The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TROR

I have my last final in an hour then I fly back to Los Angeles at this time tomorrow. I'm taking an online class over break and I'm coming back early in January for an intercession course so even my break isn't going to be too relaxing, unfortunately.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
GO TO DISNEYLAND

I am! My last final is tonight and I'm getting ready tomorrow, driving down Thursday (I live in NorCal), going to Disneyland on Friday, then driving back on Saturday. It's how I de-stress.

While I'm somewhat of a newbie on this forum, I've frequented "another" forum for the last 5 years with over 1000 posts, but that forum has become a bit too toxic for my liking, so I'm seeing how things go here. Pretty pleasant so far.

Animaniac93-98

We’ve got a few types of posters here:

-park regulars who are Californians/locals

-WDW folks who’ve either never been to the DLR, and/or only post here when they want to defend WDW in some way, shape, or form (can’t really engage in good discussion)

-newbies, which yes, we’ve seen a lot more of recently, which is nice (sometimes)

I’m none of those three. I feel so special! :D

;)

BrianLo

We’ve got a few types of posters here:

-park regulars who are Californians/locals

-WDW folks who’ve either never been to the DLR, and/or only post here when they want to defend WDW in some way, shape, or form (can’t really engage in good discussion)

-newbies, which yes, we’ve seen a lot more of recently, which is nice (sometimes)

I'm not any of these either. :cry:

I think we need a 'those annoying Canadians' category.

Phroobar

ME EITHER
tmimn.gif

SuddenStorm

Went to Disneyland three times in the last week and a half since I'm in town for winter break. First time visiting the park at Christmas time since 2014. A few thoughts

• Haunted Mansion Holiday is a mess. The whole thing just seems off, and the added decorations throw off the lighting across the whole mansion. I swear, every inch of that place was completely lit. It seemed like a far weaker and less cohesive experience then the real ride, and I can only hope the overlay loses popularity over the next 20 years and goes away to Yesterland.
  • Got to pilot the Mark Twain for the first time in memory. My friends and I were up there for a good half hour, since we had to wait for the jazz band to finish their set on the water. I don't think the poor CM knew what she was getting into- she got the commentary of my friends and I on everything. Was an amazing experience, especially since we were up there at night since Fantasmic wasn't running.
  • I think the castle decorations are a bit much. the two trees in the moat with some nice lighting was far more tasteful, the icicles just look ridiculous and a bit tacky.
  • The Tiki Room doesn't look like they fixed anything inside during it's closure. Many of the flowers don't work. Still an excellent show and the waiting area changes didn't bother me in person. It's amazing the original is as intact as it is- it's been shortened but that's about it.
  • Splash Mountain (best ride in the park) was ridden 20 times across the three visits- and I think it looks the best it has in a year or two. Most of the figures were in there, though a few were static and some of the motion and positioning was a bit off. They've fixed a few of the lights and audio that was off when I was there 4 months ago. It's not nearly as bad as it has been in recent years.
  • The dude with the pigs is back in Pirates of the Caribbean. The cavern sequence is delightful and dare I say perfect. Still having trouble adjusting to the new auction.
  • Fantasmic looks rough and didn't sound as loud and clear as I remember it sounding in past showings. The levels sounded off- like a speaker wasn't going or something. The projections weren't as bright as I remember them being. Still not a fan of the new show, and I can only pray that the Disneyland gods are kind and they revert back to the original.
  • Buzz is looking worse, that ride is long overdo for a refurb or replacement. I hope that they're just letting it rot since they plan on replacing it in the next decade.
  • The Canoe guide was delightful as always. Honestly, those guys and gals are consistently more engaged and funnier than my Jungle Cruise skippers, who have been lacking as of late.
  • Believe In Holiday Magic is an excellent fireworks show. It's nice seeing something that hasn't fallen under the Disney clip show curse that every recent show seems subject too. It's a pure celebration of the holidays that isn't even overtly Disney- it's tasteful and entertaining. I know it's been around for a while, but I don't trust the current show designers who brought us the Pixar Fireworks to design a better show so I hope they aren't planning on replacing it soon. The projections felt a bit like filler, but I guess they make the fireworks a bit more immersive.
  • Small World Holiday is the least offensive of the ride overlays, and is a delightful experience. The facade is especially cool.
  • There was a pirate music act performing on the Columbia during our voyage- really enhanced the experience. I'd love to see Dixieland jazz perform on the Mark Twain.
Overall, they were an excellent few days. It's easy to get caught up on everything current management/WDI is doing wrong, but Disneyland is still delightful to visit.

A contact at Dreamworks was able to get us into Universal Studios. Was my first time going in a decade. The park was clean and seemed vastly improved from what I remember. Harry Potter Land was very well executed, with the queue for the Forbidden Journey blowing away the rest of the park. The actual Forbidden Journey ride was a bit lackluster, it didn't really capture the magic of the world for me, but it was still far better than everything else in the park. The shops in Harry Potter land were delightful to tour. The studio tour was fun as always, though the Fast and Furious experience was really weird and a bit contrived. The Transformers ride was awful.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Went to Disneyland three times in the last week and a half since I'm in town for winter break. First time visiting the park at Christmas time since 2014. A few thoughts

• Haunted Mansion Holiday is a mess. The whole thing just seems off, and the added decorations throw off the lighting across the whole mansion. I swear, every inch of that place was completely lit. It seemed like a far weaker and less cohesive experience then the real ride, and I can only hope the overlay loses popularity over the next 20 years and goes away to Yesterland.
  • Got to pilot the Mark Twain for the first time in memory. My friends and I were up there for a good half hour, since we had to wait for the jazz band to finish their set on the water. I don't think the poor CM knew what she was getting into- she got the commentary of my friends and I on everything. Was an amazing experience, especially since we were up there at night since Fantasmic wasn't running.
  • I think the castle decorations are a bit much. the two trees in the moat with some nice lighting was far more tasteful, the icicles just look ridiculous and a bit tacky.
  • The Tiki Room doesn't look like they fixed anything inside during it's closure. Many of the flowers don't work. Still an excellent show and the waiting area changes didn't bother me in person. It's amazing the original is as intact as it is- it's been shortened but that's about it.
  • Splash Mountain (best ride in the park) was ridden 20 times across the three visits- and I think it looks the best it has in a year or two. Most of the figures were in there, though a few were static and some of the motion and positioning was a bit off. They've fixed a few of the lights and audio that was off when I was there 4 months ago. It's not nearly as bad as it has been in recent years.
  • The dude with the pigs is back in Pirates of the Caribbean. The cavern sequence is delightful and dare I say perfect. Still having trouble adjusting to the new auction.
  • Fantasmic looks rough and didn't sound as loud and clear as I remember it sounding in past showings. The levels sounded off- like a speaker wasn't going or something. The projections weren't as bright as I remember them being. Still not a fan of the new show, and I can only pray that the Disneyland gods are kind and they revert back to the original.
  • Buzz is looking worse, that ride is long overdo for a refurb or replacement. I hope that they're just letting it rot since they plan on replacing it in the next decade.
  • The Canoe guide was delightful as always. Honestly, those guys and gals are consistently more engaged and funnier than my Jungle Cruise skippers, who have been lacking as of late.
  • Believe In Holiday Magic is an excellent fireworks show. It's nice seeing something that hasn't fallen under the Disney clip show curse that every recent show seems subject too. It's a pure celebration of the holidays that isn't even overtly Disney- it's tasteful and entertaining. I know it's been around for a while, but I don't trust the current show designers who brought us the Pixar Fireworks to design a better show so I hope they aren't planning on replacing it soon. The projections felt a bit like filler, but I guess they make the fireworks a bit more immersive.
  • Small World Holiday is the least offensive of the ride overlays, and is a delightful experience. The facade is especially cool.
  • There was a pirate music act performing on the Columbia during our voyage- really enhanced the experience. I'd love to see Dixieland jazz perform on the Mark Twain.
Overall, they were an excellent few days. It's easy to get caught up on everything current management/WDI is doing wrong, but Disneyland is still delightful to visit.

A contact at Dreamworks was able to get us into Universal Studios. Was my first time going in a decade. The park was clean and seemed vastly improved from what I remember. Harry Potter Land was very well executed, with the queue for the Forbidden Journey blowing away the rest of the park. The actual Forbidden Journey ride was a bit lackluster, it didn't really capture the magic of the world for me, but it was still far better than everything else in the park. The shops in Harry Potter land were delightful to tour. The studio tour was fun as always, though the Fast and Furious experience was really weird and a bit contrived. The Transformers ride was awful.

You re kind of like my theme park critic soulmate.

Anjin

Can someone explain why HMH is hated on? I don't really understand the hate. I love the ride!
I think the overlay is okay, but the most damning thing about it is that it lasts about four months. That's a long time to take over one of the best rides in the park. I've seen complaints from people who only visit the park during the holidays, so they haven't seen the original Mansion in years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom