The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
DL should be the park with the least amount of Look-What-Uncle-Bob-bought IPs. I don’t want Alien in DL. I don’t want Avatar in DL.

What I do want is a corporation that trusts its in-house artists enough and respects it customers enough to create original concepts and attractions that are not necessarily tied to existing IPs.

I want Disney to be Disney again.

I also want World Peace.
I also want Disney to sell off 20th Century Studios, because that purchase is eating away Disney’s money, which they need to greatly improve their parks and make more movies under the core Walt Disney Pictures label (especially original live-action ones, not live-action remakes).

lazyboy97o

What I do want is a corporation that trusts its in-house artists enough and respects it customers enough to create original concepts and attractions that are not necessarily tied to existing IPs.
It’s amazing how people just completely buy into the whole “Iger appreciates creatives” line when his entire tenure has been all about not trusting creatives. The park related creatives are the absolutely least respected. Outside the park everything else was also all about franchises. He pulled back the studio’s output, near completely nixing smaller scale films all in favor of focusing on the same few properties that eventually came to Disney studio proper focusing quite a bit on remakes.

mickEblu

Original Poster
DL should be the park with the least amount of Look-What-Uncle-Bob-bought IPs. I don’t want Alien in DL. I don’t want Avatar in DL.

I want Disney to be Disney again.

I also want World Peace.

I agree with the sentiment but in reality Avatar feels more Disney than a lot of what Disney and Pixar have put out in recent years in my opinion.

I agree on Alien

Did you just resurrect the IP vs original attractions conversation? I thought we all gave up on original attractions at least 5 years ago. Now we just want good attractions based on IP and we just want the old attractions to work.

Last edited:

Nland316

I agree with the sentiment but in reality Avatar feels more Disney than a lot of what Disney and Pixar have put out in recent years in my opinion.

I agree on Alien

Did you just resurrect the IP vs original attractions conversation? I thought we all have up on original attractions at least 5 years ago. Now we just want good attractions based on IP and we just want the old attractions to work.
I honestly don’t really mind Avatar in DL proper just because I assume it’d be exclusive to one singular attraction, not a whole land. Tomorrowland would be the natural fit.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I honestly don’t really mind Avatar in DL proper just because I assume it’d be exclusive to one singular attraction, not a whole land. Tomorrowland would be the natural fit.
Same here. Definitely do not want any(more) single IP lands in Disneyland. Especially inside the berm.

I’d have to see the final plans before giving it a green light. Obviously it would be better than Nemo but what else would come with the project? How much of the surrounding area gets destroyed? Is it harmonious with the Matterhorn etc.? The project could easily come with some unwanted side effects that are not worth it.

Nland316

Same here. Definitely do not want any(more) single IP lands in Disneyland. Especially inside the berm.

I’d have to see the final plans before giving it a green light. Obviously it would be better than Nemo but what else would come with the project? How much of the surrounding area gets destroyed? Is it harmonious with the Matterhorn etc.? The project could easily come with some unwanted side effects that are not worth it.
I completely agree on every count.

I will say, at least on the DL side of things, each of the recent expansions have been made with caution in regard to their surroundings. Content/IP argument aside, SWGE and MMRR make a strong effort to naturally blend with their respective areas. I mean after all, the ROA reroute/refresh was a massive undertaking that could’ve easily been cheapened out on. I would argue that they succeed in that aspect. Tiana Mountain also fits this given its location, unlike WDW.

This track record gives me a little more reassurance going into whatever project comes next. I know times have changed, but TDA has proven its understanding of that park at least a good majority of the time.

Phroobar

We forget that Star Wars and Indy have been part of Disneyland for more than half it's existence. They both feel like Disney ips even though they weren't originally when added to the park. Alien almost made it into Disneyland with Alien Encounter.

Avatar would be a great transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. There is enough space to blend it with the Matterhorn. They could put a none Avatar ride in the same area too.

GiveMeTheMusic

An Avatar land paving over the subs/inno/autopia has been proposed in the past and promptly shut down. It's extremely unlikely. If DisneylandForward ever becomes a thing, it's a good candidate for that provided the series does well going forward. It's also a likely replacement for SWGE at WDS Paris.

mickEblu

Original Poster
An Avatar land paving over the subs/inno/autopia has been proposed in the past and promptly shut down. It's extremely unlikely. If DisneylandForward ever becomes a thing, it's a good candidate for that provided the series does well going forward. It's also a likely replacement for SWGE at WDS Paris.

I’m glad that was shut down. They can’t start treating Disneyland like a catch all for all the hottest IP. That’s DCA’s job.

Have they ever just proposed one Avatar attraction like Avatar replacing Nemo for example. Why do they feel it has to be all of nothing? Especially at Disneyland where a single attraction makes much more sense than a whole IP land within the berm.

EDIT: I guess they keep holding off for some grand vision for TL that never happens. But even when they do tease us it looks like half baked ideas like that concept art with the retro futuristic entrance with the Astro Orbitor still sitting in the middle of it. IMO an Avatar subs ride would pretty much work with any version of TL. I think they just take the lands/ attractions based on new properties too seriously. God forbid we just hop on a subs ride themed to a new IP that’s not in its own land. So what it’s right next to Tomorrland Terrace? I’m totally fine having the attractions entrances being the entry point for the experience as opposed to the land. It’s not like I ever forget I’m at a theme park.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I'd be happy to see WDS Paris get a version of Pandora.

Very happy to hear that the idea of paving the Subs for it was shut down. No particular love for Autopia, but the Subs are such a unique feature and deserve to be revised into a better-than-Nemo attraction rather than removed outright. I know the Autopia is pretty inextricably linked to the Subs, so it's fine with me if they stay.

Personally I find it funny that not much thought seems to have gone into just returning the old Carousel Theatre to its intended use. I'd be thrilled to see a wholly new show in there, but I'd probably be just as thrilled to see WDW ship the Carousel of Progress back over and give it the refresh it actually deserves. At this point almost anything is better than the building just sitting there, but it seems a shame to waste its history and its potential.

TwilightZone

Personally I find it funny that not much thought seems to have gone into just returning the old Carousel Theatre to its intended use. I'd be thrilled to see a wholly new show in there, but I'd probably be just as thrilled to see WDW ship the Carousel of Progress back over and give it the refresh it actually deserves. At this point almost anything is better than the building just sitting there, but it seems a shame to waste its history and its potential.
I like the idea of having a show on the bottom floor and something interactive on the top floor. Sort of like a mini EPCOT center attraction.
I'm fine with Carousel being WDW exclusive though, its been there so long now that it would feel weird for it to be gone from there rather than the other way around.

yensidtlaw1969

I like the idea of having a show on the bottom floor and something interactive on the top floor. Sort of like a mini EPCOT center attraction.
I'm fine with Carousel being WDW exclusive though, its been there so long now that it would feel weird for it to be gone from there rather than the other way around.
I mean, I'd have no real problem with them simply duplicating the show for Disneyland, but I also don't think they ever would. I'm less looking for them to remove it from WDW than I am looking to see the CoP get the care and respect it deserves, which feels much more like Disneyland's wheelhouse. The way the show has barely been touched since 1994 is criminal.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd be happy to see WDS Paris get a version of Pandora.

Very happy to hear that the idea of paving the Subs for it was shut down. No particular love for Autopia, but the Subs are such a unique feature and deserve to be revised into a better-than-Nemo attraction rather than removed outright. I know the Autopia is pretty inextricably linked to the Subs, so it's fine with me if they stay.

The subs will eventually go away. They're a huge drain on resources for little capacity pay-off. They are indeed unique, but the combined real estate that Autopia and the subs take up will one day prove too much for a future set of execs to ignore. There have been multiple proposals to reuse the space over the years, and those will continue. All that to say - enjoy them while they're here, because at some point they almost certainly won't be!
I’m glad that was shut down. They can’t start treating Disneyland like a catch all for all the hottest IP. That’s DCA’s job.

Have they ever just proposed one Avatar attraction like Avatar replacing Nemo for example. Why do they feel it has to be all of nothing? Especially at Disneyland where a single attraction makes much more sense than a whole IP land within the berm.

EDIT: I guess they keep holding off for some grand vision for TL that never happens. But even when they do tease us it looks like half baked ideas like that concept art with the retro futuristic entrance with the Astro Orbitor still sitting in the middle of it. IMO an Avatar subs ride would pretty much work with any version of TL. I think they just take the lands/ attractions based on new properties too seriously. God forbid we just hop on a subs ride themed to a new IP that’s not in its own land. So what it’s right next to Tomorrland Terrace? I’m totally fine having the attractions entrances being the entry point for the experience as opposed to the land. It’s not like I ever forget I’m at a theme park.

This was further back when the park rights to Avatar were new and WDI was charged with finding a way to get the IP into each resort. Fell by the wayside pretty quickly due to lack of enthusiasm outside of the initially announced DAK project. OLC passed on it for TDS, and by then Star Wars land proposals for DL took over everyone's energy.

Californian Elitist

While it was nice to finally experience the classic that is Carousel of Progress (my mom has talked about it being one of her favorite rides when she was a kid many times), I couldn’t ignore the poor shape it was in. The smell of old furniture that hasn’t been cleaned in decades smacks you right in the face as you enter the building. It smells its age, but that’s likely due to lack of maintenance. The clunkiness of the attraction was distracting at times and the animatronics could have moved better. I kept thinking we (Disneyland) could and likely would do a much better job of maintaining the attraction.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The subs will eventually go away. They're a huge drain on resources for little capacity pay-off. They are indeed unique, but the combined real estate that Autopia and the subs take up will one day prove too much for a future set of execs to ignore. There have been multiple proposals to reuse the space over the years, and those will continue. All that to say - enjoy them while they're here, because at some point they almost certainly won't be!

This was further back when the park rights to Avatar were new and WDI was charged with finding a way to get the IP into each resort. Fell by the wayside pretty quickly due to lack of enthusiasm outside of the initially announced DAK project. OLC passed on it for TDS, and by then Star Wars land proposals for DL took over everyone's energy.

Well I can at least appreciate that they’re showing some restraint when it comes to the subs/ Autopia and that area. I hope when the day comes they find a way to keep the lagoon and the monorail gliding over it. That with the Matterhorn looming over is a beautiful/ classic Disneyland vista and I hope we never lose that.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Update on Haunted Mansion Holiday -

"Disneyland announced in September that Haunted Mansion Holiday would run through Jan. 8 — the traditional end of the holidays at the Anaheim theme parks.

But now Haunted Mansion Holiday will stick around an extra three weeks until Jan. 29, according to the Disneyland website.

The venerable haunted house will close on Jan. 30 for its conversion back to its year-round version, according to the Disneyland website.

Disneyland has not announced why the run of the annual seasonal overlay was extended. The theme park has a number of attraction refurbishment projects planned for January.

Haunted Mansion Holiday and It’s a Small World Holiday typically end their seasonal runs in January — with Mansion closing first followed by Small World about two weeks later.

In 2023, that order will be swapped with Small World closed Jan. 9-19 and Haunted Mansion closing on Jan. 30, according to the Disneyland website.

A return date has not yet been set for the classic version of Haunted Mansion, according to the Disneyland website."

mickEblu

Original Poster
Update on Haunted Mansion Holiday -

"Disneyland announced in September that Haunted Mansion Holiday would run through Jan. 8 — the traditional end of the holidays at the Anaheim theme parks.

But now Haunted Mansion Holiday will stick around an extra three weeks until Jan. 29, according to the Disneyland website.

The venerable haunted house will close on Jan. 30 for its conversion back to its year-round version, according to the Disneyland website.

Disneyland has not announced why the run of the annual seasonal overlay was extended. The theme park has a number of attraction refurbishment projects planned for January.

Haunted Mansion Holiday and It’s a Small World Holiday typically end their seasonal runs in January — with Mansion closing first followed by Small World about two weeks later.

In 2023, that order will be swapped with Small World closed Jan. 9-19 and Haunted Mansion closing on Jan. 30, according to the Disneyland website.

A return date has not yet been set for the classic version of Haunted Mansion, according to the Disneyland website."

Good lord. Only 6 months of classic Mansion this year. At this point, don’t even bother taking the overlay down.

Phroobar

Well I can at least appreciate that they’re showing some restraint when it comes to the subs/ Autopia and that area. I hope when the day comes they find a way to keep the lagoon and the monorail gliding over it. That with the Matterhorn looming over is a beautiful/ classic Disneyland vista and I hope we never lose that.
If I can't have Avatar, I want a non IP version of this.
iu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom