The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

truecoat

I understand Disney isn't at fault for this (I considered saying that in my initial post just to prevent a reply like yours, but foolishly I decided it was unnecessary), but that doesn't mean it doesn't look bad for Disney. From a brawl, to a lamppost falling on guests, and now this, even if they're not all Disney's fault, most people don't want to take their children to where these things happen.

These things can happen anywhere. When you get a hundred thousand people over the course of a day in one area, it's not going to all be magic. Events like this aren't new to Disneyland, we have social media now and everything is everywhere...all at once.

Just saw the concept art for the star in wish and it sounds like the original version would have made for a better film

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127_093135_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127_093135_Reddit.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 70

mickEblu

Original Poster
Asha don't need no man granting her wishes of talking animals growing large.

I will say either may have been better than what we got. Also the Star guy and that piece of art with Asha look very classic Disney. Maybe they decided he looked/felt too much like Peter Pan. Or they decided “she don’t need no man.” You have to hope these choices are made with story first in mind but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Consumer

Why did Narnia never receive any real representation in the Disney Parks? The first movie was one of the best live action Disney pictures of all time and is an annual Christmas classic. The only example I can think of it in the parks was Journey into Narnia at Disney's Hollywood Studios, which was just a cheap walk through exhibit.

I would fully be in favor of filling the lagoon and tearing out Autopia in favor of Fantasyland receiving a winter wonderland subland that encapsulated the Matterhorn, the Marc Davis Snow Queen ride, a Narnia attraction, a Frozen attraction, and a permanent home for Santa Claus.

Phroobar

Why did Narnia never receive any real representation in the Disney Parks? The first movie was one of the best live action Disney pictures of all time and is an annual Christmas classic. The only example I can think of it in the parks was Journey into Narnia at Disney's Hollywood Studios, which was just a cheap walk through exhibit.

I would fully be in favor of filling the lagoon and tearing out Autopia in favor of Fantasyland receiving a winter wonderland subland that encapsulated the Matterhorn, the Marc Davis Snow Queen ride, a Narnia attraction, a Frozen attraction, and a permanent home for Santa Claus.
Didn't Prince Caspin under preform and Disney ditched the series?

TP2000

First Lady Rosalyn Carter last week, and now Dr. Henry Kissinger. RIP Dr. Kissinger.

This is certainly the month for 1970's icons to go, isn't it? :(

For you young'uns, Henry Kissinger was a titan of diplomacy and American goodwill. He almost single-handedly opened up Communist China for the Nixon Administration in 1972, just a few years after the Communists finished their Cultural Revolution which killed millions of political opponents across the country, and killed a hundred million peasants or more via the disastrous farm and social policies the Cultural Revolution wrought upon those poor people. But Henry Kissinger saw the future, and knew that 1 Billion Chinamen could not be held down under Communist oppression forever. He wanted to get them friendly with America instead of the Soviets, and it worked. He won the Nobel Peace Prize for his work on behalf of the Nixon Administration.

Like all of us here, Henry Kissinger loved to visit Disneyland. When President Nixon had his Western White House set up down in San Clemente, Dr. Kissinger would visit Disneyland regularly. He allegedly requested to be set up as a popcorn salesman in the Central Plaza, and would wile a way a few hours selling popcorn in a CM's getup to unsuspecting tourists.

Can you imagine buying a box of popcorn in 1972 from the guy who orchestrated opening up Communist China?!?

Phroobar

First Lady Rosalyn Carter last week, and now Dr. Henry Kissinger. RIP Dr. Kissinger.

This is certainly the month for 1970's icons to go, isn't it? :(

For you young'uns, Henry Kissinger was a titan of diplomacy and American goodwill. He almost single-handedly opened up Communist China for the Nixon Administration in 1972, just a few years after the Communists finished their Cultural Revolution which killed millions of political opponents across the country, and killed a hundred million peasants or more via the disastrous farm and social policies the Cultural Revolution wrought upon those poor people. But Henry Kissinger saw the future, and knew that 1 Billion Chinamen could not be held down under Communist oppression forever. He wanted to get them friendly with America instead of the Soviets, and it worked. He won the Nobel Peace Prize for his work on behalf of the Nixon Administration.

Like all of us here, Henry Kissinger loved to visit Disneyland. When President Nixon had his Western White House set up down in San Clemente, Dr. Kissinger would visit Disneyland regularly. He allegedly requested to be set up as a popcorn salesman in the Central Plaza, and would wile a way a few hours selling popcorn in a CM's getup to unsuspecting tourists.

Can you imagine buying a box of popcorn in 1972 from the guy who orchestrated opening up Communist China?!?

So when he rode the Matterhorn, why didn't the secret service just ride in the front and back cars? That would have taken care of the e-stop problem.

Parteecia

Life Day sporks are still available. I bought one despite its bias. Should I ever need the tines I will try the ol' left handed hook method.

I wonder if they'll let me bring it back in through security?

Oddly enough, mobile order allowed that transaction but not a drink earlier in the day. Instead, it scolded me and warned that the app uses "real money."

truecoat

Can someone explain something to me? I watched a ride through of the Zootopia ride over in Shanghai. WTH am I seeing at the 1:52 mark? Is this a joke I'm missing since I haven't seen the movie or does it look very inappropriate. I'm no prude and roll my eyes at a lot of what people say is bad or bad for kids but what is this?

Consumer

Can someone explain something to me? I watched a ride through of the Zootopia ride over in Shanghai. WTH am I seeing at the 1:52 mark? Is this a joke I'm missing since I haven't seen the movie or does it look very inappropriate. I'm no prude and roll my eyes at a lot of what people say is bad or bad for kids but what is this?

It looks like a Universal Studios ride but with an inflated budget. Shiny but with nothing underneath. There is no soul here.

TP2000

So when he rode the Matterhorn, why didn't the secret service just ride in the front and back cars? That would have taken care of the e-stop problem.

Good question. My first thought is that a Secretary of State does not receive Secret Service protection? Or do they?

Of all the articles I'd read and stories I'd heard about Dr. Kissinger and his famous Disneyland visits, it seemed like he just went there on his own, driving up the Santa Ana Freeway from San Clemente for the afternoon.

I have an old friend in Villa Park who was a docent for many years at the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda, I'm going to ask her for more info!

mickEblu

Original Poster
It looks like a Universal Studios ride but with an inflated budget. Shiny but with nothing underneath. There is no soul here.

Looks better and a lot less warehouse-y than Runaway Railway. More physical props and better staging than MMRR too. It actually feels more like a (much) lesser version of ROTR. But yeah all of these trackless ride are missing something for me. One in each park is more than enough. They all just seem so formulaic and underwhelming. Hunny Hunt is the only one I’ve seen that has any soul but that may say more about the era it was built and the imagineers who worked on it than anything else. And OLC.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Why did Narnia never receive any real representation in the Disney Parks?
Couldn't say, but I do recall Al Lutz reporting during the film's heyday that Disney was considering an attraction to replace Muppetvision at DCA. The preshow supposedly would have used an optical illusion to have guests enter a magic wardrobe into the main theater where a Narnia 4D show would take place.
Didn't Prince Caspin under preform and Disney ditched the series?
That is what I always heard. Never quite understood it, I enjoyed the movie.

truecoat

There's a scene in the movie where they investigate at a nudist colony. It's funny because animals don't normally wear clothes.

Ride looks great for a park without any other trackless dark rides. Keep it exclusive to Shanghai

Um, in this day and age having a peep show in the middle of a ride is pretty risqué.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Is that a Rise-style drop/simulator sequence in the middle of the Zootopia ride?

Looks quite impressive in many respects, but I agree that it feels soulless. Despite all the practical stuff, the busy screens and cheesy/tired story beats (we're falling!) make it feel like a very plussed-up Despicable Me ride. But not a bad attraction by any means. Queue looks fun.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Is that a Rise-style drop/simulator sequence in the middle of the Zootopia ride?

Looks quite impressive in many respects, but I agree that it feels soulless. Despite all the practical stuff, the busy screens and cheesy/tired story beats (we're falling!) make it feel like a very plussed-up Despicable Me ride. But not a bad attraction by any means. Queue looks fun.

No it’s like the waterfall scene at MMRR. Which is disappointing but FWIW the waterfall scene is one of my favorite parts of MMRR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom