The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Consumer

I've not been to Disneyland since 2022, and while I do look forward to going back again someday, with the price of a ticket, the closure of the Mansion and Splash, and Pixar Fest going on, I have no intention to return this summer. Instead, my plans for this summer include another road trip across the country, far less ambitious, but far more in the interest of Disneyland fans, so I thought I'd share some of my itinerary.

On the first leg of my journey, I'll be passing through the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and then swing down through Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. Perhaps the closest thing to Critter Country that exists given how prolific black bears are in the Smokys, and of course the Georgia's red clay serving as the inspiration for Splash Mountain. This will ultimately get me down to New Orleans where I'll have an entire day to enjoy the Dixie bands and the riverboats in the French Quarter. Though I don't expect to encounter at spooks, I do hope to make a stop at the Garden District to see the beautiful mansions.
1704507132283.png

1704506915999.png

After I'm finished in New Orleans, I'll be powering through Texas until my arrival at Guadalupe Mountains NP and Carlsbad Caverns NP, an obvious inspiration for the Rainbow Caverns. From there, I'll go on to White Sands NP, Chiricahua NM with its teetering rocks (another inspiration for the Mine Train), and then Saguaro NP (once again, a Mine Train inspiration). Finally I'll spend a night at Joshua Tree NP before returning to Los Angeles.
1704507171044.png

1704506816266.png

1704506644295.png

On my return back east, it looks like I'll be stopping to see the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon NP, the same formations that Big Thunder Mountain is modeled after, before passing through Colorado NM and the Rocky Mountains. Then it's on to Kansas City and St. Charles, MO, a real Main Street USA with American flag bunting and all.
1704506720967.png

View attachment 761814
1704506489278.png

So, while it is unfortunate I won't get the opportunity to visit Disneyland for a second year in a row, it's a good reminder that as beautiful and fun Disneyland is, it's an imitation of greater things out there.

mlayton144

I've not been to Disneyland since 2022, and while I do look forward to going back again someday, with the price of a ticket, the closure of the Mansion and Splash, and Pixar Fest going on, I have no intention to return this summer. Instead, my plans for this summer include another road trip across the country, far less ambitious, but far more in the interest of Disneyland fans, so I thought I'd share some of my itinerary.

On the first leg of my journey, I'll be passing through the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and then swing down through Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. Perhaps the closest thing to Critter Country that exists given how prolific black bears are in the Smokys, and of course the Georgia's red clay serving as the inspiration for Splash Mountain. This will ultimately get me down to New Orleans where I'll have an entire day to enjoy the Dixie bands and the riverboats in the French Quarter. Though I don't expect to encounter at spooks, I do hope to make a stop at the Garden District to see the beautiful mansions.
View attachment 761826
View attachment 761825

After I'm finished in New Orleans, I'll be powering through Texas until my arrival at Guadalupe Mountains NP and Carlsbad Caverns NP, an obvious inspiration for the Rainbow Caverns. From there, I'll go on to White Sands NP, Chiricahua NM with its teetering rocks (another inspiration for the Mine Train), and then Saguaro NP (once again, a Mine Train inspiration). Finally I'll spend a night at Joshua Tree NP before returning to Los Angeles.
View attachment 761827
View attachment 761824
View attachment 761819

On my return back east, it looks like I'll be stopping to see the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon NP, the same formations that Big Thunder Mountain is modeled after, before passing through Colorado NM and the Rocky Mountains. Then it's on to Kansas City and St. Charles, MO, a real Main Street USA with American flag bunting and all.
View attachment 761821
View attachment 761814
View attachment 761813

So, while it is unfortunate I won't get the opportunity to visit Disneyland for a second year in a row, it's a good reminder that as beautiful and fun Disneyland is, it's an imitation of greater things out there.
It’s not an imitation of anything, it’s one of a kind.

Consumer

It’s not an imitation of anything, it’s one of a kind.
Sleeping Beauty Castle is modeled after Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany. The Haunted Mansion is modeled after the (now demolished) Shipley-Lydecker House in Baltimore, MD. The Matterhorn is modeled after the Matterhorn in Switzerland. New Orleans Square is modeled after New Orleans. Plenty of Disneyland is an imitation of something from the real world. In most cases, the inspiration is better than what Disneyland offers.

CaptinEO

Sleeping Beauty Castle is modeled after Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany. The Haunted Mansion is modeled after the (now demolished) Shipley-Lydecker House in Baltimore, MD. The Matterhorn is modeled after the Matterhorn in Switzerland. New Orleans Square is modeled after New Orleans. Plenty of Disneyland is an imitation of something from the real world. In most cases, the inspiration is better than what Disneyland offers.
I agree. Disneyland is an idealized miniature version of many real world locations and concepts.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I was just thinking - would an original attraction even be appreciated here in the States anymore? I know we sometimes complain about too much IP and the fact that we don't get any original attractions anymore but as a parent I can say that it is exciting when I can take my kids for the first time on a new (or old) ride based on IP they know or love. I think for an original attraction to have a chance it either has to be thrill based or be on the scope/ scale of something like POTC. There's absolutely no way they would ever invest POTC money in 2024 to build an original attraction of that scope, scale and quality. Especially hard to take that risk when you own half of the IP in the world.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was just thinking - would an original attraction even be appreciated here in the States anymore? I know we sometimes complain about too much IP and the fact that we don't get any original attractions anymore but as a parent I can say that it is exciting when I can take my kids for the first time on a new (or old) ride based on IP they know or love. I think for an original attraction to have a chance it either has to be thrill based or be on the scope/ scale of something like POTC. There's absolutely no way they would ever invest POTC money in 2024 to build an original attraction of that scope, scale and quality. Especially hard to take that risk when you own half of the IP in the world.
I think this has been touched upon in the past. But I would agree that an original attraction probably wouldn't have the same appeal for regular park goers as it would for posters on a Fan Board like this. We are the rare breed, the ones that dive deeply into this. Most regular park goers don't care, they just look for what they know.

However with all that said. I think for an original attraction to be successful in the modern era it has to have a large enough hook that it can't be avoided. I don't have a good example, but something that just draws people in without having the hook of an IP.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Not just nostalgia but futuristic tech too. I'm glad we got ROTR a few years back, it was the only innovative thing they've done in US parks in a long time.

I was a little hard on ROTR when it first opened. Mostly because the setting feels a bit sterile even if executed very well. Also because I felt a little let down in the lack of physical thrills on the ride and land as a whole. If you think about Star Wars is such an exciting franchise it is a bit of a crime that the most thrilling moment in the entire land is a a tiny two second drop. if that's not when you go all in on some thrill when do you? Anyway, yeah it's still a very cool, innovative experience and miles ahead of anything else they ve done in a while. People love it.

Consumer

Would an original attraction be successful? Absolutely. Attractions like the Disneyland Railroad or Grizzly River Run are successful because they offer a place to rest one's feet or a refreshing cool down on a hot day. As long as an original attraction can manage to give the guests something they need, I think it would be a success.

That said, would Disney consider such an attraction a success? No, because Disney's main concern is ticket and merch sales, which an original attraction is less likely to produce.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Kilimanjaro Safaris, Soarin, Everest - these are just as appreciated as modern attractions I believe. (Latest opening 2006 but I don’t think the public has changed too much since then!)

Well Everest is a thrill ride and Kilimanjaro is an outlier but I think Soarin is a good example eventhough when it opened it was a very unique take on a simulator. I guess that's the takeaway - for an original attraction to work it has to either be a thrill ride or be very unique and/or grand. I don't think making an original version of a Frozen Ever After or MMRR would work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom