The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Consumer

Passed through Petrified Forest NP this afternoon. Now don’t get me wrong, the piece of petrified wood along Rivers of America is a treat but it’s nothing compared to the quantity and quality of the pieces around this park. They sparkle and shine like crystals.
IMG_9184.jpeg

CaptinEO

I’ve broken it into a few parts; the three week stay with family in LA was the longest stop. I’m currently on my way to Illinois to stay with other family for a week before. I’ve not been home since June 2 and won’t be back until July 29. Free summers are the great perk of being a school teacher.

This morning I drove down portions of Route 66, listening to selections from the Cars Land area music loop.
View attachment 731449
Just started exploring route 66 recently. Any suggestions? So far we did the McDonalds Museum, The Hat, and Donut Man.

Consumer

Just started exploring route 66 recently. Any suggestions? So far we did the McDonalds Museum, The Hat, and Donut Man.
Can’t say I did too much on the route. My only stops that were Route 66 specific were the Jack Rabbit Trading Post (the Here It Is sign) in Joseph City and the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, both for their influence on Cars Land. I know Cool Springs Station is a cool stop but I bypassed it in order to hurry up to the Grand Canyon. Conoco Station in Shameock, TX is a neat stop as it’s the building that directly influenced Ramone’s. Not really the most touristy stops.

TP2000

Oh, cool, the new standalone dark ride at Monterey’s Cannery Row is apparently previewing to YouTubers! Been looking forward to seeing how this turns out; Sally Corp. contributed to this, I bet it’s gonna be great!!!
(Watches video) Ummmm…
(Checks website) $19.99. $24.99 in the afternoon. Ummmm….

This… is… not… great… And as a part-Scottish American, I’m dismayed by the incompetent Scottish mechanic character who farts at the guests and refers to it as playing the bagpipes…

This is hysterically odd, and hysterically bad. 🤣

It's like the script was written 1967, but the technology was created in 2022. It's insulting to Scotsmen, Mexicans, even donkeys.

What on earth were they thinking? And this is a dark ride in Monterey? I give it six months before it's shut down.

Speaking of that, did anyone else here ever go on that weird dark ride at Pier 39 in San Francisco in the late 70's/early 80's? You rode on a cable car and went through the history of San Francisco? It was surreal like this, but using circa 1975 technology, and not nearly as ethnically offensive (or at least I don't remember it being offensive). Anyone else go on that one? I remember it vaguely, yet fondly.

Rich T

… Speaking of that, did anyone else here ever go on that weird dark ride at Pier 39 in San Francisco in the late 70's/early 80's? You rode on a cable car and went through the history of San Francisco? It was surreal like this, but using circa 1975 technology, and not nearly as ethnically offensive (or at least I don't remember it being offensive). Anyone else go on that one? I remember it vaguely, yet fondly.
Yes! The Enchanted World of Old San Francisco! Rode it once. It was very cute! It was charming! Syd and Marty Krofft (H.R. Pufnstuf) worked on that project! The ultra-happy earwig 70’s variety-show-chorus-like theme song got played on local radio briefly! (🎶San Francisco, San Francisco, out on San Francisco Bay🎶)
(edit)

Oh my gosh, I love YouTube!!!! This… pretty much captures it! 😄

Revisited the site years later to find it had been demolished and replaced with a Haunted Gold Mine walk-through attraction. Tried it. It was not good. It was not charming. 🙁

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
A few random thoughts from our trip yesterday…

Wondrous Journeys was great! First time seeing it in person. I’ve seen bits and pieces on YouTube. Decided to finally see it as it was the perfect summer night and we are not renewing our Magic Keys when they expire late next month. We waited 2 hours for a nice spot right in front of the castle, in front of the VIPs. How do we get one of those chairs or benches again? I loved the show. It’s probably my favorite fireworks show after Remember Dreams Come True. The beginning of the show through the Hunchback- Hercules- Belle Mashup was my favorite followed by the finale. Love the theme song. Left feeling like a got a hefty dose of… wait for it…Disney Magic. Haven’t felt that in a very long time. It had a strong emotional impact.

Did run into some less than stellar CMs who told me at 9pm (30 min before show time) that I probably wont be able to get back to my spot (where my wife and daughter were waiting) if I took my son to the bathroom. Right after telling me I couldn’t use a clear wide open path to get to where I needed to go (bathroom) so my son didnt pee his pants. Probably shouldn’t tell someone that’s been waiting an hour and a half to see a show that they won’t get to see the show if they take their 7 year old to the bathroom. Especially after telling me I couldn’t use the wide open path where the VIP overlords are sitting. Anyway, we were back at our spot by 9:10pm. 🙄

What is the point of Luigi’s Rollicking Roadsters? I mean they re cute to look at but the ride is so lame. Not even my almost three year old was impressed and she loves all the flat rides. With that said, she is a bit of a thrill seeker.

Park wasn’t too busy yesterday or too hot. The high was about 90 but we strategically got there around 4pm and went straight to Grizzly River Run. These are the glory days of Grizzly River Run. July to September. Then it becomes a ride everyone is happy to skip. I did hear a VP Tour guide mention to his group that the geyser that used to soak people at the end of the ride has been turned off for good. So that might help a little bit.

Rode Thunder Mountain last night and realized the water from the waterfall fall on the first lift hill smells a lot like the Splash Mountain water did.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
What is the point of Luigi’s Rollicking Roadsters? I mean they re cute to look at but the ride is so lame. Not even my almost three year old was impressed and she loves all the flat rides. With that said, she is a bit of a thrill seeker.
Sorry to hear about the unpleasant CM, but hush your mouth about Luigi! It is silly and fun and I love it more than a lot of things at that park. If you were talking about the old flying tires ride, I'd agree with you.

Are you going to go cold turkey without passes or will you be visiting again with day tickets?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Sorry to hear about the unpleasant CM, but hush your mouth about Luigi! It is silly and fun and I love it more than a lot of things at that park. If you were talking about the old flying tires ride, I'd agree with you.

Are you going to go cold turkey without passes or will you be visiting again with day tickets?

I like looking at Luigi’s a lot more than I like riding it. I also think the queue is great.

We’re just taking a little break. Not a fan of some of the decisions Disney has been making when it comes to the parks. The experience can also feel a little stale on some trips but that’s what happens when you go 25x a year. In short, it comes down to the effort/ cost is starting to feel like it’s not worth what we’re getting out of it in conjunction with them chipping away at Disneylands mystique day by day. It takes me an hour and a half in traffic to get to the park on a good day and going to the parks with young kids is no walk in the park. Pun not intended. Of course, that’s what I say now having 25 or so DLR visits under my belt the last 365 days. We’ll see how I feel in a few months.

We have USH passes and will probably get Knotts annual passes for the year. Haven’t been in almost 20 years. I could see us buying one of those 3 day So Cal deals early next year if the kids really want to go and/or the itch gets too strong.

Phroobar

I like looking at Luigi’s a lot more than I like riding it. I also think the queue is great.

We’re just taking a little break. Not a fan of some of the decisions Disney has been making when it comes to the parks. The experience can also feel a little stale on some trips but that’s what happens when you go 25x a year. In short, it comes down to the effort/ cost is starting to feel like it’s not worth what we’re getting out of it in conjunction with them chipping away at Disneylands mystique day by day. It takes me an hour and a half in traffic to get to the park on a good day and going to the parks with young kids is no walk in the park. Pun not intended. Of course, that’s what I say now having 25 or so DLR visits under my belt the last 365 days. We’ll see how I feel in a few months.

We have USH passes and will probably get Knotts annual passes for the year. Haven’t been in almost 20 years. I could see us buying one of those 3 day So Cal deals early next year if the kids really want to go and/or the itch gets too strong.
Totally experienced that fatigue. When going to the park and spending time is more work than its worth, it's not any fun. Hard part for you is driving from the valley down here. For me, I can get to Knotts in a half hour and be eating chicken ten minutes later. No little kids or stroller to deal with. However, in my old age, crowds make me nervous. I'd probably be screaming to get out of Disneyland after a few hours.

J4546

Damn 25 visits in the last year Id be fatigued as well haha. I usually go maybe 6-8 times a year with my magickey. Also Knotts is great, especially if you havent been before or in many years, the new fiesta village is colorful and looks great, and the only really weak part of the park (imo) is the terrible "boardwalk" area with no boardwalk and unshaded concrete, they need to just redo that entire area with a new theme imo

mickEblu

Original Poster
Damn 25 visits in the last year Id be fatigued as well haha. I usually go maybe 6-8 times a year with my magickey. Also Knotts is great, especially if you havent been before or in many years, the new fiesta village is colorful and looks great, and the only really weak part of the park (imo) is the terrible "boardwalk" area with no boardwalk and unshaded concrete, they need to just redo that entire area with a new theme imo

We used to go more like once a month pre Covid. APs were cheaper and my son was still free. After Covid, frequency of visits went up between travel/ entertainment revenge and trying to get “value” out of 3 Believe Keys.

Parteecia

hush your mouth about Luigi! It is silly and fun and I love it more than a lot of things at that park. If you were talking about the old flying tires ride, I'd agree with you.
Hush your mouth about the flying tires! I loved that ride. I stayed away from everyone bumping and raced back and forth across its length as fast as I could.

Having said that, I like dancing with my car and seeing how many people put their arms up for the spin.

Phroobar

There isn't a lot they can do with the boardwalk area since it is fairly new. More trees at the berm would help. However it does look great during Haunt with the lights and clowns running around.

I'd like to see them get rid of the carnival games and bulldoze the 50s diner next to Xcelerator. Retheme that section to something new. I have faith that Xcelerator will return next year along with Montezuma's Revenge. I'd also like to see Johnny Rockets leave for something new on the meal plan. At least fix the neon at both places.

J4546

There isn't a lot they can do with the boardwalk area since it is fairly new. More trees at the berm would help. However it does look great during Haunt with the lights and clowns running around.

I'd like to see them get rid of the carnival games and bulldoze the 50s diner next to Xcelerator. Retheme that section to something new. I have faith that Xcelerator will return next year along with Montezuma's Revenge. I'd also like to see Johnny Rockets leave for something new on the meal plan. At least fix the neon at both places.
Xcellerator is fun, maybe if they went all out and themed it to a mountain or volcano that's take it up a notch, but that'd cost 10s of millions. That being said if they got rid of it and the hang ten whatever coaster and redid all of thay I'd be ok with it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom