The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Consumer

I survived. And I actually had fun today.

Las Vegas is such a weird town. Especially in the middle of summer when it's 110 in the shade. I saw the giant Sphere, but since it was high Noon when I was there it looked kind of... weird. At night I'm sure it's impressive, but in bright July sun it looks like Spaceship Earth's father who is grumpy. Hard to explain, but in bright daylight it looks weird and almost like an alien spaceship.

If you want a great lunch buffet, run don't walk to Caesars Palace and their Bacchanal Buffet. Not only is it perhaps the best name for a buffet in the history of man, but it's just darn good. Fresh, crisp, friendly, stylish in a Vegasy sort of way. You can't go wrong. I'm biased because I only stay at Caesars Palace when I am in Las Vegas, but still.

TP2000 Lifestyle Reminder: Even at a serve-yourself buffet, when a waitress brings you drinks and freshens your table, always ALWAYS tip her. And tip her well. The waitress I had today at Caesars was a doll. I'd like to think she used my tip to buy a nice bottle of wine for herself and a bag of Lavender scented Epsom salts for her feet this evening.

It was over 100 degrees for most of my drive, but after 7 hours of driving and just as the sun was heading towards the ocean I dropped off the freeway onto La Jolla Parkway and upon cresting the hill the temperature plunged to 73 degrees as if on cue. Funny how that works.

My Dad's pride and joy for the last years of his life was his 1967 Lincoln (Sorry mom, but it's true); burgundy sedan with black leather and all the options. But it was known to overheat when the outside temp got above 90, and the four barrel carb feeding the 460 V8 would stall. Even fancy cars used to do that 50 years ago. It's amazing to me that we now have cars that can drive 7 hours across the desert at 85mph in some of the hottest temps on the planet and not even breathe hard. After 7 hours across the searing Southwest my car glided into the old beach house driveway like it had just made a short trip to Trader Joe's and back.

Truly amazing and impressive how far we've come with automotive technology. I bet some of the kids here don't even know that cars used to routinely overheat and blow a radiator gasket on days like this.
Glad you made it safe, TP.

I made a similar drive myself yesterday, venturing from LA to The Grand Canyon. It was 116 at the state border, and my Toyota managed just fine chugging through the Mojave. Continuing east today so praying that continues to be true as I venture further into the Arizona desert.

IMG_9142.jpeg

CaptinEO

Well, unfortunately I couldn’t afford any of the Disneyland items up for auction this week but I did get me this amazing Splash Mountain marquee replica from a very talented artist on Etsy. Much better than any replica Disney has sold in the park. (I’m looking at you, pixelated, flat, Enchanted Tiki Room sign for sale at Disneyana). It looks even better in person. Less saturated, more three dimensional and has a nice texture to it too. Nice size at about 31” x 10.” He has some other great signs too. This one was custom but he pumps out tons of great Star Tours, Space Mountain, POTC and light up TOT signs among others.

View attachment 731233View attachment 731234View attachment 731235
Wow can you link to the store please?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Glad you made it safe, TP.

I made a similar drive myself yesterday, venturing from LA to The Grand Canyon. It was 116 at the state border, and my Toyota managed just fine chugging through the Mojave. Continuing east today so praying that continues to be true as I venture further into the Arizona desert.

View attachment 731263

Wow man this is one epic road trip you’re on. Has this all been part of one trip?

Parteecia

Oh, cool, the new standalone dark ride at Monterey’s Cannery Row is apparently previewing to YouTubers! Been looking forward to seeing how this turns out; Sally Corp. contributed to this, I bet it’s gonna be great!!!
(Watches video) Ummmm…
(Checks website) $19.99. $24.99 in the afternoon. Ummmm….

This… is… not… great… And as a part-Scottish American, I’m dismayed by the incompetent Scottish mechanic character who farts at the guests and refers to it as playing the bagpipes…

Not very flattering to Hispanics either. Or donkeys.

That was jaw dropping bad. I did love how it skirted the edges of copyright infringement with the music.

At that price per ride it makes my Inspire key look like a bargain. It makes the unloved Iron Reef look good.

Rich T

Not very flattering to Hispanics either. Or donkeys.

That was jaw dropping bad. I did love how it skirted the edges of copyright infringement with the music.

At that price per ride it makes my Inspire key look like a bargain. It makes the unloved Iron Reef look good.
The music was unreal—Was it a parody? Was it serious? And the Hispanic guide felt like a stereotype from 60’s pop culture—And his animation was really rough in places (the poor donkey’s too). What were they thinking? I’m assuming the best part (the Pirate AA at the entry) is free to view? I hope?

CaptinEO

Oh, cool, the new standalone dark ride at Monterey’s Cannery Row is apparently previewing to YouTubers! Been looking forward to seeing how this turns out; Sally Corp. contributed to this, I bet it’s gonna be great!!!
(Watches video) Ummmm…
(Checks website) $19.99. $24.99 in the afternoon. Ummmm….

This… is… not… great… And as a part-Scottish American, I’m dismayed by the incompetent Scottish mechanic character who farts at the guests and refers to it as playing the bagpipes…

This looks bad in every way. Why is there a screen showing some guys *ss for 3 minutes?

Consumer

Wow man this is one epic road trip you’re on. Has this all been part of one trip?
I’ve broken it into a few parts; the three week stay with family in LA was the longest stop. I’m currently on my way to Illinois to stay with other family for a week before. I’ve not been home since June 2 and won’t be back until July 29. Free summers are the great perk of being a school teacher.

This morning I drove down portions of Route 66, listening to selections from the Cars Land area music loop.
IMG_9162.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom