The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

No Name

Nothing says Christmas & ā€œMore Disney, More Family, and More Timelessā€ than this.. ;

On the other hand, I absolutely love it.

Also why is everyone dragging a quote specifically about the Epcot changes into every corner of the company? Iā€™ll do you one better, when Walt said ā€œDisneyland will never be completeā€ this is what he meant. When Walt said ā€œOMG by Usher is a bop, bring back good pop musicā€ I took it to heart. Respect the founder!

Last edited:

smooch

It's only about $14 per YEAR. Something like that... Super cheap.

I think I started after watching an Answers with Joe video. :).
I love Joe Scott's videos! I think I got one free trial video on that site when I first visited and I used it to watch his newest video there that wasn't on YouTube yet!

Sharon&Susan

Did you guys see yesterdayā€™s Disney+ Day blue carpet in front of the entrance? Tacky and cynical, if you can believe it
I'm expecting at least half of next year's D23 Parks and Resorts presentation to be Disney+ advertisement/advertisement adjacent announcements. D'amaro struts onto stage and gets applause from the crowd over Disney+ lounges + gift shop in both Disneyland and DCA, a permanent Disney+ preview theater in Tomorrowland, Disney+ Meet & Greet centre in DCA, Ice Age overlay for Pooh based on the new series, etc., etc., etc.

smooch

I understand D+ is Disney's biggest revenue source or one of the biggest I forget the exact figures but I hate how much they push it everywhere. The blue carpet I looked up looks tacky, the HSMTMTS preview in Tomorrowland of all places, the weird Disney+ merch they sell, all of it is so annoyingly in your face and shameless. The parks have always been an advertisement for upcoming projects, I get that, but it wasn't always a blatant ad that added nothing to the park. If there was some beautiful structure built to promote an upcoming D+ project that genuinely looked good and added ambiance to the park I wouldn't care but that's not what they do.

Like @Sharon&Susan said I wouldn't be surprised, it would be like the weird Target announcement they did previously and just feel wrong. Disney wants to promote their services to bring in even more revenue, sure, but if I'm already in the park dishing out hundreds of dollars to be there and enjoy my trip while paying for food / merch / etc. in the parks I would prefer not to have Disney shove a product I already subscribe to in my face in an effort to take even more of my money when I'm away from the parks too.

I haven't used the Disneyland app in a while since I haven't been since before D+ launched but I wouldn't be surprised if they have / plan to add advertisements for D+ into the Disneyland / WDW Experience apps.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I understand D+ is Disney's biggest revenue source or one of the biggest I forget the exact figures but I hate how much they push it everywhere. The blue carpet I looked up looks tacky, the HSMTMTS preview in Tomorrowland of all places, the weird Disney+ merch they sell, all of it is so annoyingly in your face and shameless. The parks have always been an advertisement for upcoming projects, I get that, but it wasn't always a blatant ad that added nothing to the park. If there was some beautiful structure built to promote an upcoming D+ project that genuinely looked good and added ambiance to the park I wouldn't care but that's not what they do.

Like @Sharon&Susan said I wouldn't be surprised, it would be like the weird Target announcement they did previously and just feel wrong. Disney wants to promote their services to bring in even more revenue, sure, but if I'm already in the park dishing out hundreds of dollars to be there and enjoy my trip while paying for food / merch / etc. in the parks I would prefer not to have Disney shove a product I already subscribe to in my face in an effort to take even more of my money when I'm away from the parks too.

I haven't used the Disneyland app in a while since I haven't been since before D+ launched but I wouldn't be surprised if they have / plan to add advertisements for D+ into the Disneyland / WDW Experience apps.

Exactly. A beautiful Castle named after Sleeping Beauty and this D+ stuff are two different things. Granted, I remember the Gummi Bear cutouts in the 90s.

hawkfam

Speaking of cost-cutting being done by the mouse, here's an article where a reporter finds out Disney/ESPN is using inferior equipment on purpose to broadcast major college football games in 2021. And apparently it's quite obvious that they were doing it and as the reporter noted elsewhere in the article, Disney is not shy about running plenty of commercials during the game which definitely more than pays the bills.

"Like a lot of you, I attempted to tune into Saturday nightā€™s Oregon-Washington State game to see what was happening in Eugene. It was a big Pac-12 game and Oregon won 38-24. During the game I tweaked the television settings, fiddled with the cables, rebooted it all and then checked social media where I learned we were all getting a low-definition broadcast that would have made 1988 proud.

I made some calls and reached one of the camera operators who was working Saturdayā€™s game in Eugene. Bill Rice told me, ā€œAll of that gear that we were using is old and wore out. Itā€™s their ā€˜Eā€™ show. That truck is a long way from home. Thatā€™s ESPNā€™s ā€˜E-levelā€™ show. ā€œYou know... A.. B... C... D... E.ā€

The Oregonian/OregonLive obtained the information sheet that was distributed to crew working for ESPN in front of the Oregon-WSU game. The truck itself was built in 2012, but the key equipment inside was manufactured 10-25 years years ago. The document verifies there were, in fact, six ā€œhardā€ cameras at the game and a seventh handheld camera present. It also lists the names of crew working the game. I researched them and theyā€™re all highly qualified and experienced television production experts.

That production sheet also notes that there would be no ā€œset dayā€ in front of the game. That detail caught my eye. Turns out thatā€™s a day-before-event opportunity for the crew to work out bugs and stage equipment. It feels like the perfect time to rectify a lingering broadcast issue.

I asked Rice about the absence of a set day on a broadcast and he said, ā€œIn my 30 years it was the first time ever for me representing Disney that we didnā€™t have a set day.ā€

That dovetails with the narrative Iā€™ve heard in the last 24 hours from other ESPN/ABC contractors working sporting events. They believe Disney is hyper-focused on cost cutting and is especially aggressive with low-priority events. Saturdayā€™s game at Autzen Stadium didnā€™t utilize a stage manager, for example. It also used a back-up spotter. The spokesperson pushed back at that ā€œlow budget broadcastā€ comment, but thatā€™s a logical conclusion for any of us to make when we tune in and see an underwhelming broadcast."

smooch

Exactly. A beautiful Castle named after Sleeping Beauty and this D+ stuff are two different things. Granted, I remember the Gummi Bear cutouts in the 90s.
Yes there have been examples of crude product placements in the park before, and granted I am only 22 so I don't remember things from the 90's, but in my memory it has just gotten worse and worse. I don't think this will stop under this management, they see the parks as a way to advertise their movies / shows and to sell merch for those movies / shows. I just think the company does not care because they know they can do just about anything and people will continue filling the parks and spending their money there. Sure you can ignore the advertisements or look past them and enjoy the aspects of the park that make it great but the more they add the more intrusive it becomes.

SuddenStorm

Yes there have been examples of crude product placements in the park before, and granted I am only 22 so I don't remember things from the 90's, but in my memory it has just gotten worse and worse. I don't think this will stop under this management, they see the parks as a way to advertise their movies / shows and to sell merch for those movies / shows. I just think the company does not care because they know they can do just about anything and people will continue filling the parks and spending their money there. Sure you can ignore the advertisements or look past them and enjoy the aspects of the park that make it great but the more they add the more intrusive it becomes.

To be fair, the Disney Plus stuff doesn't seem to be as egregious as this.

1637041108731.png

waltography

I don't think it's gotten worse ā€” the Disney Afternoons promotions of the 90s aren't any different from the HSM stage shows of the 00s aren't any different from what we're seeing now with Disney+.

I do think Disney's outgrown this style of marketing though as it grows as a company, which is why it feels tackier than in the past. (It doesn't help that in an anniversary year for another castle park, they do a better roll out replete with free stuff for the streaming service than they do the park.)

DavidDL

Can we talk about how ugly the Jack Skellington walk around character masks are at Disneyland? One day we will ok back at these like we do those terrifying Mickey and Minnie masks from the early DL days.

Nightmare before Christmas is my favorite film and Haunted Mansion Holiday is my favorite attraction in any Disney park.

So, hopefully it means something when I say; I absolutely agree. He has this sort of bizarre, alien shaped head thing going on. If they could design a head sculpt that looked better and the character lost the ability to talk, then I'd be willing to accept that trade off. Or heck, with the tech Disney has access to (talking Mickey head, fancy Jack Skellington puppet for WDW fireworks shows), there has to be a better way to handle meet and greets for the character.

Perhaps a meet and greet in a controlled space where they can control the puppet from the aforementioned firework show and have someone doing the voicework from afar? Like many of the Universal Studios characters?

maxresdefault.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom