The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Curious Constance

So, I got Lisa (and her bosses) approval to do a full month vacation in June, flying into Cleveland on the 1st, and returning June 30th.

Flight was just $22, as we are using United Miles.

Rental Car is $1,100 from Budget using Costco, plus gas and Tolls.

The Hotels average about $100 per night plus taxes.

Highlights include...

The Rock and Roll Museum

5 nights at Cedar Point including Coastermania. Our SP's include food and beverage (2 meals a day).

6 nights at Kings Island, same SP deal

Ark Encounter

Mammoth Cave National Park

Idlewild - Free admission using the Castle Park Platinum Pass, good at al US Palace Entertainment parks.

KennyKon (Palace Entertainment SP)

CoasterCon which includes

HersheyPark

Dutch Wonderland (Palace SP)

Dorney Park (Cedar Fair SP includes Food and Drink)

Knoebles

Then a Post-Con event at Six Flags Great Adventure (SP includes Food and Drink)

And on the way back to Cleveland, Leap the Dips (oldest Roller Coaster in the USA) at Lakemont Park, plus DelGrosso's (Altoona, PA)

So we have a budget of $200 on average for both of us, including hotels, meals, admission and souvenirs. That is $7,000 overall, but I am planning an extra $1,000 for a couple of special things, or to cover overages.

I bought a brick in 2019 in celebration of Cedar Point's 150th. Lisa has no idea that I did it. I have the mini brick hidden in my office. But I plan to let her find it at the park.

We are row 78 of Section 5 (the Big Circle. so just above the large CP 150th Square).

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/150th-anniversary/guest-experiences/legacy-brick-walk-locator
I grew up in Altoona, Pa and went to Lakemont and Delgrosso’s dozens of times. Me and my cousin used to ride the roller coasters over and over and over hahahaha
All of my end of school picnic celebrations used to be at Delgrosso’s (at that time it was called Bland’s park) as well as my mom and dad’s annual work picnics in the summer. Space Odyssey was my favorite ride. It was like an indoor black lit ride that played loud music and went around in circles. They also had a game I loved playing where you tried to pop balloons for a poster of the latest heartthrob. Good times :)

PiratesMansion

I grew up in Altoona, Pa and went to Lakemont and Delgrosso’s dozens of times. Me and my cousin used to ride the roller coasters over and over and over hahahaha
All of my end of school picnic celebrations used to be at Delgrosso’s (at that time it was called Bland’s park) as well as my mom and dad’s annual work picnics in the summer. Space Odyssey was my favorite ride. It was like an indoor black lit ride that played loud music and went around in circles. They also had a game I loved playing where you tried to pop balloons for a poster of the latest heartthrob. Good times :)
I was out in the area last year and finally got to ride Leap the Dips. Fun, historic, and slightly terrifying!

It was interesting to see what they'd done with the place. A few years ago they transformed Lakemont into more of a community park and kept only a few of the rides. Based on my visit a few years prior, they chose the right rides to save for the most part.

Delgrosso's, unfortunately, did not open last year. I did get to go a few years ago and they have a much upgraded water park now.

That said, they had already gotten rid of Space Odyssey by that time, which was a bummer, as that was the ride I was most looking forward to for its rarity. RIP.

PiratesMansion

The ride was removed. The building is still being used as a Haunt maze.

And several years before it was removed it operated as "The Crypt," where it ran, to my understanding, neutered both thematically and in terms of the ride program.

Having done the haunt in there, a lot of the queue theming is still in place and as you're walking through the bulk of the building where the ride used to be, you can still see some remants of the ride-a giant carved face, for example-only dimly visible on the wall as you make your way through the maze.

I wish they would just remove it at this point-it's absurdly huge vertically in a way that's distracting as you're going through the haunt, and frankly it's always been an ugly building.

That ride looked so good. It's such a shame the new owners didnt care about it and ruined it.
I was able to do it once back in the Paramount days. It was well presented, but not particularly comfortable and mechanically the thing just didn't work very effectively. I don't blame them for wanting to get rid of it.

I think Cedar Fair initially did some dodgy things-the rethemes and renames, just plopping Diamondback in the middle of the park, bringing in Firehawk-but they've really done a lot of restorative work to the park since, done a lot of beautification projects, and vastly improved the quality of the coaster collection.

The park is genuinely much nicer now, and definitely one of the most improved over the last decade.

Darkbeer1

PiratesMansion

Different ride. Space Odyssey was a caterpillar in a dark building (and without the usual canopy that would close over riders mid-ride):
1613047909542.png

Canobie Lake may have the only one left.

I would definitely do a caterpillar if I was able to find one. Gravitrons, however? I'll call myself retired from those. Always hot, funky smells, uncomfortable experience.

Communicora

Premium Member
Different ride. Space Odyssey was a caterpillar in a dark building (and without the usual canopy that would close over riders mid-ride): View attachment 531175
Canobie Lake may have the only one left.

I would definitely do a caterpillar if I was able to find one. Gravitrons, however? I'll call myself retired from those. Always hot, funky smells, uncomfortable experience.
They have one at Valleyfair in MN but it doesn't look like they have the canopy on it anymore.

PiratesMansion

They have one at Valleyfair in MN but it doesn't look like they have the canopy on it anymore.
Hmm, that is interesting. I will say, though, that despite the references to the caterpillar motion in the description, it still looks more like a Himalaya or a Musik Express to me. The cars are different too.

Unfortunately there's not much to go off of beyond Valleyfair's site. The internet doesn't seem to know what a Super Cat is. Wikipedia seems to think the only caterpillar left other than the one at Canobie is in Canada. Unless there are some closet Valleyfair history buffs that share their info, or the park itself sources the info, we may never know for sure what exactly Super Cat is.

Communicora

Premium Member
Hmm, that is interesting. I will say, though, that despite the references to the caterpillar motion in the description, it still looks more like a Himalaya or a Musik Express to me. The cars are different too.

Unfortunately there's not much to go off of beyond Valleyfair's site. The internet doesn't seem to know what a Super Cat is. Wikipedia seems to think the only caterpillar left other than the one at Canobie is in Canada. Unless there are some closet Valleyfair history buffs that share their info, or the park itself sources the info, we may never know for sure what exactly Super Cat is.
Yeah. It sounds like it's a variation. I found this description of a SuperCat on a site for Great Adventure.

Great Adventure's Super Cat ride was manufactured by Mack as a variation on their Musik Express ride with the twist of the retractable canopies of a traditional caterpillar ride. Like a Musik Express ride the ride vehicles speed around an undulating circular track, but with the canopies coming up and covering the cars in the ride cycle then retracting. The canopies lent the added thrill of darkness, which also added a romantic aspect to the ride as couples got a private moment under the hood.​

I remember the canopy on the ride at Valleyfair but I haven't been there in years and it definitely looks like it doesn't have one anymore. I did find some footage of the ride at Valleyfair on a forum for Great Adventure.

(short glimpse at 1:22)

Nostalgia overload!

Darkbeer1

Well, this upcoming Saturday is my BD. So Lisa approved my request to spend 2 nights at the Comfort Suites Old Town near Sea World. Reserved "space" to use our SP's, and got our Dining packages (6 Food/drink items for $30 (prepaid SP discount).

Have an investment property in Del Mar, so will check on that Sunday morning.

>>

Important Park Update

SeaWorld, a licensed, permitted and accredited zoo is NOW OPEN and is operating in compliance with state safety guidelines for zoos. We look forward to welcoming our guests back to our park for fun, safe and memorable experiences.

<<

Looking forward to seeing the shows, the new Roller Coaster (not operating), and just being in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom