The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well they have moved on from bras but now I'm getting ads for canned sardines. I've never eaten a sardine in my life. Who is this wild and interesting man on these boards who frequents gay cruises in a bra but would rather eat canned sardines in their room than play out on the lido deck? They re onto you.

CF54267A-4F4E-4EF6-BA6C-F83A8764F209.jpeg

Rich T

Showing my son the movie Up for the first time. I’ve only seen it once like 10 years ago. Why does it strike me as something that was supposed to be a short that evolved into a movie. Kind of explains why the first half is so much better than the second half.
One of reasons I love Up is because it’s one of the few Disney or Pixar films I’ve seen where I genuinely had no clue what was going to happen next, which direction the story was heading or what the message was—right up until the badge ceremony (and ice cream) at the end when it all came together beautifully. I don’t want that kind of befuddlement from every film, but for Up it works beautifully.

mickEblu

Original Poster
One of reasons I love Up is because it’s one of the few Disney or Pixar films I’ve seen where I genuinely had no clue what was going to happen next, which direction the story was heading or what the message was—right up until the badge ceremony (and ice cream) at the end when it all came together beautifully. I don’t want that kind of befuddlement from every film, but for Up it works beautifully.

I wish they wouldn’t have gone so far off the rails with the dogs flying the planes etc. I mean get we re talking about a movie where a man ties balloons to his house and makes it fly but the house flying is magical. The dogs are cheesy.

Somewhere out there is a different third act for Up that catapults it into my Top 3 Pixar movies. Instead it’s not even in my Top 6 or 7.

For some reason Docters movies don’t work as well for me as some of the other directors at Pixar. And I only realized that after trying to rank them and seeing that Up, Monsters Inc 1 n 2, Inside and Out were closer to the middle or bottom of my Pixar list.

Rich T

Let's talk music because I have to pump some country artists. I'm not talking the trash they plug in from Nashville and play on 103.5 Go Country, I'm talking genuine, good, Texas country music. Look up Jon Wolfe ("That Girl in Texas" is great), Jarrod Morris (He only has one album and all his songs are fantastic. Personally I love "Coyote," "Jezebel Queen," and "Red Bandana), and Turnpike Troubadours (My all time favorite band. I love "The Mercury" and their cover of "Long Hot Summer Day" is my favorite song ever). Anyway, I don't know if anybody here likes country music, but even if you don't I would recommend these artists to anybody, especially Jarrod Morris. Guy's young, talented, and deserves recognition.
Thanks for the list—I’ll check them out. I like all kinds of country—even the top hit radio kind, because that type has filled the melodic soft rock void left by the present-day absence of groups like Fleetwood Mac, America and The Eagles. But I also love groups who care more about heritage and originality than living in the pop hit machine.

PiratesMansion

Someone doesn't love Up?

It's maybe not my favorite Pixar movie, but I appreciate that it went in a direction that I doubt Disney would allow Pixar to go in today. As much as it's a bit fantastical, the two leads ground the movie and allow it all to land.

Should have fixed the plot hole about Mintz's age though. That is the one thing that has always annoyed me.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Someone doesn't love Up?

It's maybe not my favorite Pixar movie, but I appreciate that it went in a direction that I doubt Disney would allow Pixar to go in today. As much as it's a bit fantastical, the two leads ground the movie and allow it all to land.

Should have fixed the plot hole about Mintz's age though. That is the one thing that has always annoyed me.

I forgot to mention that. Wouldn’t he be like 120 years old? Maybe in a movie where dogs are flying planes we shouldn’t be too worried about that?

Yeah it just starts losing me with the dogs. Partly because Im so hooked until the dogs show up. I would have liked for it to continue with the adventurous tone and not the way they went

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well they have moved on from bras but now I'm getting ads for canned sardines. I've never eaten a sardine in my life. Who is this wild and interesting man on these boards who frequents gay cruises in a bra but would rather eat canned sardines in their room than play out on the lido deck? They re onto you.

View attachment 473560
Maybe the site is trying to tell you something....

Rich T

Someone doesn't love Up?

Mintz invented the dog voice collar and taught the dogs to fly planes, so I’m sure he had no problem finding a way to extend his lifespan (an abandoned plot thread had him searching for the Fountain of Youth).

That all highlights another issue that could be seen as either a plot hole or a reinforcement of the film’s sub-theme about the dangers of obsession: He’s fixated on the bird while ignoring the fact that his invention of the dog voice collar would make him as famous as Thomas Edison.

Rich T

Yeah it just starts losing me with the dogs. Partly because Im so hooked until the dogs show up. I would have liked for it to continue with the adventurous tone and not the way they went
I think that’s probably the biggest divide between fans and nonfans. I thought the dogs doubled the fun while logically expanding Dug’s role.

One other thing needs mentioning: Up is a LOT more thrilling in 3D. With the unexpectedly realistic bloodshed in the first act, the movie establishes that its characters can be injured like real people. Once the third act rolls around, all the aerial battles and near-falls are quite harrowing in 3D, with the extreme heights seeming very real and deadly. (It was reassuring to find the dogs had parachutes😃).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom