The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Mac Tonight

OK, here's something I think we can all get on board with...

Terry Crews is King Triton.
D-0AEzHW4AITImb.jpg

For the record, this was taken from Terry's own twitter account.

GingerGirl3

I don’t really listen to her music or stay current with pop culture. I also don’t watch the news. What does #backthebadge have to do with Beyoncé?

I’m just saying she’s sessy.

She hates cops.

Ya’ll would not be screaming and crying #NotMyAriel if they had cast a blonde or brunette white woman.

Halle Bailey was cast due to her talent, plain and simple. It’s hilarious because the actresses people have been rooting for are not only non-readheads, but they’re not vocalists either.🤦🏾‍♀️

Clearly I have been whispering, Ariel should be a PALE REDHEAD. My displeasure would be the same if they cast a white blonde or brunette. I had no one specific in mind other than an actress that looks like Ariel.

Oh my Gosh...

We Wants the Redhead!

And seriously, I have always had a major thing for Redheads for my entire life. When I met my wife, she was a redhead, well, dyed, but still a nice, natural red.

But my first main love was a natural ginger, and we still keep in touch.

Ah that makes me think of Charlie Brown and the little redhaired girl! Your wife is very sweet and tolerant...clearly not a natural redhead 🤣 My husband knows better than to acknowledge there are any other women in this world.

LittleBuford

Even Wikipedia knows that ginger is just another word for redhead and by redhead I and Wikipedia mean the tiny percentage of the population with fair skin.

Sorry to disappoint you, but there are gingers of colour out there too:

I get it: you need Ariel to be white and can’t accept Halle in the role, no matter how irrational your objections are. Just stick to the cartoon and you’ll be fine.

TROR

Sorry to disappoint you, but there are gingers of colour out there too:

I get it: you need Ariel to be white and can’t accept Halle in the role, no matter how irrational your objections are. Just stick to the cartoon and you’ll be fine.
I don't get why this keeps getting put out as an evil thing to want tbh. Ariel is white. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a white Ariel just like there'd be nothing wrong with wanting a black Tiana.

LittleBuford

I don't get why this keeps getting put out as an evil thing to want tbh. Ariel is white. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a white Ariel just like there'd be nothing wrong with wanting a black Tiana.

Disney has spoken. Ariel is white in one version of the film and black in another. In other words, your assertion that “Ariel is white” is factually incorrect, as it pertains only to the 1989 film. It would be like insisting that the Haunted Mansion is white because you prefer the one at Disneyland to the one at WDW. Your feelings and desires cannot cancel out facts.

The comparison to Tiana is irrelevant. Tiana belongs to a specific time and place in which her race has narrative implications. Ariel, for the umpteenth time, is a mermaid whose story takes place in a fairytale realm.

TROR

Disney has spoken. Ariel is white in one version of the film and black in another. In other words, your assertion that “Ariel is white” is factually incorrect, as it pertains only to the 1989 film. It would be like insisting that the Haunted Mansion is white because you prefer the one at Disneyland to the one at WDW. Your feelings and desires cannot cancel out facts.

The comparison to Tiana is irrelevant. Tiana belongs to a specific time and place in which her race has narrative implications. Ariel, for the umpteenth time, is a mermaid whose story takes place in a fairytale realm.
Sleeping Beauty Castle is a man and The Haunted Mansion is white.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
She hates cops.

Clearly I have been whispering, Ariel should be a PALE REDHEAD. My displeasure would be the same if they cast a white blonde or brunette. I had no one specific in mind other than an actress that looks like Ariel.

Ah that makes me think of Charlie Brown and the little redhaired girl! Your wife is very sweet and tolerant...clearly not a natural redhead 🤣 My husband knows better than to acknowledge there are any other women in this world.

Just so we're clear. Your original rant from 12 pages ago was that you didn't know how to tell your kids for fear of the M&G being anything other than the cartoon version of Ariel. For which is a baseless claim anyways, since Disney hasn't change any of its other M&G characters from their cartoon versions.

Now we get to the real issue, which are yours alone and have nothing to do with your kids. You just see Ariel as being a white redhead, because that is who you are and don't want anything different. Ok, fair enough. So I got an easy answer to this whole thing. Long before the new live action movie comes out Disney will be launching their Disney+ streaming service. Which will no doubt have the 1989 animated version of The Little Mermaid and all the companion series that went along with it. Ignore the live action one, pretend it doesn't exist, and watch 1989 TLM on repeat on Disney+ and live in a bubble. Go to the parks and see the same redheaded version of Ariel that will continue to be there.

In reality the new live action films don't change the original animated features. They are still there, they didn't disappear. If you don't like the live action versions, don't watch them, and just go watch the animated ones.

BTW, as coming from a proud Irish family with plenty of gingers, none of us have an issue with this casting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom