The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

SuddenStorm

It is still better than Hagrid Magical Unicorn Land Ride. I like ROTR and don't think the name is totally bad . Yes, they could have made it more sophisticated, but do you think Disney is that capable of making good names. They literately called a ride about space, Space Mountain. I don't think there are huge mountains in space.

What's interesting about that name, is that it defies all logic- as you said, what is a "Space Mountain".

Not to mention both names are kinda bland. "Space" isn't a word that inspires- it requires context to figure out what kind of space the word is referencing. And "Mountain" is about as ordinary as you can get.

But somehow it worked- and it's iconic. I don't see "Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance" ever becoming an iconic name.

shortstop

What's interesting about that name, is that it defies all logic- as you said, what is a "Space Mountain".

Not to mention both names are kinda bland. "Space" isn't a word that inspires- it requires context to figure out what kind of space the word is referencing. And "Mountain" is about as ordinary as you can get.

But somehow it worked- and it's iconic. I don't see "Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance" ever becoming an iconic name.
It has to do with the cadence of it. Names that are short and sweet without excessive punctuation just sound so much better.

When was the last time any of us referred to IJA by its full name? Compare that to its neighbor, Jungle Cruise. Short, descriptive, and iconic.

It seems attraction names are much, much worse when they incorporate names of IP.

Rich T

It has to do with the cadence of it. Names that are short and sweet without excessive punctuation just sound so much better.

When was the last time any of us referred to IJA by its full name? Compare that to its neighbor, Jungle Cruise. Short, descriptive, and iconic.

It seems attraction names are much, much worse when they incorporate names of IP.
The names these days often sound like they had to be approved by 100 committee meetings of overpaid execs. Which I'm sure is pretty close to what actually happens.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I think Star Wars fans often forget the intent behind what George Lucas intended the franchise to be. He always called it a space opera and likened it to being a movie version of the old campy Flash Gordon-type series'. Something adventurous, fun, and not to be taken too seriously. I think that's always been a part of the naming of the movies. Iconic things like this that we grow up with become so normalized in our minds that we don't really step back and think about how silly things would sound the first time we hear them. That's why we have a reaction to thinking "Rise of the Resistance" is a silly name. The words "Star Wars" is really kind silly and operatic if you step back and pretend you've never heard it before.

The same can be said for the words 'The Empire Strikes Back". We've heard it so many times we don't really think about how much that sounds like the end of a 1930's Sci-Fi serial. "Next week on Flash Gordon, the Empire strikes back!". It's campy....the way Star Wars should be. Most fans would think my last sentence is heresy, but Star Wars was meant to be kinda campy, but today we take it too seriously.

"Return of the Jedi", "The Phantom Menace", "Attack of the Clones". "Rise of the Resistance" fits. George knew what he was doing when naming his campy space operas because he knew at his core what he wanted Star Wars to be, not what the fans wanted it to be or turned it into.

Rich T

I think Star Wars fans often forget the intent behind what George Lucas intended the franchise to be. He always called it a space opera and likened it to being a movie version of the old campy Flash Gordon-type series'. Something adventurous, fun, and not to be taken too seriously. I think that's always been a part of the naming of the movies. Iconic things like this that we grow up with become so normalized in our minds that we don't really step back and think about how silly things would sound the first time we hear them. That's why we have a reaction to thinking "Rise of the Resistance" is a silly name. The words "Star Wars" is really kind silly and operatic if you step back and pretend you've never heard it before.

The same can be said for the words 'The Empire Strikes Back". We've heard it so many times we don't really think about how much that sounds like the end of a 1930's Sci-Fi serial. "Next week on Flash Gordon, the Empire strikes back!". It's campy....the way Star Wars should be. Most fans would think my last sentence is heresy, but Star Wars was meant to be kinda campy, but today we take it too seriously.

"Return of the Jedi", "The Phantom Menace", "Attack of the Clones". "Rise of the Resistance" fits. George knew what he was doing when naming his campy space operas because he knew at his core what he wanted Star Wars to be, not what the fans wanted it to be or turned it into.
While I agree RotR does fit the film series perfectly, I don't think it's a catchy name for a theme park ride. It's not fun to say aloud, either--too much hissing. :D

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
While I agree RotR does fit the film series perfectly, I don't think it's a catchy name for a theme park ride. It's not fun to say aloud, either--too much hissing. :D

Risssssssssse of the Ressssssssisssssssstancccccccccce!

Definitely not catchy, but it's why you made the other thread. Attractions can have a long name, we will just shorten it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just remove the “Star Wars” and the Colon and I don’t have a problem with it.

Who is really going to say out loud every part of the name anyways? Its not like I hear many people saying "Lets go ride Star Tours The Adventures Continue", no they say "Lets go ride Star Tours" or maybe even just "Lets go ride Star Wars". The same will be done here. "Lets go ride Rise" or "Lets go ride the Resistance ride".

mickEblu

Original Poster
Who is really going to say out loud every part of the name anyways? Its not like I hear many people saying "Lets go ride Star Tours The Adventures Continue", no they say "Lets go ride Star Tours" or maybe even just "Lets go ride Star Wars". The same will be done here. "Lets go ride Rise" or "Lets go ride the Resistance ride".

That’s not the point. The name is too long and overly descriptive and not aesthetically pleasing with a colon.

No more Colons.

SuddenStorm

The reason everyone calls it Star Tours, is because for two decades that was the entire title for the ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s not the point. The name is too long and overly descriptive and not aesthetically pleasing with a colon.

No more Colons.

I understand what you're saying. But my point is it doesn't matter what Disney calls it, that is the name for the map. Guests are going to call it something else that makes sense to them.

Disney could name an attraction #thelongestnameforanattractionevercreatedwithsillysoundingnamesandwhateverelsetheywanttothrowin and guests will still call it "The long name" attraction.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I understand what you're saying. But my point is it doesn't matter what Disney calls it, that is the name for the map. Guests are going to call it something else that makes sense to them.

Disney could name an attraction #thelongestnameforanattractionevercreatedwithsillysoundingnamesandwhateverelsetheywanttothrowin and guests will still call it "The long name" attraction.

Yes but this is another point entirely. My point is that modern Disney sucks at naming rides.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The reason everyone calls it Star Tours, is because for two decades that was the entire title for the ride.

True, but its not like if it was introduced today guests would start calling it Star Tours The Adventures Continue. No, they would still call it Star Tours. Its because guests will always short hand ride names.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes but this is another point entirely. My point is that modern Disney sucks at naming rides.

Ok, I'll concede to your point. But my point is still the same. It doesn't matter what Disney calls it for the maps. Guests will still call it something different. Plus as has been stated in other threads, Disney is not unique in this. Ride names for all sorts of parks around the world now all suck.

mickEblu

Original Poster

We here can’t even come to a consensus on what the general population will call Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. That’s not a sign of a good name.

SuddenStorm

Ok, I'll concede to your point. But my point is still the same. It doesn't matter what Disney calls it for the maps. Guests will still call it something different. Plus as has been stated in other threads, Disney is not unique in this. Ride names for all sorts of parks around the world now all suck.

I dunno, I never feel the need to abbreviate Tatsu, x2, Goliath, Twisted Colossus.

Weird to think there's something Six Flags might have an edge in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom