The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

CaptinEO

I was a little hard on ROTR when it first opened. Mostly because the setting feels a bit sterile even if executed very well. Also because I felt a little let down in the lack of physical thrills on the ride and land as a whole. If you think about Star Wars is such an exciting franchise it is a bit of a crime that the most thrilling moment in the entire land is a a tiny two second drop. if that's not when you go all in on some thrill when do you? Anyway, yeah it's still a very cool, innovative experience and miles ahead of anything else they ve done in a while. People love it.
I agree with you for sure Star Wars land feels sterile but to be honest. They should've just built Rise of the Resistance in Tommorowland or something. I feel Disney builds too many E ticket thrill rides. Even Rise I feel doesn't need the drop and excludes a lot of families for having it.

There's something to be said for classics like Pirates, Small World, and Haunted Mansion that don't need physical thrills to be enjoyable.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I agree with you for sure Star Wars land feels sterile but to be honest. They should've just built Rise of the Resistance in Tommorowland or something. I feel Disney builds too many E ticket thrill rides. Even Rise I feel doesn't need the drop and excludes a lot of families for having it.

There's something to be said for classics like Pirates, Small World, and Haunted Mansion that don't need physical thrills to be enjoyable.

You only need to be 40 inches to get on ROTR. Most kids hit that by the time they’re four. Plus Disneyland has a ton of quality family attractions. More than probably any park on earth. Try going to Knotts or USH with a kid under 40 inches in the group. It’s pretty slim pickins other than flat rides.

Consumer

Grizzly Peak is undeniably the best land at DCA, but every time I think about it, it saddens me that it will never reach its full potential due to how poorly planned the entire park was. Sure, they can always add animatronic and fiberglass animals to Grizzly River Run, and that'd be wonderful, but give me a San Francisco inspired town, give me a mine train through the mountain, give me a California Gold Rush version of Western River Expedition underneath Grizzly Peak, give me Country Bear Jamboree, give me hiking trails on the mountain, give me tourist trap attractions you found in those National Park towns like a Museum of the Weird. There's so much potential with Grizzly Peak and yet it feels so squandered by lack of ambition.

CaptinEO

You only need to be 40 inches to get on ROTR. Most kids hit that by the time they’re four. Plus Disneyland has a ton of quality family attractions. More than probably any park on earth. Try going to Knotts or USH with a kid under 40 inches in the group. It’s pretty slim pickins other than flat rides.
Didn't realize 4 year olds can go on this, that's pretty good actually. Yes six flags and knotts are all in on coasters sadly. Kids can basically walk around with their parents all day or go to the kid land with a few rides in each park.

Phroobar

Didn't realize 4 year olds can go on this, that's pretty good actually. Yes six flags and knotts are all in on coasters sadly. Kids can basically walk around with their parents all day or go to the kid land with a few rides in each park.
I wouldn't consider Knotts "all in" on coasters. There are only six. Disneyland has four. Most of Knott's rides are accessible for kids under 40".

mickEblu

Original Poster
I wouldn't consider Knotts "all in" on coasters. There are only six. Disneyland has four. Most of Knott's rides are accessible for kids under 40".

That’s true. What Knotts and USH are missing are at least 3-4 quality attractions that the whole family can do together.

CaptinEO

They had more they've just remove them or replace them with newer coasters. But seems 90% of Knotts ride announcements are for coasters.

Phroobar

They had more they've just remove them or replace them with newer coasters. But seems 90% of Knotts ride announcements are for coasters.
Except it isn't. Hang Time was the last coaster install that replaced a boomerang coaster in 2018. Currently Knotts is down two coasters. Montazooma is never coming back and the Camp Snoopy one is being replaced with a new version that little kids can ride. last ride annoucements since Hang Time in (2018) have been flat rides for Camp Snoopy, Beary Tales and updated raft ride. Hardly 90%. More like zero.

Knotts has updated entire lands in the past couple of years. New dining and shows have been introduced. What shows is Disneyland currently running that aren't for toddlers?

Besides, what is with the witch hunt on coasters? Disneyland has them too but somehow that is acceptable.

Phroobar

That’s true. What Knotts and USH are missing are at least 3-4 quality attractions that the whole family can do together.
Will these work?

Calico Mine Ride
Timber Mountain log ride
Bear-y tales return to the fair
Calico Rapid River Run
Butterfield Stagecoach
Surfside gliders
Pacific Scrambler
Balloon Race
Sky Cabin
Charlie Brown's Kite Flyer
Carrousel de California
Hat Dance
Dragon Swing
Calico Railroad
Ghost Town

If you want a bunch of stuff two year olds can do there is always Adventure City in Anaheim. (only five miles from Disneyland and Knotts).

mickEblu

Original Poster
Will these work?

Calico Mine Ride
Timber Mountain log ride
Bear-y tales return to the fair
Calico Rapid River Run
Butterfield Stagecoach
Surfside gliders
Pacific Scrambler
Balloon Race
Sky Cabin
Charlie Brown's Kite Flyer
Carrousel de California
Hat Dance
Dragon Swing
Calico Railroad
Ghost Town

If you want a bunch of stuff two year olds can do there is always Adventure City in Anaheim. (only five miles from Disneyland and Knotts).

By quality I meant non flat rides/ spinners that have no height restrictions. I’m talking the POTC, JC, HM, IASW, Casey etc. Quality family rides that make the day feel full and varied. Which admittedly is an unfair ask of Knotts but not USH.

Of the list above Calico Railroad, Mine Ride and Beary Tales qualify although I’m not sure id call Beary Tales quality. I didn’t say they didnt have any. I wish they had 3-4 that I actually want to ride with my family. No interest in riding Beary Tales again. Calico Mine Ride although it made me feel like I was in a horror movie for various reasons I’d ride every once in a while. The railroad Id imagine is repeatable. Haven’t been on it though. Anyway I’m not driving an hour + in traffic for flat rides and the railroad. Just can’t do it. If everyone was over 40 inches and ready for the big coasters then that would be a different story.

USH for a family with a kid under 40 inches only has SLOP, the tram and a spinner.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Anyway I’m not driving an hour + in traffic for flat rides and the railroad. Just can’t do it. If everyone is over 40 inches and ready for the big coasters then that would be a different story.
Knotts has some really great entertainment for all ages.

I’m not sure why you count Casey jr. and not the l smaller railroad at Knotts, or the stagecoach, etc.

But you certainly don’t have to visit Knotts. I visit Disneyland way more that’s for sure.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Knotts has some really great entertainment for all ages.

I’m not sure why you count Casey jr. and not the l smaller railroad at Knotts, or the stagecoach, etc.

But you certainly don’t have to visit Knotts. I visit Disneyland way more that’s for sure.

I haven’t seen or been on the smaller railroad but I assumed it was a much smaller (and not as scenic) experience as Casey Jr.

Actually might go today haha. We’re in Irvine and might go on the way home.

TrainsOfDisney

I haven’t seen or been on the smaller railroad but I assumed it was a much smaller (and not as scenic) experience as Casey Jr.

Actually might go today haha. We’re in Irvine and might go on the way home.
From a train perspective it’s a real steam train which is pretty cool (that might be changing with the redo of the land) - to me it’s pretty similar. You go by snoopy scenes instead of storybook land.

Phroobar

By quality I meant non flat rides/ spinners that have no height restrictions. I’m talking the POTC, JC, HM, IASW, Casey etc. Quality family rides that make the day feel full and varied. Which admittedly is an unfair ask of Knotts but not USH.
True. Unfair comparison. No theme park in the country outside of Universal is going to make those kind of rides. Even Disney hardly makes them anymore. However there is charm to have a simple ghost train. The only one that can compete and is not owned by a multi-billion dollar entertainment conglomerate is Efteling in the Netherlands which totally outdoes most Disney/Uni parks.

Last edited:

Phroobar

From a train perspective it’s a real steam train which is pretty cool (that might be changing with the redo of the land) - to me it’s pretty similar. You go by snoopy scenes instead of storybook land.
I love the Galoping Goose on empty days.

iu

The Cordelia K. is a beautiful train.

iu

PiratesMansion

I wish we had more variety in the way that European parks do with more varied lineups, dark rides, proper theming, etc, but it's also true that many, many early theme parks in this country (notably, the original Six Flags parks) really did try to do Disneyland on a regional budget with jungle boat rides, regional dark rides, Mark Twain variants, etc. Look at the list of attractions at Six Flags Over Texas in 1961 when it opened, and it has way more in common with Disneyland than it does with the Six Flags parks of today.

But over time (and particularly after the birth of the modern looping coaster in the late 70s), more and more of these things were ripped out for rides, rides, and more rides.

I don't know if that says something about our what we desire from parks as a culture, about capitalism and marketing, or both, but it's definitely striking. Also not helping matters is that most areas of the country aren't dense enough in population to have several theme parks truly competing against each other, and the fact that most people would seemingly rather travel for anything else over traveling for theme parks.

Knott's, particularly when it's running with a full entertainment slate (i.e. not right now), actually has more to offer people that aren't interested in thrill rides than many, MANY other parks in the country. Beyond Disney, Universal, Knott's to a point, and places like Dollywood & Silver Dollar City, there are very few theme parks here that truly offer something for everyone.

AJFireman

I adore Pea Soup Andersen's! Hap-pea and Pea-wee (Do you get it?), working hard to split the peas for your soup!

That place is fantastic. The original one is near Solvang (Buellton?) as I remember, we went to it a few times in the 60's and 70's. But the most memorable one for me was the Santa Nella location on that desolate stretch of I-5 up the Central Valley. So many family road trips on that freeway coming and going in the 70's and early 80's when my folks were still alive, during and after my little sister graduated from Stanford. We always got the "Traveler's Special" with each meal, which was about a $1 add-on to any sandwich or entree, and it included a glass of milk, coffee or tea, an ice cream shake for dessert with a ridiculous paper straw that collapsed into mush on about the third slurp (decades before straws were a culture war issue), and an endless all-you-can-eat supply of pea soup with a little wicker basket full of different Danish crackers and butter pats. Do places even still do butter pats? That's a lost art.

My father, a proud Swede, would invariably mention to us after a visit to Pea Soup Andersen's as he was merging his giant Lincoln back onto the freeway that lunch was great and the Danes were good people, but they were ever so slightly inferior to the Swedes for.... a bizarre and endless array of reasons that could involve anything from modern furniture design to cheese making to the effective management of SAS airlines. While my mother smiled patiently in the front passenger seat until she could interrupt him with the bold announcement "Look, cows!".

There was also a Pea Soup Andersen's I used to go to in Carlsbad right off I-5 at the flower fields when I was coming/going to the family beach house in La Jolla, but it closed in the early 00's and became a TGIFriday's of all things. Except TGIFriday's was too cheap to retheme it, so it still has this giant Danish windmill towering above it for no good reason that must be very confusing for younger yet thematically aware freeway drivers. 🤣

But the absolutely MANDATORY event for us with any stop at Pea Soup Andersen's was the family photo in the plywood cutout in the parking lot of Hap-Pea and Pea-Wee (Seriously, do you get it? Tell me you get it.) splitting the peas for the soup. Honestly, if you didn't get that photo, you can't really say you have been to Pea Soup Andersen's.

Driving alone and just had the Traveler's Special for lunch? Ask a stranger to take your photo, they won't mind!
Looks like it closed https://www.ksbw.com/article/pea-soup-andersen-buellton-closed/46342280

mickEblu

Original Poster
True. Unfair comparison. No theme park in the country outside of Universal is going to make those kind of rides. Even Disney hardly makes them anymore. However there is charm to have a simple ghost train. The only one that can compete and is not owned by a multi-billion dollar entertainment conglomerate is Efteling in the Netherlands which totally outdoes most Disney/Uni parks.

Forgot to mention at DL, most of the family coasters/ thrill rides open up to the family at 40 inches. At Knotts it’s more like 48 inches.

Phroobar

Forgot to mention at DL, most of the family coasters/ thrill rides open up to the family at 40 inches. At Knotts it’s more like 48 inches.
I took my daughter on Space Mountain when she was tall enough to ride it. She screamed through the entire ride. I asked did you like it? She said yes. I asked do you want to go again? She screamed Noooooo!!!! and burst into tears. Now this girl will do every gut retching coaster on the planet. A child should ride a ride when she is brave enough to do not because she is tall enough and the parent really wants to do it.

We took her to universal and the tram entered the Earthquake portion of the ride. She had no clue what was going to happen. When the shaking started, she freaked out and wanted off the tram. She hasn't done it since mostly because Earthquake was closed every time she visited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom