The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

The POV of this ride does nothing for me. Ive seen its a couple times and it comes across as a Disney park attraction knockoff. Like if you turned on episode of The Simpsons or Family Guy and they went to a "Disney" theme park. The concept of an original (non IP) attraction using cartoony human characters just doesn't quite register or make sense to me.
I had the opposite reaction; I like nearly everything about the ride from the povs I’ve seen. I love the staging of the scenes—particularly the camels carrying the treasures across the archway into the town near the the end. And, I confess, I love Menken’s song “Compass of Your Heart.” It’s in my Disney top 10.

No, if you want to see a parody of a Disney ride, I think TBA currently owns that category, IMO.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I had the opposite reaction; I like nearly everything about the ride from the povs I’ve seen. I love the staging of the scenes—particularly the camels carrying the treasures across the archway into the town near the the end. And, I confess, I love Menken’s song “Compass of Your Heart.” It’s in my Disney top 10.

No, if you want to see a parody of a Disney ride, I think TBA currently owns that category, IMO.

I agree that the staging and all that is good. It’s just weird to me to see cartoony characters on a Disney attraction that I don’t recognize. Imagine a smaller version in the Fantasyland courtyard with the other dark rides. It wouldn’t work. Although Mr. Toad may very well be that to many people. Toad is just such a novelty though. Anyway, I get that Fantasyland and where Sinbad is located at TDS is a different situation.

Rich T

I'm not sure. The original wasn't so cartoony? I guess I don't understand the point of going with cartoony human characters when you are Disney and have such a vast catalogue of the most beloved animated movies and characters? Just kind of comes off as generic. I think unless you are going more realistic (like POTC) you have to use the IP. With that said, I get that they wanted to tell the story of Sinbad and Disney doesn't have an animated Sinbad movie. I don't think the same rule applies to original non human characters like the Country Bears, Tiki birds or animals from the JC. Certainly an argument could be made that I only feel that way because I grew up with those attractions but I think something about POTC being more realistic and CBJ/JC consisting of animals and super charming well executed bears makes them work. There is something about the characters being human AND cartoony that just comes off as knockoff to me. Like the ride is based on some direct to DVD movie from some unknown studio.
I can see where you’re coming from, but it all works for me, because it’s so incredibly well done. And while the original version was a bit darker and didn’t feature the song, I do think the song ties everything together in the current version.

I wouldn’t want to see this style of cartoony human AAs used a LOT, but for this one-shot try at something unique, I love it. As a guest, I’d much rather try something different such as this, with a story containing some actual “danger” (even as mild and humorous as what happens in Sinbad) than just go through another parade of scenes-from-a-movie-one-might-have-seen-a-dozen-times.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I can see where you’re coming from, but it all works for me, because it’s so incredibly well done. And while the original version was a bit darker and didn’t feature the song, I do think the song ties everything together in the current version.

I wouldn’t want to see this style of cartoony human AAs used a LOT, but for this one-shot try at something unique, I love it. As a guest, I’d much rather try something different such as this, with a story containing some actual “danger” (even as mild and humorous as what happens in Sinbad) than just go through another parade of scenes-from-a-movie-one-might-have-seen-a-dozen-times.

I see what you mean. I imagine if I was a kid that grew up going to TDS I’d probably feel differently.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Although I will say @Rich T with TDS being out of expansion room now from what I understand I’m not sure Sinbad is long for this world. Unless it’s some super beloved attraction in Tokyo. But hey, so was Splash here.

Rich T

I agree that the staging and all that is good. It’s just weird to me to see cartoony characters on a Disney attraction that I don’t recognize. Imagine a smaller version in the Fantasyland courtyard with the other dark rides. It wouldn’t work. Although Mr. Toad may very well be that to many people. Toad is just such a novelty though. Anyway, I get that Fantasyland and where Sinbad is located at TDS is a different situation.
All good points. I’m giving this ride extra love for the song and the sheer uniqueness of it. If I were to encountered this at Efteling, Europa Park, or Islands of Adventure, I’d probably like it just as much.

… says this guy (me) who’s never actually ridden it…

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Here's the original:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I guess it's not as different as I remembered. Still very cartoony. But the Alan Menken song in the new one is great.

Yeah it’s just hard for me to get past the fact they feel like some bootleg characters. With that said, it’s very lively and unique. I don’t think it’s long for this world though. With Disneys IP catalogue, TDS running out of expansion room and the amount of space it takes up I’d imagine it’s one of the first on the chopping block. Only question is if they would retheme the whole lane or just turn the ride into an Aladdin ride or something.

Rich T

Yeah it’s just hard for me to get past the fact they feel like some bootleg characters. With that said, it’s very lively and unique. I don’t think it’s long for this world though. With Disneys IP catalogue, TDS running out of expansion room and the amount of space it takes up I’d imagine it’s one of the first on the chopping block. Only question is if they would retheme the whole lane or just turn the ride into an Aladdin ride or something.
That decision could come down to factors we don’t know, such as the ride’s level of popularity with local guests and how much Chandu tiger cub merch is sold.

I would love to see it remain a unique, non-film-IP-based attraction. Even if that means it turns into “Duffy Sails Around the World.”

PiratesMansion

Sindbad is a very good ride. Not necessarily my favorite, but it's the exact sort of ride that many people here say they want: an AA-heavy attraction (many of which have an impressive amount of motion compared to the ones in the US parks) of a decent length that fits into its area without awkwardly-shoved-in IP intruding on the show.

The song is great, and while I doubt the current Sindbad character has much to do with the one depicted in the story from centuries ago, I really appreciate his journey: he leaves his village to go out into the world, and he not only makes things better for the people he meets, but he doesn't forget where he comes from, eventually returning home and giving back to the people in his village. We need more Sindbads in this world.

As for whether or not it's long for this world, it's hard to say. It has the shortest waits of anything at TDS normally, and while part of that is capacity, its waits should theoretically be longer because there's nothing else in that park that moves as many people. I do think timing a massive refurbishment of the ride at the time a massive new land opens next door is a bit suspect. But maybe when the ride reopens they will have dropped the incredibly convoluted land/ride access system they have now and then it will actually be needed as excess capacity? I wish I understood their rationale there.

The ride certainly could go, or be turned into an Aladdin boat ride, but I really hope it stays. The park would be worse off without it IMO.

Consumer

I spent this weekend in the Sierras, visiting Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite. Two nights camping ($70) and gas ($110) cost me less than a one day, one park ticket to Disneyland. Far greater beauty for a far greater price. I love Grizzly Peak, but nothing can compete with the real thing.
IMG_3449.jpeg

IMG_3704.jpeg

IMG_3797.jpeg

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
For TP's viewing pleasure, supposed to be a good SpaceX launch tonight over SoCal at 847 if it's not cancelled-

Saw your post like 7 minutes before the launch so I ran up to the roof of my apartment here in San Jose to see if I could see it. It's about 200 miles as the crow flies.

1719201697938.png
1719201716618.png

1719201734192.png
1719201751184.png

MoonRakerSCM

Awesome! I always find it surprising when you're in a place and think no way could I see it from here, then there it pops up on the horizon!

It was pretty spectacular from where I am. I also noticed for the first time that I can see the re-entry burn as well from my backyard. Always cool.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Awesome! I always find it surprising when you're in a place and think no way could I see it from here, then there it pops up on the horizon!

It was pretty spectacular from where I am. I also noticed for the first time that I can see the re-entry burn as well from my backyard. Always cool.

Saw it on the way home tonight around 8:50 ish. very cool. Had no idea it was happening tonight and only knew what it was because of TPs posts.

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4498.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_4488.jpeg

IMG_4488.jpeg

IMG_4496.jpeg

IMG_4496.jpeg

TP2000

One more, just because this one is so... dare I say it... magical. o_O

Can you imagine if you told the 1955 Disneyland crowd that there would one day be SpaceX rockets launching several times per month from Vandenburgh Space Force Base right over Disneyland?!? And because smog had been conquered by the turn of the 21st century, you'd be able to see the launch as if it was a special effect shot in Panavision, and then anyone could instantly broadcast that sight to the entire world in HD?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom