The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

SpaceX did it again tonight, launching over Disneyland just after dusk. Incredible.

Which Is Cooler, The Matterhorn Or The SpaceX Rocket.jpg

And here's how it looked in real time from Star Wars Land earlier tonight. Double Incredible.

But sure, keep the Starcade, Innoventions, and Tomorrowland Theater all closed and abandoned. It's better that way, and Bob Iger won't get his feelings hurt. ;)

Last edited:

TP2000

Someone on that oddball movie box office thread tried to put me and my (mostly dead) family down today, and I was having none of it. I have so much to be thankful for in life, and so much I've been blessed with by being born in this great country, that you just can't make me sad about myself or my life. And then it hit me...

It's officially summer today! Let's get going gang, and ramp up the summer fun and vibes! Get your car waxed up, your Disneyland tickets reserved, your suntan lotion in the beach bag, and go, go, GO! :cool:πŸ₯³πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸŒ­β›±οΈ

I hope everyone here has some fun summer plans, involving Disneyland or other fun in the sun, and that we all enjoy this beautiful world we live in! Here's a tune I'm about to blast on the home system, plus an old Disneyland favorite that always gets my toes tapping. Summer Means Fun, and there's nothing so fun as a Summer Nightastic Date Nite at Disneyland!

Disney Analyst

Finally got on Rise of the Resistance today. Wow. I’ve never teared up from an attraction before, but this one did it to me. Simply incredible.

But, what a pain in the butt! This ride has been down more over the last two days than it has been up. Constant breakdowns. Finally got on today after we caught it coming back up, only waited 35 minutes to first pre-show. It went back down maybe 45-60 minutes later, and never reopened before the 7pm closing time due to tonight’s after hours.

What is wrong with this attraction that it cannot run reliably?

TP2000

Why do you think Tokyo Disney Sea built a sindbad ride instead of just doing an Aladdin ride

Valid question. I forget where I read this, it was decades ago now, but I remember reading that in the mid 1990's the senior executives of OLC were all Japanese men in their 60's, having been born in pre-war Japan but grown up in post-war Japan. And apparently in post-war Japan under command of General MacArthur the school system used the Thousand And One Nights of Arabia and the tales of Sinbad as told by British Author (forgot his first name, initials) Yates in their standard English literature courses.

As such, Japanese men of that generation held great regard for the Sinbad stories, much like a man of my generation would have a natural point of reference and fondness for standard public school reading of my youth like George Orwell's 1984 or Fahrenheit 451 or Animal Farm. We all read it in school, and remember it fondly as adults.

The WDI team learned this in their research, and thus pitched the idea of a Small World style animatronic E Ticket based on Sinbad and his stories. The OLC execs circa 1996 bought it hook, line, and sinker. Even if the younger Japanese audiences of 2001 showed up at Tokyo DisneySea and just sort of said "Uh, okay... at least it's 10 minutes long and air conditioned." 😁

Rich T

Why do you think Tokyo Disney Sea built a sindbad ride instead of just doing an Aladdin ride
Because they had the creativity and freedom to build a fresh new experience instead of rehashing an existing IP.

The park’s excellent blend of the unknown and the familiar is one of the biggest reasons it’s so highly regarded.

Communicora

Premium Member

TP2000

I feel terrible for that man who sold the home he grew up in and inherited. Disney should do the right thing and make things right with these employees.

Mr. Fong? Yes, that got me too. Just tragic.

I was interested to read this lawsuit is from all white collar folks, including senior executives. Ms. De La Cruz is a Vice President.

It's not often you see senior management joining a class action lawsuit against their employer. But it seems that Disney really screwed up their lives, and the lives of their families, and has yet to make it right. So they're left with no choice but to sue their current employer. Really a bad take for Disney to do this.

But Mr. Fong selling his childhood home because Disney forced him to really hits you in the gut.

TP2000

I'm purposely not going to Google to find out, but for decades I have sung one particular lyric to Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah on Splash Mountain this way because that's what the lyric sounded like at circa 1990 Disneyland.

"You've learned it well, Br'er Rabbit, Epcot's a nasty habit!"

Try not to go to Google if you can, but can anyone tell me what that lyric actually says? Surely it's not a disparagement of EPCOT Center.

With Splash Mountain now closed, I'm ready to learn and put that 35 year chapter of my lyrically challenged life into the history books. But I want one of the smart folks here to tell me, instead of just an impersonal Google search.

I'm purposely not going to Google to find out, but for decades I have sung one particular lyric to Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah on Splash Mountain this way because that's what the lyric sounded like at circa 1990 Disneyland.

"You've learned it well, Br'er Rabbit, Epcot's a nasty habit!"

Try not to go to Google if you can, but can anyone tell me what that lyric actually says? Surely it's not a disparagement of EPCOT Center.

With Splash Mountain now closed, I'm ready to learn and put that 35 year chapter of my lyrically challenged life into the history books. But I want one of the smart folks here to tell me, instead of just an impersonal Google search.
If I remember correctly the real line went "getting caught's a nasty habit".

mickEblu

Original Poster
Because they had the creativity and freedom to build a fresh new experience instead of rehashing an existing IP.

The park’s excellent blend of the unknown and the familiar is one of the biggest reasons it’s so highly regarded.

The POV of this ride does nothing for me. Ive seen its a couple times and it comes across as a Disney park attraction knockoff. Like if you turned on episode of The Simpsons or Family Guy and they went to a "Disney" theme park. The concept of an original (non IP) attraction using cartoony human characters just doesn't quite register or make sense to me.

The POV of this ride does nothing for me. Ive seen its a couple times and it comes across as a Disney park attraction knockoff. Like if you turned on episode of The Simpsons or Family Guy and they went to a "Disney" theme park. The concept of an original (non IP) attraction using cartoony human characters just doesn't quite register or make sense to me.
Have you seen the original version before they kidified it? As I recall from the videos I've seen, it looked pretty cool back then!

mickEblu

Original Poster
Have you seen the original version before they kidified it? As I recall from the videos I've seen, it looked pretty cool back then!

I'm not sure. The original wasn't so cartoony? I guess I don't understand the point of going with cartoony human characters when you are Disney and have such a vast catalogue of the most beloved animated movies and characters? Just kind of comes off as generic. I think unless you are going more realistic (like POTC) you have to use the IP. With that said, I get that they wanted to tell the story of Sinbad and Disney doesn't have an animated Sinbad movie. I don't think the same rule applies to original non human characters like the Country Bears, Tiki birds or animals from the JC. Certainly an argument could be made that I only feel that way because I grew up with those attractions but I think something about POTC being more realistic and CBJ/JC consisting of animals and super charming well executed bears makes them work. There is something about the characters being human AND cartoony that just comes off as knockoff to me. Like the ride is based on some direct to DVD movie from some unknown studio.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom