The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

I’m sure the MLB is crying right now. The ratings on a Dodgers/ Astros World Series would have been through the roof

Braves v Astros? Yawn
Let’s be honest, that’s because the Braves aren’t…cool, I guess? They’re not on the same level in terms of popularity as teams like the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Red Sox, etc. This World Series will for sure be a boring one lol.

Still hoping the Braves win.

waltography

Went to the Academy Museum yesterday. Highly recommend. The Hayao Miyazaki exhibit was a highlight, so many archival sketches and storyboards from the films and the exhibition design was gorgeous. Plus, the Toy Story zoetrope that used to be in DCA is now housed here in its own mini exhibit.

Mac Tonight

Let’s be honest, that’s because the Braves aren’t…cool, I guess? They’re not on the same level in terms of popularity as teams like the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Red Sox, etc. This World Series will for sure be a boring one lol.

Still hoping the Braves win.
I’ve seen some hilariously awful takes on baseball before… but that takes it to a whole new level.

TP2000

What the heck is going on with the weather this fall? It's been unseasonably cool, and we've had several bouts of rain in September and early October already! Now today, it's cold and drizzly, with heavier rain about to move in to OC this afternoon. It's like late January, but it's only late October.

Here's the Mattercam just a few minutes ago. This is not Seattle, it's Anaheim. In October???

Screenshot 2021-10-25 141322.png

mickEblu

Original Poster
What the heck is going on with the weather this fall? It's been unseasonably cool, and we've had several bouts of rain in September and early October already! Now today, it's cold and drizzly, with heavier rain about to move in to OC this afternoon. It's like late January, but it's only late October.

Here's the Mattercam just a few minutes ago. This is not Seattle, it's Anaheim. In October???

View attachment 595693

I have been having this convo with my wife. October is usually pretty hot until just before Halloween with few cooler days here and there. Also, the older I get I realize I’m much more concerned about the weather and I talk about it frequently. What’s going on? It also impacts my mood more than when I was younger.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Went to Disneyland yesterday and had a great time. The last couple Sundays have felt moderately busy in the usual busy parts of the park/ choke points with manageable wait times. Outside of that, refuge was available and most of the busier E’s hovered around 40 or less with a couple exceptions like RSR and Monsters After Dark.

I’m not sure if it’s just being an AP for so long now or having young kids but we really have been taking it slower these days and it makes the day much more enjoyable. We still park hop but gone are the days of park hopping back and forth all day long like mad men. We let the day come to us and manage to do enough for the kids and still get a couple things in for Mom and Dad thanks to my sister and Bro in law who we go the parks with often. Yesterday we found ourselves just sitting at Flo’s enjoying the wonderful atmosphere while waiting for a couple mobile orders. @Rich T you were right. This is a great place to hang out. I downplayed Cars Land and RSR in the past for some picky things but it really is great and by far the best thing they’ve done stateside in the last decade. The more Duds (like AC) that they keep delivering the more I appreciate Cars Land. Flo’s facing RSR and Paradise Gardens are great places to hang out at DCA.

Sometimes we even find ourselves spending time at Alien Pizza Planet. The “outdoor” section by the Space Mountain entrance up the ramp. Not because it’s a great atmosphere but because it’s often empty and you can find a nice big booth to relax in and recharge before or after Space Mountain.

Got on Splash Mountain yesterday at 12:30 in under 15 minutes and it wasn’t cold. It was a nice sunny 72. Again managed to not get soaked. Sometimes I wonder if I’m going on the same ride as some of you who say you get soaked every time. Also, I know I’m a big fan of POTC and I think it’s the Disneyland GOAT but Splash is the best ride if that makes sense. I don’t get to ride often so I appreciate it when I do. Its definitely the most diverse attraction. The indoor to outdoor multiple times. The slow enjoyable intro outdoors with great views. The amazing soundtrack. The plethora of AAs. The thrills. The humor. The darkness. The huge show scene finale. Going into the ZADD finale room I found myself appreciating the sense of place they created right before you enter the room under the huge arch with boulders grassy hillsides, waterfall and old barn house overhead. The sense of place and scale are fantastic.

Mac Tonight

Magic Mountain getting another new (record breaking) coaster.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Winnie the Pooh might be the best FL style dark ride at the park at least when it comes to the entire experience. It certainly makes me happier than any of the other ones. Lets see, you wait outside for on average 5 minutes in one of the most charming, beautifully landscaped areas in the park. Seriously, there is like one place to see running water in GE and you have to be in line for ROTR. In Critter Country, in addition to Splash and views of the ROA, they put a charming little one that 90% of people probably don't even notice which leads to the little creek in front of Pooh. Then you get on the ride with its underrated ride vehicle/ motion and hear some Sherman Bros tunes. How bad can that be? The first two scenes are my favorite. Not a huge fan of the Heffalumps scene- that's the equivalent of the Pleasure Island scene in Pinocchios Daring Journey for me. Also, did anyone else think those Chocolate frosted pink birthday cakes in Winnie the Pooh looked like the most delicious thing ever when you were a kid? Almost like the raw steaks in Tom n Jerry, chicken legs in He-Man (or any cartoon) or pizza in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but I digress...

Now compare the above experience of waiting 45 minutes in the extremely compacted queue for Pan for 1.5 good scenes that's over in 30 seconds

Last edited:

waltography

Magic Mountain getting another new (record breaking) coaster.

Favorite tidbit of this is that it's record breaking for tallest single-rail coaster by 1 foot (131 vs. 130 ft.), with the former record holder being the Jersey Devil from Six Flags Great Adventure. They knew what they were doing when they said record-breaking. 😂

waltography

Winnie the Pooh might be the FL style dark ride at the park at least when it comes to the entire experience. It certainly makes me happier than any of the other ones.
Pooh's always ragged on in the forums because it has Tokyo to compare it with, but on its own it really is a lovely little ride. I like the way the hive car gently rocks back and forth, and the ride's opening scenes are arguably gorgeous—the rain and all the gags that come with it are impressionistic like a children's book.

lazyboy97o

Pooh's always ragged on in the forums because it has Tokyo to compare it with, but on its own it really is a lovely little ride. I like the way the hive car gently rocks back and forth, and the ride's opening scenes are arguably gorgeous—the rain and all the gags that come with it are impressionistic like a children's book.
Even compared to Magic Kingdom it’s a disjointed mess.

mickEblu

Original Poster
People have to understand this Supply shortage is much more serious that not being able to buy some specific merch at Disneyland. Today I went to Panda Express and they didn’t have any crispy almond chicken or veggie spring rolls! The whole company is out.

😝

TP2000

People have to understand this Supply shortage is much more serious that not being able to buy some specific merch at Disneyland. Today I went to Panda Express and they didn’t have any crispy almond chicken or veggie spring rolls! The whole company is out.

😝

I can beat that. My local Starbucks keeps shutting down for days at a time with a sign out front that says "Closed Today Due To No Supplies". Talking to the young manager there, she says that the entire Starbucks company keeps having to redirect supplies to the most busy/profitable locations and let the less busy locations just close for a day or two until they can procure enough supplies for a few days of business.

This is insanity.

TP2000

I have been having this convo with my wife. October is usually pretty hot until just before Halloween with few cooler days here and there. Also, the older I get I realize I’m much more concerned about the weather and I talk about it frequently. What’s going on? It also impacts my mood more than when I was younger.

About three hours ago I had to go in and light the pilot light on the furnace. I've lived in this house for over 25 years, and usually that's a ceremony that doesn't happen until mid November or later (admittedly, I'm more cold blooded than the average Southern Californian).

But this year I had to light the furnace before Halloween. That's not normal.

By the way, welcome to middle age. As you get older, talking about the weather becomes even more exciting! 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom