The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I fear we are going to feel the wrath of the mods by veering into this territory 😂 But, my friend, it's not an assumption. I have lived in the rural south my entire life. These people are (former) friends, (former) family,& (sadly) coworkers. This is how they feel, I've seen it first hand. I've experienced it, especially being (gasp!) a gay man. Is everyone in the South this way, heck no. Otherwise I wouldn't be living here still, but to write it off as a baseless assumption is disingenuous.

LOL you're probably right, I'll stop after this :D Sorry just to clarify, assumption mayve not been the right word, but stereotype maybe?

Anyway, I wish people were more accepting. We've come to a point in our culture where it's a them vs us attitude and people are just plain salty.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Wasn't it originally supposed to get a fairly thorough refurb early in 2020 that got scuttled because of covid?

I'd believe it! I'm intrigued about a Indy refurb, from what I remember that was usually the 1 ride that rarely had feature malfunctions (although it always was breaking down!).

DrAlice

I found some old photos at my parents' house today from my first trip to Disneyland in 1978. Sorry, I didn't take pictures (or scan) them because they were out of focus and not well lit. I figured they would be too hard to see details online. Anyway, some things I noticed:

1. Picture 1: Me standing in the hub in front of the castle.
  • I'm right where the partners statue should be, but there is nothing there but me and the bricks. In place of trees and flowers are some benches (and my dad.. haha).
  • The castle is a very castle-y grey color.
  • No crowds!
2. Picture 2: I'm "dangerously" sitting/climbing on a bench next to a "railing" on the edge of the Rivers of America with the Mark Twain in the background.
  • What struck me about this is that it was NOT the current, lawyer-approved iron railing. This looked like a wide spaced country wooden fence (posts, top board, that's it). The gap from the pavement to the cross board was certainly large enough for this 4 year old to crawl through and go for a swim. This cracked me up.
  • No crowds!

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Splash is in better shape than Indy

It really is. Rode it a few weeks ago; the "How Do Ya Do" segment is the brightest-lit I've ever seen it. Still countless broken/missing AAs, but overall the ride feels alive and joyous.

Indy, on the other hand, feels less like a cursed temple and more like a big empty soundstage these days. Pretty sure every practical effect is now chronically broken. And is up with the stationary replacement snake?

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 10.46.17 PM.png

wdrive

It really is. Rode it a few weeks ago; the "How Do Ya Do" segment is the brightest-lit I've ever seen it. Still countless broken/missing AAs, but overall the ride feels alive and joyous.

Indy, on the other hand, feels less like a cursed temple and more like a big empty soundstage these days. Pretty sure every practical effect is now chronically broken. And *** is up with the stationary replacement snake?

View attachment 638763

Indy is in awful shape at the moment. Lots of being flung around empty dark rooms.
The Tiki room was also in rough shape last time I visited. Lots of stationary birds and plenty with broke beaks, I’d say around 40% of the drummers weren’t moving either. It was easier pointing out the things that were working over what wasn’t.

Dear Prudence

Indy, on the other hand, feels less like a cursed temple and more like a big empty soundstage these days. Pretty sure every practical effect is now chronically broken. And *** is up with the stationary replacement snake?

View attachment 638763
Snake doesn't work, audio is messed up, skeleton and rat projections aren't working, the Boulder doesn't work at ALL, and then jeeps hit the jeep in front of us. An absolute mess.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

There's certainly no point in continually "fixing"/refurbing Indy the way they've been doing it. At this rate, what will the attraction look like 20, 30 years from now?

It needs to close for as long as it takes to reimagine and rebuild various elements. I realize that's easier said than done (doesn't the ride run on Windows 95?). And since today's kids aren't even familiar with the Indiana Jones films, I don't see Disney doing it (I'm not even sure they'd do it if they had a perfect, fresh IP to justify the investment). So all we can do is enjoy the decline.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Snake doesn't work, audio is messed up, skeleton and rat projections aren't working, the Boulder doesn't work at ALL, and then jeeps hit the jeep in front of us. An absolute mess.
At this point I don't think we even need to point out that the rat projection isn't working; it virtually never does. I didn't experience the attraction in the 90s, but I'm not sure it ever really worked all that well.

When I rode a few weeks ago, the work lights were on.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It needs to close for as long as it takes to reimagine and rebuild various elements.

That’s what I was getting at with starting the refurb after MMRR opens and that I want to see some modern bells and whistles. It needs to be a good long refurb even if it takes a year. With MMRR and GE open they can afford to have it down for that long. Hopefully it doesn’t get put on the back burner after a Splash redo. I want to believe this refurb/ reimagine is on their radar. It needs the broken effects fixed and some 21st century love they ve been giving the small dark rides.

SuddenStorm

And since today's kids aren't even familiar with the Indiana Jones films, I don't see Disney doing it (I'm not even sure they'd do it if they had a perfect, fresh IP to justify the investment). So all we can do is enjoy the decline.

Huh?

Indy, like Star Wars is still beloved and is being introduced to newer generations. Not to mention the ride works on its own- you can enjoy it without having ever seen an Indy film.

Indy hasn't had a good film come out since before the attraction was built and the ride remains incredibly popular.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

That’s what I was getting at with starting the refurb after MMRR opens and that I want to see some modern bells and whistles. It needs to be a good long refurb even if it takes a year. With MMRR and GE open they can afford to have it down for that long. Hopefully it doesn’t get put on the back burner after a Splash redo. I want to believe this refurb/ reimagine is on their radar. It needs the broken effects fixed and some 21st century love they ve been giving the small dark rides but on an E ticket level.

Why refurb a beloved attraction when you can gut and completely retheme a different beloved attraction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom