The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

MoonRakerSCM

Only thing I'd say is that humor in the scene with Brer Bear is that he has been tied up in a humorous manner. Zootopia makes it quite clear that the scene is about the animals exposing their privates.

MoonRakerSCM

Yeah, I'm no prude, and in the film I thought the scene was hilarious. It just seems a bit jarring in the ride (I've not watched it with audio, so may not have all context, I assume an amusing startled scream).

Consumer

Only thing I'd say is that humor in the scene with Brer Bear is that he has been tied up in a humorous manner. Zootopia makes it quite clear that the scene is about the animals exposing their privates.
Br'er Bear sticking his gyat is a running gag throughout Splash Mountain.
1701456517205.png

1701456522536.png

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

No it’s like the waterfall scene at MMRR. Which is disappointing but FWIW the waterfall scene is one of my favorite parts of MMRR.

That is indeed disappointing. For a second there I thought Disney just nonchalantly threw an extraordinarily impressive moment into the middle of this family attraction.

That said, the M&MRR waterfall scene is fun and a highlight for me too.

I’m indifferent I guess but I find it interesting that the same company that put Jessica Rabbit in a trench coat created this scene.

I’m still offended by this.

mickEblu

Original Poster
That is indeed disappointing. For a second there I thought Disney just nonchalantly threw an extraordinarily impressive moment into the middle of this family attraction.

That said, the M&MRR waterfall scene is fun and a highlight for me too.

I’m still offended by this.

This is going to sound dramatic but that one thing almost made the ride nonexistent to me. The first scene with her in a trench coat just kills any nostalgia and tells you this isn’t the Roger Rabbit you loved and grew up watching as a kid. But the worst part is that it’s just a reminder of everything I hate about modern Disney.

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

But the worst part is that it’s just a reminder of everything I hate about modern Disney.

100%. It’s also the rare move by modern Disney that is intended to score points with progressive Twitter lunatics but is so boneheaded it swings all the way back around to being conservative/pearl-clutching/reactionary. I suspect no one is enthusiastic about the trench coat (maybe some parents of young children?).

I rode the attraction recently for the first time in many years, and (trench coat aside) it’s such a delight. Disney should stop fixing what ain’t broke.

mickEblu

Original Poster
100%. It’s also the rare move by modern Disney that is intended to score points with progressive Twitter lunatics but is so boneheaded it swings all the way back around to being conservative/pearl-clutching/reactionary. I suspect no one is enthusiastic about the trench coat (maybe some parents of young children?

Lol exactly! This is why what @Consumer said the other day makes so much sense. It was 100% about not appearing to be misogynistic. Nothing to do with her being too sexualized for children. They somehow managed to appear Conservative with this move and had the audience they made this change for scratching their heads. Modern day feminists don’t want to be told to cover up. These aren’t your grandpas feminists.

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Lol exactly! This is why what @Consumer said the other day makes so much sense. It was 100% about not appearing to be misogynistic. Nothing to do with her being too sexualized for children.

Did Disney pretend the trench coat was about Jessica being too sexualized for children? I just assumed the DEI team rode Car Toon Spin (without having seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit), saw Jessica and misjudged the character/film as outdated/misogynistic.

Modern day feminists don’t want to be told to cover up. These aren’t your grandpas feminists.

Exactly. Especially in SoCal, this attitude is culturally out of step.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Did Disney pretend the trench coat was about Jessica being too sexualized for children? I just assumed the DEI team rode Car Toon Spin (without having seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit), saw Jessica and misjudged the character/film as outdated/misogynistic.

Exactly. Especially in SoCal, this attitude is culturally out of step.

No they never said anything to insinuate that. For whatever reason I think that was my perception when they announced the change from what I remember. Not sure why. Because when you think about modern Disney and the fact that she was tied up in the trunk during that scene it makes sense that it would be more about misogyny than anything else. So in typical Disney fashion they had to over do it. Instead of just taking her out of the trunk, they had to take her out of the trunk and make her a Private Eye. She’s not the victim anymore. She’s the hero. Ironically she was a hero in the movie is well, dress and all… and thats something modern feminists would approve. I think it’s all coming back to me now. I think I did realize it was about misogyny at the time but just forgot over the last couple years or so as it wasn’t really something that was talked about very long or often. I forgot about the details of her being tied up in the trunk. Anyway, they had to overdo it of course. Same thing they did with Redd in POTC. Same crap they re doing with their movies.

Rich T

It looks like a Universal Studios ride but with an inflated budget. Shiny but with nothing underneath. There is no soul here.
I would say that all the Harry Potter rides, Mario Kart, everything at Seuss Landing, and, heck even Velocicoaster and Villain Con have more soul, for me, than any non-treehouse attraction Disney’s created for the U.S. parks in a long, long, long time.

I will say I’m very disappointed the new Zootopia ride has so much in common with Runaway Railway, which pretty much defines shiny-with-no-soul for me (DL queue excepted).

Phroobar

I would say that all the Harry Potter rides, Mario Kart, everything at Seuss Landing, and, heck even Velocicoaster and Villain Con have more soul, for me, than any non-treehouse attraction Disney’s created for the U.S. parks in a long, long, long time.

I will say I’m very disappointed the new Zootopia ride has so much in common with Runaway Railway, which pretty much defines shiny-with-no-soul for me (DL queue excepted).
It reminds me of the Madagascar ride in Singapore. Disney store figures with some screens in the background. Very cheap. Even the Hotel Transylvania ride was trackless.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

No they never said anything to insinuate that. For whatever reason I think that was my perception when they announced the change from what I remember. Not sure why. Because when you think about modern Disney and the fact that she was tied up in the trunk during that scene it makes sense that it would be more about misogyny than anything else. So in typical Disney fashion they had to over do it. Instead of just taking her out of the trunk, they had to take her out of the trunk and make her a Private Eye. She’s not the victim anymore. She’s the hero. Ironically she was a hero in the movie is well, dress and all… and thats something modern feminists would approve. I think it’s all coming back to me now. I think I did realize it was about misogyny at the time but just forgot over the last couple years or so as it wasn’t really something that was talked about very long or often. I forgot about the details of her being tied up in the trunk. Anyway, they had to overdo it of course. Same thing they did with Redd in POTC. Same crap they re doing with their movies.

I completely agree; a well-intended but misguided desire to place women in the foreground of as many stories as possible (even a low-key 1994 dark ride based on a 1988 film starring Bob Hoskins) while liberating said characters from any shortcomings or vulnerability or humanity resulted in... a clunky trench coat being thrown on an already empowered female character and an embarrassingly half-hearted reworking of the "plot" to involve Jessica's detective business side hustle (?).

Something tells me young girls are not leaving Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin 2.0 inspired to shatter the glass ceiling.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I completely agree; a well-intended but misguided desire to place women in the foreground of as many stories as possible (even a low-key 1994 dark ride based on a 1988 film starring Bob Hoskins) while liberating said characters from any shortcomings or vulnerability or humanity resulted in... a clunky trench coat being thrown on an already empowered female character and an embarrassingly half-hearted reworking of the "plot" to involve Jessica's detective business side hustle (?).

Something tells me young girls are not leaving Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin 2.0 inspired to shatter the glass ceiling.

Well said. As a result, the ride is kind of dead to me. It’s not a good enough ride, in a great location or worth a 40 minute wait in its current form. It’s not Pirates. And Who Framed Roger Rabbit might be my favorite movie of all time. Definitely Top 5. Not that the ride ever really showcased the stuff I love from the movie. The Old Hollywood/ film noir stuff, the great score, the ink n paint club etc. I think it’s why we all prefer the queue to the ride. Also why losing TOT was a big loss for me. Really loved the theme. Even just that haunting jazz music they played in the outdoor queue and surrounding area.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom