The New Fantasyland

It is funny you mention that... I thought the same exact thing... But every time I look at it, my mind plays tricks on me and I see something different...

I wish it did - I'd love an Alice mini-land - but I don't think it does...the last letter is definitely an E but I don't think there's enough space in there for SHIR to be in there before the prior E.

Brian Noble

What in the blueprints suggests to you this will be a "deeply themed" "attention to detail up the wazoo environment" ?

Not the blueprints. What people with very good credibility--and several of them--are saying, and more importantly, how they are saying it. Including..
I'm glad Lee is finally coming out and saying it like it is and I fully expect more people to back him up.

I could be wrong. But, let's assume that the choice is L0TZ OF R!DEZ or a deeply themed environment with a well-executed attraction and a surprise along the way---not that I'm biasing the pick, or anything.

Captain Chaos

I wish it did - I'd love an Alice mini-land - but I don't think it does...the last letter is definitely an E but I don't think there's enough space in there for SHIR to be in there before the prior E.

That is what is driving me nuts...

What it looks like to me:

HERSE?
VERSE?
MERSE?

MERF!!!! MERF COASTER!! LoL..

Either way, I can make out an ERSE... Just cannot make out the letter or letters before the first E...

krankenstein

You mean this Dumbo? :animwink:

topidumbo.jpg

He has had a facelift since that photo was taken...

Just sayin... :lookaroun

Scar Junior

Since we're on the topic of intriguing words on the blueprint... I am very interested in the "NEXTGEN INTERACTIVE QUEUE."

Perhaps if it's a success we'll be seeing more of this style queue popping up across the parks. Wonder what it entails?

justdru

That is what is driving me nuts...

What it looks like to me:

HERSE?
VERSE?
MERSE?

Really, I think it's mostly a moot point. If these are to be the blueprints for what Fantasyland will become it's likely a technical term we're not going to recognize. The blueprint clearly states that the attraction there is Barnstormer so unless they plan on putting something on stilts above it... well... I don't think the word is anything in development?

EPCOTPluto

Since we're on the topic of intriguing words on the blueprint... I am very interested in the "NEXTGEN INTERACTIVE QUEUE."

Perhaps if it's a success we'll be seeing more of this style queue popping up across the parks. Wonder what it entails?
Something tells me an advanced version of the Soarin' queue...

The Conundrum

It's a great plan and very well thought out. I'll bet money the folks at Uni are not happy and for good reason. They should be worried.

I just looked at the box office sales data and it looks like Harry Potter has once again blown the doors off anything Disney has released lately (in both live action and animation including pixar). Harry Potter 6 made more money in one day than Up managed to make in a week :lol:.

CTXRover

I just looked at the box office sales data and it looks like Harry Potter has once again blown the doors off anything Disney has released lately (in both live action and animation including pixar). Harry Potter 6 made more money in one day than Up managed to make in a week :lol:.

I realize that you are trying to illustrate the popularity of harry potter and thus the popularity one would assume WWOHP will receive, which I won't dispute. I do want to correct your statements though:

The following are facts:
Pirates: Dead Men's Chest from 2006 opened with 55.8 million in 2006, pretty comparable to HP's opening day of 58.1 million, although realizing this was on a Wednesday. Either way, far from "blowing the doors off" anything Disney has released lately. In fact, Pirates DMC remains the third highest grossing film worldwide of all time, and only one of 4 films to ever cross 1 billion dollars (no HP film has done this). Putting aside the merits of that particular film, Pirates DMC remains more popular of a film than any Harry Potter film domestically or worldwide to date. That said, I don't know how much impact the popularity of those films translated into attendance at the parks.....

Also, Up actually made 93 million in its first week. Sorry to burst your bubble that HP 6 "made more money in one day" than Up did in its first week. In fact, Up is this summer's second best film to date behind only Transformers in terms of box office receipts (although I believe HP will end higher in the end). Up is also Pixar's second highest grossing film behind only Nemo.

Source: boxofficemojo.com

Of course it did, it's a once in a generation phenomenon, comperable to Star Wars in the late 70's/ early 80's. The next two movies based on the last book will probably bank even higher than this one. The problem Uni will find out is it is a one trick pony. The books are complete, and after 2011 so are the movies. You can only mine so many ideas from the material. By 2012 all the tweens will have moved on to Twilight and the next big thing after it, where as most of the Disney Animation canon is timeless and still able to draw a crowd years later. Here are characters that are still fresh 20 to 50 years after their original marketing. Do you think Potter will still be relevent in 2015, let alone 2020?

One could argue that this expansion is Disney cashing in on children love of the Princess craze, but Uni is trying the same with HP; only doing it after the ship has sailed.

CTXRover

I am eager to see how much or what exactly will come of these plans. From the talk here and elsewhere, I imagine something is on the horizon for the MK and FL, which makes me very excited. I have no comment or conjecture on those plans until something official is announced, but I am cautiously very optimisitc that some exciting is on the way.

Isn't TSM an interactive queue, with Mr. Potatohead interacting with everyone as you pass?

Perhaps the queue will have the blackbirds singing a little "When I See an Elephant Fly" while interacting with people, or have a circus tent atmosphere with AA animals...

disnyfan89

Of course it did, it's a once in a generation phenomenon, comperable to Star Wars in the late 70's/ early 80's. The next two movies based on the last book will probably bank even higher than this one. The problem Uni will find out is it is a one trick pony. The books are complete, and after 2011 so are the movies. You can only mine so many ideas from the material. By 2012 all the tweens will have moved on to Twilight and the next big thing after it, where as most of the Disney Animation canon is timeless and still able to draw a crowd years later. Here are characters that are still fresh 20 to 50 years after their original marketing. Do you think Potter will still be relevent in 2015, let alone 2020?

One could argue that this expansion is Disney cashing in on children love of the Princess craze, but Uni is trying the same with HP; only doing it after the ship has sailed.
OT I know but, I really hate when individuals compare Disney Classics like Mickey Mouse to new characters and trends. Whose to say that Harry Potter or HSM or anyother current fad wont stick around? When Disney first started talking about his "Mickey Mouse Park" no one thought it would last and today it's been around for 54 years. Also many of the Disney classic we think of today (Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Fantasia, etc...) were total box office failures when they first premiered. No one can predict what in today's current climate will be around for generations to come. One can guess and predict but the failures of today could be classics of tomorrow.

Horizonsfan

Of course it did, it's a once in a generation phenomenon, comperable to Star Wars in the late 70's/ early 80's. The next two movies based on the last book will probably bank even higher than this one. The problem Uni will find out is it is a one trick pony. The books are complete, and after 2011 so are the movies. You can only mine so many ideas from the material. By 2012 all the tweens will have moved on to Twilight and the next big thing after it, where as most of the Disney Animation canon is timeless and still able to draw a crowd years later. Here are characters that are still fresh 20 to 50 years after their original marketing. Do you think Potter will still be relevant in 2015, let alone 2020?

To say that HP is nothing more than a fad is a gross exaggeration. It's no more of a fad than Star Wars or Indy. While it may not be as long in the tooth, you can't deny that these three "universes" share a lot of good story qualities and still have a strong following. Twilight is a fad, HP isn't. While it might not transfer into equal theme park success (though it seems very unlikely to fail) the strength of the actual books and movies cannot just be brushed aside as a fad.

And to throw in a little blasphemy, HP is 20X better than the Chronicles of Narnia.:drevil:

going2oahu

Isn't TSM an interactive queue, with Mr. Potatohead interacting with everyone as you pass?

Perhaps the queue will have the blackbirds singing a little "When I See an Elephant Fly" while interacting with people, or have a circus tent atmosphere with AA animals...

lol could be! Can anyone who’s watched more of these construction/change plans get implemented at WDW give us an idea how long this would take to complete and how much of the existing Fantasyland would be closed off during that time?

The Conundrum

I realize that you are trying to illustrate the popularity of harry potter and thus the popularity one would assume WWOHP will receive, which I won't dispute. I do want to correct your statements though:

The following are facts:
Pirates: Dead Men's Chest from 2006 opened with 55.8 million in 2006, pretty comparable to HP's opening day of 58.1 million, although realizing this was on a Wednesday. Either way, far from "blowing the doors off" anything Disney has released lately. In fact, Pirates DMC remains the third highest grossing film worldwide of all time, and only one of 4 films to ever cross 1 billion dollars (no HP film has done this). Putting aside the merits of that particular film, Pirates DMC remains more popular of a film than any Harry Potter film domestically or worldwide to date. That said, I don't know how much impact the popularity of those films translated into attendance at the parks.....

Also, Up actually made 93 million in its first week. Sorry to burst your bubble that HP 6 "made more money in one day" than Up did in its first week. In fact, Up is this summer's second best film to date behind only Transformers in terms of box office receipts (although I believe HP will end higher in the end). Up is also Pixar's second highest grossing film behind only Nemo.

Source: boxofficemojo.com

Pirates is old news I clearly said "anything disney has made lately".

also:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince had an opening day fit for a king. On Wednesday, the sixth entry in the blockbuster franchise conjured $58.2 million on nearly 10,000 screens at 4,275 sites. That ranked as the second-biggest Wednesday ever behind Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen's $62 million, and fourth-biggest among all opening days.

And to throw in a little blasphemy, HP is 20X better than the Chronicles of Narnia.

HP is better than Narnia however Narnia could have been MUCH better right up there with HP and LOTR but as usual Bob Iger and ________ Cook had no idea what the hell they were doing. The Narnia films, like LOTR, are much better suited for the holidays. The first film was a big blockbuster even beating out the much hyped/anticipated King Kong which opened a week later but Disney like idiots pitted the more obscure sequel against Iron Man, The Dark Knight (w/ledger hype), and Indiana Jones. yea real smart. Then when it didn't do as well as they hoped they got cold feet and scrapped the series instead of just learning from the mistake and releasing the third in the holidays when there is less intense competition.

Rob562

2. what is the small maze-like area just south of "ariel meet & greet"?

That's the actual Ariel Meet n Greet. Where the text says "Ariel Meet & Greet" is within the LM ride building. I presume they put the text there so as not to obscure the actual M&G layout. The maze is the queue for the M&G, with there being two mirrored M&G areas. (I presume that it'll be indoors, but it might be outside with enough masking from the walkway)

The queue would end in the middle, and then the CM working the line would send people to alternating sides, where they meet Ariel in the large open areas with faint objects drawn in them (rock for her to sit on? Throne?) And if you look at how the walkways are designed with sharp turns, you wouldn't be able to see one area from the other. You'd then exit out to the front by where you came in.

The rectangular box in the middle would be the CM dressing/break room.

-Rob

The Conundrum

Of course it will be relevent it did for books what Star Wars did for movies and Michael Jackson did for music. You think J.K.Rowling or her estate will never go back to potter? You think they will never ever remake these films in the future or make spinoffs?

and yet this theory is invalid for the simple fact that Star Tours and Indiana Jones Adventure are still two of the most popular attractions at Disneyland and merchandise is still flying off the shelves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom