The New Fantasyland

To say that HP is nothing more than a fad is a gross exaggeration. It's no more of a fad than Star Wars or Indy. While it may not be as long in the tooth, you can't deny that these three "universes" share a lot of good story qualities and still have a strong following. Twilight is a fad, HP isn't. While it might not transfer into equal theme park success (though it seems very unlikely to fail) the strength of the actual books and movies cannot just be brushed aside as a fad.

And to throw in a little blasphemy, HP is 20X better than the Chronicles of Narnia.:drevil:

Sorry, maybe that didn't come out right. I actually said that HP is comparable to Star Wars in that it is a cultural event of this time. My point was more towards that i don't believe it can support an entire land for a quantitative amount of time. It would be like giving Star Wars or Indy an entire section of the park. Once a ride becomes obsolete or is a failure you can't really retheme it without risking the theme of the entire area. Disney could, in theory, swap out Snow White or Pooh for another fantasy ride; Uni wouldn't be able to retheme JP River Adventure without changing everything else in that area...

EPCOT Explorer

Of course, they must first officially greenlight it, with a huge press release, and then we'll truly know. And if I may say, I would like to see some topiaries in the "New" Fantasyland that can be of animals or characters, like this ye olde pic of the TTC. :lol:

topittc.jpg

Sheesh. Even the topiaries were better back then.:dazzle::ROFLOL:

CTXRover

Pirates is old news I clearly said "anything disney has made lately".

Your and my definition of "lately" obviously differs. I consider a film from a frachise that is no more than 2 years old to be in the lately category. All in semantics. No problem.

I am also not debating that HP's newest entry has done boffo BO thus far and HP is a very popular brand. I just wanted to clarify a few mistatements, particularly the one that downplayed the popularity of Up (which had no pre-built in fanbase like HP does) so that wrong info wasn't being passed on. Obviously none of this has anything to do with "the new fantasyland" so that is all I will say about this topic.

JustInTime

Gosh, I leave this thread for a couple of hours, come back and Conundrum has killed it for the second time. Go figure. :brick:

Princess...princess...princess...

Of course it will be relevent it did for books what Star Wars did for movies and Michael Jackson did for music. You think J.K.Rowling or her estate will never go back to potter? You think they will never ever remake these films in the future or make spinoffs?

and yet this theory is invalid for the simple fact that Star Tours and Indiana Jones Adventure are still two of the most popular attractions at Disneyland and merchandise is still flying off the shelves.

I disagree. Star Wars and Michael Jackson became cultural phenonenoms at a point where there was no mass media. Star Wars came out in 77, 2 years after Jaws, which is considered the birth of the "summer blockbuster". Star Wars cemented the theory of the tent pole movie. Micheal Jackson all but created and mastered the art of the music video.

Harry Potter arrived in a time when averything is packaged with a shelf life measured in weeks. Yes when a new book came out bookstores were stampeded, but no more than when cabbage patch dolls hit the stores. Summer movies now hit with a huge opening, then immediately fall off, because the next blockbuster arrives on the following Friday.

JK Rowling has stated that the story and the books are over. It had a beginning, a middle, and an end. There's not going to be a "Harry Potter: The Animated Series" or "Hogwarts: The Early Years".

:lol:

Sorry, didn't mean to stray off topic...

mike7904

Having taken a look at the plans several times I am hoping some of this comes to pass and that we might get some sort of announcement by the end of the year. While I am not crazy about everything in the plans I am looking forward to what they come up with, hoping it will even go beyond what we have seen so far. As far a timeline I am not really concerned that it all be done by the 40th. The important thing is that along with some of the TLC that the Magic Kingdom has been getting lately we will be getting an expansion as well.

The Conundrum

A friend of mine just got done analysis the plans and he says he can make out railroad tracks and a patchwork almost storybook land look in the dumbo area...If they add Casey Jr. or Storybook land or the Dumbo's Circus Discovery Bay concept I will definetly be onboard with this overhaul.

I disagree. Star Wars and Michael Jackson became cultural phenonenoms at a point where there was no mass media. Star Wars came out in 77, 2 years after Jaws, which is considered the birth of the "summer blockbuster". Star Wars cemented the theory of the tent pole movie. Micheal Jackson all but created and mastered the art of the music video.

Harry Potter arrived in a time when averything is packaged with a shelf life measured in weeks. Yes when a new book came out bookstores were stampeded, but no more than when cabbage patch dolls hit the stores. Summer movies now hit with a huge opening, then immediately fall off, because the next blockbuster arrives on the following Friday.

The Harry Potter franchise basically reinvented childrens fantasy and got people reading at a time when it looked like book reading was a becoming unpopular/fadding away.

JK Rowling has stated that the story and the books are over. It had a beginning, a middle, and an end. There's not going to be a "Harry Potter: The Animated Series" or "Hogwarts: The Early Years".

:lol:

Sorry, didn't mean to stray off topic...

She says that and then releases another HP novel (The Bard tales which are referenced in the novels) plus as I said one day these films will need remakes. Regardless though this series has left a HUGE impact as big as Star Wars that will be remembred for generations to come. If you call this a fad than Star Wars and Indy are fads too.

SirGoofy

I think I know where you're going with that...but feel free to elaborate.

Same park. Different lands. 2 different proposals from what I've heard. And 2 that excite me much more than this.

And on the HP talk, it is just as big as Star Wars. The thing is an absolute phenomenon, and will stand the test of time much better than Captain Jack Sparrow ever will.

The Conundrum

Same park. Different lands. 2 different proposals from what I've heard. And 2 that excite me much more than this.

And on the HP talk, it is just as big as Star Wars. The thing is an absolute phenomenon, and will stand the test of time much better than Captain Jack Sparrow ever will.

Agree 100%

I'm gonna assume the other two proposals are Tomorrowland and Adventureland. I will go further and say the Adventureland plans call for the removal of the magic carpets, a retooling of tiki room, a redone jungle cruise, and the reopening of the Veranda. Correct?

SirGoofy

So we have to quess untill we get it right or is there a limit on questions?

I'm not going to tell you guys the actual plan I was told. I have a job with the company and a possible future that I'm not going to jeopardize by posting detailed proposals online.:wave:

But I can tell you the other land I heard mentioned was Frontierland.

JustInTime

I'm not going to tell you guys the actual plan I was told. I have a job with the company and a possible future that I'm not going to jeopardize by posting detailed proposals online.:wave:

But I can tell you the other land I heard mentioned was Frontierland.

That surprises me. Alot. Not that it doesn't need it but...

JustInTime

Surprised me too. But I would put money on Adventure before Frontier. Fantasyland is the front runner though.

Frontier just kinda looks pretty(by pretty, I mean just sitting there). Adventureland is where it's at. I would think if Princess and the Frog does well, we could see the end of Tom Sawyer island. What do you think? Longshot?

HMF

Frontier just kinda looks pretty(by pretty, I mean just sitting there). Adventureland is where it's at. I would think if Princess and the Frog does well, we could see the end of Tom Sawyer island. What do you think? Longshot?
I don't see our Tom Sawyer Island getting any re-theme anytime soon. Our TSI is nowhere near POTC so the Pirate's Lair concept wound not work here and I fail to see how Princess and the Frog will change it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom