The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

I was watching some WDW stuff on YouTube and realized that EPCOT has Soarin' Around the World. That makes total sense at EPCOT. Can we bring back Soarin' Over California to DCA, please? The California version in CA and the world version in a park devoted to the World (sort-of), makes more sense than having the same at both parks, right? Right?!?!

A girl can dream, right?
Soarin’ Around the World has never made sense for DCA. I would support new footage of California, no CGI, for DCA. Either that or return the original film and ride to us.

Around the World is garbage.

SuddenStorm

Soarin' Around the World suffers from the same issues many of Disney's remakes do (2017 Fantasmic being another example)- it attempted to remake something but somehow completely misses the heart and soul of the original.

Even though it's more technically impressive and is really just a redo of the same score, the world film is lackluster and does not connect with audiences the way California did.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Soarin' Around the World suffers from the same issues many of Disney's remakes do (2017 Fantasmic being another example)- it attempted to remake something but somehow completely misses the heart and soul of the original.

Even though it's more technically impressive and is really just a redo of the same score, the world film is lackluster and does not connect with audiences the way California did.

Agreed. Also one member around here mentioned that there is much less range of motion on it which I’m not 100% sure is true but I can believe. The only place the motion is memorable is the Great Wall scene.

Also the music doesn’t come close for me even though it’s a remix. Not sure if that’s just the score itself or how well it works with the scenes.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Soarin’ Around the World has never made sense for DCA. I would support new footage of California, no CGI, for DCA. Either that or return the original film and ride to us.

Around the World is garbage.

I was excited/ intrigued when it was announced but so disappointed after riding it. I will say though riding some of these rides with my son breathes some new life into them. He doesn’t know how much better the California version is. He’s just “flying” and completely in the moment.

Californian Elitist

I was excited/ intrigued when it was announced but so disappointed after riding it. I will say though riding some of these rides with my son breathes some new life into them. He doesn’t know how much better the California version is. He’s just “flying” and completely in the moment.
I definitely get it. I brought my friend to the parks a few years ago. She’s from Italy and it was her first time going. Soarin’ Around the World was her favorite ride. I didn’t want to ruin her joy by talking about the greatness that once was lol.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I know that’s your opinion and the common opinion on this forum, but I do like reminding people that it was incredibly popular among the general public for years after it opened and it still gets very high ratings.

It’s still fun. Just maybe not worth the 45 minute wait, not with the dim screens. Not the greatest queue. Speaking of dim screens, Soarin screen (left side) was pretty dim a few days ago. Not only that, I could see these white grid lines all over the screen. Soarin Over Excel I now dub it.

EDIT: or maybe Soarin Over Spreadsheets is better?

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I definitely get it. I brought my friend to the parks a few years ago. She’s from Italy and it was her first time going. Soarin’ Around the World was her favorite ride. I didn’t want to ruin her joy by talking about the greatness that once was lol.

Lol that was the right move. It’s my moms favorite ride too and I don’t think she even knows it’s any different than the first time she rode SOC.

SuddenStorm

It’s still fun. Just maybe not worth the 45 minute wait, not with the dim screens. Not the greatest queue. Speaking of dim screens, Soarin screen (left side) was pretty dim a few days ago. Not only that, I could see these white grid lines all over the screen. Soarin Over Excel I now dub it.

EDIT: or maybe Soarin Over Spreadsheets is better?

When I got to tour the ride backstage a few years back (which was really just seeing it from behind the screen, and again riding it, then them showing us the smell canisters) the gentleman guiding the tour kept talking about how killer their projection system is, that it's 4k, blends multiple projectors, etc.

All I could think of is how much better the 70mm print looked, and that if they had bothered to actually maintain the film reel it'd probably have aged better.

One of the workers said that people applaud way more at the end of the California film then they do world.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Got a noon boarding pass for Spiderman Thursday. As I was walking through the super crowded entrance with industrial theming I couldn’t help but miss the empty walkway with more trees that led me to TOT. With that said my son and I had a lot of fun on Spider-Man. More fun than any one thing we could have done together at his current age at Bugs Land. With that said, remember when their weren’t any trade offs? When almost everything Disney did was a home run?

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Got a noon boarding pass for Spiderman Thursday. As I was walking through the super crowded entrance with industrial theming I couldn’t help but miss the empty walkway with more trees that led me to TOT. With that said my son and I had a lot of fun on Spider-Man. More fun than any one thing we could have done together at his current age. With that said, remember when their weren’t any trade offs? When almost everything Disney did was a home run?
Those days are gone for some of us. It’s best to either continue enjoying the great offerings that are still there and haven’t been ruined yet or expand the horizons.

I react to every announcement Disney Parks makes nowadays with contempt and doubt. 9.9 times out of 10, I’m not going to approve. I can’t remember the last thing they announced that I thought was good/looked forward to. Maybe it was the Snow White re-do. I wasn’t necessarily excited, but I was curious as to what they had planned.

waltography

I would argue it's not even that technically impressive given how much they wanted to avoid going through bureaucracy to get physical footage of some of the destinations.

I'm more impressed with the footage they got in California with the light touches of CGI than I am of a very fake-looking Taj Mahal or fake Lauans rowing in the Lau Islands (though admittedly it's my favorite smell of the new version). Give me Napa Valley or Monterey Bay any day.

Agreed. Also one member around here mentioned that there is much less range of motion on it which I’m not 100% sure is true but I can believe. The only place the motion is memorable is the Great Wall scene.

Also the music doesn’t come close for me even though it’s a remix. Not sure if that’s just the score itself or how well it works with the scenes.
I don't think it has much less range of motion so much as it is very consistent pan ups and pan downs with some strange lateral movements thrown in.

The music is a shadow of the original, though I don't really blame it on the new composer; it was perfect the first time around.

waltography

I know that’s your opinion and the common opinion on this forum, but I do like reminding people that it was incredibly popular among the general public for years after it opened and it still gets very high ratings.
I would happily wait for Midway Mania again if it ever got the extensive refurbishment it needs and the new games/overlays they promised. Especially now that Sid's in the back corner during Halloween, I'd get a huge kick out of a Sidway Mania overlay (not saying it would be good, but I'm sure it'd at least be a campy misfire like Jingle Cruise 😂).

mickEblu

Original Poster
I would happily wait for Midway Mania again if it ever got the extensive refurbishment it needs and the new games/overlays they promised. Especially now that Sid's in the back corner during Halloween, I'd get a huge kick out of a Sidway Mania overlay (not saying it would be good, but I'm sure it'd at least be a campy misfire like Jingle Cruise 😂).

Whoa, did you just make that up? Sidway Mania? Genius. Would be a great Halloween overlay.

They really need to brighten up those screens again. My wife and I used to love the ride in the mid 2010’s. Now we rarely ever ride

waltography

Whoa, did you just make that up? Sidway Mania? Genius. Would be a great Halloween overlay.

They really need to brighten up those screens again. My wife and I used to love the ride in the mid 2010’s. Now we rarely ever ride
They call Sid's meet and greet during the Halloween party his Sidɇshow Circus so I got it from that. 😂

I agree with the screens. It's a shame because Midway Mania is the superior "game" ride compared to Web Slingers, but I can't stand the dim screens so Web Slingers has become my go-to shooter.

SuddenStorm

When two different 'Disneyland controversies' collide- I found this Jessica Rabbit in a Splash Mountain CM costume pin on Ebay 🤣

1632173267815.png

No Name

They call Sid's meet and greet during the Halloween party his Sidɇshow Circus so I got it from that. 😂

I agree with the screens. It's a shame because Midway Mania is the superior "game" ride compared to Web Slingers, but I can't stand the dim screens so Web Slingers has become my go-to shooter.
I know Mr. Eblu already said this but Sidway Mania is genius. Even better than Sidɇshow Circus. I really want this to happen now.

Figments Friend

I was watching some WDW stuff on YouTube and realized that EPCOT has Soarin' Around the World. That makes total sense at EPCOT. Can we bring back Soarin' Over California to DCA, please? The California version in CA and the world version in a park devoted to the World (sort-of), makes more sense than having the same at both parks, right? Right?!?!

A girl can dream, right?

I have been saying this for years.
Makes complete sense to me, and would also offer a different expereince on both coasts.

P.s. - 'Soarin' Over California' needs to come back permantly. It is universally agreed to be the better film, and score.
:)

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom