The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

D.Silentu

And everyone under 40 had a distinct route to take; start in Adventureland in the morning and work your way clockwise around the park so that by sundown you would be in Tomorrowland.
I love that you bring this up because we definitely used to have a routine! It was always straight to Pirates first thing, followed by The Haunted Mansion. After that we usually backtracked to The Jungle Cruise. Space Mountain had to be ridden at night, as did the Submarines. Now that you've gotten me reminiscing, you're right, our pattern was roughly clockwise. I think the year Indiana Jones opened was our first deviation, as we had to get in line for that right away. I kind of miss our pattern though, but anymore waiting to ride Space Mountain at night means a brutal line.

TP2000

I love that you bring this up because we definitely used to have a routine! It was always straight to Pirates first thing, followed by The Haunted Mansion. After that we usually backtracked to The Jungle Cruise. Space Mountain had to be ridden at night, as did the Submarines. Now that you've gotten me reminiscing, you're right, our pattern was roughly clockwise. I think the year Indiana Jones opened was our first deviation, as we had to get in line for that right away. I kind of miss our pattern though, but anymore waiting to ride Space Mountain at night means a brutal line.

Isn't that funny?!?

Your routine was exactly my family's routine in the 20th century! Pirates first, slight backtrack into Adventureland for Jungle and Tiki Room, and then on with the Clockwise show. That's just how it was done. You had to time it so you could be in Tomorrowland after sundown, because that's where all the action was and where you wanted to be at night. I'd forgotten about the Subs rule too, so yeah, that was another reason why you had to be in Tomorrowland at night.

Fantasmic! in '92 began to mess that up a bit, but it still held for a few years into the 1990's. Once I had an AP and was visiting regularly by the time Indy opened, the whole Clockwise Route was all kind of falling apart.

I imagine it's a concept that's long gone, or anyone who didn't visit in the 20th century wouldn't even consider.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Isn't that funny?!?

Your routine was exactly my family's routine in the 20th century! Pirates first, slight backtrack into Adventureland for Jungle and Tiki Room, and then on with the Clockwise show. That's just how it was done. You had to time it so you could be in Tomorrowland after sundown, because that's where all the action was and where you wanted to be at night. I'd forgotten about the Subs rule too, so yeah, that was another reason why you had to be in Tomorrowland at night.

Fantasmic! in '92 began to mess that up a bit, but it still held for a few years into the 1990's. Once I had an AP and was visiting regularly by the time Indy opened, the whole Clockwise Route was all kind of falling apart.

I imagine it's a concept that's long gone, or anyone who didn't visit in the 20th century wouldn't even consider.

That’s funny. I would do the same thing but not precisely. As a kid I was already the ring leader of our group at Disneyland and I would always try to make sure we experienced the west side of the park during the day. There is something special about that part of the park during the day. Especially NOS. I would save Tomorrowland for the evening not because I thought it was must do at night but because it wasn’t a Must Do during the day. With that said, I do agree with you and think TL is more enjoyable at night. I think Fantasyland is equally enjoyable during the day or in the evening for different reasons.

D.Silentu

I'd forgotten about the Subs rule too, so yeah, that was another reason why you had to be in Tomorrowland at night.
I remembered one other reason for being in Tomorrowland at night: the fireworks. Up until a few years ago it had slipped my mind that there are great sightlines there as my family found out. Naturally, this was before they decided on making the castle area a sort of stage. I wonder how many others here followed a similar daily pattern as you, mickEblu, and myself? If it it sounds familiar please chime in!

TP2000

That’s funny. I would do the same thing but not precisely. As a kid I was already the ring leader of our group at Disneyland and I would always try to make sure we experienced the west side of the park during the day. There is something special about that part of the park during the day. Especially NOS. I would save Tomorrowland for the evening not because I thought it was must do at night but because it wasn’t a Must Do during the day. With that said, I do agree with you and think TL is more enjoyable at night. I think Fantasyland is equally enjoyable during the day or in the evening for different reasons.

In the Disco Era, Tomorrowland naturally became the place to be for teens thru young adults. That was when they had the outdoor Space Stage in front of Space Mountain, before it became a 3D theater in the mid 80's.

But even in the Go-Go Era, a decade before the Disco Era, the Imagineers purposely designed Tomorrowland to be where the action was after sundown.

mickEblu

Original Poster
In the Disco Era, Tomorrowland naturally became the place to be for teens thru young adults. That was when they had the outdoor Space Stage in front of Space Mountain, before it became a 3D theater in the mid 80's.

But even in the Go-Go Era, a decade before the Disco Era, the Imagineers purposely designed Tomorrowland to be where the action was after sundown.

Ahhh True. I was talking about the early to mid 90s. The land was probably a shell of its former self by then.

SuddenStorm

Crazy how different it is now. For me, Splash Mountain at night and Fantasmic (before the change) had me on the west side after sundown.

After the Fantasmic change, I've gravitated towards Fantasyland late at night- when the land is beautifully lit up and the lines for each attraction are short.

Something about these dance parties just doesn't appeal to me and my friends.

I do have memories of some awesome cover groups like the Fab Four playing in Tomorrowland like 15 years ago, which is beyond cool and something TDA needs to bring back.

TP2000

Ahhh True. I was talking about the early to mid 90s. The land was probably a shell of its former self by then.

It was. It was dying by 1992, dead by '95.

Which is why the New Tomorrowland project of 1998 was such a big deal, and so widely anticipated. And then such a letdown when it was a big, bronzed, ugly flop when it finally opened. And then it only got worse as Rocket Rods sputtered and failed and closed permanently less than two years later.

That was a very, very dark time for Disneyland; that 1997-2000 era. The Tomorrowland of 1998 was only one part of how cheap and ugly and failed the park had become. Who knew it could all be turned around so quickly by 2005?!?

mickEblu

Original Poster

Which is why the New Tomorrowland project of 1998 was such a big deal, and so widely anticipated. And then such a letdown when it was a big, bronzed, ugly flop when it finally opened. And then it only got worse as Rocket Rods sputtered and failed and closed permanently less than two years later.

That was a very, very dark time for Disneyland; that 1997-2000 era. The Tomorrowland of 1998 was only one part of how cheap and ugly and failed the park had become. Who knew it could all be turned around so quickly by 2005?!?

As a kid/ non AP I didn’t really notice but I know it’s the truth.

One odd thing I remember from that era - I remember Cafe Orleans being a quick serve spot where I grabbed a croissant sandwich in a plastic container. In hindsight, I also don’t remember the food options being as diverse or good. Bengal BBQ was about as good as it got back then and was always a big hit with the adults.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

It might be worth dedicating a thread to that era of Disneyland, since operationally the park changed significantly- and I think we're about to witness another significant change in the park's operation.

It's amazing that Imagineering was able to get back much of what was lost- the subs, Lincoln, the Castle walkthrough (I think Tony is credited as being a major player in getting this stuff brought back). And, changing the Treehouse to Tarzan to stop it becoming a gift shop. I know there was other stuff brought back as well, but I'm forgetting off the top of my head. In an interview Tony also mentioned trying to save Cascade peak- and how his pleas fell on deaf ears.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Enjoying this Whiskey flight before my BBQ on this Sunday afternoon... semi indoors. Things are looking up.

E88D7FC3-DC04-4514-9BC0-2D257088BD2B.jpeg

Homemade Imagineering

I went to DTD this past weekend, and I can’t help but wonder...

Was Welcome to Tomorrowland pulled from the current esplanade loop? I can’t seem to remember hearing it at all during my visit, which sucks because it’s one of my favorite tracks. It’s also criminally underrated IMO.

mickEblu

Original Poster

Sharon&Susan

The Dumbo where it’s located today wasn’t moved as part of the 83 redo? When they did they add the green hedge wall (RIP)? Looks like it’s located in the same spot. I’m guessing your just talking about redoing the vehicles and trimmings?
It was relocated to the current location of Dumbo during the building of New Fantasyland, but the '83 version of Dumbo was completely scrapped in '90 (after two accidents within a year) with a new 16 elephant version (instead of just 10 elephants) that was initially meant for DLP.

PiratesMansion

It was relocated to the current location of Dumbo during the building of New Fantasyland, but the '83 version of Dumbo was completely scrapped in '90 (after two accidents within a year) with a new 16 elephant version (instead of just 10 elephants) that was initially meant for DLP.
I didn't realize that when they moved Dumbo they added the fountains but otherwise it still basically looked the same way it always had. I guess I figured they did something beyond that to gussy it up a little for New Fantasyland. Evidently not.

Great find!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom