The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

I'm just amazed TDA had kept Troy on their payroll this past year, this time to sway opinion to be positive about Disneyland reopening in the midst of a pandemic.

Honestly, @TP2000 should be grateful to have survived the layoffs and the furloughs. He's obviously critical to Disney's corporate strategy.

That's the first I've heard that I helped save WDW's Tower of Terror. I kind of lose track of all the things I've supposedly done posting from my den, but that's a new one.

I really like Guardians of the Galaxy and think it's a better ride than DCA's Tower was. My favorite version is the Jackson Five one, with Elvis and Pat Benatar tied for second place. I also think WDW's Tower hasn't aged well and is plagued by the typically poor maintenance that WDW has.

But if that opinion of mine "helped save" WDW's Tower and people like that, then I'll wear the badge, um, proudly? 🤣

Little Green Men

That's the first I've heard that I helped save WDW's Tower of Terror. I kind of lose track of all the things I've supposedly done posting from my den, but that's a new one.

I really like Guardians of the Galaxy and think it's a better ride than DCA's Tower was. My favorite version is the Jackson Five one, with Elvis and Pat Benatar tied for second place. I also think WDW's Tower hasn't aged well and is plagued by the typically poor maintenance that WDW has.

But if that opinion of mine "helped save" WDW's Tower and people like that, then I'll wear the badge, um, proudly? 🤣
I think they meant WDW1974 saved TOT

smooch

It's been a little over a month since I've last logged into this site as I decided to take a break and focus on among other things my mental health and school, if some of you may remember I have had a very rough past few months between family / relationship / health issues and I am finally back into the office at least on Fridays (I have classes Monday-Thursday in the mornings / afternoons and wouldn't have a reasonable amount of time to come in) and have been busy catching up on a lot of the posts I have missed and I just wanted to say I'm hoping everyone has been doing well. I've been busy with 6 classes after transferring to a new school so I have been mostly just working on school / talking to friends trying to get in a better place and I finally think I am in a better place than I have been for the past few months, thankfully. I just got my second dose of the vaccine yesterday and I am feeling 100% fine. I had no reaction to my first dose, not even a sore arm, but last night I made a point to sleep on my non-vaccinated arm like last time but woke up having rolled onto it so it is a little sore now but otherwise I am okay. My mom had really bad chills last night a few hours after the dose but today she seems like she is fine, and my dad is also doing 100% fine as well. I am looking forward to being able to hang out with some more people than I have been and feeling safe enough to do so, I am hopeful things will actually start becoming a bit closer to "normal" but I know it will take time. Hopefully I will be able to make a trip down with my friend like we had planned for last summer, or I would really love to have the eventual meetup still with everyone here when it would be possible and make sense to do so.

smooch

Glad to hear you are doing better @Smooch . Congrats on scoring a vaccination! (and your family too!)
Thank you so much! I remember reading your reply to my last post before my break and I really appreciated your kind words and they brought me comfort at the time. As for the vaccinations, my mom actually found on our county site they had extra doses about a month ago and asked me to sign up my whole family so I did it immediately, by the end of the day all the extra doses were taken! We got super lucky she was being so proactive about trying to find vaccination appointment registrations. I think I have one other friend who has gotten their doses through work, anyone else I've talked to hasn't been able to find a dose because there aren't really extras and they are in a lower tier so they're not a priority.

I am definitely feeling very optimistic about being able to hang out with more friends now, since I am protected mostly from catching it and it seems reduced chances of spreading it so even my unvaccinated friends say they will feel safe being around me, especially since I have been quarantining this whole time as well. I definitely think seeing my friends will help me even more mentally as well, I am supposed to visit a friend in Arizona in a few weeks on Spring Break, he is one of my best friends but has moved around other states for the last 3 years or so and I have only seen him twice since then when he has been back in town, so I am very excited for that too.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Thank you so much! I remember reading your reply to my last post before my break and I really appreciated your kind words and they brought me comfort at the time. As for the vaccinations, my mom actually found on our county site they had extra doses about a month ago and asked me to sign up my whole family so I did it immediately, by the end of the day all the extra doses were taken! We got super lucky she was being so proactive about trying to find vaccination appointment registrations. I think I have one other friend who has gotten their doses through work, anyone else I've talked to hasn't been able to find a dose because there aren't really extras and they are in a lower tier so they're not a priority.

I am definitely feeling very optimistic about being able to hang out with more friends now, since I am protected mostly from catching it and it seems reduced chances of spreading it so even my unvaccinated friends say they will feel safe being around me, especially since I have been quarantining this whole time as well. I definitely think seeing my friends will help me even more mentally as well, I am supposed to visit a friend in Arizona in a few weeks on Spring Break, he is one of my best friends but has moved around other states for the last 3 years or so and I have only seen him twice since then when he has been back in town, so I am very excited for that too.
welcome back.

TP2000

Why I Really Like Guardians Of The Galaxy: Mission Breakout -

So last night I was at a friend's for dessert and drinks and the hostess led some of us into her kitchen to show off her new Technivorm coffee maker. The radio in the kitchen was tuned to K-EARTH, the local Oldies station in LA that plays mostly 80's music. And the radio is playing Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot, which is my second-favorite song used in Mission Breakout.

And I was reminded of the ride when the radio hit this smutty verse that Miss Benatar sings to her prospective lover...

Before I put another notch in my lipstick case,
You better make sure you put me in my place!

And that's in a Disneyland Resort ride, not far from the ride where the children of the world sing It's A Small World. Hysterical!

Either some Imagineers are truly subversive and wanted to see what they could get away with, or the TDA execs who approved that ride aren't fans of Pat Benatar and didn't understand what she sings about in that song. I love that either way! 🤣

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

So last night I was at a friend's for dessert and drinks and the hostess led some of us into her kitchen to show off her new Technivorm coffee maker. The radio in the kitchen was tuned to K-EARTH, the local Oldies station in LA that plays mostly 80's music. And the radio is playing Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot, which is the song used in Mission Breakout.

And I was reminded of the ride when the lyrics hit this smutty verse that Miss Benatar sings to her prospective lover...

And that's in a Disneyland Resort ride, not far from the ride where the children of the world sing It's A Small World. Hysterical!

Either some Imagineers are truly subversive and wanted to see what they could get away with, or the TDA execs who approved that ride aren't fans of Pat Benatar and didn't understand what she sings about in that song. I love that either way! 🤣

I've always been intrigued by the Raccoon's line "Disneyland! That's thematically inconsistent!"

It's amazing we live in a world where they can build a ride, acknowledge Disneyland, and say it's inconsistent.

Imagine if they built Splash Mountain, and instead of Brer Fox saying he's gonna fling you into a briar patch, he says "Is that a Swiss Mountain? That's thematically inconsistent!"

Imagineering takes themselves to seriously in all the wrong ways these days.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

So last night I was at a friend's for dessert and drinks and the hostess led some of us into her kitchen to show off her new Technivorm coffee maker. The radio in the kitchen was tuned to K-EARTH, the local Oldies station in LA that plays mostly 80's music. And the radio is playing Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot, which is my second-favorite song used in Mission Breakout.

And I was reminded of the ride when the lyrics hit this smutty verse that Miss Benatar sings to her prospective lover...

and yet Splash Mountain and Jungle Cruise are "problematic"

Brer Panther

I've always been intrigued by the Raccoon's line "Disneyland! That's thematically inconsistent!"

It's amazing we live in a world where they can build a ride, acknowledge Disneyland, and say it's inconsistent.

Imagine if they built Splash Mountain, and instead of Brer Fox saying he's gonna fling you into a briar patch, he says "Is that a Swiss Mountain? That's thematically inconsistent!"

Imagineering takes themselves to seriously in all the wrong ways these days.
It's a little something that I like to call "the Muppets Most Wanted Rule" - people seem to have this idea that if they point out a problem, that automatically means they're not problems anymore.

TP2000

Oooof. And I was feeling pretty spry today and everything.

Oh, don't even get me started on that!!! 🤣

I was going to go into that in my post, but just kept it to the topic of the song on Mission Breakout.

K-EARTH 101 (KRTH 101.1FM) has been around for many decades. It's always been LA's big "Oldies" station, and 40 years ago I listened to it for my daily 1960's Motown and Beach Boys fix. And maybe some Leslie Gore or Marvin Gaye.

It's still LA's big Oldies station, but now it plays oldies pop music exclusively from the 80's and.... wait for it... 90's. :eek:

Last edited:

TP2000

There's really only one good response to these posts: Do you really want to hurt me? Do you really want to make me cry?

(Good luck getting that out of your head. You're welcome.)

This was the last thread I checked, and yours was the last post I read, before I logged off to spruce up for a dinner party. I hummed this tune the entire time I was getting ready!

It's a rather famous party held every year in late winter, where the host and hostess lay out a big spread of fresh oysters on ice and seaweed, served with wine and crusty bread and salad, and the guests get a bucket of oysters to shuck their own at tables around a backyard bonfire. Since I used to live in the Southeast, I still have an oyster shucking knife I like to bring and show off with.

So I take a bucket of oysters and set up shop at one of the tables next to a few fun folks. And as I'm splitting open these shellfish a bit more deftly than the average party guest, I start singing into my bucket of oysters "Do you really want to hurt meeeee, do you really want to make me cryyyyy". And the lady across from me starts giggling and she says "What song is that?!? Why are you singing that?!" and I just looked at her and said "It's Culture Club. Boy George, remember? A doctor I know made me do it." and I went back to my shucking. And singing.

You're welcome back! :D

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member

And I was reminded of the ride when the radio hit this smutty verse that Miss Benatar sings to her prospective lover...

Did you watch the Halyx documentary?

It's rather amusing they allowed Jailbait to be performed at Disneyland. A part of me still feels like the whole Halyx thing has to be a hoax. 😂

TP2000

Did you watch the Halyx documentary?

It's rather amusing they allowed Jailbait to be performed at Disneyland. A part of me still feels like the whole Halyx thing has to be a hoax. 😂

I did watch that!

Sadly, I have no memory of Halyx at Disneyland. They must not have been performing during my 1979-80 visits.

And that was the era before AP's where you'd spend all day at the park. And everyone under 40 had a distinct route to take; start in Adventureland in the morning and work your way clockwise around the park so that by sundown you would be in Tomorrowland. After dark, Tomorrowland was where anyone with a pulse wanted to be; the lights, the shows, Space Mountain, the bands, the dancing.

If Halyx had been performing on a night I made one of those Late Carter Era visits, I'm sure I would remember it!

And yes... it's a bizarre little chapter in Disneyland history. :oops:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom