The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It would be like insisting that the Haunted Mansion is white because you prefer the one at Disneyland to the one at WDW. Your feelings and desires cannot cancel out facts.
there is only 1 true haunted mansion and it is white and in disneyland. that cartoony monstrosity at disneyworld with its interactive queue, stretching room that is already stretching before you enter the room, on ride photo opp with a super bright obvious flash, and cgi hitchiking ghosts should never be mentioned in the same breath as the SUPERIOR AND ORIGINAL DISNEYLAND VERISON. How dare you?!

Californian Elitist

She hates cops.

Clearly I have been whispering, Ariel should be a PALE REDHEAD. My displeasure would be the same if they cast a white blonde or brunette. I had no one specific in mind other than an actress that looks like Ariel.

Your interpretation of Beyoncé’s music/performance is quite wrong.

There was no way Disney would seek out pale redheads and pale redheads only. I can tell you don’t understand how casting works.

Rob Marshall picked Halle Bailey. It is what it is.

GingerGirl3

Sorry to disappoint you, but there are gingers of colour out there too:

I get it: you need Ariel to be white and can’t accept Halle in the role, no matter how irrational your objections are. Just stick to the cartoon and you’ll be fine.

It’s getting tiring. I’ve been quite clear on my opinion. I even tried to add humor to my opinion to dispel everyone who wants it to be about race. I am well aware that redheads naturally come in different skin tones. Doesn’t change my option on the character of Ariel.

@GingerGirl3, I’m going to tell you something, “ginger to ginger”: you’ve overplayed the ginger card and it’s getting exhausting.

Insert eye roll here. Sorry my attempt at humor went over your head. You must be a sensitive brown eyed ginger who didn’t like me casting you out of my minority protected class.

Just so we're clear. Your original rant from 12 pages ago was that you didn't know how to tell your kids for fear of the M&G being anything other than the cartoon version of Ariel. For which is a baseless claim anyways, since Disney hasn't change any of its other M&G characters from their cartoon versions.

Now we get to the real issue, which are yours alone and have nothing to do with your kids. You just see Ariel as being a white redhead, because that is who you are and don't want anything different. Ok, fair enough. So I got an easy answer to this whole thing. Long before the new live action movie comes out Disney will be launching their Disney+ streaming service. Which will no doubt have the 1989 animated version of The Little Mermaid and all the companion series that went along with it. Ignore the live action one, pretend it doesn't exist, and watch 1989 TLM on repeat on Disney+ and live in a bubble. Go to the parks and see the same redheaded version of Ariel that will continue to be there.

In reality the new live action films don't change the original animated features. They are still there, they didn't disappear. If you don't like the live action versions, don't watch them, and just go watch the animated ones.

BTW, as coming from a proud Irish family with plenty of gingers, none of us have an issue with this casting.

Still not what I said. I made very clear I was not worried about M&G anything. My point was and remains character consistency. Little kids wait in lines to meet the characters because they believe they are real. It makes no sense to change an established character. Again it’s why IPs are so valuable and companies like Disney spend so much money policing their trademarks.

There was no way Disney would seek out pale redheads and pale redheads only. I can tell you don’t understand how casting works.

There’s no interpretation of anything. Her words, videos and where she puts her money makes her feelings quite clear. I’d say more but I think it’s the wrong the forum.

How does casting work? hmmm enlighten me. You mean you should not cast only one race? So auditions should be colorblind?

We both know what you’d say to that until I bring up the auditions for Hamilton which were very much not color blind and was a conscious choice as the creator stated.

It can be what it is sure, but I’m allowed to have an opinion. The issue has become more that people are not allowed opinions anymore because of the thought police. Agree or you must be a racist is tiring. I’d reference how awesome that tactic is with the timely news about how that is working out for someone but again wrong forum.

GingerGirl3

Just so we're clear. Your original rant from 12 pages ago was that you didn't know how to tell your kids for fear of the M&G being anything other than the cartoon version of Ariel. For which is a baseless claim anyways, since Disney hasn't change any of its other M&G characters from their cartoon versions.

Now we get to the real issue, which are yours alone and have nothing to do with your kids. You just see Ariel as being a white redhead, because that is who you are and don't want anything different. Ok, fair enough. So I got an easy answer to this whole thing. Long before the new live action movie comes out Disney will be launching their Disney+ streaming service. Which will no doubt have the 1989 animated version of The Little Mermaid and all the companion series that went along with it. Ignore the live action one, pretend it doesn't exist, and watch 1989 TLM on repeat on Disney+ and live in a bubble. Go to the parks and see the same redheaded version of Ariel that will continue to be there.

In reality the new live action films don't change the original animated features. They are still there, they didn't disappear. If you don't like the live action versions, don't watch them, and just go watch the animated ones.

BTW, as coming from a proud Irish family with plenty of gingers, none of us have an issue with this casting.

Nope still wrong. I made it very clear my issue was not about changing future M&G actors but character consistency. Little kids are willing to wait in long lines to meet their favorite characters because they believe they are real. You know IPs have so much value that Disney goes to great lengths to police their trademarks because iconic characters matter.

Again this has gone beyond my actual opinion and more about the fact that the thought police cannot tolerate a contrary opinion.

GingerGirl3

Nope. Her words, action and where she puts her money makes it quite clear that it is not my interpretation. I’d say more but it’s the wrong forum.

Ahhh that’s cute. So casting should be colorblind?

We know what you’d say to that until I say Hamilton. They posted auditions that were quite clear of their exclusions of a certain class of people. The creator is on record saying the look was important to his vision. But we both know this attack only goes one way. It’s fun watching this identity and name calling being used on itself right now. I’d say more but it’s the wrong forum.

Again it is what it is sure, but people are allowed to be displeased and should be allowed to express a contrary opinion. The bigger issue now is those who are against the free expression of opposing views.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Again it is what it is sure, but people are allowed to be displeased and should be allowed to express a contrary opinion. The bigger issue now is those who are against the free expression of opposing views.

I'm sorry, but that free expression goes both ways. You're free to express displeasure of this casting, but you should expect free expression of the contrary opinion to yours.

No one is trying to suppress your views or even tell you that you can't have them. You seem to confuse criticism and in same cases humor as an attack against your opinion. That is not the case.

Californian Elitist

Nope. Her words, action and where she puts her money makes it quite clear that it is not my interpretation. I’d say more but it’s the wrong forum.

Ahhh that’s cute. So casting should be colorblind?

We know what you’d say to that until I say Hamilton. They posted auditions that were quite clear of their exclusions of a certain class of people. The creator is on record saying the look was important to his vision. But we both know this attack only goes one way. It’s fun watching this identity and name calling being used on itself right now. I’d say more but it’s the wrong forum.

Aaannddd you’re still wrong.

Did I say anything about colorblind casting? I didn’t bother reading the rest of your post beyond the colorblind part, since you assumed on my behalf.

GingerGirl3

I'm sorry, but that free expression goes both ways. You're free to express displeasure of this casting, but you should expect free expression of the contrary opinion to yours.

No one is trying to suppress your views or even tell you that you can't have them. You seem to confuse criticism and in same cases humor as an attack against your opinion. That is not the case.
Again, criticising your opinions isn’t the same as telling you to stop expressing them.

It’s not a free expression of ideas when you sling mud to stop opposing ideas. Ideas you disagree with are not by definition irrational. You keep attacking things I haven’t said and ignoring what I have said. Notice how I don’t say such things about you being fine with the casting. I just explained my stance.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s not a free expression of ideas when you sling mud to stop opposing ideas. Ideas you disagree with are not by definition irrational. You keep attacking things I haven’t said and ignoring what I have said. Notice how I don’t say such things about you being fine with the casting. I just explained my stance.
I'm sorry, but where did I sling mud or call you irrational?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom