraded the Grand Floridian. There are a number of other ratings out there, but I usually go by AAA. However, I'm not sure which company, if any, downgraded the Grand Floridian this year. I have seen several instances over the past few years though that some believe the Grand FLoridian had been downgraded becuase one rating system rated them as a "3 star" and the assumption was that the GF has always been a 4 star hotel. In those cases though and for that particualr rating system, the GF had actually been a 3 star hotel for several years.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom