The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There's actually a scene where a character is reading a biography of Walt Disney and says he's a once-in-a-lifetime genius. It's a film set in 1969 LA. It would've worked just as well as all the other 1960's references in the film.
I'm going to go see it in 30 mins.

I would assume that Tarantino would have had to get permission to use HM or Disneyland directly from TWDC as opposed to a biographer's book. And with how he feels about Disney he probably wouldn't want to do that. So its easy to make a reference without dealing with the actual company.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That is just untrue. you have no proof his "interest was waning" he was just working on a new project he wanted to do since he did not have the space to do in Anaheim. He was active in the development of pirates and mansion (early stages) before he died. he very much was still into disneyland.
I'm just basing it on discussions had on boards like this for decades. The consensus was that his interest in the theme park business in general was waning in his later years as he wanted to focus on urban planning.

I'd have to go check, but I believe its even mentioned by Disney family members directly in some of the biographies and films out there.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm just basing it on discussions had on boards like this for decades. The consensus was that his interest in the theme park business in general was waning in his later years as he wanted to focus on urban planning.

I'd have to go check, but I believe its even mentioned by Disney family members directly in some of the biographies and films out there.

That seems to be very true. Those ridiculous dreams of an urban city just became more theme parks. George Lucas supposedly lost interest in Star Wars after ROTJ and wanted to focus on producing smaller films, but LucasFilm went full circle back to Star Wars before and after he sold the company. It's what makes the money. Not a bubble city with monorail.

Darkbeer1

So happy to report that this.....

Has a home to go to.

Tonight, at the Anaheim City Council meeting, the 39 Commons project at the corner of Beach and Lincoln, has been approved!!!

I have been working (along with others) to get this project off the ground for quite awhile (some go back 20+ years), and it finally has!!!!

Ground breaking is planned for late 2019, if all goes well!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Very disappointed that Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood did not features a single reference to the Haunted Mansion. It opened the same day as Sharon Tate's murder.
FYI, a slight hidden spoiler listed.

So I saw it and actually liked, even though it had Tarantino's expected revisionist history spin on it.

As far as the HM goes. There wouldn't have been a chance to mention it and it wouldn't have made sense. Over 2/3rds of the movie happens months before the night of the Mansion family attack happens, which is only in the last 15 mins of the film. The actual Tate murders happened on the night of August 8th, which is depicted in the film as happening differently but on the same night, and was the day before the soft openings. HM didn't open to the public until August 12th. So even if some in Hollywood might have known about HM soft opening the next day it wouldn't have been something mentioned during a murder scene (depicted as a failed attack next door to Tate in the movie).

So I get that you wanted a HM/Disneyland reference due to the close proximity of the date, but it just wouldn't have made sense given the subject of the film. Even the throw away line referencing Walt Disney was just a topical reference since it was said by an 8 yr old girl. Which does make sense given the 8 yr old girl is suppose to be an "actor" and Walt just died 3 years earlier.

TROR

FYI, a slight hidden spoiler listed.

So I saw it and actually liked, even though it had Tarantino's expected revisionist history spin on it.

As far as the HM goes. There wouldn't have been a chance to mention it and it wouldn't have made sense. Over 2/3rds of the movie happens months before the night of the Mansion family attack happens, which is only in the last 15 mins of the film. The actual Tate murders happened on the night of August 8th, which is depicted in the film as happening differently but on the same night, and was the day before the soft openings. HM didn't open to the public until August 12th. So even if some in Hollywood might have known about HM soft opening the next day it wouldn't have been something mentioned during a murder scene (depicted as a failed attack next door to Tate in the movie).

So I get that you wanted a HM/Disneyland reference due to the close proximity of the date, but it just wouldn't have made sense given the subject of the film. Even the throw away line referencing Walt Disney was just a topical reference since it was said by an 8 yr old girl. Which does make sense given the 8 yr old girl is suppose to be an "actor" and Walt just died 3 years earlier.
There’s a lot of background radio and billboards. Have an ad playing between songs. That’s all I wanted from it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There’s a lot of background radio and billboards. Have an ad playing between songs. That’s all I wanted from it.
I get what you're saying, and I appreciate where you are coming from. But how much advertising did Disney do via radio and billboards for HM opening? Those commerical clips you heard were real recordings from actual radio programs from the time. I know that Disney put out a full page ad in the newspaper but not sure about radio or billboard ads. Plus again as I mentioned before would Tarantino even have wanted deal with trying to get clearance from TWDC to even make mention of Disneyland or HM.

Again I appreciate where you're coming from, I just don't think it would have been something either TWDC nor Tarantino would have been interested in without it being a Disney branded film.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Most people concede that TOT was the better overall attraction but say GOTG:MB is more fun/thrilling. I kind of disagree. I don’t like that with GOTG the most thrilling part of the ride is the initial shot up. It’s all downhill after that. TOT built up to that last big drop. Furthermore, I don’t think one drop in the entire plethora of drops in MB goes the entire distance as the last TOT drop did. Why not?

Last edited:

shortstop

Most people concede that TOT was the better overall attraction but say GOTG:MB is more fun/thrilling. I kind of disagree. I don’t like that with GOTG the most thrilling part of the ride is the initial shot up. It’s all downhill after that. TOT built up to that last big drop. Furthermore, I don’t think one drop in the entire plethora of drops in MB goes the entire distance as the last TOT drop did. Why not?
The suspense and anticipation of the beginning of ToT heightens the thrill of the drops. I think it’s way more thrilling than GotG!

mickEblu

Original Poster
The suspense and anticipation of the beginning of ToT heightens the thrill of the drops. I think it’s way more thrilling than GotG!

Exactly. The point I was trying to make is that not only was TOT setting you up mentally but the finale I believe is more thrilling physically than any of the drops in GOTG:MB. I don’t think one drop goes the entire distance of the shaft as the TOT finale did. Am I wrong?

ParkPeeker

Mission: Crack House is a different ride than ToT. Way more emphasis on airtime and small drops. No build up, no pacing but OMG those 4K screens and rock music!!!
How much smaller are they, because I personally didn't notice the difference, the drops felt exactly the same. Then again the last time I went it was still tower of terror, which is to say I don't go very often, so I don't have either of the rides memorized like some frequent goers may.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
How much smaller are they, because I personally didn't notice the difference, the drops felt exactly the same. Then again the last time I went it was still tower of terror, which is to say I don't go very often, so I don't have either of the rides memorized like some frequent goers may.

The drops on M: BO feel like 10 ft at a time. ToT had 3 small drops, airtime, and the one huge drop from the very top.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

well that is different than saying specifically it was waning for Disneyland

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom