The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

VJ

Do any of you fellows have a favorite Disney composer? For me, it's George Bruns without question. I love all of those rousing action pieces and banging jazz numbers, as well as his atmospheric woodwind-focused arrangements for The Jungle Book and Pirates. Even his mundane stuff is distinctly less boring than filler pieces from most other composers.

Bruce Healey, for his acclaimed and timeless work on Light Magic.
i hope you're not being sarcastic because i genuinely believe this

bruce healey is the disney music maestro and i'm sad that he retired. fantasmic, fantillusion, light magic, all amazing scores and i really wish he'd get more recognition among fans

that said, i also like george bruns and buddy baker a lot, as well as john debney

mickEblu

Original Poster
On this forum. On the DisneyWorld side some "insiders" have been saying for a while now its cancelled for Disney World but still going forward at Disneyland. I take all those rumors with a grain of salt.

Assuming the rumor is true, I wish it was the other way around but would still be thankful if one is spared. I wonder how much of it is due to to the political differences between the location of the parks and how much has to do with Splash Mountains location in Frontierland at MK.

SuddenStorm

i hope you're not being sarcastic because i genuinely believe this

bruce healey is the disney music maestro and i'm sad that he retired. fantasmic, fantillusion, light magic, all amazing scores and i really wish he'd get more recognition among fans

that said, i also like george bruns and buddy baker a lot, as well as john debney

I was being sarcastic about Light Magic, while not a bad score it definitely isn't his best work, but Bruce Healey is definitely my favorite Disney composer.

I've long considered the original iteration of Fantasmic to be the best entertainment Disney's produced- in any medium. And Healey's work on the score is integral to that.

It's especially apparent when compared to what they did to the show in 2017- they redid Healey's work and the new version is far less cohesive and lacks the essential cues built into the original score.

smooch

Sorry to bring the mood down once again but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here. I just got dumped by my girlfriend of 3 years (I get it's not that long but it was my first serious / long term relationship) and have been feeling terrible this whole day. I don't know where else to rant because she says she needs space to work on her mental health which I understand but she says I'm not part of her problems but she said this is the first thing she is trying to work through her problems, so I just feel blindsided and confused. So she says we may or may not get back together in the future depending how she sees things and I just don't know how long that will be if ever but I'm really worried about myself this upcoming year. She was my best friend, any time I got to see her made up for the days / weeks I would spend in my room waiting out the pandemic for things to reopen, and now I have nothing to look forward to. Plus I transferred to a 4 year to finish my degree and am taking 5 classes there with 1 half semester course at my community college so I'm going to be incredibly busy and stressed which won't help. Not to mention my brother's cyst and drug problems, and my other brother has been drinking way too much, my grandfather is incredibly sick and is nearing the end, and my parents are on the verge of splitting up. It just feels like absolutely everything in my life is falling apart and now I can't even talk to the person who helped calm me down / cheer me up / help me get through any struggles I had. I know I'm ranting and I know I'm young and that this is a normal part of life but this feels like it came at the worst time ever and it feels like it came out of nowhere which makes it hurt that much more. Thank you all for being a nice distraction for me, this board always cheers me up and I love talking with every one of you, I truly appreciate this community.

On a happier note, I won a giveaway on a recreation of the old Disney game VMK for Christmas and the package just got delivered and among some Mickey PJ pants and in game items I got the Walt and Sleeping Beauty Castle Funko Pop, which I have always loved the look of but could never justify the price tag for one on eBay. Now I just need to figure out a nice spot for it and put it on display!

1610875383803.png

CaptinEO

Sorry to bring the mood down once again but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here. I just got dumped by my girlfriend of 3 years (I get it's not that long but it was my first serious / long term relationship) and have been feeling terrible this whole day. I don't know where else to rant because she says she needs space to work on her mental health which I understand but she says I'm not part of her problems but she said this is the first thing she is trying to work through her problems, so I just feel blindsided and confused. So she says we may or may not get back together in the future depending how she sees things and I just don't know how long that will be if ever but I'm really worried about myself this upcoming year. She was my best friend, any time I got to see her made up for the days / weeks I would spend in my room waiting out the pandemic for things to reopen, and now I have nothing to look forward to. Plus I transferred to a 4 year to finish my degree and am taking 5 classes there with 1 half semester course at my community college so I'm going to be incredibly busy and stressed which won't help. Not to mention my brother's cyst and drug problems, and my other brother has been drinking way too much, my grandfather is incredibly sick and is nearing the end, and my parents are on the verge of splitting up. It just feels like absolutely everything in my life is falling apart and now I can't even talk to the person who helped calm me down / cheer me up / help me get through any struggles I had. I know I'm ranting and I know I'm young and that this is a normal part of life but this feels like it came at the worst time ever and it feels like it came out of nowhere which makes it hurt that much more. Thank you all for being a nice distraction for me, this board always cheers me up and I love talking with every one of you, I truly appreciate this community.

On a happier note, I won a giveaway on a recreation of the old Disney game VMK for Christmas and the package just got delivered and among some Mickey PJ pants and in game items I got the Walt and Sleeping Beauty Castle Funko Pop, which I have always loved the look of but could never justify the price tag for one on eBay. Now I just need to figure out a nice spot for it and put it on display!

At the end of the day you have your own goals and aspirations, regardless of what is going on with the people around you.

I am sorry about your grandfather. In regards to your brother and parents, let them do their own thing and live your own life and work on accomplishing your own goals.

You have your university and a whole future career and future life ahead of you. A lot of these current issues will seem insignificant in the future and are not important in regards to your future life.

By the time you are done with university you will be a different and stronger person. Whether you get back with this current girlfriend or even find somebody else, stay true to yourself and make sure you are happy.

mickEblu

Original Poster

In regards to your girlfriend, it may seem like the end of the world now but trust me in 10 years when you are married with kids, (or wherever you are in life) it will all seem so trivial. Being that she was your first real girlfriend and considering how much time you spent together, how you are feeling is completely normal. It will pass though. Don’t put your life on pause until she’s ready again because you don’t know if or when that will happen. I’d take some time and start dating other girls or what is it my younger cousins are doing... bumble? Didn’t have that when I was dating. Smh.

I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa!

DrAlice

It just feels like absolutely everything in my life is falling apart..
Nope, not everything in YOUR life is falling apart. You have a lot of people in your life that are going through some awful stuff, but that is not YOUR life. THIS part is YOUR life: "I transferred to a 4 year to finish my degree and am taking 5 classes there with 1 half semester course at my community college". You should feel incredibly proud of where you are with your life.

As for the girlfriend, well..... her loss, right?

I'm not trying to diminish what you are feeling. Anyone would be upset and stressed with all of that going on. Just try to remember that you can only control you. Enjoy what you can from your grandfather's remaining days (I'm truly sorry), and do what you can to focus on school. If all the other stuff gets too overwhelming, talk to someone impartial (either through your health care provider or your school) to help sort out your thoughts. There's never shame in getting help.

Hang in there.

smooch

At the end of the day you have your own goals and aspirations, regardless of what is going on with the people around you.

I am sorry about your grandfather. In regards to your brother and parents, let them do their own thing and live your own life and work on accomplishing your own goals.

You have your university and a whole future career and future life ahead of you. A lot of these current issues will seem insignificant in the future and are not important in regards to your future life.

By the time you are done with university you will be a different and stronger person. Whether you get back with this current girlfriend or even find somebody else, stay true to yourself and make sure you are happy.
Thank you, I know I still have so much ahead of me but it still sucks. I am just stressed about having to deal with everything in life without her now, especially because I'm having so many family problems it was always a nice escape to get away from all that and stay with her in Napa for a few days. Now I won't have anything like that to get away from it all, next semester I'm hopefully getting an apartment near campus with my best friend if classes go back to in person so I'll have to wait til then.

In regards to your girlfriend, it may seem like the end of the world now but trust me in 10 years when you are married with kids, (or wherever you are in life) it will all seem so trivial. Being that she was your first real girlfriend and considering how much time you spent together, how you are feeling is completely normal. It will pass though. Don’t put your life on pause until she’s ready again because you don’t know if or when that will happen. I’d take some time and start dating other girls or what is it my younger cousins are doing... bumble? Didn’t have that when I was dating. Smh.

I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa!
I don't know how to go about dating other girls in the middle of this pandemic lol. Next semester if classes are in person that would be a way to meet new people but that won't be for at least half the year. And I don't know about Bumble or Tinder or anything... I tried it before I started dating my ex and it never really went well, I got close to one girl then she moved away after a few months and the only other person I ever met up with ended up being a little, uh, crazy.
Nope, not everything in YOUR life is falling apart. You have a lot of people in your life that are going through some awful stuff, but that is not YOUR life. THIS part is YOUR life: "I transferred to a 4 year to finish my degree and am taking 5 classes there with 1 half semester course at my community college". You should feel incredibly proud of where you are with your life.

As for the girlfriend, well..... her loss, right?

I'm not trying to diminish what you are feeling. Anyone would be upset and stressed with all of that going on. Just try to remember that you can only control you. Enjoy what you can from your grandfather's remaining days (I'm truly sorry), and do what you can to focus on school. If all the other stuff gets too overwhelming, talk to someone impartial (either through your health care provider or your school) to help sort out your thoughts. There's never shame in getting help.

Hang in there.
Thank you, I know I should be proud but I still feel like I'm going very slowly with college, considering I spent about 3.5 years just in community college and will take at least another 2 years or so to graduate. Then after that I will be going down to Milwaukee for a little for the New Financial Adviser training program at the home office, so I'm still on the path I'm just stressed about making sure I graduate on time so I don't have to re apply for a different session. I just need to make sure I do my best, and like you said reach out to anyone if I need. I actually reached out to my close friend who lives in another state (I've mentioned her here before, the friend I met in WDW while she was on her college program) and two days ago she got broken up with by her boyfriend of like 4 years so we're in a similar situation and have been helping each other through it all, so I have some people I know that I have talked to to get my thoughts out and figure out my feelings. At this point I guess it's just a matter of time and I just have to wait it out to feel better but it still sucks.

DrAlice

Thank you, I know I should be proud but I still feel like I'm going very slowly with college, considering I spent about 3.5 years just in community college and will take at least another 2 years or so to graduate.
In the rear view, my college years seem like they went by in a flash. Because of life, my reality actually looked like this: 2.5 years at community college, another 4 at a university, and another 5.5 at a different university for grad school. Don't worry about how long it takes. Just keep going. :)

PiratesMansion

Finally starting what are purported to be the full-on puff piece episodes of Imagineering Story and it immediately gives us impressionable viewers the idea that one of the things that he wanted from the start and has pushed him to the top was his demand for "fresh creative content."
Shark Tank Lol GIF by ABC Network

lazyboy97o

Finally starting what are purported to be the full-on puff piece episodes of Imagineering Story and it immediately gives us impressionable viewers the idea that one of the things that he wanted from the start and has pushed him to the top was his demand for "fresh creative content."
As someone who has visited Tokyo Disney Resort you’ll be shocked to learn that trackless technology was actually developed for Disneyland Paris.

Mac Tonight

Yeah, those episodes really got to me. Too much cringe.

I wish they'd do an Imagineering series on attractions that never were.

PiratesMansion

I've been watching a lot of The Great British Baking Show, so I thought I knew a bit about puff pastry. Then I watched Episode 5 of The Imagineering Story. Lots of interesting choices and claims in this one:

On DCA 2.0:
-Iger on redeveloping DCA: "The proposal that they made to me creatively was...big risk, big change" **pans to redesigned MGM-aping turnstyles instead of something original**
-Midway Mania is getting a disproportionate amount of hype and screentime for its quality.
-"For balance, Paradise Pier received a nostalgic overlay of classic characters." Well, that comment didn't age well...

On Cars Land:
-"I have so many memories of cars growing up." So naturally, it's much more logical to pivot to DisneyPixar's Cars than actual classic cars. $$$ baby!
-"But an unexpected detour occured when the Imagineers found out Pixar was producing a movie about cars." Guys. You JUST showed us footage of the proposal in 2007. Cars came out in 2006. Let's not be intentionally misleading.
-I enjoyed the "Insightful" commentary from Iger looking at the Cars Land model.

On Things That Involve Kim Irvine:
-Why are we talking about HMH now? It was neither the first overlay, nor was it introduced during Iger's time. The only reason can be to reinstate the IP-trumps-all narrative that Iger loves so much. "Not to mention, it was only temporary. Fans could rest in peace." Disney wishes death upon their fans, news at eleven!
-"See, descrating Walt classics isn't that bad! Just trust us"-paraphrasing Kim Irvine. No Kim, we will not just trust you. Sorry.
-Marty Sklar on adding characters to Small World: "We are not this classic attraction into a marketing pitch for Disney plush toys. The opposite is true...we want the message of goodwill and brotherhood to resonate among young people." That's a pretty damning indictment of young people if they can't believe in the benefit of international cooperation without their favorite Disney characters leading them by the hand.

Questionable Claims Corner:
-I thought people of all ages liked Disney parks just fine. Apparently though it wasn't until Iger bought Marvel and Lucasfilm that adults realized it was ok for adults to like the parks too. The More You Know!
-Bob Iger decided to expand Hong Kong Disneyland all by himself apparently.

On Ratatouille:
-Ratatouille is introduced as being akin to a modern day Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which seems to prove that Tom Fitzgerald has never actually ridden Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
-Only after the film shows Ratatouille (and implies that it's revolutionary by showing the work of programming it, etc. despite showing Mystic Manor earlier in the same episode with no mention of Hunny Hunt, both of which used the same technology before and better than Rat) does it say that Disneyland Paris became the number one tourist destination in Europe. It actually became the number one tourist destination in Europe in the nineties. To imply that that only happened because of Ratatouille is horrific. Also, if Ratatouille re-inforced that customization to fit a culture breeds success, then why was DCA such a flop? You might be contradicting yourself, documentary...

Was everything negative? No. Despite my snarking about it above, the Cars Land and DCA revitalization segments were relatively honest and well done. The Mystic Manor segment was appreciated and informative. The segment on the 2011 earthquake was sobering but reassuring in a way that did not feel like pandering. But the bad overwhelmed the good in a massive way. On to Episode 6!

Mac Tonight

I've been watching a lot of The Great British Baking Show, so I thought I knew a bit about puff pastry. Then I watched Episode 5 of The Imagineering Story. Lots of interesting choices and claims in this one:

On DCA 2.0:
-Iger on redeveloping DCA: "The proposal that they made to me creatively was...big risk, big change" **pans to redesigned MGM-aping turnstyles instead of something original**
-Midway Mania is getting a disproportionate amount of hype and screentime for its quality.
-"For balance, Paradise Pier received a nostalgic overlay of classic characters." Well, that comment didn't age well...

On Cars Land:
-"I have so many memories of cars growing up." So naturally, it's much more logical to pivot to DisneyPixar's Cars than actual classic cars. $$$ baby!
-"But an unexpected detour occured when the Imagineers found out Pixar was producing a movie about cars." Guys. You JUST showed us footage of the proposal in 2007. Cars came out in 2006. Let's not be intentionally misleading.
-I enjoyed the "Insightful" commentary from Iger looking at the Cars Land model.

On Things That Involve Kim Irvine:
-Why are we talking about HMH now? It was neither the first overlay, nor was it introduced during Iger's time. The only reason can be to reinstate the IP-trumps-all narrative that Iger loves so much. "Not to mention, it was only temporary. Fans could rest in peace." Disney wishes death upon their fans, news at eleven!
-"See, descrating Walt classics isn't that bad! Just trust us"-paraphrasing Kim Irvine. No Kim, we will not just trust you. Sorry.
-Marty Sklar on adding characters to Small World: "We are not this classic attraction into a marketing pitch for Disney plush toys. The opposite is true...we want the message of goodwill and brotherhood to resonate among young people." That's a pretty damning indictment of young people if they can't believe in the benefit of international cooperation without their favorite Disney characters leading them by the hand.

Questionable Claims Corner:
-I thought people of all ages liked Disney parks just fine. Apparently though it wasn't until Iger bought Marvel and Lucasfilm that adults realized it was ok for adults to like the parks too. The More You Know!
-Bob Iger decided to expand Hong Kong Disneyland all by himself apparently.

On Ratatouille:
-Ratatouille is introduced as being akin to a modern day Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which seems to prove that Tom Fitzgerald has never actually ridden Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
-Only after the film shows Ratatouille (and implies that it's revolutionary by showing the work of programming it, etc. despite showing Mystic Manor earlier in the same episode with no mention of Hunny Hunt, both of which used the same technology before and better than Rat) does it say that Disneyland Paris became the number one tourist destination in Europe. It actually became the number one tourist destination in Europe in the nineties. To imply that that only happened because of Ratatouille is horrific. Also, if Ratatouille re-inforced that customization to fit a culture breeds success, then why was DCA such a flop? You might be contradicting yourself, documentary...

Was everything negative? No. Despite my snarking about it above, the Cars Land and DCA revitalization segments were relatively honest and well done. The Mystic Manor segment was appreciated and informative. The segment on the 2011 earthquake was sobering but reassuring in a way that did not feel like pandering. But the bad overwhelmed the good in a massive way. On to Episode 6!
I think there's an easy to remember motto about Iger's time at the helm of Disney... but I'll let my friend sum it up.

6cei6mj.gif

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Her loss man. sorry to hear it. wish you the best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom