The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

I think the Velocicoaster looks like a tremendous ride but it's theming is sub par except for the velociraptors in the queue.
I prefer a beautiful, lengthy coaster with fantastic landscaping and rockwork to anything Disney’s done lately. Bonus points for no babies on sticks or cartoon characters screaming “Jack Jack!!! Cookie num num!!!” 😀

D.Silentu

You know you are from NorCal when the smell of cow poop means you are half way to Disneyland.
This reminded me of a story my sister told. A friend was planning a Disneyland trip and asked how she would know when she was getting close. My sister replied that when the freeway started to look nice, she was close. A statement on Los Angeles freeways VS. Orange County freeways!

CaptinEO

But is their "failure" (to us on here, because let's face it, the general public still eats it up) purely because they just aren't smart or creative enough? Or because someone above them wants X with Y restraints (time, budget, etc) and its up to them to figure out how to achieve it.

I bolded that part of your post too because that was kind of my overall point. I often feel like management often can't get out of their own way enough in contributing to these "disasters" we see and blame the Imagineers for.
I'm saying WDIs own managers that work in WDI are awful and no decent creative person would enjoy working for that group. AKA the imagineers that are running the show in all levels are doing an awful job.

I'm not saying its directly Chapek or Iger, it's flawed more deeply than that. The division is a mess.

Disney's movie division is ran well and on budget even if it's creatively bankrupt.

WDI is creatively bankrupt and can't manage their money properly.

It's no wonder why Disney has no problem throwing money at their movie studios and production companies, their products are done on time and 95% of the time have a good return on investment.

They gave WDI 150 million to redo paradise pier and we got plastic figures on California Screamin and a repainted bugs land ride.

Mac Tonight

I'm saying WDIs own managers that work in WDI are awful and no decent creative person would enjoy working for that group. AKA the imagineers that are running the show in all levels are doing an awful job.

I'm not saying its directly Chapek or Iger, it's flawed more deeply than that. The division is a mess.

Disney's movie division is ran well and on budget even if it's creatively bankrupt.

WDI is creatively bankrupt and can't manage their money properly.

It's no wonder why Disney has no problem throwing money at their movie studios and production companies, their products are done on time and 95% of the time have a good return on investment.

They gave WDI 150 million to redo paradise pier and we got plastic figures on California Screamin and a repainted bugs land ride.
Fair enough :)

No Name

Wow, and I thought WEB-SLINGERS was bad. This is one of the worst things Disney’s ever done. And then, at the end, to have the animated on-tram hosts gushing (obnoxiously) about how amazingly fun it supposedly was... In all seriousness, how stupid does Disney think people are?

The static cars that just move their eyes certainly don’t do the ride any favors. I hate when Disney does that for meet and greets but for a slow moving ride it’s truly bad.

Rich T

I just finished watching Pixar's new movie, Luca. As far as the filmmaking, I thought that was all really well done. It reminded me a lot of a Studio Ghibli production. However, for a couple reasons, I just don't see myself ever going back to this movie. It's really hard to compare to any other Pixar movie as it feels so different from everything else in their catalogue, to the point that if it weren't for the Pixar logo at the beginning I would never have thought it was one. Onward and The Good Dinosaur, as bad as they were, at least felt like Pixar movies in tone and aesthetic. Luca just feels way off in that. I would probably say it's better than Soul, but not as good as Coco - definitely towards the back half of Pixar's catalogue, though not as low as Finding Dory, Monsters University, Cars 2, or the aforementioned Onward and The Good Dinosaur.
I really like Onward (more for the many great moments and fun characters than for the plot). It’s certainly not a “bad” film at all; I think if’s actually a better fantasy film than “Brave.”

I thought Luca was excellent. Watched it twice so far. I agree it feels very Ghibli-like. Double Toasted remarked it’s like a combination of Pixar, Ghibli and Aardman, and that’s very accurate.

The villain was... weird... but funny.

What I do appreciate about Luca (and to a lesser extent, Onward) is there’s a refreshing lightness about it. As great as most Pixar films are, there’s a certain heavy-handed, roadmapped, overpolished, triple-checked-by-committee atmosphere that I think we’re all accustomed to (and that’s just part of Pixar’s style up to this point more than a negative). It’s nice to see them mix things up a bit and try their hand at new visual styles and breezier stories.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I really like Onward (more for the many great moments and fun characters than for the plot). It’s certainly not a “bad” film at all; I think if’s actually a better fantasy film than “Brave.”

I thought Luca was excellent. Watched it twice so far. I agree it feels very Ghibli-like. Double Toasted remarked it’s like a combination of Pixar, Ghibli and Aardman, and that’s very accurate.

The villain was... weird... but funny.

What I do appreciate about Luca (and to a lesser extent, Onward) is there’s a refreshing lightness about it. As great as most Pixar films are, there’s a certain heavy-handed, roadmapped, overpolished, triple-checked-by-committee atmosphere that I think we’re all accustomed to (and that’s just part of Pixar’s style up to this point more than a negative). It’s nice to see them mix things up a bit and try their hand at new visual styles and breezier stories.

I also enjoyed Onward. I thought Luca was great as well. I wasn’t full on paying attention for the entire movie so I’d like to watch it again but overall it worked for this half Italian. It’s funny, I actually wished that they made some or all of the characters talk in broken English/ Italian accents but I guess that’s offensive these days? I mean Coco did it that way though right? Regardless I thought their approach of just every once in a while having a character say a whole line in Italian was cool. Definitely bonus points for the Scopa card Easter eggs. That card you see throughout the movie is from an Italian card game (and I think Spanish too) that I’ve been playing with my grandparents, parents etc since I was a child. That particular one is the 8 of cups. I wonder if they chose that one for any specific reason? I also had for the first time heard a song my grandma sings to all the her great grandkids when she’s feeding them. That Viva la Pasta song when the redhead girl first starts teaching the other boy (not Luca) to eat pasta. Id never actually heard the real song.

Anyway I thought the movie had a nice light tone and the setting and time period it’s set in is just my cup of tea. I can’t help but wonder if the HBO show “My Brilliant Friend” didn’t spark the idea for Luca.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom