The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

I've watched an embarrassing amount of early Simpsons with my D+ membership, the early seasons are delightful comedy and I love watching traditional animation. It scares me that Disney's trying to integrate them with the Disney brand.
jz9qvvm4quv41.thumb.jpg.3630108ea6564562890cb9c0265c8242.jpg

SuddenStorm

One of Disneyland's biggest appeals is its ability to entertain the whole family- from the grandparents to the toddlers. Obviously it's a huge vacation destination for summer and winter vacations for this very reason.

I know it's a small thing in the scope of the impact of the virus, but it saddens me that many families, especially those with at risk individuals, will be deterred from visiting the park for Christmas this year.

Disney has already been shifting away from designing attractions that appeal to people over the age of 50, nothing in Galaxy's Edge or Avengers Campus or Pixar Pier appeals to my grandparents, and to a lesser extent my parents, like Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, New Orleans Square, or even Lincoln/Main Street does. This is a disturbing trend that cheapens the park for a variety of reasons, and its a bit sad that now there's a virus that's deadly for older folks that will even further discourage them from visiting the park.

TROR

It's bitter sweet to see the end of Star Wars The Clone Wars. When I was a kid, my family didn't have cable television but the gym in the apartment complex we lived in had a TV set with cable and I remember going down there the night The Clone Wars premiered so I could watch it, doing the same every Friday following, then discussing it with my friends at school the next week. What good memories.

socalifornian

It's bitter sweet to see the end of Star Wars The Clone Wars. When I was a kid, my family didn't have cable television but the gym in the apartment complex we lived in had a TV set with cable and I remember going down there the night The Clone Wars premiered so I could watch it, doing the same every Friday following, then discussing it with my friends at school the next week. What good memories.
This last story arc has been so good. I’m liking it more than the Disney trilogy

brb1006

I'm currently in the middle of watching "Prop Culture" that just came out in Disney+ recently. I highly recommend checking out the series got surprisingly emotional at times.

I also just got finished watching the first season of "101 Dalmatian Street" which I highly loved and reccommend checking out. For a while, the series was only airing in the UK, but it avaiable worldwide thanks to Disney+ making it available for people in the US. Then there's "The Legend Of The Three Caballeros" which has gained a following of it's own for two years now.

Rich T

Truly what is a Disney fan now?

Do you have to like Theme Parks, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Classic Disney Films, Current Disney Films, The Muppets, Cruise Ships, Remakes of Disney Films, and The Simpsons? Their brand is so segmented it's crazy.

Disney marketing even assumes people are already fans of movies that aren't even out yet with their heavy push on merchandise and promotion.

I don't want to tell people I'm a Disney fan because they may mistake this as me being someone who buys into every one of these brands/products the company markets.

At least ABC and ESPN continue to stay separate from the Disney name.
Sometimes a relative or friend I haven’t seen in a while will ask me if I’m still a big Disney fan. I just say I’m a fan of “classic” Disney, but I’m not a fan of what the company’s become.

TROR

I've been stressing about this paper I'm writing because I was having a terrible time finding sources without access to a library. I'm currently writing the last page and, man, what a good feeling this is. I'm so glad to almost be done. I definitely didn't learn as much as I would have liked, but being able to accomplish what I have is still a good achievement given the circumstances so I'm happy.

TwilightZone

Microsoft Edge is so dang clean! I'm honestly surprised. Good job microsoft for upping google's game!
Only thing keeping me from doing a full switch from firefox is firefox has foxytab...maybe I'll just keep it around for that but move all stuff to edge later. I'm not fully sure yet.

smooch

Truly what is a Disney fan now?

Do you have to like Theme Parks, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Classic Disney Films, Current Disney Films, The Muppets, Cruise Ships, Remakes of Disney Films, and The Simpsons? Their brand is so segmented it's crazy.

Disney marketing even assumes people are already fans of movies that aren't even out yet with their heavy push on merchandise and promotion.

I don't want to tell people I'm a Disney fan because they may mistake this as me being someone who buys into every one of these brands/products the company markets.

At least ABC and ESPN continue to stay separate from the Disney name.
Sometimes a relative or friend I haven’t seen in a while will ask me if I’m still a big Disney fan. I just say I’m a fan of “classic” Disney, but I’m not a fan of what the company’s become.

This comes up kinda often with me, I love the theme parks and I like their classic movies and some "newer" stuff as in things from around 20 years or so ago. Sometimes my friends will mention newer Disney movies / shows / whatever and ask me about them and I tell them I don't know that I didn't watch it. I still haven't even seen Frozen 1 or 2 yet it just doesn't look interesting to me so I haven't watched it. My friends act like I'm a fake Disney fan because I haven't watched Frozen, I think it's incredibly difficult to call someone a Disney fan without specifying anymore. And when I think of Disney I really think of Disney, Pixar, Classic Disney Movies, Current Disney Movies, the Cruise Ships, and the Remakes (at least from your list). No matter how much Disney pushes Star Wars or Marvel in the parks those will never be Disney to me. I understand buying these companies from Disney's perspective for the profits / for the IP, but I think it's ridiculous to try to turn those IPs into the Disney brand. Especially things like Star Wars, Marvel, and The Simpsons, they are so distinctly not Disney and that's okay, not everything needs to be Disney, but to try and change the public's perception of these IPs into being part of Disney is so weird to me.

smooch

Microsoft Edge is so dang clean! I'm honestly surprised. Good job microsoft for upping google's game!
Only thing keeping me from doing a full switch from firefox is firefox has foxytab...maybe I'll just keep it around for that but move all stuff to edge later. I'm not fully sure yet.

I switched off Chrome to Vivaldi a few months ago and I haven't looked back. Importing all my data really made it a no brainer, I never knew that was possible because I tried importing data to Firefox from Chrome a while ago and it did not work at all, it imported only a little of my browser history and no logins / etc.

Phroobar

The Shattered episode of The Clone Wars was pretty amazing. I like how they reenacted the hologram scene between Mace and Yoda from ROTS and then Ashoka walks in at the end of it. We finally got to see Rex turn against Ashoka because of Order 66. Just that one episode is better than all of the Rey movies.

Last edited:

socalifornian

The Shattered episode of The Clone Wars was pretty amazing. I like how they reenacted the hologram scene between Mace and Yoda from ROTS and then Ashoka walks in at the end of it. We finally got to see Rex turn against Ashoka because of Order 66. Just that one episode is better than the entire Ray movies.
The last episode’s up!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I haven't started watching the new season of Clone Wars yet because I wanted to binge-watch the entire series again since it has been a few years and I wanted to have it all fresh in my mind when I finally watch the final season.

I really had forgotten how great the show is.

Practical Pig

What is the point of those Stormtrooper suits if they can’t even protect them from a blaster wound? That would be like people wearing bullet proof vests when they never once stopped a bullet.

It does seem like the Empire/First Order could afford armor more robust than a thin sheet of vacuformed polypropylene.

Rich T

Star Wars was designed to be an outer space fairy tale. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s a ridiculous, fun world where space ships can barrel roll like WW II fighter planes, people can travel between star systems even if their light speed drive is broken, and only a handful of humans matter in a galaxy of countless different intelligent species. And soldiers wear useless armor because Ralph McQuarrie was a wonderful artist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom